Latest News

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Excelsior Stadium

  • Archive

    TV: Johansson lauds ruthless ‘Well

  • Archive

    Partick Thistle U20s 0-5 Motherwell U20s

  • Archive

    Moore has height for the fight

  • Archive

    Under 20s to face Partick Thistle

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Fir Park

  • Archive

    Celtic draw in pictures

  • Archive

    TV: McCall proud of battling ‘Well

  • Archive

    Motherwell 3 – 3 Celtic

  • Archive

    Celtic Magazine Preview

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Excelsior Stadium

    Extended highlights from the Excelsior Stadium as a ruthless ‘Well beat Partick Thistle Under 20s 5-0.


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: Johansson lauds ruthless ‘Well

    Jonatan Johansson praised the ruthless nature of Motherwell’s attacking play as they put five past Partick Thistle.

    The Fir Parkers weren’t always at their fluid best and, despite the score line, Thistle battled and worked hard to play attractive football.

    But in front of goal, the Steelmen showed no mercy, taking five and only a strong performance from Jags keeper Scott Basalaj kept the score line at five.

    The former Finnish International striker said: “I felt we were the better side and it was a very professional performance.

    [pullquote]At times, we moved the ball well, some of our play was effectively quick and the standard of the goals was high.[/pullquote]

    “At times, we moved the ball well, some of our play was effectively quick and the standard of the goals was high.

    “It took us a bit of time to get going, but when we did, we managed to stretch the game, play wider and get our fullbacks more involved.

    “As a team, going forward, we looked good.

    “We’ve now got two games to go before the end of the season and the challenge for us is to finish the season on a high, in fourth spot.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Partick Thistle U20s 0-5 Motherwell U20s

    A ruthless Motherwell Under 20s put five past Partick Thistle as they look to finish the season with a bang.

    First half goals from Steven Higgins, Paul McCafferty and Dom Thomas gave the Steelmen a commanding lead at the interval.

    A string of impressive saves by Jags keeper Scott Basalaj kept the score line at three before Higgins grabbed a fourth and Shirkie a fifth, as ‘Well comfortably brushed aside their Firhill counterparts.

    Jonatan Johansson made four changes to the side that beat St Johnstone seven days previous.

    Ross Stewart, Ben Hall, Jack McMillan and Lee Erwin all dropped out, replaced by Max Currie, Euan Murray, Craig McCall and Craig Moore.

    It was a slow start to the match and it took ‘Well until the twelfth minute to register the game’s first half-chance.

    Moore had a shot blocked for a corner then, shortly after, Higgins took advantage of a mistake in the Thistle backline but could only curl a shot wide of target.

    Fifteen minutes later, Thistle might have scored when David Wilson had a free header from a corner, but he couldn’t direct it at goal and ‘Well eventually scrambled it clear.

    It would prove to be a vital miss as, almost immediately after, ‘Well got their noses in front.

    Dom Thomas won the ball deep in the Thistle half and immediately set the visitors on the attack. Moore picked up on the edge of the area and Basalaj could only parry his fizzing shot out where Steven Higgins was lurking. The eighteen-year old kept his cool to slam home from close range.

    Leyden and Hamilton both had half-chances for Thistle, none of which troubled Currie in the Steelmen goal, before the Fir Parkers doubled their advantage on the 41st minute.

    After a patient, passing move, Paul McCafferty collected on the left flank. He turned his marker before sending an inviting ball towards the front post. Higgins went for it, missed it, but it carried on and into the far corner.

    Incredibly, ‘Well made it 3-0 seconds before the half-time interval. Craig Moore was again the creator, his free kick again parried out by Basalaj, but this time it was Dom Thomas who was on hand to force the rebound home.

    Into the second half and Johansson’s men made a barnstorming start, with Thistle having their goalkeeper to thank for keeping them within touching distance.

    He made three excellent saves, from Higgins, Moore and Cadden, all of which came after Ross Meechan had hooked a Paul McCafferty shot off the line.

