Latest News

  • Archive

    Murphy wishing for ‘Well cup joy

  • Archive

    Officials appointed for Hearts clash

  • Archive

    Sutton aiming for Cup glory

  • Archive

    Stalwart’s praise for young guns

  • Archive

    Club say thank you to fans

  • Archive

    McCall thrilled with Hampden heros

  • Archive

    St Johnstone win in pictures

  • Archive

    Motherwell 3 – 0 St Johnstone

  • Archive

    Sutton desperate to impress

  • Archive

    Motherwell finish at Celtic Park

  • Archive

    Murphy wishing for ‘Well cup joy

    Jamie Murphy will use the joyous scenes that greeted the Motherwell players after their victory over St Johnstone as inspiration for the final against Celtic.

    Murphy began to realise how much their 3-0 victory meant when the Motherwell team bus was stopped in the road before fans flocked to welcome them at Fir Park.

    And he is eager to spark more celebrations when Motherwell face Neil Lennon’s men on May 21.

    “It was great to come back to Fir Park and see all the fans waiting for us,” Murphy said.

    “It gives you that incentive that if you do win the cup final there is going to be even more here and at the game celebrating as well.

    “You hear stuff that it means a lot but you never really know until after the game.

    “When you see the celebrations from the fans after the game and them following the bus, it’s great. It’s what you want to see as a football player, it means you are doing well.

    “It was at the Electric Bar on Airbles Road, the fans ran across the road and stopped the bus for a wee while. It was good to see, obviously everyone was enjoying themselves and had a great day out.”

    Murphy was outstanding against Saints, netting a spectacular solo goal, but the 21-year-old is still coming to terms with the fact he has helped Motherwell to their first Scottish Cup final for 20 years.

    “I was just looking forward to the game more than being nervous about it,” the former Scotland Under-21 international said.

    “It was a massive game for the club and all the players and myself as well, so to do well in a big game like that was great and it means we’ve got one more big game now.

    “It’s still sinking in, it’s not every day you score a goal in a Scottish Cup semi-final. I’m getting a lot of texts and phone calls and stuff, everyone wants to go to the final.

    “It will be great to have a big support there, especially my friends and family.”

    Murphy almost added a second solo goal when he glided through the Saints defence before slipping the ball inches wide.

    The pacy forward’s display drew comparisons with James McFadden from Motherwell midfielder Keith Lasley, who played with both.

    “It’s flattering but James McFadden will always be remembered by the Motherwell fans for who he was and what he did,” Murphy said.

    “I just need to keep trying to do well and hopefully make a name for myself here and take it from there.”

    Murphy has grown in confidence over the past 12 months or so and his faith in himself and his team-mates will encourage him ahead of the final clash against Celtic.

    “We know we have a good team and if we play well on the day, we are a match for most teams,” he said. So we just need to prepare right between now and the end of the season and hopefully do well in the league.”

    Motherwell will qualify for Europe if Celtic win the Clydesdale Bank Premier League, whatever happens at Hampden.

    But Murphy has not given up hope of securing a European place before the cup final by closing an eight-point deficit on fourth-placed Dundee United.

    “We’re trying to do as well as we can in the league, that’s the only sure way that we’re in Europe,” said Murphy, whose team face Hearts at Tynecastle on Saturday.”

  • Archive

    Officials appointed for Hearts clash

    Willie Collum will take charge of Saturday’s Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash with Hearts at Tynecastle.

    Regarded as one of Scotland’s best up-and-coming officials, this will be Willie’s third Motherwell game of the current campaign.

    He was in charge of the Co-operative Insurance Cup Quarter Final clash with Dundee United at Fir Park; Alan Gow’s late goal booking ‘Well’s spot in Sunday’s showpiece occasion. He was the man in the middle for the Semi Final too as Rangers scraped past a brave ‘Well side 2-1; Keith Lasley grabbed the goal for the Fir Parkers.

    Collum has had a busy, and at times, challenging season. Just before that Cup clash with the Arabs, the 32-year-old had been at the centre of an Old Firm storm after awarding Rangers a controversial penalty.

    However, to his credit, Collum has gone on to have another excellent season with highlights so far including three Champions League games in Greece, Germany and Romania, two Europa League games in Germany and Holland as well as the Euro 2012 qualifiers between France and Belarus in Paris and Bulgaria and Switzerland in Sofia.

    Last season, Collum took charge of three Motherwell matches. Jim Gannon’s side crashed to a disappointing 3-0 defeat at St Mirren in the Co-operative Cup and followed that with another defeat; by the same score line, at Tannadice some five months later.

