Latest News

  • Archive

    Hateley ready to shock the champions

  • Archive

    Motherwell U19s vs Rangers U19s

  • Archive

    Officials appointed for Ibrox encounter

  • Archive

    Rangers Ticket Information

  • Archive

    Humphrey keen for Scotland chance

  • Archive

    U19s cup win in pictures

  • Archive

    Motherwell U19s 3 -0 Stirling U19s

  • Archive

    Dundee United Hospitality

  • Archive

    Murphy’s battle cry

  • Archive

    Murphy gives U21s hope

  • Archive

    Hateley ready to shock the champions

    Tom Hateley reckons Motherwell have a great chance of taking a positive result from Saturday’s daunting trip to Ibrox.

    Walter Smith’s men are unbeaten in all competitions this season and will be looking to make it eight SPL wins on the trot against Craig Brown’s troops this weekend.

    “Since Archie and the gaffer have come in they’ve drummed into us that we are all very good footballers and we can go anywhere and get a result. We have a great group of lads and there is a lot of belief; we know Rangers will be favourites but we think we have a chance,” the former Reading man said confidently.

    “Of course Rangers and Celtic are tough places to go, but if you go there expecting to get beat then that is the kind of defeatist attitude then you’ve lost the match already.”

    Motherwell’s 09/10 Young Player of the Year seemed visibly refreshed after the short international break, and he admits everyone at the club was buoyed by going into the short hiatus sitting in third spot in the SPL.

    “I’m feeling really good after the break, we had an early start to the season with the European games so it was nice to get a little break – and the boys have come back in firing this week,” he praised.

    “It’s especially good when you’re sitting in third. It’s a great feeling to look at the table and see yourself in that position and know you don’t have a game for a couple of weeks and that won’t change for a while.

    It is clear third spot is something everyone at Motherwell is keen to retain, with Hateley confidently proclaiming:  “I don’t see why we can’t finish third. Of course there are clubs around us who are perhaps considered bigger clubs, but we feel more than capable of winning every match we go out and play.

    “We have Dundee United coming up later in the month and have a massive League Cup tie coming up too, so there are big tests to come and we are ready – but we won’t get ahead of ourselves.”

    Another reason to be cheerful for ‘Well is the clubs extraordinary away form of the club this season. The Steelmen head to Govan defending a 100% record on the road, and the player admits that breeds confidence – even though Ibrox is a different proposition from Perth, Kilmarnock or Edinburgh.

    Tom recalled: “We’ve got a good away record, and that’s down to the gaffer.”

    “That’s not something we think about. We get told to do a job and we’ll go out and do what we’re told and exact the tactics which we are given.

    “We’ve got some massive games coming up in the next few weeks that can make a massive difference to our season, and we go into the games with our heads screwed on and looking to do whatever we need to do in order to get the result.

    Hateley admits that there is a special feeling to returning to his father’s old stomping ground, and the stadium where he grew up watching his football – but that won’t cause him to lose his focus.

    The versatile midfielder insisted: “You shouldn’t be a football player if you’re not excited about going somewhere like Glasgow. It’s somewhere I went to regularly growing up and for me to go there and play is very special.

    “It’s a massive football club but I’m not going there to enjoy the memories; I’m going there as a Motherwell player to get three points.

    Tom has set about writing his own history regarding Rangers, starting with a stunning 30-yard free-kick to give ‘Well the lead against the Ibrox club back in February. It was Hateley’s first strike for The Steelmen, and the 21-year old fancies another on Saturday.

    “If I score another free-kick like that I will be delighted; it was my first goal for Motherwell and it wasn’t a bad one!” Monte Carlo-born Hateley laughed.

    “Sometimes you feel like you are just striking the ball well, and I feel like that this week, so if we get another free-kick tomorrow I’ll feel confident of doing the same thing again.”