    However, it was only a matter of time before the Steelmen added to their lead and the fourth eventually arrived on the 64th minute.

    Max Currie’s kick out was flicked on by McCafferty, allowing Higgins to burst clear of the home defence; the striker kept his composure to slide under Basalaj for his second of the evening.

    ‘Well continued to attack and passed up several chances to add a fifth. Thomas fired wide after industrious wing play by Cadden, before Shirkie and Higgins carved open the Jags defence with a lovely one-two, only for the former to watch on and his shot was again well saved by Basalaj at point-blank range.

    Thistle’s first shot on target came on the 72nd minute when Lee Gallacher fired a shot from distance, but it presented no problems for Currie who comfortably plucked it out the air.

    Two minutes passed before ‘Well added their fifth and final goal. Thomas showed great feet in the Thistle box before being crudely tripped by Mick McMullen. Although Higgins was on a treble, regular penalty taker Dale Shirkie coolly stepped up and slotted it past Basalaj, who couldn’t keep it out despite going the right way.

    Thistle’s best chance of the match again came from Gallacher, the little midfielder doing well to get a shot away from the edge of the area and although it beat Currie, it clipped the outside of the post on the way past.

    Five minutes before the finish, Higgins almost grabbed his hat trick with an audacious lob over Basalaj, but the Thistle keeper scrambled back onto his line before tipping over.

    Motherwell: Currie, Cadden, Ferguson, Murray (Hall – 58mins), Neill, McCall, McCafferty, Shirkie, Moore (Johnstone – 63mins), Thomas (Mackin – 77mins), Higgins

    Subs: Long, Watt, MacLean

  • Archive

    Moore has height for the fight

    Craig Moore has always classed himself as a determined person but his edge has been further sharpened by some major challenges in the early part of his career.

    After being told he was too short to be a footballer when he was released by Hearts at Under 15 level, he quickly bounced back and scored his first Motherwell goal against the Edinburgh club seconds into his Scottish Premiership debut at the age of 19.

    Moore had already proved he could score at senior level during a prolific spell with Cowdenbeath, as he helped the Fife club avoid relegation from the First Division.

    And this season he has recovered from a cracked rib to regain his place in the Motherwell team as they fight for a European place.

    His next challenge is to rediscover his goalscoring touch – and experience has taught him that determination and hard work are the key.

    Those attributes came to the fore when, in an era when Barcelona’s diminutive trio of Lionel Messi, Xavi and Andres Iniesta have dominated world football, he became the latest Scottish youngster to be wrongly told he was too small to make the grade.

    As with the likes of Pat Nevin before him – who suffered the same fate at Celtic – Moore fought back to prove his doubters wrong after then Motherwell youth supremo Gordon Young picked him up.

    The teenager, who spent six years with Hearts, said: “They let me go because of my height. I was gutted. I didn’t know what to do. It was the first time I had really been knocked back from anything.

    “Thankfully I got another team quite quickly and came to Motherwell, so it didn’t affect me as much. If I had a wee bit of time off I might have been thinking about it more and wondering what I was going to do. But I came to Motherwell more or less straight away.

    “It’s just one of those things. You look at them now and they are not the biggest team. Maybe they used it as an excuse, I don’t know.

    “My dad just told me not to let it affect me, just go out and let my ability do the talking rather than worrying about my height.

    “When I came here, Youngy was brand new to me and told me I didn’t need to worry about my height at all, which gave me confidence.”

    Moore got his chance at first-team level in the second half of last season with a successful loan spell with Cowdenbeath where the goals flowed.

    “It should have been nine but it was seven because two got chalked off when a game got abandoned,” he said.

    “It was great experience, it’s a lot more competitive than the under-20s. It helped me push on.

    “We fought a relegation battle and won against Hamilton on the last game of the season and Dunfermline lost, so they went into the play-offs and ended up going down. We had to win and I scored in that game so it was good. It was a big relief.”

    Moving to the do-or-die situation of a relegation dogfight helped prepare Moore for his surge into the Motherwell first team this season.

