Latest News

  • Archive

    Motherwell 2 – 2 Aberdeen

  • Archive

    Steelmen: Gunnar Nielsen Interview

  • Archive

    TV: Sutton predicts tight encounter

  • Archive

    TV: McCall calls for cool heads

  • Archive

    Aberdeen Magazine Preview

  • Archive

    McLean in charge against Aberdeen

  • Archive

    Book Aberdeen hospitality now

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Excelsior Stadium

  • Archive

    TV: Johansson satisfied with Pars win

  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 2 – 1 Dunfermline U20s

  • Archive

    Motherwell 2 – 2 Aberdeen

    [tab:Match report]

    Phil McGhee at Fir Park

    Motherwell seemed destined to leapfrog Aberdeen and regain second spot until an injury time equaliser cost them three points.

    Second half goals from Stephen McManus and Zaine Francis-Angol twice had the Fir Park men in front.

    And although Adam Rooney pulled Dons’ level midway through the second half ‘Well looked like holding on for all three until Russell Anderson’s late leveller.

    In the battle for second place, both teams were hoping to get back to winning ways after respective defeats last week.

    Stuart McCall made one change to side which started at Parkhead, With Iain Vigurs injured Fraser Kerr came in a right back, allowing Zaine Francis-Angol to play in front of Stevie Hammell.

    The players had to adjust to the heavy pitch which survived a late inspection after a torrential downpour . After only eight minutes referee Steven McLean enraged the home fans when Shaun Hutchison won the ball just outside the box but caught Ryan Jack as he slid through.

    Sadly it resulted in the young Dons player being stretchered off and the ‘Well defender copping a booking. It might have been worse for ‘Well but Barry Robson’s free kick rippled the top of the net.

    Motherwell’s first threat came after 17 mins when Francis-Angol sped to the goal line before crossing low to the front post where James McFadden’s snapshot was blocked by Jamie Langfield.

    John Sutton fired over the bar after 25 minutes but a minute late a smart 1-2 almost got McFadden in on goal.

    In 32nd minute Stuart Carswell lost possession to Robson and was relieved as he watched as the Dons’ midfielder rifled a low shot beyond Gunnar Nielsen but the ball rebounded from the foot of the post before being eventually cleared.

    At the other end, a great ball from Kerr sent Sutton through on goal but Anderson recovered to make a great sliding block just outside the six-yard box.

    It was end to end action and just before half time Nielsen produced a fabulous save stretching low to his left to push Jonny Hayes’ curling shot beyond the post.

    The game exploded into action in the second half when ‘Well opened the scoring within two minutes of the restart. Lionel Ainsworth curled a corner kick out to McManus whose powerful header had the ball racing into the net despite Peter Pawlett’s attempts to head it off the line.

    ‘Well chased a second goal and Ainsworth’s run ended with a drive across goal before a clash between Kerr and Robson resulted in the ‘Well defender being stretchered off and replaced with Paul Lawson.

    The home goal then had a charmed like as Aberdeen looked certain to score but Lasley, Hammell and McManus all cleared net bound efforts off the goal line.

    The Dons’ pressure was finally rewarded after 65 minutes. Niall McGinn’s shot was blocked byNielsen low at his post but the ball bounced high in front of an open goal for Rooney to nod home the equaliser on his debut.

    Motherwell immediately replaced McFadden with Henri Anier whose impact was instant as the game once again turned ‘Well’s way.

    With almost his first touch the Estoninan played an exchange of passes with Lasley before drilling the ball across the 6 yard box where both Francis-Angol and Sutton bundled the ball home. It’s hard to tell who got the final touch but the benefit of the doubt should be given to the striker.

    Although most of the closing play was towards the home goal Nielsen was well protected until two minutes into injury time.

    McGinn floated a corner into a packed 6 yard box and Anderson directed the ball towards goal although there were loud claims for him using his arm before it crossed the line for a very late equaliser.

