Latest News

  • Archive

    TV: Johansson reflects on Arabs defeat

  • Archive

    Dundee Utd U20s 3 – 0 Motherwell U20s

  • Archive

    Moore signs extended deal

  • Archive

    The Easter Soccer Camp: Limited places

  • Archive

    Law wins Cash Converters award

  • Archive

    TV: Law clarifies newspaper headlines

  • Archive

    TV: Carswell signs contract extension

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Excelsior Stadium

  • Archive

    TV: Johansson pleased with derby win

  • Archive

    Hamilton U20s 2 – 3 Motherwell U20s

  • Archive

    TV: Johansson reflects on Arabs defeat

    Jonatan Johansson conceded his side were well beaten by an impressive and well-oiled Dundee Utd side.

    The Steelmen played second fiddle to the Terrors, who are chasing leaders Celtic in the SPL U20s table.

    It was a poor night at the office for the youths who never really got going but for a ten minute spell either side of the half-time interval.

    [pullquote]We were well beaten by the better side; they are second in the league and you can tell by how they played[/pullquote]

    Speaking to MFC TV, Johansson said: “We were well beaten by the better side; they are second in the league and you can tell by how they played.

    “We conceded poor goals again with two penalties given away and that is very disappointing.

    “We use this as a reserve league but even so, this is where you have to show you are ready to take the step-up, keep 90 minutes of concentration and keep your levels up but we don’t seem to be able to do that.

    “Our best spells came ten minutes either side of half time and we really had to score, instead we give away a sloppy goal and that killed the game.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Dundee Utd U20s 3 – 0 Motherwell U20s

    Motherwell Under 20s crashed to a 3-0 defeat at the hands of an impressive Dundee Utd at Tannadice this evening.

    United charged into a 2-0 lead in the opening stages, Thomson and Gauld putting Stevie Campbell’s men on the way to victory.

    Right back Gilmour added a third from the penalty spot just after the hour mark, as United deservedly collected all three points.

    Johansson made two changes from the side that edged out Hamilton last Wednesday. Steven Saunders returned in place of Adam Cummins whilst Adam Asghar got the nod ahead of Jack Leitch in the middle of the park.

    The game exploded to life after just eight minutes when the home side took the lead.

    Ross Stewart blocked Scott Fraser’s low shot from the edge of the area; the home side reacted quickest and Gauld got on the loose ball, squared it for the unmarked Thomson who had the simplest of tasks, slotting it home from close range.

    Motherwell could have drawn level eight minutes later. Humphrey’s buccaneering run down the right left three in his wake. His pull back towards the ‘D’ was excellent but instead of hitting it first time, Carswell was forced into taking a touch and the chance was gone.

    United’s response  to that chance was instant and only a fantastic one-handed save prevented Thomson grabbing his, and United’s, second. The big striker managed to work space after Saunders had slipped but his fearsome strike was expertly blocked.

    However, United wouldn’t be denied a second goal some three minutes later when they doubled their advantage from the penalty spot. After breaking up an attack, the home side quickly broke through Ryan Ferguson. He eventually slid in Gauld who was brought down by the Saunders as he was lining up a shot.

    The striker dusted himself down and blasted it past Stewart who went the wrong way.

    The home side cranked it up a gear and should have extended their lead further. Gauld again teed up Thomson but he blasted over, Fraser had a curling effort well saved, Ryan Dow fired wide before sending a stinging free-kick straight at Stewart.

    Motherwell only really got going in the closing stages of the first forty-five. Bob McHugh posted the first chance on target with a low free kick comfortably saved by Phil Anderson.

    Minutes later, the goalkeeper had a much more difficult save to make when he turned round a Francis-Angol shot from the edge, after the Antiguan had gone on a marauding run.

    McHugh had the Steelmen on the front foot at the start of the second half and posted intentions early on with a spinning half volley that flew over the bar.

    It was but a fleeting moment of pressure as United got themselves back on top. Ferguson fired over before bringing out a good save from Stewart, cutting in from the flank and firing one at the young ‘Well stopper.

    Chris Humphrey, Motherwell’s best player on the night, tried to haul his side back into things with another rampaging run and shot that was well held by Anderson.

    However, the Jamaican would concede a penalty shortly after that effectively ended the match as a contest.

    The visitors surrendered possession cheaply, with the former Shrewsbury man caught the wrong side of right-back Ross Gilmour who was bursting into the area.

    In an attempt to stop his run, Humphrey bundled the youngster to the ground and the referee pointed to the spot for the second time. Gilmour took it himself and although Stewart went the right way, there was enough power to beat the goalkeeper.