    “We had to win every game, so you always had to be at your best.

    “It woke you up a wee bit, you thought ‘there’s a wee bit more to this’. The club could go down and lose a lot of money.

    “Fighting for something gave you a little bit more to work for.

    “No footballer wants to get relegated. As soon as I went there it sunk in, everyone is fighting for their life so we better make sure we stay up.

    “Colin Cameron was great, I thank him for giving me the chance to show what I can do.

    “It was a pleasure playing under him and I felt welcome as soon as I went up, and never really looked back from there.

    “The first game I scored against Partick, that was the game that got called off, but it gave me a confidence boost. Not just the goals, but playing a full game was a boost, it got me fitter and sharper.”

    Moore made his Motherwell debut in the away leg of the Europa League tie with Kuban Krasnodar in August and netted a sensational 30-yard equaliser moments into his league debut – against the team that knocked him back.

    The goal in a 2-1 win over Hearts was the perfect introduction to the Motherwell first team and he put in an impressive performance in a 2-0 win at Kilmarnock that marked his first start for the club.

    But Moore is always focused on improvement and wants to kick on from that goal and grab his second for the club.

    Speaking about the goal against Hearts, he said: “Don’t get me wrong, they treated me brilliantly, but they let me go so it was great to give that wee bit back to them.

    “But I have wanted to kick on a wee bit more since that first goal. I’ve had chances and I should have had more goals, but it will come.

    “I’m not going to lose confidence. I know I can do it.

    “I am a bit critical of myself, I am probably my biggest critic. When I get chances, I know I should be taking them. I am working on it.

    “You don’t let it affect you, you just keep getting in the positions, and you are going to take one at one point.

    “I’m gaining experience. Coming on and scoring that goal straight away has probably been a stone round my neck as well. People are expecting another goal, another goal. I’ve been expecting it as well, but as soon as it comes, more will come.”

    Moore’s chances of scoring again were not helped by a two-month lay-off with a cracked rib but he worked his way back into Stuart McCall’s plans last month and has made a significant contribution in recent weeks, setting up three goals in as many games.

    Moore is not satisfied with that though and he wants to get back on the scoresheet and do everything he can to help Motherwell achieve their goal of securing another season of European football.

    “I’ve been happy with getting a couple of assists as well but I think I should be scoring more,” he said.

    “I’ve been working on it in training. I know I need to work hard, I have that instilled in me and I always work hard anyway.

    “Even after training putting in extra work, going up the gym, that will help me. It’s all about hard work and determination.

    “I’ve always had that and getting let go by Hearts has made me a wee bit more determined to prove everybody wrong as well. They let me go but I’ll come back stronger.

    “I play every game as if it’s my last, like every game is the most important of the season. That’s the way I look at it.”

    Words: Gavin McCafferty

    Interview first appeared in the vs
    Celtic Steelmen Matchday Magazine

  • Archive

    Under 20s to face Partick Thistle

    Motherwell Under 20s return to action tomorrow (Tuesday) when they take on Partick Thistle at the Excelsior Stadium.

    Jonatan Johansson’s men currently sit fifth in the table, a point behind Hamilton Accies with a game in hand over our Lanarkshire neighbours.

    And although ‘Well are now out of the race for the title, with Hibs, Celtic and Rangers too far in front, the Finn will be desperate for his side to finish fourth.

    Although tomorrow’s match is an away match, it will be played at the Steelmen’s adopted home of the Excelsior Stadium, with kick-off at 6pm.

    >> Under 20s Fixtures and Reports

    >> Under 20s League Table

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Fir Park

    Extended highlights from Fir Park as a late John Sutton strike rescues a deserved point for a battling Steelmen side.


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Celtic draw in pictures

    Action pictures from this afternoon’s swashbuckling 3-3 draw with Celtic at Fir Park.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix.

    [svgallery name=”celtic190414″]

  • Archive

    TV: McCall proud of battling ‘Well

    Stuart McCall praised the character of his side as they put the disappointment of blowing a lead to one side to snatch a late point against Celtic.

