Latest News

  • Archive

    Hearts 1 – 0 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Matchday Live: vs Hearts

  • Archive

    TV: McCall expects it tough at Tynie

  • Archive

    TV: Ramsden desperate for football

  • Archive

    Collum to referee Hearts clash

  • Archive

    Watt joins Airdrie Utd on loan

  • Archive

    International round-up

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Fir Park

  • Archive

    TV: JJ frustrated with home defeat

  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 2 – 3 Dundee Utd U20s

  • Archive

    Hearts 1 – 0 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

     Kris Jack at Tynecastle

    A Danny Grainger thunderbolt in the 14th minute was enough to condemn Motherwell to their second SPL defeat of the season as Hearts ran out 1-0 winners at Tynecastle.

    In a game that had plenty of half chances for both sides, it was Grainger’s speculative effort which kept all three pints in Gorgie, as the Steelmen failed to go ahead of Hibernian in third place ahead of facing Pat Fenlon’s men next Friday.

    For the Well’s first match since the 0-2 defeat to Celtic a few weeks back, Stuart McCall made a couple of changes, Adam Cummins red card forcing him out through suspension for the trip to Tynecastle.

    Simon Ramsden would partner Shaun Hutchinson at the back, with Fraser Kerr slotting in at right back, allowing Tom Hateley to push in to midfield. Jamie Murphy started ahead of Estonian internationalist Henrik Ojamaa in the Steelmen attack.

    John McGlynn named an unchanged side from that which fell to a 1-0 defeat to Celtic last time out. Captain, and Jambos top scorers his season, Marius Zaliukas anchored the hosts defence, with youngster Callum Paterson looking to continue his impressive start to this, his first SPL campaign.

    The game started brightly for Motherwell as Jamie Murphy flashed an effort on goal after cutting in past Ryan McGowan on the left. His well struck, low effort was nudged wide by Jamie McDonald at his right hand post, as the Well looked to impress from the off.

    Hearts responded by playing some pretty football, with Arvydas Novikovas making a nuisance of himself in front of Fraser Kerr. Indeed, Lithuanian Novikovas was played in at the edge of the box by Andy Driver, only to be strongly challenged by Simon Ramsden. Had he gone down, the hosts would have had a decent penalty shout, but instead, and to his credit, he stayed up but lost the chance.

    Darren Barr then curled an effort from the edge of the box wide of Darren Randolph’s right post having been teed up by Driver before the hosts took the lead in spectacular fashion.

    Danny Grainger picked the ball up midway inside the ‘Well half, was given space to drive in to before unleashing an unstoppable effort across and beyond Randolph and in to the net from 25 yards. It was a magnificent strike for the former St Johnstone man, which the home fans noisily applauded.

    As ‘Well battled to get back in to the game, Keith Lasley, Jamie Murphy and Chris Humphrey all tried in vain from around the edge of the box to beat MacDonald, but could not find the back of the net.

    Michael Higdon was having a frustrating game up against Zaliukas, with the Hearts captain winning most of the high balls and free kicks when challenging with the ‘Well hitman.

    Hearts could have extended the lead when a Grainger free kick picked out Andy Webster at the back post but his first touch knocked the ball high back across goal and the chance was gone.

    As the half ended, Darren Barr flashed a shot wide of Randolph’s goal, before Shaun Hutchinson limped off with a hamstring injury, to be replaced by Stuart Carswell for the second half.

    The Steelmen looked galvanised after the break and a sweeping move almost brought them level. Nicky Law pinged a great diagonal ball out to Humphrey on the right, who beat Grainger to square the ball for Higdon at the neatly spot. The big striker got a great first time connection, but could not place it the right side of the post.

    Hearts responded by taking hold of the midfield and creating some chances of their own, Barr headed wide from Zaliukas’ flick on from Grainger’s corner. Former Well target Ryan Stevenson then flashed two efforts wide of the upright, one aimed top corner, the other low beyond the base of the post.

    ‘Well were keeping the ball confidently and Humphrey, who had breezed past Grainger all day, then stole the ball from the full back to set up Higdon but his shot from the edge of the box was right down MacDonald’s throat.

    Substitute John Sutton was barely on the park five minutes when he almost made it 2-0 to the hosts, when a corner was headed back in to the box by Driver, but the former Motherwell striker’s reactive header dropped just wide of the far post. Henrik Ojamaa then replaced Jamie Murphy as Stuart McCall looked to change his attacking options, and it almost worked instantly.