    For their contribution to a very entertaining game, the Dons deserved a point, while for their part Motherwell moved seven points ahead of Inverness as McCall’s men head for a two-week break.

    [tab:As it happened]

    Alastair Reilly at Fir Park

    FT: Motherwell 2 – 2 Aberdeen

    90+3 mins: Corner to Aberdeen….. GOAL! Anderson sticks it in from close range 2-2 #MFCvAFC

    5 minutes added on

    89mins: Motherwell sub, Leitch on for Ainsworth #MFCvAFC

    85mins: Carswell booked for a foul on Low #MFCvAFC

    83mins: Low opts to shoot when he had some decent options. Well over the bar #MFCvAFC

    71mins: Unbelievable miss by Rooney who should have squared the game. Mis-cued his volley 10 yards out #MFCvAFC.

    69mins: Instant impact from Anier who got down the wing to cross for SUTTON who slides it in! 2-1 !!! #MFCvAFC


    67mins: Motherwell sub, McFadden off for Anier #MFCvAFC

    65mins: GOAL! – Rooney is on hand to tap in from Nielsen’s save to deny McGinn 1-1 #MFCvAFC

    62mins: Aberdeen sub, Low on for Robson #MFCvAFC

    61mins: Too close for comfort. McManus scoops it off the line after Shaughnessy miss-hits with the goal gaping! #MFCvAFC

    60mins: Heroics from Hammell to slide in and block McGinn’s shot from inside the box which was travelling in! #MFCvAFC

    57mins: Ainsworth shows some good skill to cut in from the right. His left footed shot is well over though #MFCvAFC

    Kerr now stretchered off and is replaced by Lawson,. #MFCvAFC

    54mins: Bit of a strange decision there as McLean let Aberdeen take a quick free-kick despite Robson and Kerr still being down…..

    53mins: Rooney booked ….possibly for dissent #MFCvAFC

    50mins: Ball breaks to Ainsworth 25 yards out but he drags it just past. Unlucky! #MFCvAFC

    49mins: Corner to Aberdeen now.. McGinn’s delivery is cleared off the line by Francis-Angol #MFCvAFC

    McManus bullets its home from 8 yards. 1-0! #MFCvAFC

    47mins: Corner to Motherwell…..Ainsworth dinks it in …GGOOOOOOAAAALLLLL!!!

    Teams are back out for the second half. On a tightrope so far #MFCvAFC

    HT: Motherwell 0 – 0 Aberdeen #MFCvAFC

    45+2 mins: Corner tp Aberdeen….. dealt with by McManus but the ball falls to Hayes. Great stop by Nielsen to deny! #MFCvAFC

    45mins: Rooney cuts in and from 25 yards tries his luck. Over the bar but looked to have taken a deflection. Ref disagrees #MFCvAFC

    42mins: Hayes wins a free-kick out wide on the left…Robson’s delivery is cleared by Hammell #MFCvAFC

    35mins: McManus pings a wonderful ball over the top to Sutton. Racing through on goal, Anderson gets back to clear #MFCvAFC

    33mins: Robson strikes the base of the post with a good effort 20 yards out after robbing Carswell #MFCvAFC

    27mins: Good bit of build-up play creates a chance for McFadden. He doesn’t quite reach Sutton’s ball and the chance is gone #MFCvAFC

    26mins: From 30 yards, Sutton tries the spectacular but fails to get it near the target #MFCvAFC

    22mins: Lasley finds his way into the book for a late tackle on Flood #MFCvAFC

    17mins: Great chance for McFadden as Francis-Angol bursts down the wing and swings it in. His volley is well saved by Langfield #MFCvAFC

    12mins: Now its a dangerous free-kick about 22 yards out………Robson fires just over #MFCvAFC

    11mins: Aberdeen sub, Jack off for Pawlett #MFCvAFC

    8mins: Hutchinson booked for a tackle on Jack. Looked like he played the ball however got a lot of man. Jack now stretchered off #MFCvAFC

    6mins: Bit of a claim there for Aberdeen as Hutchinson bundles over Rooney inside the box. Ref waves it away #MFCvAFC

    1min: Free-kick to the Dons about 40 yards out on the left. Robson delivers, Considine heads wide #MFCvAFC

    McGinn and Hayes get the action underway #MFCvAFC #COYW

    Out come the teams #MFCvAFC


    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “Unfortunately, yet again against Aberdeen we’ve not got the right decision. I thought we battled manfully, scored two good goals, but I thought a point was a fair result without a doubt

    “I thought Aberdeen at times in the second half were terrific and they deserved the point.