    However, the most memorable, by far was the 6-6 draw with Hibs at the tail end of last season.

    Incredibly, Motherwell have never won a league game whilst Collum has been in charge. The only victory recorded whilst the Bellshill based whistler has been the man in the middle was the then CIS Cup win against Raith Rovers at the start of the 2007/08 season,  a Scottish Cup success at Inverurie the following season and the aforementioned win over Dundee Utd last October.

    His overall record in charge of the Steelmen reads three wins, seven defeats and two draws from twelve matches.

    In those games, Motherwell have scored 18 and conceded 24. 20 players have gone into the book, ten wearing claret and amber, while two players have been dismissed – Ian Murray of Hibs at Easter Road a few years back and Jerard Aafjes at Falkirk last season.

    James Bee and David Watt will run the lines, with Neil Watters on fourth official duties.

  • Archive

    Sutton aiming for Cup glory

    John Sutton insists Motherwell won’t simply make up the numbers in next month’s Cup final with Celtic.

    The Steelmen have achieved nothing, yet. Not a criticism; merely a statement of intent from the Hampden hero, who has already set his sights on becoming a Scottish Cup winner on May 21st.

    While other sides may be content to reach their first final in 20 years – to soak up the atmosphere and collect the plaudits – Sutton says that anything other than lifting the trophy would still amount to failure.

    The determined 27-year old insisted: “There are a lot of teams who would reach the final and think ‘that’s that.’

    “But most definitely we want to go on a lift the trophy; it was a good result in the semi-final as St Johnstone are a good side. Now we are in the final, against Celtic, we don’t want to just turn up, we want to go on and win it.

    “There are pictures of the 1991 side all over Fir Park, and you talk to people about Motherwell and that is the first thing that comes to mind.”

    The Steelmen reached the final after a blistering opening half, which saw the men in Claret and Amber two goals to the good within 14 minutes, before Sutton added a third in spectacular fashion five minutes before the break.

    Despite this vibrant opening, the big striker actually says that Stuart McCall told them to relax in the early stages.

    “No, he said the opposite,” the former Spurs youth laughed, when asked whether ‘Well had been under instructions to go for the jugular from the first whistle. “He actually said if you have a poor first 15 minutes don’t panic.

    “It’s a good pitch and he thought that would suit us. We didn’t play at our best but when we did get the ball down we cut them open a few times and were probably good value for 3-0 at half time.

    “It was a good goal to get [Sutton’s strike]. At the time it made it extremely difficult for them to come back. 2-0 at half time would have been okay but if they had got a goal at the start of the second half things would have been difficult, but at 3-0 made it very difficult for them.”

    The attacking options of Motherwell have garnered much praised after the demolition of the Saints, with Jamie Murphy gaining particular acclaim for a stunning display, ably aided by the likes of Humphrey, Lasley and Jeffers.

    Sutton was also his usual effective bustling presence up front, and his goal continued a stunning cup campaign for the big Englishman, who has now scored in every round of the competition.

    When drawn on the idea of potentially carrying that habit on in the final he had his priorities clear: It doesn’t matter if ‘Well lift the cup!

    “The main thing is getting a result in the final,” he admitted. “It would be great to take one step forward and repeat the feats of 1991.”

  • Archive

    Stalwart’s praise for young guns

    Stephen Craigan and Stevie Hammell hailed the magic of Jamie Murphy after leading Motherwell to their first Scottish Cup Final in 20 years.

    Murphy scored a wonderful solo goal to double ‘Well’s lead after just 14 minutes – ten minutes after captain Craigan had given McCall’s men the lead. It set the side in Claret and Amber on their way to a handsome 3-0 victory.

    Yet the ‘Well captain was modest enough to admit that the Steelmen had not even been at their best as they blitzed Derek McInnes’ St. Johnstone side – but he hailed the 21-year old who tormented the Perthshire club all day long.

    “When you have got the quality of Jamie Murphy who can take people on, beat them and create things, then you always know he’ll be a threat.” the ‘Well captain lauded.

    “We never felt totally comfortable, as I don’t think we started the game particularly well. In the first thirty minutes we didn’t pass the ball well, although we did get our goals at the right time.

    “We were struggling to get a foothold in midfield. They had the extra man in there and they were dominating that area. Set-pieces were also a danger against us.

    Craigan’s emphatic header was the Steelmen stalwart’s first goal in five years – with the 34-year old clearly having a knack for dramatic timing.