    Another ball in from the right, this time by Hateley, found Higdon at the back post. His header back was knocked goalwards by Nicky Law, but with MacDonald beaten, Andy Webster was on hand to clear off the line.

    Opportunities for both teams then dried up, with Callum Paterson and Henrik Ojamaa shooting over for their respective sides as the game petered out. There was a flurry of excitement in the closing seconds as Darren Randolph went up for a late, late corner, but Hearts managed to dig the ball out of defence under pressure from the Irish keeper.

    An equaliser failed to materialise for the visitors, as Hearts closed the game out to a 1-0 victory.

    [tab:As it happened]

    Alan Burrows at Tynecastle

    FT: Hearts 1 – 0 Motherwell.

    92mins – A scramble in the Hearts area with even Darren Randolph up. Hearts clear. Game looks gone now 🙁

    90mins – Three minutes of added time. ‘Well have a corner.

    89mins – Taouil fires a lot shot just wide before being taken off and replaced by McGowan from the bench.

    86mins – Omar Daley comes on for Nicky Law as ‘Well go for it.

    86mins – Sutton has a shot blocked on the edge of the area. Rebound spins to Paterson but he fires high and wide.

    85mins – Five minutes to go now… Will Motherwell get themselves level or will Hearts hold on. C’mon the Steelmen!

    81mins – Taouil booked for what I think was a hand in the middle of the park. Four Jambos in the book now!

    76mins – Sub Robinson is booked for a poor challenge on Lasley.

    75mins – Nicky Law’s header is knocked off the line by Webster. So close to a leveller for ‘Well.

    73mins – Murphy comes off and is replaced by Estonian International Henrik Ojamaa…

    70mins – Hearts make another sub. Darren Barr comes off and is replaced by Scott Robinson. Barr has played well to be fair!

    68mins – Wow! Not sure how that didn’t go in. John Sutton heads wide after things pingball about the area for a second or two. Close shave.

    65mins – Game has gone a little flat in the last few minutes… Few sloppy passes breaks up the flow of the match.

    Attendance today: 11,572

    60mins – Hearts make the sub as Novikovas is replaced by former Steelmen striker John Sutton.

    59mins – Zaliukas booked for a crude pull on Keith Lasley. ‘Well have stepped it up a fair bit now.

    58mins – Great chance for Motherwell – Higdon’s shot from the edge after Humphrey had robbed Grainger.

    57mins – Hearts counter after ‘Well on the attack. Cutting in from the left, Driver invited to shoot but his effort goes just over the bar.

    54mins – Nice one-two on the edge of the area between Murphy and Higdon but Hearts mop up.

    53mins – Down the other end, Ryan Stevenson fizzes a shot from distance that flashes wide of the post. End to end stuff…

    52mins – Decent wee attack there from ‘Well but can’t really capitalise. Hearts defence holds firm to their credit.

    47mins – Offt, that should be 1-1. Great cut back from Humphrey finds Higdon but he smashes the shot narrowly wide.

    46mins – Hearts get the second half underway! PA announcer here is brilliant to be fair!

    HT: Both teams back and ready to get us going again. Good luck to the Fir Parkers. #COYW

    HT: Confirm on that change with Carswell now on to replace Hutchinson as the Steelmen take to the park.

    HT: No news on Hutchinson at the moment but looked, by the way he was going off, that it was a hamstring problem. Hopefully not.

    HT: Seen the pen incident again at half-time – deffo seen them given before but would’ve been a wee bit on the “softish” side.

    45mins – Not enough time to make that sub as referee blows for the half-time interval. Hearts 1 – 0 Motherwell.

    44mins – Carswell is going to come on for Hutchinson. That’ll mean Hateley to RB and Kerr moving into the CB position with Ramsden.

    43mins – Break in play here with Shaun Hutchinson down getting treatment. Hopefully he is okay – doesn’t look good though.

    42mins – Darren Barr striding forward with the ball but his low shot from about 25 yards drags wide of the post. No trouble for DR…

    40mins – Driver bursts away at speed down the flank but thankfully, for ‘Well, nothing comes of it.

    38mins – Great bursting run from Humphrey down the wing leaves Grainger for dead. His cross into the area well cleared by Hearts.