    “It’s sore to lose it so late, and it’s sore that it’s a handball by Anderson, but unfortunately the referee’s not been in a good enough position to see it.

    “We lost [Iain] Vigurs just before the game with an injury, we lost Fraser Kerr during it and we had to have [Stuart] Carswell at right-back.

    “We’ve got young kids on the bench, so I thought we battled manfully, scored two good goals, but I thought a point was a fair result without a doubt.

    “You just look at the reaction of the players and I think three or four of our lads claimed handball straight away, but the linesman’s got no chance of seeing it and there’s that many bodies there to be honest, so it’s a difficult one but when you see it again it’s a clear handball.”

    Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes:

    “The two goals we lose put a black mark on the actual performance because obviously we’re disappointed with them, but I thought it was a decent performance from us.

    “It had to be to get something from the game. When the clock goes up for injury time and you’re behind, to get a point you’re always pleased.

    “I always feel there’s a goal in us, and the players deserve huge credit for that. They keep going, there’s good perseverance and good determination, and they never accept it.

    “I thought it was some good play from us as well to get into good goal-scoring positions.

    “It wasn’t frantic, it wasn’t just lumping it, there was a measure to our play in the last 15-20 minutes after going 2-1 down.”


    [poll id=”178″]

  • Archive

    Steelmen: Gunnar Nielsen Interview

    Gunnar Nielsen fought back from a serious knee injury after being told he might never play football again.

    And the Faroe Islands international is determined to win his next battle – to rediscover the consistent form he knows he is capable of.

    Nielsen is driven not just by personal pride, but by his desire to repay Motherwell for showing faith in him not long after an 18-month lay-off.

    The goalkeeper has overcome difficult situations in his career from the day he left home in the Faroes at the age of 15 to move to a soccer school in Denmark.

    And the 27-year-old learned even more about the physical and mental application required in football when faced with the prospect of never playing the game again.

    The fine margins between joy and pain in sport were rarely more apparent than the day Nielsen suffered a series of injuries to his knee during a reserve game for Manchester City against Bolton in February 2011.

    “It was a strange story,” Nielsen said. “The day I got injured, (football administrator) Brian Marwood called me and says: ‘Southampton want you on loan for a month’. I thought that was a good chance to go on loan and get games.

    “Then he phoned me back a few hours later and tells me: ‘You can’t go now because Shay Given has reported an injury’. I had to go and play a reserve game instead in the evening and smashed my knee up. It was a 50-50, I came sliding out and the striker slid in and his knee hit into my knee. I knew straight away it was bad.

    “It just shows how quickly you can be going that way and then the opposite direction if you make a small change. I didn’t play for a year and half. That was really, really hard.

    “That’s the period I learned the most from, how important it is to take care of your body and your muscles. Mentally as well. When they did the scan, the guy told me I had done my cruciate, I expected that, but then he said: ‘You have done your ligament as well’. And he just kept going and kept going. And at that point I just thought: ‘If I walk again, I’m happy’.

    “That was a really tough time mentally for me. But, if it had to happen, I’m lucky I was at Man City with all the resources. If I was at a League One club I might have been put on a bike and told to do my own thing. They took really good care of me.

    “If I wasn’t at City, I wouldn’t have been playing football again. The specialist told me they couldn’t guarantee I would play again because they hadn’t seen a combination that bad. I owe a lot to the staff and doctors at City.”