    But the ‘Well legend admits that he very nearly wasn’t in position to score the opener at Hampden. Indeed, without the say-so of his gaffer he might have still been in defence as Tom Hateley whipped in his sumptuous delivery.

    “I wasn’t even going to go up for the corner,” the captain smiled. “But the manager gave me the go ahead and I went up for it. It was a strange one. I didn’t expect to get the chance; I thought the goalkeeper had it covered.

    “You can tell by my reaction to scoring that I wasn’t too sure what to do with myself! It’s strange when you haven’t score for a while, but you can tell I was emotional and I was up for the game today to say the least.” 

    The goals from Craigan and Murphy were supplemented, five minutes before the break, as John Sutton lashed home a spectacular 30-yard strike, which looped over the flat-footed Peter Enckleman.

    And another ‘Well stalwart, Stevie Hammell was full of praise for Motherwell’s explosive front players who proved simply too hot to handle for the Saints.

    Hammell said: “I think they started by putting more pressure on us but if we can get the ball to our front players we can cause any team problems.

    “This helped take the pressure off, I don’t think we created a lot of chances but being two up in a big pressure game gives you a cushion and allows you to relax a bit.”

    The Steelmen are now in the pleasurable position of being able to relax and watch the second semi-final, as Celtic and Aberdeen battle it out for the right to join ‘Well at Hampden in May.

    And, regardless of who progresses, Hammell has his eyes on lifting the trophy.

    “Well we are going to go out later and we will see if we get back in time to make it to watch the game,” the left-back smiled after the victory. “I don’t mind who we get as it is great to get there.

    “Everywhere you look at the club all you see and hear is the 1991 stuff, and if we could lift the trophy it would be a dream come true.”

  • Archive

    Club say thank you to fans

    Motherwell FC today paid tribute to the 7,000 fans that made the Semi Final at Hampden such a memorable occasion.

    The Steelmen were cheered on by a positive, vocal and loud support which spurred the team to a terrific 3-0 win.

    And it was something that was highlighted by staff both on and off the field.

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall said, “I would like to dedicate the win to our terrific fans that have been absolutely fantastic since I arrived four or five months ago.

    “The backing the boys received today was terrific and that certainly helped lift their performance, particularly in the first half.

    “I hope each and every one of them has a great night tonight. They deserve it and I am so glad they now have a Cup Final to look forward to.”

    Chief Executive Leeann Dempster added, “It was fantastic to see the stands at Hampden so colourful and I want to thank the fans for helping us get there.

    “These are very exciting times for the club, we want to build on this and really push on. Between now and May 21st, I want the whole of Lanarkshire to be bathed in Claret and Amber and really get the community feeling behind the club and the players.

    “Getting to any Final is a major achievement and I want to pay special credit to Stuart McCall, his staff and the players for such an excellent display.”

  • Archive

    McCall thrilled with Hampden heros

    Stuart McCall hailed the “individual brilliance” that propelled his team into their first Scottish Cup final for twenty years.

    A superb solo goal from Jamie Murphy and a 30-yard lob from John Sutton secured Motherwell’s 3-0 win over St Johnstone before half-time after Stephen Craigan had been gifted a fifth-minute opener when Perth goalkeeper Peter Enckelman missed Tom Hateley’s inswinging corner.

    McCall felt his side had not been at their best in the first period but he hailed the moments of magic that secured Motherwell’s triumph.

    Murphy ran from the left flank across three Saints defenders before firing into the bottom corner and almost repeated the feat after Keith Lasley had missed a great chance following an impressive move, all in the first half.

    McCall said: “First and foremost I’m absolutely delighted to be in the final. I think we probably merited it but I looked at the clock after 25 minutes and we were 2-0 up and not really played to be honest.

    “We got a goal from a set-piece and a bit of individual brilliance from Jamie Murphy. I said prior to the game we had players in the team like Murphy who could produce a bit of individual brilliance and he certainly did that.

    “Without being too negative, we could have played better in the first 45 minutes. St Johnstone had a lot of possession but the third goal was a terrific goal, a good lay-off from Franny (Jeffers) and a great finish from Sutty.

    “The bits of excellence we got the two goals from and Lasley and Murphy just went wide of the post. We played in little spells, if these little spells are good enough to get you goals then great.

    “In fairness to St Johnstone they certainly deserved a goal in the second half but, all in all, job done.

