Latest News

  • Archive

    Albion Rovers 1 – 0 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Scottish Cup Ticket Reminder

  • Archive

    TV: Lawson eyes Scottish Cup run

  • Archive

    TV: McCall wants professional approach

  • Archive

    Anderson in charge against Albion

  • Archive

    Under 20s game off

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Rugby Park

  • Archive

    Kilmarnock win in pictures

  • Archive

    TV: McCall pleased with reaction

  • Archive

    Kilmarnock 0 – 2 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Albion Rovers 1 – 0 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

     Phil McGhee at New Douglas Park

    Motherwell crashed out the Scottish Cup with one of the worst results in the clubs’ history, losing 1-0 to League Two side Albion Rovers at New Douglas Park.

    With Motherwell looking at best to take a replay from what was a terrible perfomance, Gary Phillips fired in a last minute goal, to send a barrage of boos towards a ‘Well side, an incredible 37 league places above their Lanarkshire rivals.

    Motherwell couldn’t even blame their embarassing exit on an inferior pitch or ground as the Second Division Coatbridge side elected to move the game to a neutral venue.

    Subsequently, all roads led to Hamilton for this all Lanarkshire Scottish Cup tie. And with over 2,500 ‘Well fans inside New Douglas Park, there was a cup carnival atmosphere and a real expectation.

    In truth, though, ‘keeper Neil Parry saw little action over the 90 minutes as the Premiership side toiled to test him, forcing just one save, amazingly 12 minutes from time.

    Stuart McCall paid Rovers his utmost respect by fielding an almost full strength side. Stevie Hammell returned from injury to wear the captain’s armband, with Keith Lasley joining John Sutton on the bench. That meant Bob McHugh partnering Henri Anier in attack.

    The ‘Well fans packed into the main stand anticipated that the pair would lead a goal rout against their lowly opposition. But the huge gap in league places was never obvious in the first half and while it may have taken McCall’s men some time to adjust to the artificial surface, the fans had nothing to get excited about in the first 20 minutes.

    In fact the first thing of note came from Rovers when Liam Cusack’s 20 yard drive was brilliantly palmed over the crossbar by Gunnar Nielsen.

    Motherwell’s response was immediate, McHugh nodding Fraser Kerr’s cross over the bar.

    With 30 minutes played some decent build up on the left provided an opening for Stuart Carswell but from the edge of the box he dragged his shot wide leaving Rovers’ ‘keeper Neil Parry still awaiting his first save.

    At the other end the Coatbridge side conjured up another half chance when Chris Dallas, eight yards in front of goals volleyed the ball over Nielsen’s bar.

    Two minutes from half-time Paul Lawson fired a drive high over the bar as a very disapointing fist half ended with the Rovers’ defence completely untroubled – and the ‘Well fans loudly sounding their disapproval.

    Not surprisimgly McCall made a half-time change when he brought on Sutton for McHugh. And the striker who, on his first spell with the club, scored in every round when he led ‘Well to the 2011 Scottish Cup Final, hoped for a similar impact.

    And twelve minutes into the half Sutton had his first chance when he collected a headed pass from James McFadden but his volley from 25 yards dipped over the crossbar.
    Sutton then chested a through pass from Shaun Hutchison into Anier’s path but he snatched at his shot as ‘Well desperately looked for a breakthrough.

    After 72 minutes McCall decided that some drastic action was required sending on Lasley and Jack Leitch, to make his first team debut. But it did little to change the pattern of the game.

    It was Rovers who almost grabbed the lead after 76 minutes when Mark McGuigan cut inside Hammell before driving his shot just wide of goal.

    Two minutes later Parry made his only save of the game when he reacted well to block Sutton’s header on the goal line allowing Cusack to boot the ball clear before any ‘Well player could react.

    Motherwell’s desperation was underlined four minutes from time when Shaun Hutchison, devoid of options, fired a 30 yard drive over Parry’s crossbar.

    Then in the 89th minute and with a draw looking likely, Rovers produced their memorable winning goal.

    After a couple of blocked attempts the ball broke to Phillips at the edge of the box and his low drive through a ruck of players had Nielsen at full stretch. Although the ‘keeper got a touch he couldn’t prevent the ball bouncing into the corner of his net.