    ‘Well raced into a two-goal first half lead thanks to strikes from John Sutton and Francis-Angol, but Anthony Stokes changed the dynamic of the game with an audacious chip right on half-time to reduce that advantage.

    Georgios Samaras equalised for Celtic before substitute Leigh Griffiths completed the comeback with a third late in the game.

    There would be even later drama though, when Lionel Ainsworth teed up Sutton for a 91st minute leveller, which earned the Steelmen what could be an important point.

    [pullquote]But for the guys to get back on track and score such a good goal is testament to them. It’s a great dressing room and when you take everything into account, our results against Celtic and having six players unavailable, it’s a great point.[/pullquote]

    “I am proud of them,” McCall said after the match.

    “Prior to today, Celtic had conceded something like just sixteen goals all season so long so to put three past them and create more chances throughout the match.

    “We started so well and our shape worked well. We had a Plan B for when they changed, which they did, which focused more on counter-attacking. We had to drop a little deeper, but always thought we carried a threat on the break.

    “Obviously it was so disappointing to lose a third when we did was heartbreaking.

    “But for the guys to get back on track and score such a good goal is testament to them. It’s a great dressing room and when you take everything into account, our results against Celtic and having six players unavailable, it’s a great point.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Motherwell 3 – 3 Celtic

    [tab:Match report]

     Phil McGhee at Fir Park

    Motherwell earned their first point from Celtic this season after goals from Zaine Francis-Angol and a John Sutton doubled secured a 3-3 draw.

    For the second consecutive match, ‘Well raced into a two-goal lead but the Parkhead side had fought back to take the lead five minutes from time it took an injury time equaliser to reward ‘Well for their fabulous contribution to an exciting game.

    With captain Keith Lasley suspended, Jack Leitch Started in midfield with Craig Reid deployed in a holding role in front of the back four.

    ‘Well made the perfect start when they beat Fraser Forster for the first time this season.

    The Parkhead defence failed to cut out Stephen McManus’ long floated pass, allowing John Sutton space in the box to drive a left foot shot across and under the ‘keeper’s body to give them a lead after only three minutes.

    The Premiership Champions looked a bit stunned and as ‘Well grew in confidence, it should have been 2-0 after 13 minutes. A great through ball from Iain Vigurs sent Henri Anier haring towards the visitor’s goal but, after cutting across the box, the Estonian’s left foot shot was eventually blocked by Efe Ambrose.

    Stephen McManus then had a brilliant block just outside the six-yard box to deny Scott Brown.

    All Motherwell’s hard work looked to be undone when Vigurs’ trip on Anthony Stokes at the edge of the box presented Celtic with a penalty. Kris Commons, deadly from the spot this season, hammered his spot kick low to the right but Gunner Nielsen at full stretch palmed the ball off his line for a wonderful save.

    That lifted ‘Well and Vigurs and then Leitch, who had another impressive game, drilled shots just wide of target.

    Two minutes from the break the Fir Park side doubled their lead. Another long ball, this time from Hammell, floated over Celtic’s central defenders, and when Anier nudged the ball in front of Zaine Francis-Angol, the Antiguan squeezed his shot through Forster’s legs to make it 2-0.

    That would have been commanding at half-time but for the third time in recent weeks, Stuart McCall’s men conceded a goal just before the break.

    There appeared to be little danger as Stokes collected the ball deep inside the box with his back to goal but the striker turned and clipped a delightful shot high over the stretching Nielsen and under the cross bar.

    While that gave Celtic the initiative to chase an equaliser from the start of the second half, Motherwell almost extended their lead after 53 minutes. Vigurs’ in-swinging corner found Fraser Kerr and his header was netbound until Beram Kayal stooped on the goal line to head clear.

    Painfully, just two minutes later Celtic were level. Stokes shot was heading down the centre of the goal until Georgios Samaras stuck out a leg to redirect the ball high into the net.