    McCall, who delayed his team selection to allow winger Chris Humphrey to prove his fitness following a leg injury, admitted he wanted Aberdeen to shock Celtic in the second semi-final tomorrow.

    Motherwell would be assured a Europa League place if Celtic reached the final and won the league but McCall is only eyeing Hampden glory.

    “There is no way I cannot say we would like Aberdeen,” he said. “That’s not being disrespectful, it’s just being honest. If I stood here now and said I’m not bothered, I’d be a liar.

    “That’s no disrespect to Craig and Archie or Aberdeen, I’m sure they would say exactly the same. So, come on Aberdeen!”

    But he added: “In all seriousness, we’re in a final and if we can get our strongest eleven on the park, I’m confident we can give anyone a game on any given day.

    “If it was Celtic I know we would have to be at our very best but we’ve got a little bit of confidence in the fact we have beaten them already.”

    “Getting back to the game, it was a really difficult morning. Chris Humphrey had a fitness test at half eight because on Thursday he was no-go, the blood was swelling up in his leg. We had to delay the team selection to the last minute, which I don’t like doing.

    “To tell lads like Gavin Gunning and Maurice Ross they were out of the starting eleven and guys like Saunders and Ross Forbes, who was outstanding last week, out of the sixteen was really difficult. But we’re a group and everyone is behind each other.”

    McCall will now look to secure the future of several players after securing a top-six place in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League and a cup final on successive weekends.

    Steve Jennings, Sutton, Craigan, Maurice Ross and Jeffers are all out of contract at the end of the season.

    “We will hopefully be discussing next week, if anyone bothers to turn in, they want to go straight to Tynecastle for next week’s game,” McCall said.

    “They will be in on Tuesday and certain people will hopefully be discussing lengthening their stay.”

  • Archive

    St Johnstone win in pictures

    Pictures from the 3-0 win over St Johnstone in the Scottish Cup Semi Final at Hampden.

    These action shots and more are available to buy online at www.motherwellpics.com.

    [svgallery name=”stjohnstone160411″]

  • Archive

    Motherwell 3 – 0 St Johnstone

    [tab:Match report]

    Alan Temple at Hampden

    Motherwell reached the final of the Scottish Cup with a sensational display against St Johnstone at Hampden this afternoon.

    It’s the Steelmen’s first final in this competition since they won the  trophy back in ’91, and the ‘Well fans will be hoping that is an omen, as the claret and amber hordes prepare to march upon Mount Florida once more on May 21st.

    Fittingly, it was Motherwell legend and club captain Stephen Craigan who started the rout, heading past Peter Enckleman after a pinpoint Tom Hateley cross.

    The Saints defence completely failed to deal with the superb Jamie Murphy throughout the game, and the Scotland under-21 star made it 2-0 with just 14 minutes on the clock, firing brilliantly past Enckleman.

    The game was effectively ended as a contest in the most spectacular manner, as John Sutton lashed home a brilliant 30-yard drive.

    Keith Lasley, Jamie Murphy and John Sutton also came close in a match which could have provided an even more comprehensive score-line. Murray Davidson and Danny Invincible came closest for the Saints, who worked diligently until the final whistle, but were unable to penetrate the stubborn ‘Well rearguard.

    Motherwell come into this mammoth encounter on the back of a superb run of form, having gone four matches unbeaten and clinched top-six football in the preceding few weeks.

    So, unsurprisingly Stuart McCall was keen to continue the momentum and go for the jugular from the outset, selecting an adventurous 4-4-2, with Chris Humphrey and quarter-final ‘Player of the Round’ Jamie Murphy attacking the wide expanses of Hampden.

    There was a more cautious approach from a St Johnstone side who had only scored once in their previous eight SPL matches – and that was an own-goal – with Collin Samuel leading the line up front on his own. Captain Jody Morris returned from injury, while Michael Duberry also started at the heart of the Saints’ defence.

    Despite the Saints’ chronic lack of recent goals they came out of the blocks firmly on the offensive, and within two minutes Darren Randolph had to be at his brilliant best. Danny Invincible powerfully headed an in-swinging cross towards goal, and the big Irishman had to stretch to tip the effort safely over the bar.

    It was a warning which the Steelmen clearly heeded, because within a couple of minutes the men in claret and amber were in front. It came through the simplest route possible; a superb bending corner by Tom Hateley which left Peter Enckleman grasping at thin air, and ‘Well captain Stephen Craigan powered home a header at the back-post.

