Latest News

  • Archive

    Motherwell 1 – 1 St Johnstone

  • Archive

    TV: McCall previews St Johnstone

  • Archive

    U20s kick-off with Celtic this Tuesday

  • Archive

    It’s Levante for ‘Well

  • Archive

    Brines to ref Saints clash

  • Archive

    TV: Kerr signs for six months

  • Archive

    Panathinaikos defeat in pictures

  • Archive

    Panathinaikos 3 – 0 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Players prepare for Panathinaikos

  • Archive

    Hammell shirts up for auction

  • Archive

    Motherwell 1 – 1 St Johnstone

    [tab:Match report]

    Kris Jack at Fir Park

    A Bob McHugh goal 12 minutes from time salvaged a point for Motherwell as they battled back from being a goal and a man down to earn a draw with St Johnstone.

    Steven Hammell saw red after giving away a second half penalty, which Darren Randolph saved, before Murray Davidson headed the visitors in front minutes later.

    Substitute McHugh levelled after great work on the right from Nicky Law, before Rowan Vine also earned his marching orders from referee Iain Brines for a terrible lunge on Shaun Hutchinson.

    After the exertions of Athens, Stuart McCall made a solitary change to the side that fell 3-0 to Panathinaikos. He swapped Adam Cummins for Michael Higdon, setting out a more attack minded team to face Steve Lomas’ side. The Saints gave a first start to striker Vine, in the absence of the suspended Grégory Tadé, and we’re unable to field new signing Craig Beattie.

    Both sides were set up for a battle in the sunshine, and despite an early scare for Darren Randolph, when a lofted ball hit the bar and bounced awkwardly in front of him, it was Motherwell who looked the more likely to open the scoring.

    The first clear cut chance fell to Henrik Ojamma, after the Estonian had outmuscled Frazer Wright to latch on to Jamie Murphy’s ball up the left channel. After cutting in, he struck a ferocious shot low to Alan Mannus’ right, but the Northern Irish keeper got down to it well.

    Nigel Hasselbaink was looking tricky and should have done better when he found space in the box, only to fire disappointingly wide of Randolph’s left hand post. Up the other end, Nicky Law flashed a side footed volley beyond the far post form Murphy’s tantalising cross as both teams traded chances.

    Murphy then made a great effort to latch on to Hammell’s weighted pass up the East Stand side, but his deft lob over Mannus dropped off target.

    Despite some decent attacking play, St Johnstone could not carve out any meaningful opportunities, and Vine’s frustration led to a booking when he scythed down Hutchison on the half way line. On Motherwell’s next attack, Henrik Ojamma scudded an effort from the edge of the box right at Mannus, who could only punch it back in to the danger zone, before it was eventually cleared to safety.

    A foul on Murray Davidson by Shaun Hutchinson gave St Johnstone a set piece opportunity but Liam Craig’s lofted effort was palmed over the bar comfortably by Randolph as the scores remained all square.

    As the half came to an end, ‘Well had a decent shout for a penalty turned away, when Ojamma looked to be bundled over in the box by Anderson. Referee Brines however was not convinced there was a foul.

    Bob McHugh replaced the injured Omar Daley at the beginning of the second half,as Motherwell looked to stretch the Saints defence , but it was the visitors who had the better pressure of the opening spell.

    Murray Davidson drove a 20 yarder just wide after latching on to Liam Craig’s lay off before Hasselbaink was denied a penalty after a challenge in the box with Hutchinson.

    Ojamma showed a nice turn of pace on the edge of the Saints area before crossing for Higdon, but his header flew just past Mannus’ post, as Well looked to make one of their opportunities count.

    However, on 55 minutes, St Johnstone were given a spot kick when Chris Millar tumbled under a shoulder challenge from Steven Hammell. The veteran left back saw red for the foul, much to the ire and confusion of the home support. Captain Dave McKay stepped up to take the spot kick, but Darren Randolph made a great one handed stop low to his right to prevent the visitors from taking the lead.

    The save galvanised the home crowd, but they were silenced moments later when Lomas’ men took the lead.