    It was the end-to-end stuff as both sides then went looking for a winner.

    And after Leitch fired another shot narrowly wide Nielsen pulled of a great block to deny Brown.

    Another inswinging corner from Vigurs caused panic in the Celtic goal forcing Forster to beat the ball off his line with claims it had already crept over.

    With ten minutes remaining Neil Lennon’s men had another narrow escape when Anier turned well in the area but Forster excellently turned around his firm shot.

    There were loud shouts for a penalty when Samaras appeared to control a cross with his hands but referee Craig Thomson waved aside claims. Television pictures would show it was an excellent decision from the official.

    It turned out to be a doubly whammy five minutes later when Celtic grabbed the lead. Stokes ball from the edge of the box rolled in behind the home defence and Leigh Griffiths reacted quickest to sweep the ball behind Nielsen for what looked like the winner.

    However with Craig Moore and Lionel Ainsworth coming off the bench ‘Well were determined to take something from the game and were rewarded in the final minute.

    Reid, who had a terrific ninety minutes in his new role, fed the ball in behind Izaguirre leaving Ainsworth to race to the line before steering the ball across the goal line allowing Sutton to force the ball into the net for his 22nd goal of the season and boost ‘Well’s final push for a European place.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Alan Burrows at Fir Park

    Full Time: Motherwell 3 – 3 Celtic. A deserved point for a hard-working Motherwell. What a shift they put in!

    90mins+1: GET IT! GET IN! GET IN! Lovely ball across goal is turned in by Sutton at the back post.


    90mins: There will be three minutes of time added on here at Fir Park.

    90mins: Stokes turns well on the edge, but his low shot is well held by Nielsen.

    88mins: Double sub for ‘Well. Moore and Ainsworth come on for the impressive Leitch and Henri Anier.

    86mins: Football isn’t half cruel at times.

    84mins: The sub makes a run from deep to get on the end of a Stokes through ball and coolly slots home.

    GOAL Celtic! Leigh Griffiths makes it 3-2.

    81mins: Big shouts for a handball against Samaras but it’s chest by the Greek forward. Good call by referee Craig Thomson to be fair.

    81mins: Great stop by Forster to deny Anier. Turn and hit by the Estonian but it’s clawed away for a corner.

    78mins: Almightily scramble inside the ‘Well six-yard box. It’s not properly cleared before Commons fires wide from 15 yards. Phew.

    75mins: ‘Well float a free-kick into the area which is punched clear (to the half-way line no less) by Forster. Impressive.

    73mins: Celtic make another change. Defender Herron comes off for striker Balde. Visitors have some amount of attackers on the pitch.

    72mins: ‘Well apply some pressure but Celtic hold firm at the back. It’s anyone’s game here… Both teams deserve huge credit.

    70mins: ‘Well get down the left flank – ZFA finds space, his ball is cut back for Sutton but Celtic forced into conceding a corner.

    69mins: Lovely little Zidane-turn by Leitch gets away from Stokes before being fouled by Brown. Skills!

    66mins: Celtic sub – Kayal comes off to be replaced by Leigh Griffiths. Visitors certainly going for it now.

    65mins: Right down the other end, Hammell has to make an incredible last-ditch block to deny Commons again. What a game!

    65mins: Incredible as Vigurs almost score directly from a corner. Great last-ditch block by Forster to save.

    63mins: Celtic counter after robbing the ball in the middle of the park. Brown eventually get the ball but his shot is again saved by GN.

    62mins: Intelligent little give and go move from Celtic – Kayal eventually get the shot away but it’s straight at Nielsen who saves.

    61mins: Lovely little one-two move between Leitch and Vigurs. The former eventually gets a shot away on the stretch but it goes wide.

    57mins: Wow – Celtic come close to making it 3-2. Corner to the back post finds van Dijk and he heads over. Let off there for sure.

    56mins: Long throw in the box headed clear by McManus to Stokes. His shot is flicked into the net by Samaras from close range.