    Ten minutes later Motherwell doubled their advantage, as Jamie Murphy weaved his magic at Hampden. The former Scotland under-21 international cut in from the left flank, evaded two challenges, and fired low past the helpless Enckleman.

    Derek McInnes’ side pushed desperately to find a way back into the game, with Murray Davidson coming close with a ferocious 25 yard effort, although Randolph appeared to have to drive covered.

    For all St. Johnstone’s endeavour and possession, Motherwell were still looking vibrant and dangerous going forward. This was illustrated as Francis Jeffers linked up beautifully with Keith Lasley, with the latter firing just wide from inside the area.

    And the men in claret and amber made it 3-0 five minutes before the break as John Sutton lashed home a spectacular 30-yard volley past a flat-footed Peter Enckleman, all but assuring Motherwell’s place in the final by the end of the first half.

    John Sutton then curled a good effort inches wide of the post as the Steelmen ended the half firmly in the ascendancy.

    As expected, St Johnstone were sent out for the second period with a flea in their ear, and enjoyed much of the early possession, and they threatened in the early stages of the half through a Danny Grainger free-kick which was well held by Darren Randolph.

    That was immediately followed by a Murray Davidson shot, which was well turned over the bar by the ‘Well keeper, performing to his usual exemplary standards.

    A terrific defensive effort from Stuart McCall’s side managed to weather the Saints storm until the 80th minute, when Murray Davidson – the Perthshire side’s most impressive performer – managed to finally beat Randolph, only to see his header crash off the bar.

    That would prove to be the final measure of resistance from St Johnstone as the game petered out to a 3-0 score-line; and Motherwell will be back for the final in May.

    [tab:As it happened]

    Graham Barnstaple at Hampden

    Full time – 3-0, When the Well go up to lift the Scottish Cup we’ll be there!!!

    90mins – Three minutes of stoppage time to go before the celebrations can really begin.

    84mins – Crowd today is 11920, good turn out from ‘Well as it looks as though about 7000 is in Claret and Amber.

    83mins – Just under 10 to go and we are almost there, Saints fans are leaving and Well fans are finding their voice.

    81mins – Davidson hits the bar with a header from a corner, then Craig booked for a tackle from behind on Lasley .

    78mins – Jones comes on for Humphrey.

    75mins – Maurice Ross on for Jennings, he goes to right back and Hateley into midfield.

    73mins – Big shout for a Saints pen as May goes down in a challenge from Hammell, Brines waves away the appeal. Think he got it just about right judging by the TV pictures we have.

    66mins – Obligatory Yellow for Jennings – the new Nick Cusack? McHugh coming on for Jeffers, Steven May on for Saint.

    56mins – Another fine save from Randolph this time from a long range shot from Davidson that he turns over the bar.

    50mins – Robertson’s first involvement is to be shown yellow for a late, high challenge on Hutchinson.

    46mins – Second half underway – no changes for Well, one for Saints Samuel off and Jordan Robertson on.

    Half time 3-0 – Rapturous applause from Well fans, Saints fans booing!! Well deserved lead.

    45mins – One minute being added on.

    42mins – Well fans singing “Are you watching Craig Brown!!” I imagine he probably is!

    39mins – That brought back memories of O’Neill in the 1991’s Semi Final!!

    39mins – GOOOOOAALLLLLL – 3-0!! Sutton picks ball up 30 yards out turns and his volley can only be turned in by Enckelman!!!! 😉

    35mins – Jeffers rolls ball to Murphy, surging 40 yards run ends with a 15 yard shot just wide.

    33mins – Duberry yellow for a late challenge on Lasley.

    31mins – Jeffers combines with Lasley in the box, Keith leaves a defender in his wake but shoots just wide from an acute angle.

    25mins – Craigan’s goal is his first since April 2006, he scored against Dunfermline in the SPL then! FIVE years.

    23mins – Murray Davidson shot just over from about 25 yards out. Randolph had it covered though.

    14mins – Murphy’s 12th goal of the season.

    14mins – GOOOOAAAAALLLLLL – 2-0, Murphy cuts in from left weaves to the edge of the box and smashes a low shot into bottom right corner.

    4mins – Crags first goal of the season, what a time to get it!!

    4mins – GOOOOOAAAAALLLLLL – Hateley corner swung into six yard box, Craigan heads in unmarked.

    3mins – Game underway, Saints on front foot in the opening minute or two….with Randolph having to tip an Invincible header over.

    1mins – Saints kick-off.


    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “It was a great result; I looked at the clock and there were 25-30 minutes gone and we were 2-0 up but had not really played.