    The rest of the match was fairly uneventful. Motherwell tried to get themselves back into things, but with little success. McHugh and substitutes Leitch and Thomas all had half chances, but never really made Anderson work.

    It was another poor night for Johansson’s men who are back in action again this Thursday when St Mirren visit Fir Park.

    Motherwell: Stewart, Neill, Francis-Angol, Saunders, Asghar (Leitch – 63mins), Carswell (Thomas – 80mins), Humphrey, Erwin (Shirkie – 73mins), McHugh, McCafferty, Murray

    Subs Not Used: Higgins

    Booked: Saunders, Humphrey, Francis-Angol, Neill

  • Archive

    Moore signs extended deal

    Motherwell Football Club are delighted to confirm young striker Craig Moore has signed a new two-year contract at the club.

    Although yet to make his full debut for the first-team, Moore has impressed both for the Under 20s this year and on-loan at Cowdenbeath, where has netted four in four starts.

    That figure would have been even more impressive but for fog, after the Blue Brazil’s match with Partick Thistle was abandoned twenty minutes from time with Moore already on a brace.

    Moore has appeared on the bench for Stuart McCall’s side back in November but was an unused sub in the 2-1 win at Tannadice.

    He did appear in the pre-season friendly against Raith Rovers at Starks Park and impressed despite such a short time on the pitch.

    The 18-year old will spent the rest of the season at Central Park and will return in the summer hoping to push for a spot in the first-team for 2013/14.

    His new contract ties him to Fir Park until the summer of 2015.

    [pullquote]With my future sorted, I am looking forward to the next few years. I will work as hard as I can to try and win a spot in the first-team squad then we’ll take it from there.[/pullquote]

    Speaking exclusively to motherwellfc.co.uk, Moore said: “I am pleased with how this this season has gone so far, and signing this contact is the icing on the cake.

    “I really enjoyed playing for Jonathan Johansson with the Under 20s and although the results weren’t going for us, I could feel the benefit of coming up against some experienced opponents.

    “Going on loan has also proved a great experience; I enjoy competitive football with Cowdenbeath every weekend.

    “With my future sorted, I am looking forward to the next few years. I will work as hard as I can to try and win a spot in the first-team squad then we’ll take it from there.”

  • Archive

    The Easter Soccer Camp: Limited places

    Motherwell Football Club Community Trust’s Easter Soccer Camp for boys and girls aged between 5 and 14 starts on Monday 1st April.

    During the Easter break, the club will again be holding our own Football Camp aimed at young people at the Fir Park AstroTurf.

    There will be 2 weeklong courses, the first week starting on Monday 1st April – Friday 5th April and the second week running from Monday 8th April – Friday 12th April.

    The Easter camp will provide a fun programme with special appearances from some of Motherwell’s first team players.

    For our football enthusiasts, we will have a wide range of football activities from dribbling, passing and shooting through to penalty competitions, and small-sided games

    We are passionate about improving the skills of all our players and our experienced SFA Accredited coaches will help young players take themselves to the next level.

    Prices are £45 per week, £10 per day or £5 per half day.

    For further information on times, a detailed breakdown on what you need to bring with you as well as bookings phone the Motherwell Football Club Community Trust on 01698 239 926 or alternatively visit www.motherwellsoccerschools.com.

  • Archive

    Law wins Cash Converters award

    Midfield maestro Nicky Law has won the Cash Converters Player of the Month for January and February.

    The former Sheffield Utd man played a pivotal role in driving the Steelmen up to second in the table and was presented with a magnum of champagne by lifelong ‘Well fan Susan Scanlan and family.

    Nicky told motherwellfc.co.uk, “It’s always nice to win these awards, particularly when it is the fans who vote for it.

    “I also want to thank our sponsors, Cash Converters, for running the competition and the Scanlan family for coming along to Fir Park to present.

    “I hope we can continue our recent run of good form into April and May and continue our push for a spot in Europe.”

    To win the chance to present the March Player of the Month trophy at Fir Park, enter at Cash Converters SPL Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/CashConvertersSPL?fref=ts

    You can also enter for the chance to take part in the Convert for Cash challenge and also the chance to Convert your Seat and sit next to the lads in the dugout.

    Cash Converters

  • Archive

    TV: Law clarifies newspaper headlines

    Nicky Law has today sought to clarify newspaper headlines regarding his future beyond the summer.

    The former Sheffield United and Rotherham Utd midfield has been linked with a move away from Fir Park at the end of his current contract.

    That prompted several headlines last Monday that Law felt didn’t represent what he actually said to reporters in the Press Room at Pittodrie.