    ‘Well still had time to redeem the situation in added on time but Anier summed up the afternoon when he slashed his shot well wide of target as McCall’s men, for the second successive season crashed out of all cup competitions before Christmas.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Ally Reilly at New Douglas Park

    FT: Albion Rovers 1 – 0 Motherwell

    91mins: Ball falls to Anier but he slices it over inside the box

    3 minutes added on

    89mins: GOAL! Albion Rovers 1 – 0 Motherwell

    85mins: 5 minutes left and ‘Well desperately looking for a way through. Albion defending solidly

    82mins: Albion sub, Cusack off for Flood

    77mins: Corner to ‘Well…..Sutton’s header is cleared off the line!

    76mins: McGuigan turns Hammell and fires just wide from 20 yards!

    First team debut for Jack Leitch, son of Scott. 15 minutes left, still 0-0

    72mins: Motherwell subs, Leitch and Lasley on for McFadden and Francis-Angol

    72minns: Albion sub, Tiffney on for Dallas

    61mins: Corner to Albion…..delivery evades all in the box and is out for a goalkick #arfcvmfc

    57mins: Ball falls to Sutton some 25 yards out. Has an effort with his left foot but it’s too ambitious and well over #arfcvmfc

    Second half underway #arfcvmfc

    HT: Albion Rovers 0 – 0 Motherwell #arfcvmfc

    45mins: Corner to ‘Well……..McFadden delivers and it eventually falls to Carswell who scoops it well over #arfcvmfc

    43mins: Albion proving hard to break down. Lawson opts to shoot from range but fires well over with his left foot

    35mins: Great chance for Phillips! Shrugged off his marker and from the cross, didn’t connect well and blazed over! #arfcvmfc

    30mins: McFadden cuts it back to Francis-Angol who squares to Carswell. On his left foot, he slices it just past from 16 yards #arfcvmfc

    22mins: McHugh heads just over from Kerr’s cross!

    20mins: Corner to Albion after a fantastic save from Nielsen to deny Cusack! #arfcvmfc

    14mins: Decent effort from McHugh. Hit it on the spin from 25 yards but watches it curl well wide

    9mins: Another corner to ‘Well, Lawson delivers from the left but Albion head clear

    7mins: Francis-Angol goes on a mazy run and the ball almost breaks to him inside the box. Reid clears though #arfcvmfc

    With the minute’s silence impeccably observed, Carswell and Lawson kick the game off! #arfcvmfc

    Hammell and Donnelly lead the teams out the tunnel. #arfcvmfc


    Albion Rovers manager James Ward:

    Coming Soon…

    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    Coming Soon…


    [poll id=”169″]

  • Archive

    Scottish Cup Ticket Reminder

    Fans are reminded tomorrow’s Scottish Cup clash against Albion Rovers at New Douglas Park is a ‘Pay-at-the-gate’ fixture.

    Due to segregation and security requirements, Albion Rovers supporters will occupy the Spice of Life North Stand and will enter via turnstiles 10-12.

    Motherwell supporters will occupy the Main West Stand and will enter via turnstiles 1-6.

    Admission is by cash only at the turnstiles priced Adults £12 and Concessions £7 (under 16s, over 65s, students, and unemployed – photo ID is required). Disabled free.

    Supporter parking is available at the Morrisons underground car park in Auchinraith Avenue, and the two large car parks in Beckford Street and Caird Street; both 5 minutes walk from the ground where there are almost 2000 spaces.

    For fans coming by train, Hamilton West Station is adjacent to the ground and a path connects the platform on the Glasgow arrival side, direct to the stadium car park and Main West Stand.

    With a fairly large Motherwell support anticipated, ‘Well fans are encouraged to get to the ground as early as possible to avoid queuing at the turnstiles.

  • Archive

    TV: Lawson eyes Scottish Cup run

    Paul Lawson is desperate to replicate success from his past and take ‘Well all the way in this season’s Scottish Cup.

    The 29-year old has been to a Final with former club Ross County, including handing out a number of shocks and upsets along the way.

    And following the huge disappointment of the League Cup exit to Aberdeen last month, the midfielder insists there is a real determination to put a solid run together in the 2013/14 William Hill Scottish Cup.

    Speaking to MFC TV, he said: “I’ve been on the end of some cup upsets but I’ve also given a couple out.