    A corner from Craig was arrowed to the front post, and with a man less in defence, Murray Davidson stooped to head the Perth side in to the lead. Defensively, it was a poor goal to concede from a Motherwell point of view, and with a man less, they now faced an uphill struggle to get anything from the game. The ill Keith Lasley and Estonian Ojamma made way for Steven Hetherington and Zaine Francis-Angol, as their tired legs could run no more.

    McHugh had looked lively since his introduction, and he dragged an effort wide of the far post after latching on to a ling kick out, as he sought to pull his side back in to the game. With the man advantage, St Johnstone looked to counter attack when possible and Hasselbaink wasted a great opportunity to sew the game up when he outfoxed Hateley on the edge of the box, but his shot was blasted well wide of target. He was soon made to rue his miss.

    Some neat passing in the midfield broke to Nicky Law on the right, and after dropping his shoulder, he cut to the bye line before pulling the ball back for McHugh on the penalty spot, whose first time effort rolled past Mannus and in to the net. The celebrations inside Fir Park were loud, as the Steelmen had clawed their way back in to the game, and were given a helping hand towards winning it when Vine was given a straight red for a shocking lunge on Hutchinson.

    The winner almost came for Motherwell, buoyed by the goal and the Saints dismissal. Murphy found some space just inside the away box, and his cross was met forcefully by the forehead of Higdon. The header looked goal bound, but Mannus brilliantly prevented a match winning goal.

    From the resulting corner kick, it looked like Motherwell had snatched the points when the ball broke through a cluster of bodies before being cleared off the line, only as far as Hitchinson, whose first time shot looked destined for the net. Somehow it was blocked out and over for a corner, as the home fans urged their team to find a winner.

    However, it was not to come, and the game finished 1-1, with both sides reduced to ten men. It was a pulsating first home game of the season, and the draw was the least that McCall’s men deserved from the match.

    After a busy week, they now have a few days off before preparing for next weekends game away to Kilmarnock.

    [tab:As it happened]

    Alastair Reilly at Fir Park

    FULL TIME: Motherwell 1 – 1 St Johnstone. Craig and McHugh the scorers. Hammell and Vine sent off.

    90mins: 3 minutes added on.

    89mins: Late chance as Higdon wins a flick-on which Murphy latches on to. Unfortunately it’s just too far ahead for him to get.

    85mins: St J. Sub Cregg off for Adams

    83mins: And from the resulting corner, how we didn’t score there I’ll never know. Ball looked goal bound three times but was somehow blocked!

    82mins: What a save from Mannus there! Unbelievable stuff to tip Higdon’s head past the post.

    81mins: Looks set to be a dramatic end to this one!

    80mins St J. Sub- Davidson off for Higgins

    79mins: RED CARD: Vine sent off for a second booking. Terrible challenge on Hutchinson anyway.

    78mins: Bob McHugh makes it 1-1. Superb cut back from Law and the sub has a cool enough head to slot home. Come on!

    78mins: GOOOOAAAALLLLL !!!!!!!

    75mins: Craig booked for wrestling Francis-Angol to the ground.

    74mins: What a challenge there from Hutchinson! Hasselbaink had Hateley turned inside out but the big man got over to cover and clear.

    71mins: Hasselbaink almost kills the game with a lovely curled effort from just inside the box. Had Randolph beaten but goes past the post?

    70mins: Craig attempts a speculative effort from a free-kick what must have been 35 yards out. Sails well over.

    66mins: Also, as a side note, for anyone wondering, Hateley now has the captain’s armband in Lasley and Hammell’s absence.

    65mins: Decent effort there from Law. His volley looked goal bound but was blocked by Wright sliding in.

    62mins: 292 St Johnstone fans here. 4490 in total.

    60mins: ‘Well Subs – Francis-Angol and Hetherington on for Lasley and Ojamaa

    58mins: Davidson lost his man and nodded home a corner at the near post.

    58mins: GOAL: St Johnstone – Murray Davidson.

    56mins: Penalty wonderfully saved but ‘Well still a man down. Got it all to do now.

    54mins: RANDOLPH SAVES!!!!

    54mins: Penalty to St Johnstone. Hammell sent off.

    53mins: And straight up the other end, Millar drags his right footed shot just past Randolph’s post.