    35mins – Great chance for Webster against the run of play. Probably didn’t realise how much time and space he had. Scooped over.

    34mins – BIG penalty shout; Webster through the back of Higdon. Looked like a handball afterwards too from here in the Press Box. Not sure what TV pictures look like though.

    32mins – Driver booked for a trip on Law on the edge of the box. Few complaints from the English winger.

    31mins – Motherwell have enjoyed a lot of possession in the last ten minutes. Need to try and make it count though.

    30mins – Great ball from Law has Humphrey in space on the right flank. Cutting in and beating two, he drags a shot just wide of the post.

    29mins – Low shot from Paterson forces Randolph into the low save but it’s comfortable for the Rep of Ireland International.

    25mins – Decent ball into the area from Hammell but no one on the end. Slightly better stuff from the Steelmen in the last few minutes.

    24mins – Shouts for handball against Higdon but not given by Willie Collum. Murphy picks up and curls a shot – well held by MacDonald.

    21mins: Motherwell break well down the right. Humphrey dinks it in for Lasley but his shot is scooped high over the bar. Little better there

    20mins – Hearts are dominant at the minute. The Steelmen really struggling to keep a hold of the ball.

    15mins – Stevenson gets on the end of a Novikovas cross but it goes wide. Hearts on the front foot, ‘Well need to weather the storm atm.

    14mins – Danny Grainger blasts an absolute belter from distance high into the top corner. Absolutely nothing Randolph could do. 1-0 Hearts.

    GOAL Hearts!

    12mins: Hearts have a shout for a spot kick as Novikovas goes down in the area but it would’ve been harsh I think. Red having none of it!

    10mins: Hearts come within inches of taking the lead. Driver sends a lovely curling shot from the edge of the ‘D’ just wide of the post.

    7mins: Nice ball into the channel has Motherwell struggling but lineo has his flag up thankfully. Hearts might have been in there.

    6mins: Ramsden robbed in the middle of the park. Hearts break through Driver but ‘Well get back in enough numbers to mop up the danger.

    5mins: Hearts get good width down the left but the ball into the middle was eventually cleared by Simon Ramsden in the ‘Well area.

    1min: Unsure if that was a save by MacDonald or a deflect wide. Either way, decent start for McCall’s men.

    1min: Jamie Murphy has the first effort at goal. Low drive takes a slight deflection and bounces out for a corner kick to the Steelmen.

    1min: Motherwell to get us going here at Tynecastle (eventually). #COYW #SIWY


    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “I felt the way we were pressing we would get a goal, but it wasn’t to be our day, but they are two very tight teams and two good teams.

    “We’re disappointed to lose the game, in a game I thought was well competed. You never like to lose games, there’s ways to lose games, there’s being absolutely appalling – not trying or whatever.

    “Today, I thought we were as good them, we matched them – a good Hearts side – we will take a lot of positives from it.” 

    Hearts manager John McGlynn:

    “It was a gritty performance and, because of that, I thought we just shaded it.

    “The three points were so vital for us.

    “If we can get three points against Ross County, which will not be easy, we will be not too far for the target we set for the first quarter.” 


    [poll id=”118″]

  • Archive

    Matchday Live: vs Hearts

    Motherwell travel along the M8 to take on Hearts at Tynecastle in the Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League.


    The teams will appear here shortly after 11.45am


    Tickets are still available on the gate at Tynecastle. Admission is priced at:

    ADULTS:   £25  
    CONCESSIONS:                        £20
    • Concessions are listed as Over 65s and Under 18s.
    • Fans who require wheelchair access should contact Sharon or John McCaskie on 01555 870122 or email


    There are no anticipated travel problems between Motherwell and Edinburgh and the area in and around Gorgie is fairly clear.


    There will be some fog around at first but this gradually dissolving away to leave a fine dry day with some bright then sunny spells developing. Temperature highs in Edinburgh will be around 11 degrees Celsius (52 Fahrenheit).


    Motherwell Media will bring you all the action from Tynecastle. Graham Barnstaple and Kris Jack will call every kick off the ball live on MFC TV:

    You can also follow match updates on Twitter and join in the debate on our Facebook page.

    If you are heading to Edinburgh, remember to check in and follow the Steelmen on Foursquare and listen out for Stuart McCall’s pre-match thoughts on Audioboo.