    Nielsen had arrived in England at the age of 19 after four years in Denmark, where he played for Frem Copenhagen after leaving the school that combined football training with more conventional education.

    Former Chelsea player Kevin Hitchcock was the goalkeeping coach at Blackburn under Mark Hughes and brought him to Ewood Park, where Nielsen learnt from number one Brad Friedel.

    Hughes and Hitchcock took him to Manchester City when the goalkeeper’s contract expired in 2009 but his prospects of getting a regular game grew more unrealistic as England’s perennial under-achievers were transformed into one of the world’s richest clubs.

    Nielsen had loan spells with Motherwell, Wrexham and Tranmere during his time in England, but he did not have a wealth of first-team experience and faced some major decisions after overcoming his knee injury.

    But, firstly, he made his comeback in the most testing of circumstances.

    “I was out for a year and a half and didn’t play any training games or friendlies, and my first full game was against Germany away in a qualifier,” he said. “Only the Faroe Islands would do that. That was quite crazy.

    “It was actually one of my best games I ever played. It was one of those games when I got peppered with shots and I was flying left and right. That was one of my great memories.

    “I was really pumped up for it and there was a big crowd. That game was really important because all the people back home hadn’t seen me and were wondering how I would be. We lost 3-0 but it could have been 10 in the first half.”

    The 6ft 3in keeper, whose only City appearance came as a 76th-minute sub for Given during a goalless draw with Arsenal, ended up returning to Denmark to sign a short-term deal with Silkeborg.

    “My contract was up that summer (2012) but I still wasn’t fit so we did a rolling monthly contract and after that I went to Denmark for the first six months of last year,” he said.

    “They were bottom of the league and their keeper got injured. It was always going to be hard and we weren’t that close to staying up, but playing in the top league there was good.

    “I wasn’t sure what I was going to do after that. Motherwell made contract with my agent when I was in Denmark.

    “That summer I had a big decision. If I played more than 20 games after my injury, my insurance falls away. I wasn’t sure my knee could take it on a daily basis. At that point I wasn’t sure. But I made that decision and my knee has been fine. I signed for Motherwell and here I am.

    “Not until I came here and trained every day with Gordon Marshall, body-wise I am coming into things again. I still want to get my consistency up. I have been a bit inconsistent. I was out for so long and I just want more and more games to get my consistency back because body-wise and training-wise I feel fine.

    “They told me when I start playing again, they said the first six months or a year you won’t feel (natural). I remember I trained for the first time for a year and a half, I just felt silly because I was so stiff and couldn’t move. I was slow. They say it takes up to a year until you really get into things again. Before I came here I felt a bit rigid but now it comes naturally again.”

    Nielsen had good memories of Fir Park despite not playing during a five-month loan spell during the first half of the 2008-09 season when Mark McGhee was in charge.

    “”The place hasn’t changed much,” he said. “The gym and the training ground are the same. There has been a big turnaround of staff but there are still some people here like Stevie Hammell and Keith Lasley. The club is still the same, it’s a close-knit group and a well-run club.

    “I knew at the time when I signed they told me they couldn’t guarantee I was going to play. They needed someone to push Graeme Smith. Mark Hughes had just left Blackburn, Paul Ince came in and I didn’t think my opportunities were great there. So I saw it as a chance to get away. Even though I didn’t play, I enjoyed the club for five months.”

    Nielsen had greater expectations of playing when he returned to the club but, apart from an impressive competitive debut when he saved a penalty in the 1-0 defeat by Kuban Krasnodar in Russia, he found himself playing second fiddle to Lee Hollis as the season began.

    An ankle injury to the former Airdrie man gave Nielsen his chance but he suffered a thigh strain during the 5-0 loss to Celtic which saw him sidelined as Dan Twardzik enjoyed a perfect five-match loan spell from Dundee.

    With Hollis undergoing surgery earlier this month, Nielsen has the chance to make the goalkeeper’s jersey his own – and he is convinced that a long run in the team will return him to the standards that saw Hughes take him to Rovers and City.