    52mins: Good play from McHugh and Ojamaa. Their one-two would have allowed Bob a free run at goal had he taken a better touch,

    51mins: Penalty shout from St Johnstone this time. Hasselbaink appeared to have been tripped as he went to pull the trigger. Nothing given!

    48mins: Liam Craig tries his luck with a 25 yarders. Not going to trouble Randolph with that though. Slow start to second half.

    45mins: McHugh is on for Omar Daley. Second half is now underway.

    45mins: That’s half time. Motherwell 0 – 0 St Johnstone.

    41mins: Penalty shout there albeit half-hearted. Ojamaa looked to have been barged off the ball but it would have been harsh if given.

    35mins: Been quite an entertaining game so far. Both sides with plenty of half chances. Just no killer touch as of yet.

    33mins: Red card for the advertising board after it scythes Hateley down as he takes a corner. Awful! Fir Park seems amused though.

    24mins: Dangerous counter-attack from St J. ends with Hasselbaink with his back to goal 10 yards out. Thankfully Hammy slides in to clear.

    23mins: Next there’s a hand ball shout and Ojamaa stinging the ‘keeper’s hands with a right footed drive just outside the box.

    22mins: Starting to liven up here. First Murphy goes close with a long range chip then Vine crunches Hutchinson and is booked.

    20mins: Fir Park crowd not happy there. Murphy looked to have been nudged in the back just outside the box. Nothing given though.

    18mins: Ramsden booked for hauling Davidson down just inside our half. Looked harsh.

    15mins: Our best chance of the game so far. Murphy beats his man and swings it in. Law meets it on the volley but can’t get enough on it.

    14mins: Hasselbaink goes way too close for comfort there. His left footed effort from 15 yards whistles just past.

    9mins: Corner for Motherwell after Ojamaa’s 25 yard effort is tipped past the post. Hateley’s delivery too long though.

    8mins: ‘Well with a good spell of possession. St J are well organised though and no real breakthrough was found.

    4mins: Bit of end to end football there. Both sides with crosses but never troubling either ‘keeper.

    2mins: Looks like Randolph lost the ball in the sun there. Very nearly dropped the ball into the net from a harmless cross.

    1min: Lasley and Murphy kick the game off.


    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “That’s one of my most pleasing results. Without making excuses for the boys, I know what they went through the other night in Athens – the heat, the size of the park, the quality they were up against.

    “And to go with the same 11, bar one change, I feared as the game went on. I felt if we wanted to win the game we would have to be ahead at half-time because of the exertions the other night. We got back at Fir Park at half five on Thursday morning.

    “I know they are professional players but it’s human nature, you could see them wilting. To go down to 10 men and lose a goal straight after Daz had saved the penalty, it would have been easy to roll over and get beat three or four, which could have happened.

    “I don’t normally celebrate a goal but I certainly celebrated that one today.”

    St Johnstone manager Steve Lomas:

    “Apart from the first 15 minutes, it was a very good performance. But when you go up and they have got 10 men, with the chances we had, we have got to finish them off.

    “We could have lost it, that was the ridiculous thing. I thought we passed the ball well and looked a threat going forward.

    “We got ahead and at that stage I could only see one winner. I thought it could have been four or five and probably should have been but when you don’t take your chances, something like that can happen.”


    [poll id=”109″]

  • Archive

    TV: McCall previews St Johnstone

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall has told his players they need to forget their midweek Champions League exploits with St Johnstone visiting Fir Park tomorrow.

    The Steelmen faced a gruelling two days in the baking Athens heat before taking on Panathinaikos with the temperatures sizzling to almost 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

    Despite the 3-0 defeat, the Steelmen turned in a very credible performance before a long journey home and a late training session on Thursday.

    But the Fir Park boss insists his players are ready for the match against Steve Lomas’ impressive outfit.

    “Mentally, the players took a lot of positives from Wednesday night,” he said.

    “We never got passed off the park or never got dominated. Physically, what with the heat, the plane journey and how late we got home, that could add up but if you go into any game thinking you are tired then you will play like you are. 

    “They have been fresh this morning and are looking forward to it. We’ll have to be at our best to beat St Johnstone, that’s for sure.

    “I’ve watched them already this season in their European game at McDiarmid Park and they’ve added some quality players with four or five new faces at the club and will be fresh.”