  • Archive

    TV: McCall expects it tough at Tynie

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall is expecting a tough encounter as his players return to competitive action for the first time in three weeks.

    The Steelmen have had a brief sabbatical after the Dundee United match was abandoned minutes before kick-off and Scotland’s games against Wales and Belgium.

    The Fir Park gaffer has even admitted he has had to cool the players in training such is the eagerness to get going again.

    But the former Bradford boss is certain his side will be tested to their maximum on Sunday when they come up against a talented Hearts outfit.

    [pullquote]The lads have played a lot of games this season and have now had a chance to recharge their batteries. Hopefully we’ll see the benefits of that come Sunday.[/pullquote]

    “Tynecastle is a tough place to go, there is no doubt about that,” he told the gathered press at his weekly press conference.

    “We’ve had some good results there recently, no better than last season where we clinched third place. That is fresh in the players mind and we’ll be looking to go and do the same again.

    “All managers will say this but the lads have been flying in training but this week I have to say after giving them a few days off last week, you can tell they haven’t played in a while. Everyone if flying into tackles and I’ve had to calm it down a bit.

    “The lads have played a lot of games this season and have now had a chance to recharge their batteries. Hopefully we’ll see the benefits of that come Sunday.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: Ramsden desperate for football

    Simon Ramsden says he and his Motherwell colleagues are desperate for a game of football after an almost three-week break.

    The Steelmen haven’t kicked a ball in anger since facing Celtic late last month after the Dundee Utd abandonment and the international fixtures.

    Now the former Sunderland and Bradford defender says the squad are itching to get back into action when they face Hearts at Tynecastle on Sunday.

    [pullquote]Everybody just can’t wait for the game to come this Sunday and it’s a pity it’s not tomorrow.[/pullquote]

    He said: “I know Hearts are a very well supported team and have a good squad.

    “We’ve watched DVD’s of them and know it will be a very tough test this weekend. It’s one we’re looking forward to as we’ve not had a game for a few weeks now.

    “You can see it in training. Everybody just can’t wait for the game to come this Sunday and it’s a pity it’s not tomorrow.

    “We’re probably not favourites but we have a great team spirit and togetherness and are confident.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Collum to referee Hearts clash

    Willie Collum will take charge of Sunday’s Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash with Hearts at Tynecastle.

    Regarded as one of Scotland’s best officials, it will be Willie’s first Motherwell game of the current campaign.

    He’ll be a familiar face to most ‘Well fans having officiated at the top level for many years now, including two Motherwell matches last term.

    The most recent was the 0-0 draw with Rangers at Ibrox in early May, Rangers last SPL fixture at their own ground. The other match was Motherwell’s Cup defeat at home to Hibs; Colin Calderwood’s men progressing through to the Quarter Final of the Scottish Communities League Cup on penalty kicks.

    He did handle the abandoned Friday Night Football experiment when Motherwell took on Hibs but Steven McLean handled the re-arranged fixture.

    The season previous to last, he handled three matches.

    He was in charge of the Co-operative Insurance Cup Quarter Final clash with Dundee United at Fir Park; Alan Gow’s late goal booking ‘Well’s spot in the Semi Final. He was the man in the middle for the Semi Final too as Rangers scraped past a brave ‘Well side 2-1; Keith Lasley grabbed the goal for the Fir Parkers.

    He also took charge of the 3-3 draw with Hearts at Tynecastle in late April as ‘Well roared back from 3-0 down to secure a point.

    Incredibly, Motherwell have never won a league game with Collum in charge. The only victories recorded whilst the Bellshill based whistler has been the man in the middle was the then CIS Cup win against Raith Rovers at the start of the 2007/08 season,  a Scottish Cup success at Inverurie the following season and the aforementioned win over Dundee Utd last October.

    His overall record in charge of the Steelmen reads three wins, eight defeats and four draws from fifteen matches. In those games, Motherwell have scored 23 and conceded 29. 29 players have gone into the book, 15 wearing claret and amber, while three players have been dismissed – Ian Murray of Hibs at Easter Road a few years back, Jerard Aafjes at Falkirk four seasons ago and Paul Dixon at the end of 2009/10.

    Martin Cryans and Alan Mulvanny will run the lines with Bobby Madden on fourth official duties.

