Latest News

  • Archive

    TV: Jenks disappointed at defeat

  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 1 – 3 Celtic U20s

  • Archive

    ‘Well reject double offer

  • Archive

    Levante tickets on sale Tuesday

  • Archive

    U20s kick-off this Tuesday

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Fir Park

  • Archive

    TV: Randolph pleased with penalty stop

  • Archive

    TV: McCall proud of his players

  • Archive

    St Johnstone draw in pictures

  • Archive

    Motherwell 1 – 1 St Johnstone

  • Archive

    TV: Jenks disappointed at defeat

    The U20s caretaker boss Bobby Jenks was left frustrated as Motherwell crashed to a 3-1 home defeat at the hands of Celtic.

    The Fir Park side contained the likes of Lee Hollis, Jon Page, Stuart Carswell and Bob McHugh but came unstuck against a talented and vibrant Celtic side.

    First half goals from Bahrudin Atajic and Darnell Fisher gave the visitors a commanding lead at the interval although Craig Moore reduced the deficit with 25 minutes left on the clock.

    It was left to Denny Johnstone to seal the win for John Kennedy’s men with a sublime finish from just inside the area.

    [pullquote]A lot of the boys obviously lack game time but we haven’t had the personnel to arrange more games.[/pullquote]

    Jenks told MFC TV: “It was a hard first game to play in.

    “A lot of the boys obviously lack game time but we haven’t had the personnel to arrange more games.

    “I actually enjoyed the game but it slipped away from us in the first half. We didn’t compete in the middle of the park or get the ball up to the striker’s feet.

    “We came out in the second half, changed the shape a bit, and did a lot better and got ourselves back into it. We could have had an equaliser when Nicky Devlin went through but unfortunately we didn’t and they went on to win.”


  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 1 – 3 Celtic U20s

    Motherwell Under 20s lost 3-1 to Celtic in their first game of the new 2012/13 season.

    A free-kick from Bahrudin Atajic and a counter attack goal from Darnell Fisher had the Bhoys 2-0 up at half time, before Craig Moore pulled one back midway through the second half.

    However, a sublime piece of skill from Denny Johnstone ended the game a contest with a third goal ten minutes from time.

    Motherwell started brightly against John Kennedy’s young side and we’re first to threaten when Josh Watt’s direct running conjured up a corner kick. From Stevie Hetherington’s delivery, Jonathan Page headed wide of target.

    Celtic started to find their way in to the game with Patrik Twardzik testing Lee Hollis from distance, before the ‘Well goalie made a smart stop at the feet of Kirwan after spilling an effort from Jack Kirwan.

    Swedish striker Atajic then blasted a free kick over the bar from edge of the box having gone down under a challenge from Stuart Carswell.

    The visitors eventually took the lead on 34 minutes from a similar position, after Darnell Fisher hit the deck following challenge from Zaine Francis-Angol, which drew a booking for the former Spurs full-back.

    Twardzik fired the set piece in to the wall, but Page was penalised for encroaching, allowing a retake. This time Atajic found the target, as his right footed effort nestled in Hollis’s bottom left corner.

    For all their possession, Motherwell couldn’t carve out an opening, with another Page header from a Nicky Devlin delivery their best the home side could manage.

    In contract, Celtic were clinical and doubled their lead with only three minutes of the first-half remaining. Full-back Darnell Fisher broke up the right and, aided by a fortuitous ricochet off the thigh of Francis-Angol, he slotted the ball under Hollis from twelve yards.

    The second half carried on where the first left off with Celtic soaking up pressure and looking to create chances on the break. They could and should have added to their lead, when Hollis made a great save at the feet of Kirwan, after a sclaffed effort from Twardzik had evaded the home defence.

    Motherwell introduced Adam Asghar from the substitute’s bench was to set up Craig Moore to reduce the deficit. A perfect through-ball inside Fisher made its way to Moore, who had McNally back-pedaling towards the visitor’s box. The pint-sized hitman took another touch to steady himself before smashing the ball low beyond Fasan to make it 2-1.

    It was a deserved goal that galvanized the hosts so much so Nicky Devlin almost leveled shortly after when he ghosted in behind Fisher, only to spoon Josh Watt’s pass wide of the post.

    After losing the goal Celtic eventually settled and started to increase the pressure once again and after Denny Johntone had hit the post form around the neatly spot, he made it 3-1 to Celtic with a brilliant individual goal.

    Collecting the ball on the left wing, he pirouetted past Page, before unleashing a fierce drive high across Hollis. It was a great goal which effectively killed the game a contest.