  • Archive

    U20s kick-off with Celtic this Tuesday

    Motherwell U20s will kick off the new season with a home game to last season’s Champions Celtic at Fir Park on Tuesday night (7pm KO).

    The game is the first in the new league since it reverted from what was the U19s in line with the Scottish FA’s review. 

    The club are wholly behind new set up and in a change of policy and to support the new league set up we plan to play the majority of our Home U20 matches at Fir Park – surface and weather dependent.

    The league is made up of fifteen teams – the SPL twelve plus Dunfermline Athletic, Falkirk and Hamilton Academical – these clubs have been invited on the basis that they have maintained a youth policy at “Performance Academy” level for the past three seasons.

    One club will have a free week in each round of fixtures.

    The games will mostly feature clubs’ younger talent but teams are allowed to play two over-age outfield players of any age plus one player who is under 23 and one of the two goalkeepers in the squad of 18 may also be over-age. Up to two trialists may feature but clubs must reduce the number of over-age players they field accordingly.

    In a change from normal first team football, teams can field up to five substitutes in a match, four of them outfield.

    Matches will normally take place on Tuesday night’s with fans encouraged to get along to support the future stars of the club.


    Adults and Concessions:

    Season book holders or Well Society membership: £2
    Standard: £3

    Under 16:

    Season book holders or Well Society membership: £1
    Standard: £2

    Chief Executive Leeann Dempster said, “As one of the clubs involved in the debate around the new league set up and as a club that has been renowned in the past for developing new young talent, we are really excited about the changes and are looking forward to the games here at Fir Park. 

    “I think it is important that when we can play at our home ground that we do as it gives young players a proper stadium experience and that can only be a good thing.  I hope the new kick off time will be popular too with the games being planned at 7.00pm on a Tuesday which gives supporters a chance to come along and see a U20 game.

    “On the subject of young players, as many of you will already know there has been an extensive restructuring of Youth Development here at the club which has culminated in a rebranding and relaunch from YD into ‘The Motherwell Academy’. 

    “I am delighted to say we now have access to a new training facility through a mutually beneficial partnership with Braidhurst High.  This is a partnership that we all hope will work for everyone and we are really excited by the move and working with the people at Braidhurst – the facilities there are first class and we feel privileged that we now have the opportunity to train and develop our young talent in such a good facility.

    “I reported previously that Gordon Young has moved roles to become our Academy Director, we have also appointed a new Academy Chief Scout who will be starting formally with the club in early September.  This is also a key role with additional support offered to enhance our talent development pool.

    “We’ll have more to say in the weeks and months to follow but rest assured that it is our drive to get the best young talent signed to our club and importantly to give them the best experience and opportunity to excel within the game.

    “Please come along to the U20 matches if you can as a great opportunity to see the next generation first hand.”

  • Archive

    It’s Levante for ‘Well

    Motherwell have been drawn to face Spanish side Levante UD in the Play-off stage of the UEFA Europa League.

    It’s the first time Motherwell have faced Spanish opposition in European football.

    Levante are from Valencia on the east coast of the country and play out of the 25,354-seater Estadi Ciutat de València.

    This will be their first ever venture into European competition after finishing an impressive sixth in La Liga last term.

    Although they have never played competitively against a team from Scotland, they have links to the county with current Celtic assistant Johan Mjällby counted amongst their alumni, along with former Rangers duo Gabriel Amato and Shota Arveladze.

    The ties are due to be played on August 23rd (home) and 30th (away).

    More to follow…

  • Archive

    Brines to ref Saints clash

    Referee for this tomorrow’s Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash with St Johnstone at Fir Park is the experienced Iain Brines.

    Iain will be handling his first Motherwell match of the new campaign although he will be a familiar face to Fir Park fans. He took three ‘Well games last year; the first was the 1-0 win over St Mirren back in August when a last-minute Tom Hateley free-kick gave the Steelmen all three points and the 0-0 draw with Dundee United in November.

    Most recently was the SPL win over Aberdeen in late March when a Stevie Hammell screamer secured all three points.

    He was even busier the previous season where he handled six Motherwell matches, more than any other official that year.