    [pullquote]A cup run is brilliant for everyone associated with the club and it would be very nice to do that here[/pullquote]

    “They’ll be looking at it as it’s there to be had for them but we just need to be as professional as we can and treat it like every other game and that’s what we’ve done this week.

    “The boys are geared up and ready to go. There’s nothing better than a cup run and that’s what we’re aiming for, especially after the disappointment of the cup exit against Aberdeen.

    “I got to the cup Final with Ross County which was a great occasion. The result didn’t go for us but what we did up there was magnificent. A cup run is brilliant for everyone associated with the club and it would be very nice to do that here.


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: McCall wants professional approach

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall insists his side will give Albion Rovers the respect they deserve ahead of tomorrow’s Cup tie.

    The Steelmen take on Rovers for the first time in 26 years when they lock horns at New Douglas Park in the 4th Round of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

    Despite three leagues separating the sides, McCall is taking nothing for granted and will ask his players to be professional as they battle for a place in Monday’s 5th Round draw.

    Speaking to MFC TV at today’s pre-match press conference, McCall said: “We’ve had tricky games in the past where we’ve been outstanding favourites, so we know it’s all about the approach.

    [pullquote]We’ll need to be at our best and really put them under pressure early in the game.[/pullquote]

    “You’ve got to start well and mentally look at it as being two teams of eleven. This will be one of their biggest matches of the season so we’ve got to take that into account.

    “There’s been Cup upsets before and we have to make sure we’re not on the end of one, particularly with the added spice of being a local derby.

    “It’s a good surface over at Hamilton. Technically, our lads should be better and fitter, but certainly at the start of the game, they will match us for energy and commitment so we have to meet that head on, be ready for it, and then start to move the ball like we know we are capable of.

    “We’ll need to be at our best and really put them under pressure early in the game.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Anderson in charge against Albion

    Referee for Saturday’s William Hill Scottish Cup 4th Round clash with Albion Rovers at New Douglas Park is Euan Anderson.

    Anderson will be handling his first ever Motherwell match.

    Indeed, it will be the first time ever the 30-year old will handle a Premiership side in competitive action.

    He has been fourth official at several top-flight matches as well as Motherwell’s Scottish Cup success against Queen’s Park a few seasons back.

    The Dumbarton-based whistler was promoted to category one in the summer of 2011 and is cutting his teeth in the lower leagues.

    This season, he has handled Championship games at Dumfries, Hamilton and Falkirk as well as League One matches at Stenhousemuir, Brechin, Airdrie and Stranraer.

    He was also the man in the middle for the Ramsden’s Cup clash between Annan Athletic and Highland League side Formartine United.

    Euan will be assisted on the day by Brian Templeton and Ralph Gordon with Iain Brines as fourth official.

  • Archive

    Under 20s game off

    Tonight’s Under 20s match has been postponed as the pitch at McDiarmid Park is frozen.

    No date has as yet been confirmed for the rearranged tie.

    Jonatan Johansson’s men are back in action this Sunday when they face Kilmarnock at Rugby Park in the 4th Round of the SFA Youth Cup – kick-off is 1.30pm.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Rugby Park

    Extended highlights from Rugby Park as goals from John Sutton and Henri Anier edge out Kilmarnock 2-0.


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Kilmarnock win in pictures

    Pictures from the 2-0 win over Kilmarnock in the SPFL Premiership at Rugby Park.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix.

    [svgallery name=”kilmarnock231113″]

  • Archive

    TV: McCall pleased with reaction

    Stuart McCall was delighted with the reaction from his players after their 2-0 win over Kilmarnock.

    Following the heavy home defeat by Dundee Utd two weeks ago, the Steelmen boss asked for better concentration, communication and organisation from his men.

    He got all three, with ‘Well solid at the back, industrious in midfield and threatening in attack.

    John Sutton and Henri Anier scored the goals, but it could have been even more convincing with several chances not taken.

    McCall praised his players after their eighth win in fourteen SPFL Premiership matches, propelling them to third in the table.

    [pullquote]I was so happy with a number of our individuals performances and we had some real firepower from the bench too. I asked the players for a reaction, and we got it.[/pullquote]

    “There’s no doubt we could have had more goals, but then, Killie probably had a couple of good chances to score too,” he told MFC TV after the match.

    “We are pleased with how we played, the three points and a clean sheet. We’ve got to get back to the situation where we’re mean in defence. Okay, Boyd got a chance in the either half but other than that, we restricted them to very little.