    Nielsen, who has made 12 appearances for the Steelmen, said: “It’s been a bit stop-start. I left City, went to Denmark, had the summer off, didn’t start this season, and then I had the injury in my thigh.

    “I just want to get a long run and get my standards up because I know I can be more consistent than this. I know I can play better than this.

    “That’s my main goal right now because I really want to do well for this club. I really like it here; the people are so good. I just went to get back and have a good run.

    “I’m not going to use the injury as an excuse. Some people say it takes 20 games, some people say it takes a year to get that natural feeling again.

    “All I can do is work hard and make sure I apply myself in the right way on the pitch and off the pitch, and in the gym, and then hopefully that will come by itself. Because I feel I have everything to be a really good keeper.

    “I just want to get that consistency again and pay back the trust the club showed in me when they signed me.

    “I had to have a really severe check on my knee when they signed me and all was fine, but there is always a risk when you take a player on who has been out for a year and a half.

    “So I just want to repay that faith and I want to do well for this club.”

  • Archive

    TV: Sutton predicts tight encounter

    Top scorer John Sutton is predicting a close match when ‘Well meet Aberdeen at Fir Park tomorrow.

    The Dons have won twice in North Lanarkshire already this campaign, both in the League and Cup, whilst ‘Well took all three points at Pittodrie on Boxing Day.

    The 30-year old former St Mirren and Hearts front man reckons that demonstrates how little there is between the teams, and is certain there won’t be much to choose tomorrow afternoon.

    With the Reds sitting in second spot, one point ahead of the Steelmen, there’s everything to play for in the race for the ‘Top Six’ and European spots.

    [pullquote]There isn’t much between the two sides and we are well aware that we will need to be at our best if we’re to get something from the match.[/pullquote]

    Speaking at ‘Well’s weekly news conference, Sutton said: “People will say it’s the battle for second, but it’s not quite like that.

    “There’s loads that will happen between now and May, and I have no doubt other teams will be in the mix too.

    “Results between us this season have been a little strange; they’ve beaten us at Fir Park and we managed a win up there on Boxing Day.

    “That probably goes to show that there isn’t much between the two sides and we are well aware that we will need to be at our best if we’re to get something from the match.

    “Both teams are coming off disappointing results last weekend so it should be an entertaining afternoon for the supporters.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: McCall calls for cool heads

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall has urged his side to continue their recent performance levels when Aberdeen travel to Fir Park tomorrow.

    The Steelmen had won six consecutive matches prior to last weekend’s defeat at Celtic Park, but the squad can take heart from what was an encouraging performance against the reigning Champions.

    The tough fixtures keep coming when the second-placed Dons visit North Lanarkshire for the third time this campaign, and whilst McCall admits the game does have an extra edge, he will be encouraging his players to remain focused in the job at hand.

    [pullquote]We know it will be a tough game but, likewise, we hope to make it a tough one for them too.[/pullquote]

    Speaking to the gathered press at Motherwell’s pre-match news conference, he said: “I suppose there is a little bit of added spice to the match given both teams are so close in the league.

    “At the same time, we won’t allow ourselves to get caught up in the occasion and we’ll treat it like any other match.

    “Derek’s side has performed well away from home this season but we too have put in a couple of good performances in our recent matches on our own patch (against St Mirren and St Johnstone).

    “We know it will be a tough game but, likewise, we hope to make it a tough one for them too. It’s got all the makings of an entertaining game.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Aberdeen Magazine Preview

    The twelfth domestic Steelmen Matchday Magazine of 2013/14 is on sale when Aberdeen visit on Saturday.

    But what is inside the 68-page issue?

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall and Captain Keith Lasley both return with the regular columns.

    The Fir Park gaffer looks back at last week’s defeat at Celtic Park, recalls previous battles with the Dons and assesses the battle for the top-six and European spots.

    The skipper chats about the controversy following last week’s match against Celtic and the difficulty facing a talented Aberdeen side.