  • Archive

    Motherwell U19s vs Rangers U19s

    The Under 19s return to league business this coming Saturday when Rangers are the visitors to the Creamery Park, Bathgate.

    The Steelmen are top of the Clydesdale Bank Under 19s League Table but have played more games than some of the closest challengers.

    Indeed, Saturday’s opponents Rangers have a 100% record having won their first three games but sit sixth in the table such is the unpredictable nature of the fixture scheduling.

    So it’s sure to be a fairly even, exciting encounter with plenty at stake for both teams.

    Head of Youth Development Gordon Young said, “Games against the Old Firm are always special no matter what level you play at.

    “However, we will treat this game no different to any other we face. The players are buoyed by a good SFA Youth Cup result last weekend and go into the game in good form.

    “What with Rangers still unbeaten, there could be a right good game in prospect.”

    The game will kick-off at 11am – Entry for spectators is free of charge and ‘Well fans are encouraged along to give the youngsters plenty of support.

  • Archive

    Officials appointed for Ibrox encounter

    Referee for Saturday’s trip to Ibrox will be the relatively unfamiliar face of Stephen Finnie.

    The 40-year-old, a Grade One official for almost five years, will be taking charge of only his third Motherwell game.

    The first, in his ‘debut’ season, was back in March 2007 when a Scott McDonald double gave ‘Well a comfortable 2-0 win over Dunfermline at Fir Park.

    His second, some seven months later, came when ‘Well, under the tutorship of Mark McGhee, went down 1-0 to Dundee United at Tannadice courtesy of a Darren Dods header twelve minutes from time.

    The last and final ‘Well appointment was at the tail end of last season, when he oversaw the 3-1 home win against Hearts last March when goals from Mark Reynolds, John Sutton and Jim O’Brien handed Craig Brown’s men an excellent three points.

    In those three games, Finnie has flashed sixteen yellow cards; seven of them at players wearing Claret and Amber. No-one, as yet, has been sent for an early bath.

    Finnie will be ably assisted by Billy Baxter and Brian Templeton with Anthony Law on fourth official duties.

  • Archive

    Rangers Ticket Information

    ‘Well fans wishing to go to the game against Rangers this coming Saturday should note that tickets are only on sale until Friday afternoon.

    Tickets will not be on sale from Fir Park or Ibrox on the day of the game.

    The match is strictly all-ticket with prices as follows:

    Adults: £24
    Concession: £12

    * Concessions are listed as Under 16s (including school kids) and Over 65s

  • Archive

    Humphrey keen for Scotland chance

    Chris Humphrey admits he would jump at the chance to play for Scotland after confirming he qualifies through his Kilmarnock-born mother.

    The Motherwell winger has been in scintillating form this campaign and has won rave reviews for his recent performances.

    So much so, some have already touted him as a potential call-up, a prospect that excites the 23-year-old.

    “I was born in Jamaica but playing for Scotland would obviously be brilliant,” said Humphrey.

    “I am delighted that I qualify and would welcome any chance to be part of Craig Levein’s plans. My mother left Scotland when she was six or seven years old to stay in England. She then moved to Jamaica when she was 16.

    “I would love to play International football but I know it is dependent on me performing to the best of my ability. My priority is just to keep improving and see where that will take me.”

    Humphrey moved north last summer after an outstanding season with English League Two club Shrewsbury Town.

    However, despite an offer than may have taken him all the way to the Barclays Premier League and a difficult first season both on and off the pitch, Humphrey is adamant he made the right move.

    “My first season was difficult because of events off the pitch,” he said in reference to his partner suffering a miscarriage. “On the pitch, it was also difficult to get a game with Jim O’Brien playing so well.

    “I had the chance to go to Blackpool (before his move to Motherwell) but the bid was turned down but I was up for the move to Scotland and I have been delighted with the way it has turned out. Qualifying for Europe was a terrific achievement and I have really enjoyed the experiences in those matches. That’s where every player wants to perform.”