    Speaking exclusively to MFC TV, the 24-year old made it clear that no decision has been made on his immediate future, nor has any other club approached him.

    [pullquote]The last thing I want is for the fans, who have been so good to me, to think I am not committed because that’s certainly not the case.[/pullquote]

    “If you are like me, you sometimes only read the newspaper headlines and not the story itself,” he said.

    “If you did, then you would understand the headlines didn’t match what I actually said. I didn’t issue a ‘come and get me plea’ to anyone, and I felt it was important to let the ‘Well fans know that.

    “I was asked at the time if it was flattering to be linked with other clubs, and I was honest enough to say it was. That is different to what the headlines made it out to be.

    “I said that I’ve had no contact from anyone and that is still the case now.

    “I also told the reporter that I will be speaking to Motherwell and will probably take their offer more serious than anyone. I’ve had two great years here, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it and we’ve had some great success.

    “The last thing I want is for the fans, who have been so good to me, to think I am not committed.

    “We have got seven huge games left and that’s my only focus at the moment, giving 110% and hope the supporters see that.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: Carswell signs contract extension

    Motherwell FC are today pleased to confirm young midfielder Stuart Carswell has signed a year extension to his contract.

    The 19-year old, a product of the Motherwell Academy, is now tied to the club until the summer of 2015.

    Bellshill-born, Carswell has played 41 times for the first-team since making his debut against Hearts at Tynecastle almost two years ago.

    He follows in the footsteps of Zaine Francis-Angol and Adam Cummins, both of whom have already committed their long-term future to the club.

    [pullquote]I’ve played quite a fair bit this season, it’s something like seven starts and fourteen from the bench. My aim is to keep working hard and hopefully become a regular for the first-team.[/pullquote]

    Speaking exclusively to MFC TV, Carswell said: “It’s a good achievement for any player to sign a contract at any club, particularly at Motherwell where young players are encouraged and promoted.

    “I am very happy to sign and I hope some of my teammates do so too.

    “I have managed to come through the Academy system at the club, and have been lucky to be given a chance and I want to repay people for that.

    “I’ve played quite a fair bit this season, it’s something like seven starts and fourteen from the bench. My aim is to keep working hard and hopefully become a regular for the first-team.”


    MFC TV

    Motherwell fans with e-membership found out this news first. If you haven’t already signed up, do so for free on the OFFICIAL WEBSITE or on FACEBOOK.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Excelsior Stadium

    Extended highlights from the Excelsior Stadium as Motherwell U20s come from behind to win 3-2 in a match with an incredible four penalties.


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: Johansson pleased with derby win

    Jonatan Johansson was pleased as his side picked up all three points against neighbours Hamilton Accies this afternoon.

    Motherwell were poor in the first-half and went a goal down when Craig Watson tucked home from close range.

    Accies should have extended their lead further but were pegged back when Bob McHugh levelled from the penalty spot just before the interval – the first of four awards during the match.

    Lee Erwin and Stuart Carswell both netted penalties of their own as the Fir Parkers made a much better fist of the second period.

    A late spot kick for Accies was won and scored by Andy Ryan but the Steelmen saw out the last ten minutes for the victory.

    Whilst pleased his side have taken four points from the last two matches, former Finland International Johansson wants more from his players in up-coming matches.

    [pullquote]We’ve played better in previous games, although I can’t have it both ways as there have been times I’ve complained we’ve played well and lost, so maybe we’re getting a little bit of luck now.[/pullquote]

    “I’m pleased with the three points,” he told MFC TV after the match.

    “We’ve played better in previous games, although I can’t have it both ways as there have been times I’ve complained we’ve played well and lost, so maybe we’re getting a little bit of luck now.

    “Kenny (Black) and I were very disappointed with the first-half as they weren’t concentrating or trying to pressure Hamilton, and we were playing too much in our own half.

    “We had a talk at half-time and the boys responded with a much better showing in the second half.

    “I think the three penalties we won were all correct and the third one was great play from Leitch.

    “The more points you get, the more confidence you build so although we’ve got a very difficult game on Monday (against Dundee Utd), the boys will be up for it and we’ll try to be as solid as we were today in the second half.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Hamilton U20s 2 – 3 Motherwell U20s

    Motherwell were spot on against local rivals Hamilton Accies as three converted penalties helped the Steelmen to a 3-2 win.

    The home side went ahead after twelve minutes but spot kicks from McHugh, Erwin and Carswell put the Fir Parkers in a commanding position.

    Accies had a penalty of their own in the closing stages but it wasn’t enough as Motherwell held out for the victory.