    The feature interview is with Faroese goalkeeper Gunnar Nielsen. The former Blackburn and Man City stopper talks about some of his previous injury hell, finally getting back to fitness and his desperation to repay the faith shown in him by the ‘Well coaching staff.

    Gunnar also features as the next in the centre-page souvenir poster collection.

    But that’s not where the features stop!

    There is the usual extensive section dedicated to our visitors, Aberdeen.

    As ever, Ray Morrison introduces the Reds and there’s a player-by-player breakdown of who is likely to line up for the Dons

    We also report from Pittodrie and the hosts went down narrowly to Inverness Caley..

    Graeme McGarry’s ‘Us and Them’ feature also makes a welcome return, speaking to Dundee midfielder Stephen Hughes.

    ‘Shug’ talks about how much he enjoyed his time at both Motherwell and Aberdeen and his hopes of a Premiership return with the Dark Blues.

    The big features keep coming…

    ‘From the Press Box’ returns with regular host, the Herald’s Scott Mullen and the third of our Eggheads ‘Quarter Final’ clashes pits Lee Hollis against Simon Ramsden.

    Ross Dunbar also returns with his latest ‘Football from around the World’ feature, which looks as the success of FC Augsburg in the Bundesliga.

    But wait, there’s more!

    Our match reports section takes a look back at the 3-0 defeat at Celtic Park as well as the Under 20s 2-1 win over Dunfermline.

    There are a couple of Community stories, with former Chairman and owner John Boyle sponsoring Motherwell’s version of the Apprentice and a background on the More Active, More Often scheme.

    We have the latest from The Ticket Office as well as the latest stats, facts and figures from the 2013/2014 campaign.

    We also take a statistical look at the match official and the ‘Junior Steel’ kids page that will test the youngster’s quiz minds with puzzles and ‘Did you know’ facts.

    The programme is available for £3 and is will be on sale from the Club Shop as well as the usual sellers located in and around the ground pre-match.

    You can also order back editions or take a season-long subscription to the magazine by visiting the website of our publishers – Curtis-Sport – CLICK HERE.

    Fans who collect the Steelmen Matchday Magazine should note that the abandoned Inverness magazine has been wrote off as it’s possible the postponed match won’t be for some time. Thanks to the understanding of our partners, Curtis Sport, to keep ‘Well fans as up-to-date as possible, they have kindly offered to underwrite the cost of the print, saving the club a four-figure sum. However, we are also aware that fans, collectors in particular, are always keen to get a hold of these rare issues. To that end, a limited number of 100 will be available in the ‘Well Shop and online at Curtis Sport’s website.

  • Archive

    McLean in charge against Aberdeen

    Referee for this Saturday’s SPFL Premiership clash with Aberdeen will be Steven McLean.

    McLean, the brother of former ‘Well defender Brian, is handling his fourth Motherwell game of the current campaign – two of the three won’t live long in the memory.

    The first was back in November, when a depleted Steelmen crashed 4-0 at home to Dundee United.

    One month later, as ‘Well were hurting from a Scottish Cup exit, he was the man in the middle for Celtic’s 5-0 win at Fir Park.

    Thankfully, last time out, he was the man in the middle for our 5-1 win at Firhill in late December.

    Steven is a very familiar face to most Motherwell fans having taken charge of six matches last term too.

    His first was the exceptional 5-1 success over Inverness CT just over 12 months ago. Henrik Ojamaa, Adam Cummins, Omar Daley and a Jamie Murphy double completed the rout.

    His second was perhaps even more memorable as Motherwell came back from 2-0 down at Easter Road to win 3-2. A Doyle double had the home side in a commanding position but a Murphy brace and a late Bob McHugh winner handed the Steelmen all three points.

    Third was the New Year fixture against today’s opponents Celtic when a brave ‘Well went down 1-0 after Tom Hateley had missed a second half penalty.

    Fourth was the instantly forgettable 2-0 defeat at Rugby Park in February whereas the fifth was a comfortable 3-0 win at Dens Park – Michael Higdon heading home before a Nicky Law double sealed the three points.