    With the birth of his baby daughter recently, coupled with Craig Brown giving him the attacking licence his game merits, the speed merchant has been turning in spectacular performances, most notably in the recent 2-0 win over Hearts at Tynecastle.

    “We play as a three in attack and the gaffer has really simple instructions for me. He just tells me to attack the full-back, to do what I am good at,” he smiled.

    Humphrey also puts in extra hours with Assistant boss Archie Knox with the sole purpose of improving his game, “His (Knox) approach is straightforward too. He believes you should practise what you will do in a game. I spend the extra time running down the wing and crossing or taking balls from midfield players and trying to move in on goal as quickly as possible.”

  • Archive

    U19s cup win in pictures

    Pictures from the 3-0 victory over Stirling Albion U19s in the second round of the SFA Youth Cup at Fir Park. These action shots and more are available to buy online at www.motherwellpics.com.

    [svgallery name=”stirlingu19s091010″]

  • Archive

    Motherwell U19s 3 -0 Stirling U19s

    Motherwell U19s booked their place in the 3rd round to the SFA Youth Cup thanks to three second-half goals against Stirling Albion.

    Neither team could break the deadlock in the opening 45 but strikes after the interval from Josh Watt, Jamie Pollock and Steve Howarth was enough to give the young Steelmen a win.

    Manager Gordon Young plumped for the same starting eleven that were held to a 1-1 draw with Aberdeen the previous week. ‘Well were boosted by the return of top-scorer Steve Howarth who had recovered from an ankle knock to take his place amongst the substitutes.

    Both teams spent the first ten minutes feeling each other out; the game being played predominantly in the middle of the park. However, things exploded to life on the 13th minute mark when Watt almost opened the scoring for the Steelmen.

    Collecting a magnificent 50-yard cross-field diagonal from Pollock, the Glasgow-born youngster, who only recently turned seventeen, skipped past two challenges before shooting across the goalkeeper only for the ball to drop agonisingly wide of the far post.

    Keiran McGachie was next to threaten for the home side. The former Stenhousemuir man collected a well-worked throw-in on the edge of the area and his quick turn and shot was well saved by Murray Jackson at the second attempt. Two minutes later, Ross McKinnon fired a curling kick from the edge of the box into the hands of the Stirling as ‘Well continued to look for the opener.

    It took the visitor almost 40 minutes to register an effort in an otherwise quiet first half.

    Centre midfielder Daley McSorley was the first to have a go, but his thirty-yard strike was deflected wide of the post at the expense of a corner. Two minutes later, Andy Pender found space on the left flank and, after cutting inside, fired a low curling effort that forced Tom Bradley into a decent low save down to his left.

    But it was the Steelmen who would record the last real chance of the half and it was that man Watt again causing the problems.

    After intercepting a loose midfield pass on the half-way line, the winger burst clear, showing defender Ross Alexander a clean pair of heels. Bearing down on goal the opener looked imminent but the pint-sized predator could only blaze a shot high over the bar and the chance was gone.

    Level then at the interval and Gordon Young opted to make a change with Bradley Halsman replacing Ryan Scanlan in the middle of the park.

    The Steelmen came out the traps quicker in a pattern that would match the majority of the second half. After just five minutes, Captain Ross McKinnon, normally a left-back, created space for himself inside the box with a neat touch but his low angled shot was well saved by the feet of Jackson. The rebound landed, awkwardly, at the feet of substitute Halsman on the edge of the area but his shot sailed high and wide.

    ‘Well continued to press in search of the opener and McGachie was once again denied by Jackson after the big striker had cut in from the left touchline, danced past two challenges, before unleashing a curling shot that was turned away in spectacular style by the Albion number one.

    Stirling’s reply came via a weak effort from Gary Brass that presented Bradley no problems whatsoever.