    GOAL Samaras! 2-2 here at Fir Park.
    54mins: Awww, ‘Well go so close to making it 3-1. Kerr’s header from a corner beats the ‘keeper but Kayal heads it off the line 🙁
    52mins: van Dijk eventually takes the kick under the wall but it’s straight at Nielsen who collects.

    51mins: Celtic have a free-kick about 25 yards out. Just right of centre. Quite a soft award by referee Thomson – Hammell on Commons.

    50mins: Commons has the first effort of the second half, dragging a shot narrowly wide of Nielsen’s left hand post.

    48mins: Celtic have switched too, away from the diamond and are now much more direct. Fascinating tactical battle.

    48mins: Looks like a bit of a shape change for both sides. Sutton is deeper with Zaine over on the right!

    46mins: Celtic get the second half going again – Motherwell now shooting towards the Cooper Stand.

    Celtic are out already ready to go. Lennon has obviously gave them a clear and quick message. ‘Well coming out just now…

    HT: Press Room 50/50 on Stokes shot vs cross debate. Excellent goal if he meant it. ‘Well need the same spirit again in the second 45.

    HT: What a half of football that was. A bit of everything there. Celtic had loads of the ball, but ‘Well clinical. All to play for.

    Half-time: Motherwell 2 – 1 Celtic

    45mins: Celtic get a bit of luck as Stokes tries to hang up a cross to the back post but it drops into the corner.

    GOAL Celtic! Stokes makes it 2-1.

    44mins: Ball into the area is helped on by Henri Anier for the Antiguan International who pokes home under Forster. Incredible!


    42mins: Anier wins a corner of Ambrose but Celtic eventually clear the ball from Vigurs. Game stopped for a ‘Frimpong’ on Ambrose. #ouch

    40mins: Kayal robs Vigurs in the middle of the park but when the Israeli took the shot on, he ballooned it high over the bar. Phew.

    38mins: What a block by Stevie Hammell… Stops a certain Commons goal after Stokes’ low ball across the area. Brilliant from Hammy!

    35mins: Kayal’s cross into the box almost has Commons in with the spectacular scissor kick but thankfully it hits a defender and is cleared.

    33mins: ‘Well backline drop deep which allows Samaras in for a back post header… Thankfully it drops a yard or two past the post.

    30mins: A Stokes shot from distance hits McManus on the head. Thankfully no penalty this week… Just a corner! :-p

    26mins: Another wee half chance there. Good hassling allows Leitch in. Has options to his right but shoots high over the bar.

    25mins: Decent ball into the box allows Sutton to leap but his header loops high and wide of target. Still 1-0 ‘Well here at Fir Park.

    23mins: Down the other end, Vigurs is involved again but he drags a 25-yard shot a yard or so wide of the Forster’s post.

    22mins: Celtic claim for another spot kick when Vigurs catches Commons. Looked like a foul, but outside the box. Ref doesn’t give anything.

    SAVED!!! What a great block by Nielsen. That’s an incredible save by the Faroe Islander.

    21mins: Penalty Celtic! Stokes goes down under after a tackle by Vigurs.

    20mins: Celtic enjoying loads of the ball. They’ve had 74% possession in the last ten minutes. ‘Well working hard to contain.

    19mins: Dutch defender van Dijk takes on a shot from distance but it sails high over the bar and into the Cooper Stand. Still 1-0 ‘Well.

    17mins: Great block by McManus to deny Scott Brown (I think)… The experienced defender at full stretch to deny a certain goal.

    14mins: Counter attack by Anier! Vigs puts the Estonian through but by the time he gets the shot away, it’s blocked out by Ambrose. Corner.

    12mins: Good positive play down the right by Anier leads to an opening. Ball falls to ZFA but his cross is easily taken by Fraser Forster.

    7mins: Izaguirre whips a decent ball into the area but Faroese International Gunnar Nielsen comes out well to collect.

    4mins: Sutton gets onto a ball over the top of Ambrose and he fires it hard under Forster for 1-0. His 21st of the season. Great start…


    3mins: Samaras has the first shot of the match, a Hutchinson clearance drops to the Greek striker but he curls it wide from 20 yards.