    “We got a goal from a set piece and then a bit of magic from Jamie Murphy. The third goal was fantastic.

    “I’m delighted to be through, we can play better but at the times it counted, we were very good.

    “I thought it was a competent display, good energy, willingness for each other and if you don’t put the hard work in, you don’t get anything so I’m delighted for every on of them.

    “I’ll let them have a shandy tonight, I’ll let the staff have a couple of shandies.

    “For eveyone, the supporters, the staff, the players, we’ve got to enjoy the moment and we’ve got a cup final to look forward to but, prior to that, we’ve got five great games in the SPL.”

     St Johnstone manager Derek McInnes:

    “Today of all days to be so poor defensively as we were in the first 45 minutes, very rarely do you get away with defending in the manner we did.

    “Motherwell will feel their forward players were inspirational at times, the third goal was an instinctive strike but we failed to deal with the first header.

    “The second goal was a catalogue of errors and to lose a goal from a set-piece is very unlike us. All that combined made it a difficult afternoon.”

    “You are always learning about your players and mentalities when it comes to the business end, can you make that stride to be successful?

    “Some of them were exactly how we expected, some of them didn’t do as well as they can. I know the ones who I can hang my hat on and trust if I get back to his stage again as a manager and St Johnstone get back to this stage.”


    [poll id=”50″]

  • Archive

    Sutton desperate to impress

    Top-scorer John Sutton hopes to lead by example in tomorrow’s Scottish Cup Semi Final at Hampden.

    Much has been made of the youthful nature of Motherwell’s squad. In the likes of Tom Hateley, Shaun Hutchison and Jamie Murphy, the Steelmen have young players in pivotal roles, but in John Sutton they have also have an experienced campaigner – one with the taste for the big occasion.

    Sutton has played in a cup final with St Mirren and has impressed against Odense for ‘Well – which was, until this Saturday, the club’s biggest game in many years – but now he wants to defeat St Johnstone and earn a place in what, he admits, would be the biggest game of his life.

    “I’ve been lucky enough to play in a few big games over the course of my career so far,” recalled the 27-year old, who has been in super form in recent weeks. “The match against Odense which could have seen Motherwell qualify for the Europa League group phase was huge and playing in the [Challenge] Cup final with St Mirren was very special to me.

    “But this match will be well up there; if not the biggest. I just hope this match leads on to an even bigger match and even more special occasion: a Scottish Cup final.

    “It’s nice to be scoring goals, but the most important thing is that the team is playing well. It doesn’t matter whether I’m scoring, assisting or just working hard and helping the team out. The only thing that matters is results and thankfully the results have been good.

    “As well as reaching this semi-final we have reached the top-six, which was our benchmark at the beginning of the season.

    “This match, along with our league achievements, gives us a great opportunity to do something very special this campaign.

    The anticipation and fervour of Scottish Cup semi-final week is a long way from the difficult run of form and tumultuous off-the-field matters which defined a difficult festive period for the club.

    Many felt the Motherwell were a sinking ship, but they have bounced back and, despite only being in charge for a little over four months, Stuart McCall has managed to impose his own style and beliefs on the squad and guide them to top-six football and a Scottish Cup semi-final.

    And Sutton never doubted that ‘Well would bounce back: “We have always done better when people have written us off.

    “A few managers have come and gone and everyone seems to say ‘Oh, this is Motherwell on the way out,’ yet we always prove the doubters wrong.

    “The manager came into a very difficult situation. At the start of the season we were fairly clear in third place in the SPL and then we dropped like a stone. I think we’ve done well to turn that round and stay in the top-six, but in many ways I think the season could be defined on Saturday.

    “Hopefully we can keep proving people wrong and have a good ending to the season. If we can squeeze past St. Johnstone I think, after everything that has happened, we’ll look back on a very successful year.

    “You see Kirky (Stevie Kirk) and other lads from that ’91 team around the club most days – maybe that can be us.”

  • Archive

    Motherwell finish at Celtic Park

    Motherwell will close the season with a final day visit to Celtic as the post-split fixtures were announced today.

    The Steelmen have two matches at home; versus Rangers on April 30th with 12pm kick-off live on ESPN and Kilmarnock on Wednesday 11th May, kick-off 7.45pm.

    That means away trips to Hearts on 23rd April, Dundee United on 7th May then the season finale at Celtic Park on Sunday 15th May – kick-off 12.30pm.

    >> Full Fixture List