    Motherwell continued to push and push in search of a breakthrough but the Binos were in a stubborn mood. Lee Erwin got on the end of a lofted through ball only to drag a shot way wide of goal. Moments later, Halsman had a stinging drive from the edge of the area comfortably caught by Jackson and you had the feelings it may well be one of those afternoons.

    But the deadlock was eventually broke after 67 minutes and Josh Watt got the goal his play deserved.  A cross from the left, by Watt, caused all sorts of problems inside the Stirling box but Euan Murray just couldn’t put a finish on it. McSorley’s poor clearance landed at the feet of the winger who turned inside Danny Ashe and unleashed a stunning thirty-yard bullet that flew past Jackson into the roof of the net.

    Incredibly, moments later, Watt almost doubled his tally when he got on the end of a cracking cross from substitute Howarth but could only smash his shot into the ground and Jackson was well-placed to catch.

    With 13 minutes left on the clock, Albion passed up a great chance to equalise. A long diagonal ball from left-back Matthew Johnston dropped kindly for Brass inside the area. The big striker had his shot blocked brilliantly by Murray, only for it to loop up kindly for McSorley but the midfielder could only head over with Bradley doing just enough to put off the midfielder.

    It was to prove a crucial and costly miss as Motherwell would secure the win some eight minutes later.

    Liam Sloan looped a pass back towards Tom Bradley with the Binos pressing high up the field. The former Bristol City stopper lashed a ferocious first time volley down field putting Motherwell immediately on the attack.

    Howarth managed to control the ball and prod it to the supporting Pollock who did fantastically well to lob it neatly over the out-rushing Jackson and into the net. Game over!

    Unbelievably, less than ninety seconds later, Pollock almost repeated that feat when he got on the end of a McKinnon through ball, lobbed the goalkeeper but his effort dropped just over the bar.

    However, ‘Well wouldn’t be prevented from adding a third as Steve Howarth grabbed his fifth of the season with virtually the last kick off the ball.

    Pollock won and took a free-kick on the edge of the box that careered back off the wall. The Scotland U19 maestro teed up Watt with a neat wide ball but the quality was yet to come.

    Watt delivered a stunning back post cross that was met well by Howarth who finished with some aplomb, turning a difficult header into the far corner of the net from six yards out.

    It was the exclamation mark on an otherwise comfortable performance from the Steelmen. Stirling battled hard but created little in the way of clear-cut chances and Young’s men deserve to be in the next round.

    Motherwell: Bradley, Sloan, Murray, Lynch, McKinnon, Scanlan (Halsman 45), Carswell, Watt, Pollock, Erwin (Connor 84), McGachie (Howarth 68). Subs not used: Muir, Griffin, Brown.

  • Archive

    Dundee United Hospitality

    Motherwell versus Dundee United always has that little bit something special and the game on Saturday 23rd October will be no different.

    Both teams have made a reasonably solid start to the 2010/2011 campaign with ‘Well sitting third and United fourth.

    The teams meet in the SPL business on Saturday 23rd October and we want you to enjoy the big match in style.

    You will be welcomed on arrival with a glass of bubbly, then sit down to a fantastic three course meal.

    Complimentary Motherwell labelled wine will be served at your table and a pay bar facility is available via our attentive staff offering a drinks service to your table.

    Relax until before kick off with your complimentary matchday magazines and teamsheet before taking your seats in the centre of the Phil O’Donnell Stand for the match.

    Half time refreshments are served again in the Centenary Suite and a pay bar is available after match.

    Prices start from as little as £79!

    We also have amazing packages available in both the South Stand Boxes and the Millennium Suite.

    If you are interested, then contact Diane or Wilma on 01698 338062 or email commercial@motherwellfc.co.uk.

  • Archive

    Murphy’s battle cry

    Scotland U21 starlet Jamie Murphy sounded the rallying call ahead of Monday night’s return match with Iceland at Easter Road.

    Murphy was on the scoresheet in Reykjavik last night but couldn’t prevent his side from crashing to a 2-1 defeat.