    A Moore header from Kerr’s returned ball back across goal was the closest ‘Well came to pulling another back but it finished 1-3 Celtic with the youths plenty to work on ahead of the next match against Ross County next week.

    Motherwell: Hollis, Devlin, Francis-Angol (Cummins – 46), Hetherington, Kerr, Page, Watt, Carswell, McHugh (Shirkie – 62), Moore, Leitch (Asghar – 63)

    Subs Not Used: Stewart, Murray, Johnstone, Higgins

    Cautions: Francis-Angol, Page, Moore

    Goals: Moore (65)

    >> U20s League Table

  • Archive

    ‘Well reject double offer

    Motherwell have rejected bids for both defender Shaun Hutchinson and midfielder Nicky Law.

    21-year old Hutchinson, who is contracted until the summer of 2014, has been in excellent form of late and has been attracting interest from a number of top clubs south of the border before a bid from a Championship club was received late last week.

    Nicky Law has been a star since his arrival at Fir Park from Rotherham last summer but the offer from a League One club was deemed unacceptable.

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall said, “Whilst we understand every player at this club has a value, we also need to ensure we protect our interests by getting the right price for our talent.

    [pullquote]Rejecting both offers, which were significant in Motherwell terms, is also a sign of intent from the clubs’ board that they are not prepared to accept any bid that comes our way[/pullquote]

    “Shaun has been terrific for us since I arrived at the club and has been a virtual ever-present in that time. He has all the raw materials you would want from a centre-back; he’s young, big and powerful and the experience of playing in the Europa League and Champions League is standing him in good stead.

    “He is already a top player, I would say he’s one of the hottest young talents in the SPL, and we are certain he’ll mature into an even better defender as his experience grows. That’s why any offer for him needs to be realistic.

    “Nicky has been the cornerstone of a lot of success going forward over the last twelve months and is vital to us. His contribution from midfield was key in qualifying for Europe last term and any offer for him would have to reflect his contribution to our side.

    “Rejecting both offers, which were significant in Motherwell terms, is also a sign of intent from the clubs’ board that they are not prepared to accept any bid that comes our way.

    “Unless a vastly-improved offer comes in then it is business as usual.”

  • Archive

    Levante tickets on sale Tuesday

    Tickets for the forthcoming Europa League Play-off with La Liga side Levante U.D. will go on sale from the Fir Park Ticket Office on Tuesday 14th August.

    Tickets will go on full general sale but 2012/13 Season Ticket seats will be reserved for seven days to allow holders to sit in their usual spot if they so wish.

    Prices for the match have been set at:

    Adults:   £25
    Concessions:                                        £20
    Juveniles:   £15
    • Concessions are listed as Over 60s and Full Time Students with a valid matriculation.
    • Juveniles are listed as Under 16s.
    • If you are new to Fir Park, check our handy ‘New Fans’ section that will detail everything you need to know about matchdays.
    • Fans who require wheelchair access should contact Sharon or John McCaskie on 01555 870122 or email disabledfans@motherwellfc.co.uk.
  • Archive

    U20s kick-off this Tuesday

    Another reminder that the Under 20s squad will kick-off the new campaign with a home clash against Celtic at Fir Park this Tuesday (7pm KO).

    The league is made up of fifteen teams – the SPL twelve plus Dunfermline Athletic, Falkirk and Hamilton Academical – these clubs have been invited on the basis that they have maintained a youth policy at “Performance Academy” level for the past three seasons.

    One club will have a free week in each round of fixtures.

    The games will mostly feature clubs’ younger talent but teams are allowed to play two over-age outfield players of any age plus one player who is under 23 and one of the two goalkeepers in the squad of 18 may also be over-age. Up to two trialists may feature but clubs must reduce the number of over-age players they field accordingly.

    In a change from normal first team football, teams can field up to five substitutes in a match, four of them outfield.


    Adults and Concessions:

    Season book holders or Well Society membership: £4
    Standard: £5

    Under 16:

    Season book holders or Well Society membership: £2
    Standard: £3



  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Fir Park

    Extended highlights from Fir Park as a Bob McHugh equaliser sixteen minutes from time gave a battle-weary ‘Well a deserved 1-1 draw with St Johnstone.


  • Archive

    TV: Randolph pleased with penalty stop

    Republic of Ireland International Darren Randolph was pleased his penalty stop contributed to Motherwell picking up a deserved point at Fir Park this afternoon.

    The leg-weary ‘Well had just lost Stevie Hammell, who had been ordered off for a foul on Chris Millar, as the former Charlton faced a battle of wits with Saints skipper Dave MacKay from twelve yards.