    He was the man in the middle for the games against St Johnstone in early September, St Mirren at Fir Park one month later, Rangers on Boxing Day, Saturday’s opponents Dundee Utd at Tannadice in January, Inverness in the Highlands last March and the Scottish Cup Semi Final against St Johnstone.

    A Nick Blackman wonder strike and an own-goal from Kevin Rutkiewicz was enough to earn the Steelmen all three points in Perth and late goals from Tom Hateley and Jamie Murphy gave ‘Well a 3-1 against Danny Lennon’s men.

    Managerless ‘Well were thumped by Rangers despite John Sutton’s goal early in the second half. A Kenny Miller double along with goals from Vladmir Weiss and a Steven Saunders own goal gave Rangers a comfortable 4-1 win.

    United were comfortable 2-0 winners thanks to goals from Johnny Russell and David Goodwillie and Inverness ran out 3-0 winners courtesy of goals from Sutherland, Foran and MacDonald – arguably the worst performance of that season.

    The 44-year-old, who has been a top-flight official for a decade and amongst FIFA’s elite group for five years and is now amongst the best and most respected in the league.

    His overall record in charge of the Steelmen is a bit of a mix bag. Of the 32 games he has taken charge of, Motherwell have won twelve, draw five and lost fifteen.

    In those games, 112 players have seen yellow, 51 of which in claret and amber, while three have been sent for an early bath.

    Iain will be assisted by Brian McGarry and Michael Banks with Des Roache assigned as fourth official.

  • Archive

    TV: Kerr signs for six months

    Motherwell have today completed the loan signing of Birmingham City’s Scottish defender Fraser Kerr on a six-month loan deal.

    6ft 3 inches tall from East Kilbride, Kerr is actually a product of the Motherwell Academy, spending six years at Fir Park before being spotted playing for Scotland under-16 team in the televised Victory Shield match.

    He joined the Blues in the summer of 2009, initially signing a two-year scholarship in City’s youth academy before signing professional deal last summer.

    And although he has never played competitively for the first-team at St Andrews, he has took some part in high profile pre-season matches whilst on tour in Hong Kong, China and Ireland as well as being listed amongst the substitutes for a FA Cup clash with Coventry and a Europa League play-off second leg against CD Nacional of Portugal.

    [pullquote]My aim is to try and win a first-team place. I don’t expect to just walk into the team at all. But I will work as hard as I can in training and if the chance comes along, I want to take it.[/pullquote]

    The speedy nineteen-year old has been at the club for several weeks now and will form part of the first-team squad for forthcoming domestic and European ties.

    He told MFC TV: “Obviously I spent a lot of time at Fir Park when I was young and it’s great to be back home again seeing a lot of old faces again.

    “I know a few of the boys like Stuart Carswell and Josh Watt so it has been easy to settle in.

    “My aim is to try and win a first-team place. I don’t expect to just walk into the team at all. But I will work as hard as I can in training and if the chance comes along, I want to take it.”


  • Archive

    Panathinaikos defeat in pictures

    Pictures from the 3-0 defeat by Panathinaikos in the Champions League Third Qualifying Round, Second Leg at The Olympic Stadium.

    These action shots and more are available to buy online at

    [svgallery name=”panathinaikos080812″]

  • Archive

    Panathinaikos 3 – 0 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

    Alan Burrows @ the Olympic Stadium

    Motherwell were eliminated from the UEFA Champions League in the baking Greek heat as Panathinaikos ran out comfortable 3-0 winners at the Olympic Stadium.

    The Steelmen battled hard and deservedly went in level at the interval, even mustering a couple of shots at goal.

    But a gem of a free-kick from Lazaros Christodoulopoulos and a quick counter from speed-merchant Charis Mavrias had the travelling ‘Well fans thinking back to the home leg.

    By the time Ivorian Ibrahim Sissoko added a third a brave and battling Steelmen were spent but far from disgraced.

    Stuart McCall made just one change from the side that drew 0-0 with Ross County in the Highlands last Saturday. Michael Higdon was sacrificed for young Adam Cummins as Stuart McCall shuffled the formation going three at the back with the two wide players supporting the solitary Henrik Ojamaa in attack.