    “I was so happy with a number of our individuals performances and we had some real firepower from the bench too. I asked the players for a reaction, and we got it. All in all, it was a really good days work.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Kilmarnock 0 – 2 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

     Phil McGhee at Rugby Park

    Motherwell returned to winning ways with a comfortable victory at Kilmarnock and moved up to third in the table.

    Second half goals from John Sutton and Henri Anier sealed the points but it was a good performance from back to front from Stuart McCall’s men.

    The only criticism would be that the win could have been more emphatic. Indeed, Craig Moore making his first league start, might have grabbed a hat-trick inside the opening 22 minutes as ‘Well dominated the early proceedings.

    Despite the two week international break, injuries still kept Simon Ramsden, Stevie Hammell and Stuart Carswell sidelined, the latter two starting on the bench. Shaun Hutchinson, though, returned from suspension to bolster the back four.

    Second bottom Kilmarnock were chasing a third consecutive home win and with striker Kris Boyd boosted by his Scotland call-up, the understrength Fir Park defence should have faced a difficult afternoon.

    Anier after his midweek exertions with Estonia also started on the bench allowing Craig Moore to start, partnering John Sutton in attack.

    And the ‘Well youngster almost made it a dream start after six minutes when he latched onto a loose ball in the home box only to curl his shot over Craig Samson and the ‘keeper’s cross bar.

    Motherwell’s passing and pressing game, with the both fullbacks pushing forward, gave the home defence some anxious moments.

    In the 16th minute a terrific run from Zaine Francis-Angol carried him to the goal line before sweeping the ball into the six yard box. Sutton’s effort was blocked but the ball rebounded to Moore who slashed his shot wide of goal.

    Then after 22 minutes the teenage striker passed up his third and best chance. Paul Lawson’s long pass bounced past Mark O’Hara allowing Moore to race in on goal unchallenged but he lacked a bit of composure as he dragged his shot across Samson and inches past the post

    ‘Well almost paid for that miss when Boyd tried to dribble the ball towards Gunnar Nielsen but Hutchison and Stephen McManus combined to block him as the Killie man looked certain to strike.

    ‘Well were in control and the Killie fans largely subdued and eight minutes from half-time only Samson’s reflexes denied the visitors a deserved lead. Kerr burst down the right before drilling in a perfect cross for Sutton whose powerful header was racing under the bar until the Kille keeper stretched to push it over.

    Nielsen was finally called into action three minutes from half-time. Boyd’s angled drive looked destined for the far far corner until the ‘Well keeper, at full stretch low to his left palmed the ball out.

    Probably frustrated that their possession and chances hadn’t been converted into goals, Stuart McCall made one change at the interval replacing James McFadden with Lionel Ainsworth.

    And his introduction almost had an immediate effect as Moore held off Manny Pascali before setting up the substitute with a cute back-healer only to watch Ainsworth screw his shot wide of goal from 12 yards.

    Even the home fans sensed that a Motherwell goal was long overdue and it finally arrived after 53 minutes.

    Francis-Angol sent Ainsworth down the right and although his ball across goal found no takers, Iain Vigurs returned it from the left side finding Sutton stooping to head the ball low past Samson from six yards.

    That produced an immediate response from Killie and a thundering 20 yard drive from Michael Gardyne forced another fabulous one handed stop from Nielsen.

    A deflected Clingan shot almost bounced inside thepost as the home fans sensed a fight back. Boyd failed to test Nielsen as Killie had their best spell of the game, but ‘Well remained tight and commanding at the back.

    Moore, who proved to be a real handful for the experienced Pascali, was given a rousing ovation from the travelling support after a thoroughly committed and encouraging 78 minutes.

    Anier, who came off the bench to claim two goals for Estonia in midweek was eager for something similar but it was Sutton who came within a metre of grabbing his second when he connected solidly with Ainsworth’s cross sending the ball dipping just over the bar.

    But with three minutes to go Anier claimed his goal using his strength to turn O’Hara before slipping the ball under Samson to tie up the points and round off a great day’s work for the Fir Park men.

    [tab:As it happened]

    Ally Reilly at Rugby Park

    FT: Kilmarnock 0 – 2 Motherwell

    88mins: Anier does fantastically to spin past O’Hara and poke the ball past Samson to make it 2-0!!!