    Thankfully for the home side, Randolph went the right way to make the stop and although Davidson netted soon after, there was no doubt it was a crucial point in the match.

    [pullquote]I think it’s the first time I’ve stopped a penalty; I keep going the wrong way![/pullquote]

    Substitute Bob McHugh later brought the teams level and Randolph, who will this week hope to win his first full cap as Ireland line up against Sebia in a friendly, was pleased with a point.

    “It almost feels like a win for us after the amount of games we’ve had recently,” he told MFC TV.

    “Nobody but the players know what it was like in Athens and how hard it was especially with all the travelling and it was another warm day today.

    “We knew we were tired but we also knew if we put the effort in for 90 minutes we could win the game.

    “We’re delighted with the result in the dressing room. I think it’s the first time I’ve stopped a penalty; I keep going the wrong way!

    “But it was a bit gutting to lose the goal so soon afterwards. We managed to get the equaliser so I suppose my save counts towards the point and it was a good feeling.”


  • Archive

    TV: McCall proud of his players

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall described today’s performance as one of the most pleasing in his career as a shattered Motherwell fought back for a 1-1 draw with St Johnstone.

    The Steelmen had only got back into the country at 5am on Thursday morning after facing Panathinaikos in Athens where temperatures at kick-off reached almost 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

    And that, combined with the long travel to and from Greece, had clearly taken its tool as the Fir Park starts looked match-weary even in the early stages.

    To compound matters, ‘Well were reduced to ten men when Stevie Hammell was adjudged to have fouled Chris Millar in the box.

    [pullquote]In my time here that is one of my most pleasing results because they stuck at it.[/pullquote]

    ‘Well eventually slipped behind when Murray Davidson headed home a near post corner but the home side dug in and Bob McHugh lashed on a leveller with just ten minutes to go.

    It was a brave, spirited and gutsy display and the former Scotland midfielder lavished praise on his players in his post match press conference.

    He told MFC TV: “I’ll never make excuse for my team and if we deserved to get beat then I’ll say that but I know what the lads went through in Athens the other night in the heat on the big park and I felt if we were to win the game today we’d have to come in at half-time ahead.

    “We had two or three opportunities and I thought we controlled the first half but just couldn’t get the goal. Second half I could see signs of tiredness and we got sloppy.

    “Mentally and physically we weren’t sharp but I understand why. To go a goal down with 10-men, I think a lot of teams would have wilted but we stuck at it and I don’t normally celebrate goals but I celebrated that as it was a great relief and they deserved it for their efforts.

    “In my time here that is one of my most pleasing results because they stuck at it.”


  • Archive

    St Johnstone draw in pictures

    Pictures from the 1-1 draw with St Johnstone in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League at Fir Park.

    These action shots and more are available to buy online at motherwellpics.com.

    [svgallery name=”stjohnstone110812″]

  • Archive

    Motherwell 1 – 1 St Johnstone

    [tab:Match report]

    Kris Jack at Fir Park

    A Bob McHugh goal 12 minutes from time salvaged a point for Motherwell as they battled back from being a goal and a man down to earn a draw with St Johnstone.

    Steven Hammell saw red after giving away a second half penalty, which Darren Randolph saved, before Murray Davidson headed the visitors in front minutes later.

    Substitute McHugh levelled after great work on the right from Nicky Law, before Rowan Vine also earned his marching orders from referee Iain Brines for a terrible lunge on Shaun Hutchinson.

    After the exertions of Athens, Stuart McCall made a solitary change to the side that fell 3-0 to Panathinaikos. He swapped Adam Cummins for Michael Higdon, setting out a more attack minded team to face Steve Lomas’ side. The Saints gave a first start to striker Vine, in the absence of the suspended Grégory Tadé, and we’re unable to field new signing Craig Beattie.

    Both sides were set up for a battle in the sunshine, and despite an early scare for Darren Randolph, when a lofted ball hit the bar and bounced awkwardly in front of him, it was Motherwell who looked the more likely to open the scoring.

    The first clear cut chance fell to Henrik Ojamma, after the Estonian had outmuscled Frazer Wright to latch on to Jamie Murphy’s ball up the left channel. After cutting in, he struck a ferocious shot low to Alan Mannus’ right, but the Northern Irish keeper got down to it well.

    Nigel Hasselbaink was looking tricky and should have done better when he found space in the box, only to fire disappointingly wide of Randolph’s left hand post. Up the other end, Nicky Law flashed a side footed volley beyond the far post form Murphy’s tantalising cross as both teams traded chances.

    Murphy then made a great effort to latch on to Hammell’s weighted pass up the East Stand side, but his deft lob over Mannus dropped off target.