    Despite the reversal, Scotland have a great chance of overturning the deficit and the 20-year-old is desperate to get to the finals next summer.

    He said: “We aren’t out of it in any way. We need a 1-0 win at home to go through to the finals which is all you can ask for really. We also needed a win against Austria at home and we did it that night.

    “Let’s hope it’s another great night for us at Easter Road. It might take us until the very last minute. We have scored a few last-gasp goals in this qualifying campaign and have shown we never give up.

    “It will be the same against Iceland and hopefully we can do it.”

    Murphy is tired of the Scots coming close and added: “A couple of times we have come close to getting through to the Finals, only to miss out.

    “Last time around we missed out on getting to the play-offs by one goal.

    “Let’s hope this time is not another hard-luck story and we make it to the Finals in Denmark next summer.”

  • Archive

    Murphy gives U21s hope

    Jamie Murphy scored a vital away goal as Scotland narrowly lost to Iceland in the UEFA Under-21 Championship play-off last night.

    The Motherwell striker, who has been in sensational form this season, put Scotland ahead but Iceland were not to be outdone at their National Stadium and fought back to take a lead into Monday night’s tie at Easter Road.

    Scotland started by defending deep, looking to use the pace of Maguire and Murphy to hit on the break.

    Aston Villa’s Barry Bannan looked lively from the off showing his class with trickery and quick feet, however Scotland failed to capitalise from a number of early set-piece opportunities.

    On 10 minutes Iceland’s Birkir Bjarnason showed great strength to hold off a heavy challenge from Scobbie in the wide right area but Caddis defended brilliantly under pressure at the back post to knock the resultant cross behind.

    Former Steelmen keeper Alan Martin pulled off three outstanding saves in quick succession when Birkir Bjarnason crossed a low ball which Sigthórsson, Sigurdsson and Gudmundsson all had had a go at finishing off during a frantic goalmouth scramble, but the Barrow keeper was equal to them all.

    Scotland then made Iceland pay for their missed chance by grabbing a fantastic away goal through Jamie Murphy. A dangerous ball over the top was collected by Murphy as the right back slipped and from 15 yards he smashed the ball past the helpless keeper.

    With Scotland galvanised by their early lead, Murphy was again at the centre of a promising Scotland attack.

    He drove across the face of the defence and was upended 25-yards out. The referee brandished a yellow card to Eyjólfsson.

    The set-piece was imaginative and very nearly put Scotland further ahead. Bannan ran over the settled ball, Maguire shaped to shoot then cleverly slipped in Bannan down the left flank but Wotherspoon’s run was flagged offside.

    The equaliser came on 34 minutes through a strike just as fine as Murphy’s at the other end. Bjarnason outstripped the defence and with his delivery only half cleared Gudmundsson half-volleyed a sweet strike from outside the box.

    Maguire hit the side netting after working his way in from the right and aiming his low left foot drive at the bottom corner but the sides remained level at the break.

    Billy Stark shuffled his pack at the start of the second half replacing Wotherspoon with David Goodwillie who went straight up top. Barry Bannan switched to the right and Jamie Murphy stepped back into a wide left position.

    Arfield hit the target on 60 minutes with a snap-shot after Bannan’s lay-off bounced awkwardly but Petursson held comfortably.

    Within minutes of taking to the field substitute Ormarsson broke Scotland’s resolve and secured a home win for Iceland. He shifted the ball onto his right foot and unleashed a 25-yard screamer.

    The goal sparked Scotland into life as they looked to equalise. Some sharper play around the box led to a scything challenge on Maguire but from 20 yards the Aberdeen man struck the wall.

    Substitute David Templeton also worked himself some space on the left but his effort went wide.

    Scotland will be without the suspended Scott Arfield for the second leg at Easter Road on Monday but a bumper crowd will ensure a grandstand finale to the tie.

    [Reports courtesy of SFA website]