    85mins: Final Killie change, Winchester on for Clingan

    81mins: Killie sub, Gros on for Gardyne

    81mins: Good work from Kerr to get down the right wing and swing in a ball. It’s awkward for Sutton but he gets a shot away. Just over.

    79mins: Gardyne booked for leaving a boot in on Lasley.

    78mins: Motherwell sub, Moore off for Anier.

    78mins: Lawson booked for tumbling into Johnston

    77mins: Pascali’s header is straight at Nielsen from the Killie corner. Should have done better.

    75mins: Sub McKenzie cuts in from the left and lets fly. Just past the right hand post

    72mins: Killie sub, McKenzie on for Nicholson

    67mins: Pascali booked for hacking down Moore. Good position for the FK…..Vigurs shoots just over

    65mins: Boyd passes up a great chance to level. Perhaps the cross was a fraction deep for him and he headed over from 6 yards

    60mins: Francis-Angol’s cross slithers under Samson for a corner. From that Hutchinson heads wide.

    55mins: Almost the equaliser! Nielsen reacts well to deny Boyd with a strong hand then Slater’s cross flashes across goal with no takers!

    54mins: Sutton opens the scoring with a slow motion diving header!!! Vigurs with the assist!! 0-1


    49mins: Motherwell counter and from Moore’s backheel, Ainsworth can only drag his shot wide of the left post. Good chance

    48mins: Johnston tries his luck from 25 yards but shoots straight at Nielsen.

    Half-time sub, McFadden off for Ainsworth

    HT: Kilmarnock 0 – 0 Motherwell

    42mins: Good save from Nielsen to deny Boyd on his left foot from a narrow angle. Francis-Angol mops up.

    41mins: Moore wins a corner after his shot is deflected wide…..McFadden delivers but Nicholson clears

    38mins: Glorious chance for Sutton! Gets a powerful header on target but Samson is equal to it and palms over!

    31mins: Boyd gets the break of the ball in the box and as he looks to pull the trigger, McManus and Lawson do enough to put him off.

    24mins: Gardyne wins Killie a free-kick 25 yards out, central. Clingan gets it over the wall, but it also clears the bar. Still 0-0

    22mins: Third good chance of the day for Moore! O’Hara slipped and let him in 1v1. Dragged it just wide with his weaker foot!

    17mins: Another corner to ‘Well after Lawson’s volley was deflected wide.

    15mins: Another good chance as the ball falls to Moore from Franci-Angols cross which evaded Sutton. Youngster slices it wide.

    12mins: McFadden curls in a ball first time from the right. Vigurs can’t quite get enough on it to get it on target.

    10mins: Francis-Angol wins the first corner of the game… McFadden’s delivery is hooked clear by Gardyne

    6mins: Great tenacity from Moore to battle and win the ball to create a shooting opportunity. Just over from 16 yards!!

    3mins: Johnstone wins a free-kick 30 yards out in a crossable position. And from that, Pascali heads straight at Nielsen from Clingan’s delivery

    1min: Boyd and O’Hara get the game underway. #kfcvmfc


    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “We set up to play in a slightly different way and after taking a little while to settle we got into a good pattern. The full-backs got high and wide and got some really good balls in.

    “We were disappointed to come in at half-time and not be ahead. But we had a clean sheet and a really strong, positive performance.

    “Sometimes when you miss chances it comes back to haunt you. Thankfully that wasn’t the case and Henri’s goal put the icing on the cake.

    “The last four games, even though we beat Hibs, we have not performed at a great level. Today we were back more like ourselves. We were strong and resolute when we needed to be and also played some good football.”

    Kilmarnock manager Allan Johnston:

    “When you look at the performance, I don’t think it merited a 2-0 defeat. But how many times can we keep saying the same thing?

    “We created a few good chances but teams don’t need to work hard to score against us and that’s been a problem since we came in.

    “There were loads of mistakes for the first goal. It came from our corner. They have got one striker up the park and we have two back and he manages to hold the ball in.

    “Then the ball gets played across the face of goal, comes out the other side and comes back in again and Sutton is still standing by himself, and we have three or four players round about him. It’s just basic defending, you pick someone up.

    “And the second goal we just got bullied. It’s very poor defending.”


    [poll id=”166″]