  • Archive

    Watt joins Airdrie Utd on loan

    Under 20s winger JOSH WATT has joined Irn-Bru First Division side Airdrie United on a three-month loan deal.

    The form of Nicky Law, Jamie Murphy, Omar Daley and Chris Humphrey has meant the 19-year old has struggled to make inroads into the first-team starting eleven.

    He will now form part of Jimmy Boyle’s side and will hope to be in contention to face league-leaders Partick Thistle at the weekend.

    He joins Jonathan Page (Hamilton Accies) and Nicky Devlin (Dumbarton) who are already out on loan at First Division sides.

    Watt told, “I am really pleased to get things tied up and I’m looking forward to getting started with Airdrie.

    “It’s a big thing for any footballer to train Monday to Friday then go and play on a Saturday.

    “I am hoping my three months there can help me progress as a footballer and when I return to Motherwell in January, hopefully I am a better player and can give the manager another option.

    “I’ve been at the club for ten years and I am still very keen to be involved with the first-team. But, until January at least, I will be doing everything I can to try and help Airdrie.”

  • Archive

    International round-up

    Several Motherwell players were in action over the last week in the latest round of international fixtures.

    Full-back ZAINE FRANCIS-ANGOL was again capped for Antigua and Barbuda as they lost to both the USA and Jamaica.

    The Benna boys were desperately unlucky against the States, losing to a late, late Eddie Johnson goal. However, Jamaica were too strong when the sides met in Kingston last night, Theodore Whitmore’s men running out comfortable 4-1 winners.

    Goalkeeper DARREN RANDOLPH had to be content with a place on the bench as the Republic of Ireland enjoyed mixed fortunes. Giovanni Trapattoni’s men were thrashed 6-1 in Dublin by a rampant Germany side but got back to winning ways in the Faroe Islands yesterday, winning 4-1.

    HENRIK OJAMAA won his seventh and eighth cap for Estonia as the Sinisärgid lost to Hungary before beating minnows Andorra. Ojamaa started in Tallin but a single Tamas Hajnal gave the Hungarians all three points. The 21-year old was a late substitute for Tarmo Kink last night in the 1-0 win in the Estadio Comunal de Aixovall.

    On-loan Birmingham City defender FRASER KERR played both matches as Scotland U21s played a double-header in Marbella against the USA and Canada. The US won the first match 2-0 but Billy Stark’s side got back to winning ways with a 2-0 victory of their own, goals coming from Armstrong and Watt.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Fir Park

    Extended highlights from Fir Park as the Motherwell Under 20s go down 3-2 to table-toppers Dundee United.

    (Audio Summary from Gordon Duncan)

    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: JJ frustrated with home defeat

    Under 20s boss Jonatan Johansson was left frustrated as once again his side turned in a decent showing but slipped to a narrow 3-2 defeat at the hands of Dundee United this evening.

    Not for the first time this campaign, the young Steelmen displayed glimpses of attacking prowess but were hamstrung by defensive frailties.

    United raced into a two goal lead, Hilson and Ferguson firing the visitor’s in-front on the hour mark. Craig Moore reduced the arrears before Jordan Moore secured the points in the ninetieth minute. There was still enough time for Bob McHugh to thunder home a consolation but Stevie Campbell’s side hung on for all three points.

    Johansson was pleased with his players’ application but disappointed ‘silly’ goals once again cost his side dearly.

    [pullquote]I don’t want to be negative but at the same time you’ve got to go through the goals and analyze why they happen. It’s something we need to change but we’ll work on it as a team.[/pullquote]

    “It was a good game to watch,” said the former Charlton striker.

    “We looked really good with the ball and they anybody who comes to our game will enjoy themselves but we go back to some negatives and unless we cut out the silly goals, we are not going to win games.

    “You can’t lose two or three goals and expect to win games. We are a bit short at the back, and although the two fullbacks did a good job they are not natural defenders. No excuses but we concede far too easy goals at this level.

    “Their first two goals were assists from our players and that is disappointing. I don’t want to be negative but at the same time you’ve got to go through the goals and analyze why they happen. It’s something we need to change but we’ll work on it as a team.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 2 – 3 Dundee Utd U20s

    Motherwell U20s went down 3-2 to Dundee United in an entertaining match at Fir Park this evening.

    Both teams were level at the interval but it was United who drew first blood, Dale Hilson latching on to a long ball to slot under the advancing LEE HOLLIS.