    His last was the season finale at McDiarmid Park as the Steelmen went down 2-0 to a Saints side that won the race for Europe ahead of Inverness and Ross County.

    His overall record in charge of Motherwell reads ten wins, five defeats and zero draws from fifteen matches. In those games, ‘Well have scored 34 and conceded 25. 40 cautions have been dished out, 24 flashed at those wearing Claret and Amber.

    Four people have been sent off, two for ‘Well (Fraser Kerr and Keith Lasley in the same match against Killie last year).

    He has had an extremely busy start to the season already – handling sixteen SPFL Premiership matches in the first twelve weeks.

    He has also had two League Cup matches, both at the Falkirk Stadium, and two Europa League Qualifiers – Omonia Nikosia’s 1-2 defeat by Romania’s Astra Giurgiu and Serbian side FK Vojvodina’s 2-2 draw with Bursaspor.
    Recently, he also handled the Europa League Group game between Standard Liège and IF Elfsborg Boras.

    McLean will be ably assisted by Brian Templeton and Joseph Lawson with Craig Charleston on fourth official duties.

  • Archive

    Book Aberdeen hospitality now

    Aberdeen visit Fir Park this Saturday and we are putting on a fantastic lunch menu in our hospitality suites.

    It’s a Saturday and it’s a 3pm kick off so an idea opportunity to combine a lovely afternoon meal with one of the most popular and eagerly-anticipated fixtures of the season.

    Places are filling up quickly, indeed, there are only a few spaces left available in some areas, so the atmosphere promises to be electric.

    We will be serving:

    • Cream of Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
    • Roast Chicken wrapped in Bacon, served with Chefs selection of vegetables.
    • White Chocolate & Raspberry Cheese Cake, served with Fresh Cream.
    • Tea, Coffee & Mints.

    All hospitality packages include your match ticket, programme, team sheet and half time tea.

    Former players will host the afternoon with your chance to meet first team players and club staff whilst enjoying your afternoon.

    You have a choice of three packages:

    • Centenary Claret: Arriving at 1pm prompt for meal. Full service with access to a pay bar till kick off and then again for an hour post match. All this in the comfort of our Centenary Lounge. Book now from only £60 for an adult and £45 for a child under 16.
    • Centenary Amber: Arriving at 1pm prompt for meal. Full table service with complimentary bar and then again for an hour post match. All this in the comfort of our Centenary Lounge. Book now from only £99 for an adult and £55 for a child under 16.
    • Millennium Ticket: Enjoy a lighter bite with a complimentary bar for one-hour pre & post. Soup pre-match and half time refreshments, team sheet, match day programme for only £70 for an adult and £35 for a child.

    If you would like to book a place at our fantastic Hospitality Lunch, you can do so online by CLICKING HERE.

    Alternatively, please phone Jennifer Reston on 01698 338 008 or email

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Excelsior Stadium

    Extended highlights from the Excelsior Stadium as as the U20s recover from going a goal down to beat Dunfermline 2-1.


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: Johansson satisfied with Pars win

    Jonatan Johansson was pleased with the character his side showed to come back from a goal down to beat Dunfermline.

    The young Steelmen fell behind to a long-range Stephen Husband goal shortly after the break but goals from Jack Leitch and Craig Moore gave ‘Well their second successive victory, propelling them to third in the table.

    And whilst the 106-times capped Johansson identified certain areas that need to be improved, he was pleased to win and maintain the run of good form.

    [pullquote]I’m pleased with the win and it’s a reward for the work they put in during the week and during games. They’re a great bunch of lads and hopefully we build on this win[/pullquote]

    Speaking to MFC TV, he said: “It was a mixed bag as I wasn’t really happy with the first half; we were nervous with the ball and looked hasty, but came out and looked much better in the second half. It took us going a goal down to get ourselves into the game and look confident on the ball.

    “We’ve been winning our last few games and that had given the side confidence to believe that if they go a goal down, the can still turn it around and that’s what happened tonight.