    It was a fairly even in the first few minutes although the home side could claim the better of the chances. Toché trundled a half-chance at Darren Randolph before passing up a glorious opportunity just seconds later. Collecting the ball from a neat pass, the Spaniard had the whole goal to aim at but somehow blasted it wide when a goal seemed certain.

    The Steelmen came more and more into things and knocked the ball about well in the stifling Greek heat but were unable to open up the opposition defence.

    In contrast, Toché looked to have been presented with yet another glorious chance to score but he was thwarted by the assistant’s flag although it probably saved the 29-year old’s blushes after a poor first touch.

    Motherwell finally made inroads into the Panathinaikos half and incredibly, with their first shot, almost took the lead. Skipper Keith Lasley collected the ball some thirty yards from goal and after taking a few strides forward, unleashed a stinging effort that forced Orestis Karnezis into a two-handed save.

    Shortly after, McCall’s men looked to have created a decent chance inside the box but Omar Daley opted to pass rather than shot on the edge and it was half cleared. When Hammell eventually swung in the second ball, Daley gave away a foul.

    It was a heartening sight for the 500+ ‘Well fans in the Olympic Stadium who perhaps began to believe the incredible could happen although last week’s goalscorer Christodoulopoulos served warning of his ability from a dead ball by almost netted a carbon-copy of his strike at Fir Park.

    Thankfully Irish International Randolph was well placed to block despite the best efforts of Jean-Alain Boumsong who had made the decoy run once again.

    The longer the half wire on the more ‘Well were making an impact. Another long range effort by skipper Lasley was testament to Motherwell’s competitiveness as the first forty-five went on. Indeed, the Lanarkshire men ended the half with an incredible 57% possession and a great deal of hope going into the second period.

    That was confirmed a minute in when Stevie Hammell’s excellent cross into the box caused confusion amongst the home defence although no one in Claret and Amber could capitalise.

    Down the other end, a couple of brilliant defensive headers from Simon Ramsden denied Panathinaikos as they looked to get a firm grip in the game. But just as it looked as if ‘Well had a great platform to build for the second period, it was Christodoulopoulos who would break Motherwell hearts with another free-kick.

    Yet again it was another harsh free-kick given against the Steelmen – Shaun Hutchinson again on the end of another questionable call from the match official much like he was in the first leg. However, that shouldn’t overshadow the brilliance of Christodoulopoulos as he curled a belter of an effort from about 22-yards leaving a diving Randolph absolutely helpless.

    There was a claim for a penalty from the hosts as Sissoko’s cross was blocked by a trailing arm of Adam Cummins. Although it did strike the youngsters hand as he slid to make the block, it was certainly more ball to hand from a close distance and the referee was right to way away the half-hearted protests.

    Motherwell legs were starting to look heavy as the home side went up a gear. Toché thought he finally had his goal after getting on the end of a Sissoko cross but his downward header was expertly blocked by Randolph to keep it at 1-0.

    Panathinaikos continued to push for more goals and Boumsong almost got on the end of another Christodoulopoulos’ free-kick but the former Rangers defender could only flick his header from the penalty spot high over the bar.

    The heat was beginning to take a real toll on the Fir Park men prompting McCall to introduce Bob McHugh in place of Henrik Ojamaa.

    It did little to stem the flow of Greek attacks with Sissoko firing a left-footed shot well wide of Randolph’s post.

    It was only delaying the inevitable though as Panathinaikos doubled their advantage and it was once again déjà vu as substitute Charis Mavrias netted from a quick counter. Collecting from deep, he ran and ran, cut inside the tracking Hutchinson before slotting past Randolph.

    With the game and the tie gone, McCall threw on both Zaine Francis-Angol and Michael Higdon and the latter almost brought about a decent chance but his duel with keeper Karnezis brought about a free-kick – a challenge that would no doubt be deemed reasonable in the SPL.

    Heading towards the closing stages, Panathinaikos added an exclamation point to their victory with a third. An excellent through ball played Sissoko in. The Ivorian kept his cool to slot under Darren Randolph for a goal perhaps the midfielder deserved for his performances over the tie, but it was very harsh a battling ‘Well who had given everything.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Alan Burrows @ the Olympic Stadium

    90mins – Full Time in Greece. Motherwell go out fighting.