    Stevie Campbell’s side made it two on the hour with a superbly taken goal from Ryan Ferguson who curled a belter high into the top right corner.

    The Steelmen hit back quickly though and CRAIG MOORE bagged his fourth of the season when he capitalised on some slack United defending.

    The match was held up for five minutes after Willy Robertson had to be stretchered off with a nasty head injury.

    United secured all three points on the ninetieth minute when Jordan Moore slid home from close range.

    There was still enough time for BOB McHUGH to smash home a late consolation deep into injury time but it wasn’t enough as the Steelmen remain in eleventh position.

    Jonatan Johansson’s young side were looking to bounce back from a 2-1 defeat at East End Park last time out, where Bob McHugh’s opener was cancelled out by strikes from veteran forward Craig Drago and Alex Whittle.

    The Finn made just one change from the side that started against Dunfermline, FRAZER JOHNSTONE coming in for MORGYN NEILL with ADAM ASGHAR moving to right back and ADAM CUMMINS partnering EUAN MURRAY at centre back.

    The game started vibrantly with United passing the ball about well. Hilson should have done better than sclaff his effort when weaving his way in to the box for the visitors, after carving out the best of the early chances.

    Moore then almost put ‘Well ahead slightly against the run of play, after beating John Souttar to a bouncing ball. He clipped his effort over the onrushing United goalkeeper, but looked on in vain as the ball was scrambled off the line.

    JOSH WATT then forced Anderson in to a fine save after cutting in from the left, with Moore offside as he tried to prod in the rebound.

    Down the other end and Ryan Ferguson then brought Hollis in to action for the first time, with the Steelmen stopper blocking with his feet as the United midfielder hared in to the box. Hilson’s follow up on the loose ball was also dealt with easily by the former Airdrie ‘keeper.

    The visitors came closest to taking the lead when Jordan Moore rose in the box to bullet Ross Gilmour’s cross off the post. The striker will perhaps feel he should have netted given the time and space he had so close to goal. Watt then found Anderson in inspired form once more as he tested the away goalie with a vicious hit from 30 yards, which the keeper beat out at full stretch.

    As the half came to a close, Hilson almost gave the away side the lead, but dragged his effort just wide of Hollis’ left hand post after making space at the edge of the box.

    Where chances were squandered in the first half, they were duly tucked away in the second, as the fans were treated to a five goal thriller in the remaining 45 minutes.

    United took the lead when a long ball over the top came off the head of Cummins and fell perfectly for Hilson. The striker still had it all to do but he kept his composure and stroked the ball past the oncoming Hollis and in off the post.

    The lead was doubled a few minutes later when a wayward strike from Willy Robertson deflected off Murray and straight to the feet of Ryan Ferguson. The blonde-haired midfielder curled a pearler up and over Hollis from just inside the box. Having taken their chances, United were now 2-0 up, but they quickly saw their lead halved, after a defensive mix up allowed Craig Moore an opportunity.

    A poor looking pass forward from STEVIE HETHERINGTON split two defenders, and as Moore managed to stay onside he beat Anderson at the front post from an angle to bring his side right back in to it.

    With the game poised at 1-2 to the visitors, the hosts sensed they could get back in to the game, but despite the best efforts of Watt and Moore in trying to create, a leveller could not be found.

    The game was delayed in the final ten minutes after a sickening clash of heads between United’s Souttar and Robertson saw the latter knocked out cold, and taken off the pitch on a stretcher. No sooner had the game resumed than United sealed the win with a third goal.

    Hilson showed his strength and pace to outrun Asghar going in to the box, before laying a slide rule pass on a plate for Jordan Moore to tuck home from six yards, making it 1-3 to the Arabs.

    There was still time for another goal though as McHugh timed his run on to Watt’s weighted pass to perfection before blasting past Anderson to bring the game back within a one goal margin.

    The injury time for the head knock ticked over, as United ran out 3-2 victors at the end of a great game of football.

    Motherwell: Hollis, Asghar (Shirkie – 90), Leitch, Murray, Cummins, Hetherington, McCafferty, Johnstone (Thomas – 79), McHugh, Watt, Moore

    Subs Not Used: Stewart, Green, Neill

    Goals: Moore (62), McHugh (90)

    Booked: Hetherington, Murray