    Despite some decent attacking play, St Johnstone could not carve out any meaningful opportunities, and Vine’s frustration led to a booking when he scythed down Hutchison on the half way line. On Motherwell’s next attack, Henrik Ojamma scudded an effort from the edge of the box right at Mannus, who could only punch it back in to the danger zone, before it was eventually cleared to safety.

    A foul on Murray Davidson by Shaun Hutchinson gave St Johnstone a set piece opportunity but Liam Craig’s lofted effort was palmed over the bar comfortably by Randolph as the scores remained all square.

    As the half came to an end, ‘Well had a decent shout for a penalty turned away, when Ojamma looked to be bundled over in the box by Anderson. Referee Brines however was not convinced there was a foul.

    Bob McHugh replaced the injured Omar Daley at the beginning of the second half,as Motherwell looked to stretch the Saints defence , but it was the visitors who had the better pressure of the opening spell.

    Murray Davidson drove a 20 yarder just wide after latching on to Liam Craig’s lay off before Hasselbaink was denied a penalty after a challenge in the box with Hutchinson.

    Ojamma showed a nice turn of pace on the edge of the Saints area before crossing for Higdon, but his header flew just past Mannus’ post, as Well looked to make one of their opportunities count.

    However, on 55 minutes, St Johnstone were given a spot kick when Chris Millar tumbled under a shoulder challenge from Steven Hammell. The veteran left back saw red for the foul, much to the ire and confusion of the home support. Captain Dave McKay stepped up to take the spot kick, but Darren Randolph made a great one handed stop low to his right to prevent the visitors from taking the lead.

    The save galvanised the home crowd, but they were silenced moments later when Lomas’ men took the lead.

    A corner from Craig was arrowed to the front post, and with a man less in defence, Murray Davidson stooped to head the Perth side in to the lead. Defensively, it was a poor goal to concede from a Motherwell point of view, and with a man less, they now faced an uphill struggle to get anything from the game. The ill Keith Lasley and Estonian Ojamma made way for Steven Hetherington and Zaine Francis-Angol, as their tired legs could run no more.

    McHugh had looked lively since his introduction, and he dragged an effort wide of the far post after latching on to a ling kick out, as he sought to pull his side back in to the game. With the man advantage, St Johnstone looked to counter attack when possible and Hasselbaink wasted a great opportunity to sew the game up when he outfoxed Hateley on the edge of the box, but his shot was blasted well wide of target. He was soon made to rue his miss.

    Some neat passing in the midfield broke to Nicky Law on the right, and after dropping his shoulder, he cut to the bye line before pulling the ball back for McHugh on the penalty spot, whose first time effort rolled past Mannus and in to the net. The celebrations inside Fir Park were loud, as the Steelmen had clawed their way back in to the game, and were given a helping hand towards winning it when Vine was given a straight red for a shocking lunge on Hutchinson.

    The winner almost came for Motherwell, buoyed by the goal and the Saints dismissal. Murphy found some space just inside the away box, and his cross was met forcefully by the forehead of Higdon. The header looked goal bound, but Mannus brilliantly prevented a match winning goal.

    From the resulting corner kick, it looked like Motherwell had snatched the points when the ball broke through a cluster of bodies before being cleared off the line, only as far as Hitchinson, whose first time shot looked destined for the net. Somehow it was blocked out and over for a corner, as the home fans urged their team to find a winner.

    However, it was not to come, and the game finished 1-1, with both sides reduced to ten men. It was a pulsating first home game of the season, and the draw was the least that McCall’s men deserved from the match.

    After a busy week, they now have a few days off before preparing for next weekends game away to Kilmarnock.

    [tab:As it happened]

    Alastair Reilly at Fir Park

    FULL TIME: Motherwell 1 – 1 St Johnstone. Craig and McHugh the scorers. Hammell and Vine sent off.

    90mins: 3 minutes added on.

    89mins: Late chance as Higdon wins a flick-on which Murphy latches on to. Unfortunately it’s just too far ahead for him to get.

    85mins: St J. Sub Cregg off for Adams

    83mins: And from the resulting corner, how we didn’t score there I’ll never know. Ball looked goal bound three times but was somehow blocked!

    82mins: What a save from Mannus there! Unbelievable stuff to tip Higdon’s head past the post.

    81mins: Looks set to be a dramatic end to this one!

    80mins St J. Sub- Davidson off for Higgins

    79mins: RED CARD: Vine sent off for a second booking. Terrible challenge on Hutchinson anyway.

    78mins: Bob McHugh makes it 1-1. Superb cut back from Law and the sub has a cool enough head to slot home. Come on!