    Goal – Sissoko (82). The Ivorian adds a third, breaking clear and slotting under Darren Randolph. Harsh on ‘Well now!

    80mims – Great defensive clock by Ramsden to deny a third. The former Bradford man has been excellent in both matches in this tie.

    Well Subs: Higdon and Francis-Angol on for Daley and Cummins…

    Goal Mavris (75). Its déjà vu for the Fir Park men as sub Charis Mavrias dribbles past the away defence to slot home.

    ‘Well sub: McHugh replaces Henrik Ojamaa. 20mins left to play!

    Pana Sub: Mavrias and Katsouranis come on replacing Marinos and Toche…

    63mins – Hutchinson booked for a trip on Lazarus…

    60mins – Randolph saves brilliantly from Toche. Spaniard heads after a great Sissoko cross. Pana have stepped it up for sure!

    57mins – Pen claim from Pana! Although it did hit Adam Cummins’ arm, he was only a yard away and the ref was right to deny…

    Very harsh free-kick given against Hutchinson, not for the first time in this tie, certainly didn’t help matters. Harsh on the ‘Well!

    Goal: Christodoulopoulos (50). Belter of a free-kick from the Pana skipper!

    48mins – Couple of terrific defensive headers from Ramsden saves an almost certain goal!

    46mins – ‘Well get us going again!

    ‘Well players making their way back on to the park for the second half! C’mon the STEELMEN!!

    57% possession for the Steelmen during the first-half… Just need to convert that into real guilt-edged chances if we can!

    HT Pana 0-0 ‘Well

    32mins – Vital block from Cummins as Vyntra lines up a shot inside the area. Corner is headed wide by the same player just after…

    31mins – Motherwell doing okay here… Pana look content to let us have the ball with the threat of going up a gear at any time. #COYW

    27mins – Offt! Las almost opens the scoring for the Steelmen. Stinging effort from the edge of the area is palmed away by the keeper.

    25mins – Looked as if Pana were lining up another dig from the edge but Nicky Law was there with a vital interception. Still 0-0 in Greece!

    21mins – Toche has another half decent effort in front of goal but before he can get a touch he is stopped by the assistant’s flag.

    Wifi is struggling now too! Seems it can happen in any stadium – even a 5 star one! Do our best via IPhone!

    6mins – Pana back in attack… Corner is punched away really well by Randolph!

    3mins – Seconds later, the same player should score with a great chance in front of goal but somehow puts it wide. Let off without doubt!

    3mins – Pana have the first shot – Touche hits it straight into the arms of Randolph….

    1min – Panathinaikos to get us underway here at the Olympic Stadium…


    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “For three quarters of the tie – the game at Fir Park and the first half tonight – there’s nothing between the sides.

    “It was cruel. But there is no need to pick the boys up mentally because there was a lot of good performances. 

    “We’ve been done by a free kick again. I thought that it was harsh. I doubt it would have been given in Scotland, because there’s no doubt Shaun Hutchinson won the ball. I heard the boy yelp from the sidelines and maybe that’s what decided it.

    “The second goal was a classic counter-attack. We had good possession 10 yards outside their penalty box and the same scorer from last week broke away and did us again.

    “And in the last 10-15 minutes the heat told.” 

    Panathinaikos manager Jesualdo Ferreira:

    Coming Soon…


    [poll id=”108″]

  • Archive

    Players prepare for Panathinaikos

    The Motherwell players met the Greek media and trained at the Olympic Stadium in Athens last night ahead of this evening’s Champions League Third Qualifying Round match.

    [svgallery name=”panathinaikosawaytraining070812″]

  • Archive

    Hammell shirts up for auction

    Stevie Hammell has made ten shirts from his testimonial match against Everton available for auction on eBay.

    These shirts worn by James McFadden, Steven Hammell, Nicky Law, Tom Hateley, Chris Humphrey, Henrik Ojamaa, Michael Higdon, Jamie Murphy, Keith Lasley and Omar Daley have been signed on the back by each player and on the front by the testimonial man himself, Steven Hammell.

    This is a unique opportunity to own a piece of MFC history and the auctions close on Thursday 16th August 2012.

    For more information or to bid on one of the shirts then visit the ‘auctions’ section on the official website or search ‘Motherwell FC’ on ebay.