Latest News

  • Archive

    TV: Johansson happy with attitude

  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 4 – 0 Hamilton Accies

  • Archive

    Club Statement: Scott McDonald

  • Archive

    Well Society: Les Hutchison Q&A

  • Archive

    Under 20s in action this Tuesday

  • Archive

    TV: Baraclough anger at poor finish

  • Archive

    St Mirren defeat in pictures

  • Archive

    St Mirren 2 – 1 Motherwell

  • Archive

    TV: Hammell hoping for timely boost

  • Archive

    TV: Boss expects it tough in Paisley

  • Archive

    TV: Johansson happy with attitude

    Under 20s boss Jonatan Johansson has praised his side’s attitude following their big win over Hamilton Accies.

    A Craig Moore hat-trick and a Dom Thomas goal meant the young Steelmen concluded their season with a storming win against a team who Motherwell have typically hard to beat.

    With little to play for in the way of league position, the Finn was delighted with the way his side applied themselves as the season drew to a close.

    “I’m really pleased with the win and right from the start the hunger was there.

    [pullquote]”We had a few first team players playing so I asked them to show the hunger for the manager and that you want to be involved in the upcoming games and for the young ones to just go out and enjoy the end of the season, staking a claim for next year.[/pullquote]

    “Everything I asked them to do in terms of attitude was really good, especially considering the circumstances of the match. It’s easy to switch off at the end of the season but credit to the boys who went about their business as professionally as I could hope.

    “We have a good attacking side and all throughout the season, although we’ve not always played well, we create chances and today that was evident.

    “It’s a result that leaves me positive about next season and I can’t wait to get started again.”



    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 4 – 0 Hamilton Accies

    Motherwell’s Under 20s finished their season in style with a comfortable 4-0 win over Lanarkshire neighbours Hamilton Accies.

    A Craig Moore hat-trick and a Dom Thomas strike were enough to give ‘Well three points  at the unfamiliar location of Cliftonhill, home of fellow Lanarkshire side Albion Rovers after the postponement a week ago.

    Johansson made five changes to the side that beat Falkirk a fortnight ago; Danny McNulty, Craig McCall, Liam Anderson, Steven Higgins and Paul Lawson all making way for Luke Watt, Stuart Carswell, Dom Thomas Craig Moore and Jack Leitch as the Steelmen looked to end the season on a high.

    Within forty seconds they had stated their intentions.

    Good pressing by Jack Leitch set Luke Watt free down the right wing who then slid in a fine low ball to Moore who saw his shot blocked by Hill.

    However, Moore didn’t have  long to wait until he broke the deadlock.

    Thomas did well to win a free-kick 25 yards out. Leitch laid it off to Moore whose shot probably should have been dealt with by Hill but seemed to bounce over his despairing dive as ‘Well went one-up.

    Both side huffed and puffed but there was little in the way of goal-mouth action and Motherwell went into the break with the advantage.

    Again, Motherwell were quick out the traps. Substitute Adam Livingston, who was making his 20s debut, picked up a loose ball, jinked past Armstrong and played a lovely through ball to Moore with the outside of his boot. This time, though, Hill spread himself well and made the stop.

    ‘Well had a spring in their step and very nearly doubled their lead three minutes later.

    From an Accies corner, Craig Moore burst clear and slid in Dom Thomas. You’d have fancied him to find the net but he seemed to snatch at it, eventually prodding well wide of the post.

    Moments later Motherwell got the second goal their dominance had deserved.

    An innocious looking throw-in left Hill in seemingly two minds and he left his pass woefully short allowing Moore to nip in and make no mistake with the finish.

    In truth Ross Stewart in the Motherwell goal had a quiet aftenoon and the small band of gathered spectators only had to wait eight minutes for goal number three.

    Dylan Mackin picked it up just inside the Accies half and clipped a great ball over the head to the full back to Dom Thomas. He took a touch and fired past Hill to give ‘Well a commanding lead.

    The rout was completed four minutes later when Canning lost the ball cheaply to Moore just inside his half and Hill yet again found himself in a 1v1 situation. The outcome never looked in doubt, with Moore firing low past Hill and securing his hat-trick.

  • Archive

    Club Statement: Scott McDonald

    Motherwell Football Club can confirm that it has today (Monday) formally submitted an appeal to the Scottish FA in relation to Scott McDonald’s red card in Saturday’s SPFL Premiership match against St Mirren.