    78mins: GOOOOAAAALLLLL !!!!!!!

    75mins: Craig booked for wrestling Francis-Angol to the ground.

    74mins: What a challenge there from Hutchinson! Hasselbaink had Hateley turned inside out but the big man got over to cover and clear.

    71mins: Hasselbaink almost kills the game with a lovely curled effort from just inside the box. Had Randolph beaten but goes past the post?

    70mins: Craig attempts a speculative effort from a free-kick what must have been 35 yards out. Sails well over.

    66mins: Also, as a side note, for anyone wondering, Hateley now has the captain’s armband in Lasley and Hammell’s absence.

    65mins: Decent effort there from Law. His volley looked goal bound but was blocked by Wright sliding in.

    62mins: 292 St Johnstone fans here. 4490 in total.

    60mins: ‘Well Subs – Francis-Angol and Hetherington on for Lasley and Ojamaa

    58mins: Davidson lost his man and nodded home a corner at the near post.

    58mins: GOAL: St Johnstone – Murray Davidson.

    56mins: Penalty wonderfully saved but ‘Well still a man down. Got it all to do now.

    54mins: RANDOLPH SAVES!!!!

    54mins: Penalty to St Johnstone. Hammell sent off.

    53mins: And straight up the other end, Millar drags his right footed shot just past Randolph’s post.

    52mins: Good play from McHugh and Ojamaa. Their one-two would have allowed Bob a free run at goal had he taken a better touch,

    51mins: Penalty shout from St Johnstone this time. Hasselbaink appeared to have been tripped as he went to pull the trigger. Nothing given!

    48mins: Liam Craig tries his luck with a 25 yarders. Not going to trouble Randolph with that though. Slow start to second half.

    45mins: McHugh is on for Omar Daley. Second half is now underway.

    45mins: That’s half time. Motherwell 0 – 0 St Johnstone.

    41mins: Penalty shout there albeit half-hearted. Ojamaa looked to have been barged off the ball but it would have been harsh if given.

    35mins: Been quite an entertaining game so far. Both sides with plenty of half chances. Just no killer touch as of yet.

    33mins: Red card for the advertising board after it scythes Hateley down as he takes a corner. Awful! Fir Park seems amused though.

    24mins: Dangerous counter-attack from St J. ends with Hasselbaink with his back to goal 10 yards out. Thankfully Hammy slides in to clear.

    23mins: Next there’s a hand ball shout and Ojamaa stinging the ‘keeper’s hands with a right footed drive just outside the box.

    22mins: Starting to liven up here. First Murphy goes close with a long range chip then Vine crunches Hutchinson and is booked.

    20mins: Fir Park crowd not happy there. Murphy looked to have been nudged in the back just outside the box. Nothing given though.

    18mins: Ramsden booked for hauling Davidson down just inside our half. Looked harsh.

    15mins: Our best chance of the game so far. Murphy beats his man and swings it in. Law meets it on the volley but can’t get enough on it.

    14mins: Hasselbaink goes way too close for comfort there. His left footed effort from 15 yards whistles just past.

    9mins: Corner for Motherwell after Ojamaa’s 25 yard effort is tipped past the post. Hateley’s delivery too long though.

    8mins: ‘Well with a good spell of possession. St J are well organised though and no real breakthrough was found.

    4mins: Bit of end to end football there. Both sides with crosses but never troubling either ‘keeper.

    2mins: Looks like Randolph lost the ball in the sun there. Very nearly dropped the ball into the net from a harmless cross.

    1min: Lasley and Murphy kick the game off.


    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “That’s one of my most pleasing results. Without making excuses for the boys, I know what they went through the other night in Athens – the heat, the size of the park, the quality they were up against.

    “And to go with the same 11, bar one change, I feared as the game went on. I felt if we wanted to win the game we would have to be ahead at half-time because of the exertions the other night. We got back at Fir Park at half five on Thursday morning.

    “I know they are professional players but it’s human nature, you could see them wilting. To go down to 10 men and lose a goal straight after Daz had saved the penalty, it would have been easy to roll over and get beat three or four, which could have happened.

    “I don’t normally celebrate a goal but I certainly celebrated that one today.”

    St Johnstone manager Steve Lomas:

    “Apart from the first 15 minutes, it was a very good performance. But when you go up and they have got 10 men, with the chances we had, we have got to finish them off.

    “We could have lost it, that was the ridiculous thing. I thought we passed the ball well and looked a threat going forward.

    “We got ahead and at that stage I could only see one winner. I thought it could have been four or five and probably should have been but when you don’t take your chances, something like that can happen.”


    [poll id=”109″]