    2mins: Celtic are on the attack. Couple of ball into the area that ping-pong around but the Steelmen hook them clear…

    1min: Motherwell kick-off – shooting towards the Maxim Office South Stand…

    The teams are coming out the tunnel and we’re almost ready to go! Good luck lads… #COYW


    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “I really enjoyed that, I’m so proud of the lads today. I thought we played our best football at 2-2.

    “We’ve done it so often this season, we lose silly goals right on half-time but it was a great goal by Stokes. We knew Celtic would come at us in the second half and they got an early goal.

    “But we got what we deserved. There were some massive performances from the players.

    “They looked dead on their feet but they dug out a point and next week’s game against Dundee United is massive.”

    Celtic manager Neil Lennon:

    “I am annoyed. We were poor defensively first half, gifted Motherwell two goals with poor defending.

    “There was definitely a psychological edge missing first half. We got all that back in the second half, we were fantastic, and we should have won the game.

    “We dominated the second-half from start to finish but switched off. Motherwell had one attack and scored from it.

    “On the counter attack we had three four or five really good chances to make the game safe.

    “The keeper has made a great save from the penalty, so overall, attacking wise, we were really very good, defensively we were sloppy.

    “We were done with a straight ball for the first one but I think the keeper should save it, the second one we have missed the flight of a cross and the third one Emilio (Izaguirre) is sleeping and they have got in behind us.

    “But I am really pleased with the quality and character in the second half.”


    [poll id=”189″]

  • Archive

    Celtic Magazine Preview

    The seventeenth domestic Steelmen Matchday Magazine of 2013/14 is on sale when Celtic visit this Saturday.

    But what is inside the 68-page issue?

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall and skipper Keith Lasley both return with their regular columns.

    The Fir Park gaffer reflects on the frustrating defeat at St Mirren Park and what is required to get the better of Celtic.

    The captain, who is suspended for the match, talks about the SPFL Premiership run-in as ‘Well battle it out with as many as five clubs for a sport in next season’s Europa League.

    The feature interview is with young striker Craig Moore. The 19-year old chats about overcoming some early setbacks in his fledgling career to play

    in the top flight of Scottish football.

    ‘Moorey’ also features as the next in the centre-page souvenir poster collection.

    There is the usual extensive section dedicated to our visitors, Kilmarnock Football Club.

    As ever, Ray Morrison introduces Celtic and there’s a player-by-player breakdown of who is likely to line up for the Parkhead side.

    Graeme McGarry’s ‘Us and Them’ feature also returns, speaking to Barnsley midfielder Jim O’Brien

    The Irishman talks about his time at both clubs, recalling some sound advice from a Celtic legend, his up and down relationship with the Steelmen and his hopes for the Tykes.

    ‘From the Press Box’ is back with regular host, the Herald’s Scott Mullen and Graham Barnstaple’s two new columns make it in again…. They Wear Claret and Amber focuses on Turkish heavyweights Galatasaray and his ‘Programmes through the Years’ looks back at some of the editions from the 1960s.

    ‘This Week in Motherwell History’ focuses on 16th March to 23rd April with a reminder of one of the blackest days in the clubs’ history.

    But wait, there’s more!

    Our match reports section takes a look back at the controversial 3-2 defeat by St Mirren as well as the Under 20s 3-0 defeat at Lennoxtown.

    We have the latest from The Ticket Office, Commercial and Community Departments as well as the latest stats, facts and figures from the 2013/2014 campaign.

    We also take a statistical look at the match official and the ‘Junior Steel’ kids page that will test the youngster’s quiz minds with puzzles and ‘Did you know’ facts.

    The programme is available for £3 and is will be on sale from the Club Shop as well as the usual sellers located in and around the ground pre-match.

    You can also order back editions or take a season-long subscription to the magazine by visiting the website of our publishers – Curtis-Sport – CLICK HERE.