    Under 20s boss Jonatan Johansson was forced into five changes from Monday’s draw with Dunfermline. Steven Saunders, Ross Kellock, Frazer Johnstone, Adam Asghar and Dom Thomas all dropped out. They were replaced by Adam Cummins, Zaine-Francis-Angol, Jack Leitch, Stuart Carswell and Chris Humphrey.

    Accies midfielder Craig Watson had the game’s first shot after nine minutes, but he dragged his effort well wide of the post. It was a warning the young Steelmen side failed to heed though as the same player opened the scoring just two minutes later.

    A flowing move eventually led to Gary Fraser collecting the ball deep inside the ‘Well box. He worked a yard of space for himself before firing a low effort that cannoned off Euan Murray and fell fortuitously at the feet of the midfielder who stroked it home from five yards out.

    The ‘home’ side took control and enjoyed long spells of possession. Murray had to look smart to block McShane, who had made a near post run, before Andy Ryan missed a glorious chance at the back post after an excellent cross from the right.

    Ryan and Gary Fraser both had a couple of long-range efforts as Alex Neil’s men looked to exert their authority and put the game to bed.

    Very much against the run of play, Motherwell got themselves level five minutes before the break.

    Accies defender Ryan Finnie left a pass-back shot, allowing Lee Erwin to nip in ahead of Chris Truesdale who tripped him. Referee Craig Napier pointed to the spot but. The ball was going far enough away from goal to not warrant a red card, but the youngster was cautioned instead.

    Bob McHugh stepped up and coolly slotted the ball into the net, sending the despairing keeper the wrong way.

    Astonishingly, Motherwell should have had another spot kick just minutes later. An awkward bouncing ball had Ali El Zubadi and Truesdale on a collision course, with McHugh close behind.

    The defender eventually hooked it clear, but not before Truesdale wiped out McHugh a yard inside the area. Neither the referee, nor his assistant Steven Strang, spotted it and the half ended all square.

    Jonatan Johansson’s words of wisdom at the break must have hit a nerve as the Claret and Amber men came out fired up in the second.

    Erwin almost put his side ahead inside the opening 90 seconds, but his low shot was well blocked by the feet of the well-placed Truesdale.

    But within two minutes, the visitors were ahead.

    Bob McHugh’s hooked cross was well controlled by McCafferty but as he turned, Finnie tugged his shirt in full view of the official. It was penalty number two, and Lee Erwin was the man to hit it, slamming it hard into the bottom left corner.

    The tails were up and McHugh was denied a brace when his lot shot was tipped wide by Truesdale and the keeper again looked smart to block from McCafferty, after a neat passing move between Leitch, Francis-Angol and the pint-sized winger.

    Just after the hour, the referee awarded Motherwell their third penalty of the afternoon. A fantastic fifty-yard pass by Leitch, and an equally impressive first-touch by Erwin, had the big striker in on goal. As he was about to pull the trigger, the backtracking Lee Kilday clipped his ankles.

    Stuart Carswell volunteered to take the kick and he calmly tucked it home, just right of centre, with Truesdale again going the wrong way.

    The returning Chris Humphrey put in an excellent shift all afternoon and he fancied a goal himself.

    Unusually, the Jamaican winger was deployed down the left flank for much of the half and, after collecting from a ‘Well counter-attack, his cut in and shot was again stopped by Truesdale.

    McHugh fired a curling effort straight at the keeper and went so close to connecting to a Francis-Angol cutback as the Steelmen looked to kill the match.

    However, it was Accies who would haul themselves back into things with a penalty of their own. A pass from the right flank found Fraser but the sliding Murray, who was trying to make the block, interrupted his attempted shot at the expense of a spot kick.

    Fraser dusted himself down and fired it down the middle, to make the last ten minutes more intense than it perhaps needed to be.

    Accies came so close to leveling but found Ross Stewart in inspired form. He tipped a dipping Darren Lyon effort onto the bar and out for a corner before turning round a goal-bound Ali Crawford free-kick.

    Johansson’s men played out the last few minutes into the corner and held out for just their fifth win in eighteen matches, lifting them above Ross County into thirteenth.

    The youths have two upcoming matches this week – Dundee United away on Monday night then St Mirren at Fir Park on Thursday night.

    Motherwell: Stewart, Neill, Francis-Angol, Cummins, Murray, Carswell, Humphrey, Erwin, McHugh, Leitch, McCafferty

    Subs Not Used: Kellock, Thomas, Shirkie, Higgins

    Goals: McHugh (pen 40), Erwin (pen 47), Carswell (pen 62)

    Booked: Carswell, Murray, Stewart, Leitch