    “The boys are growing in that way and that is good to see.

    “I’m pleased with the win and it’s a reward for the work they put in during the week and during games. They’re a great bunch of lads and hopefully we build on this win.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 2 – 1 Dunfermline U20s

    Motherwell Under 20s came from behind to beat Dunfermline 2-1 at a rain-soaked Excelsior Stadium this evening.

    After a fairly even first forty-five, the Pars took the lead nine minutes into the second half when midfield Stephen Husband’s long-range free kick squirmed through Ross Stewart and into the net.

    The lead lasted just ten minutes though as Jack Leitch hauled Motherwell level from the penalty spot before Craig Moore curled home the winner eleven minutes from time.

    Jonatan Johansson was forced into one change with Dale Shirkie missing with a fractured jaw sustained in last week’s win against Hearts. His replacement was the returning Jack Leitch, who skippered the side.

    With the rain battering down and the wind making it difficult for the players, it perhaps wasn’t surprising that the game got off to a slowish start.

    Indeed, twenty minutes had come and gone before a chance of note and it fell for the visitors. Declan O’Kane did well to meet a whipped corner from the left, but his powerful header came crashing back off the crossbar.

    Five minutes later and it was another corner causing problems in the home defence, this time Husband flicked on a near post ball forcing Stewart to tip over.

    ‘Well went immediately down the other end and Craig Moore looked for a penalty after being brought down by Ross Millen but referee Colin Steven waved away the protests.

    Whether it was a sense of injustice or not, that decision appeared to fire up the young Steelmen, and they should have been in front five minutes later. A quick-thinking Dom Thomas free kick rolled in Craig McCall but his stinging shot forced Ryan Goodfellow to turn around.

    A minute later, Steven Higgins should have put ‘Well in front after racing clear of the Pars defence, but his low shot crept inches wide of the far post.

    Both teams had a couple of long-range efforts comfortably dealt with before McCall had a great chance to get his first Under 20s goal just minutes from the break. The ball spun towards the midfielder after a poor defensive clearance, but his shot blazed into the stand.

    Much like the first half, the second period took some time to get going but when it did, it was with the visitors getting their noses in front.

    Husband, Pars’ most impressive player on the night, smashed a long range free kick at goal. It looked comfortable enough for young Ross Stewart to grasp but the wet ball squirmed through his body and rolled into the net.

    To their credit, the Steelmen came roaring back and were almost level straight away; Thomas collecting after a quick counter only for his shot to be tipped into the side netting by the diving Goodfellow.

    However, they did restore parity shortly after when Moore won his side a penalty kick. O’Kane fouled the striker inside the area, allowing Jack Leitch the chance to grab his fifth of the season. He kept his composure, drilling a shot hard down the middle.

    Johansson’s men pushed hard for a second and half chances came and went for Moore, who curled over, and Thomas, who just failed to connect with a McCafferty cross towards the back post.

    However, the defining moment came on the 73rd minute when Dunfermline passed up an incredible opportunity to get back in front.

    Scott Mercer was the creator, doing well inside the area, before firing a shot across Stewart. It hit the base of the post, spun out to Gavin McMillan who had the goal at his mercy just four yards but he somehow blazed over.

    It was to prove a vital miss as ‘Well would get the winner just five minutes later.

    Leitch did well to force the ball over to the left channel where Steven Higgins was lurking.

    Despite slipping, he managed to prod the ball back to Moore who curled a shot high past Goodfellow and into the far corner, his fifteenth Under 20s goal this term.

    Although they displayed a ton of effort and endeavour, the Pars didn’t look like getting back into things. A long-range effort from Mercer was the closest they came in the closing ten minutes as ‘Well held out for back-to-back wins.

    Motherwell: Stewart, Cadden, Ferguson, Murray, Neill, Leitch, McCafferty, McCall (Mackin – 74mins), Moore, Thomas, Higgins (Anderson – 85mins)

    Subs Not Used: Long, Hall