    The former Australian International striker was shown a straight red card by the match official, Brian Colvin, in the closing stages after being accused of violent conduct in a clash with Saints player Thomas Reilly.

    The club strongly believes this to be a case of wrongful dismissal and has therefore submitted an appeal this afternoon.

    Manager Ian Baraclough said: “I am massively disappointed as it was a poor decision in my eyes.

    “Scott’s absolutely not that type of player. I saw it with my own eyes at the time and I never had any thoughts whatsoever that it would even be a foul, let alone a red card.

    “Having watched it back again several times, I think it’s fairly clear for everyone to see that he hasn’t gone with any aggression or attempted to hurt the player and that’s the view of the lad Reilly himself, who I was pleased to read today thinks it was an incorrect decision.

    “For me, it’s a case of a striker doing what he should do, making his body as big as it can be to try and shield the ball. There was no excessive force used, no violence in my eyes and that is the foundation for our appeal.

    General Manager Alan Burrows added: “Our Football Administrator Karen Paterson has already submitted a Player Reference for Fast Tracking proceeding to the Compliance Officer, and will follow that with the relevant evidence tomorrow.

    “We had what I felt was a very fair and thorough experience when we appealed Stephen McManus’ red card in January and I expect the same again this week.”

  • Archive

    Well Society: Les Hutchison Q&A

    Motherwell FC owner Les Hutchison will host a question and answer session with supporters tomorrow.

    All ‘Well Society members and Motherwell fans are welcome to attend the event, which will be hosted by Tam Cowan in the Centenary Suite on Tuesday, May 19th at Fir Park (7.30pm start).

    The aim is to give society members the chance to chat and discuss future plans for both the club and Well Society.

    The bar will be open and hot food will be available from 6.30pm.

    Entry is free of charge, no tickets required.

  • Archive

    Under 20s in action this Tuesday

    Motherwell’s Under 20s take on local rivals Hamilton Accies at Cliftonhill tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon.

    It’s the last fixture of the season for Jonatan Johansson’s young side in what has been a season of mixed fortunes as the Steelmen sit mid-table.

    In contrast, Accies have already cemented third place and ‘Well have typically found them a tough side to beat, losing the previous encounter 1-0 back in August.

    Kick-off is 2pm. Entry is free.

  • Archive

    TV: Baraclough anger at poor finish

    Ian Baraclough felt his side should’ve had enough in the tank to see out today’s game at St Mirren.

    Despite not being near their best, the Fir Parkers took the lead on the 75th minute, Josh Sutton slamming home a penalty kick.

    However, ‘Well were unable to hold on and lost two goals in the closing stages to lose the match, a defeat that consigns the team to 11th spot an a Play-off match against either Hibernian, Rangers or Queen of the South at the end of the month.

    “My mood is one of frustration and disappointment,” Baraclough said after the match.

    “We weren’t at our best but got ourselves in front yet haven’t been able to manage the game and see it out.

    “There is enough games and experience in the dressing room to make sure we win in those situations, but we’ve switched off from a set play and lost a cheap goal.

    [pullquote]here is enough games and experience in the dressing room to make sure we win in those situations, but we’ve switched off from a set play and lost a cheap goal.[/pullquote]

    “We’ve had chances we’ve not taken and when we’ve taken the lead there was a sense of panic, not moving the ball well or working our opponents.

    Baraclough must now prepare his side for the play-offs, with a game to come against Partick Thistle first.

    He said: “Everybody’s got to be ready. Up for the battle, up for the task of now making sure we come through them play-offs.

    “I’ve gone round individuals, what their qualities are. They can go and win games of football with their quality and we’ve got to show that as a group, as a collective, each bringing out their own individual quality to go and make sure the team performs and wins games of football.”

    MFC TV

  • Archive

    St Mirren defeat in pictures

    Action pictures from this afternoon’s frustrating and disappointing 2-1 defeat at St Mirren Park.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix.

    [svgallery name=”stmirren160515″]

  • Archive

    St Mirren 2 – 1 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

    Phil McGhee St Mirren Park

    Motherwell’s attempts to avoid the play-offs came to disappointing halt after a disastrous final 15 minutes against St Mirren in front of another fabulous travelling support.

    When John Sutton converted a 75th minute penalty ‘Well seemed on course to take the fight until the last day.

    However, after Saints nicked a freakish equaliser, Ian Baraclough’s men looked resigned to the play-offs.

    Worse was to follow when Scott McDonald was harshly shown a straight red in the last minute, which would keep him out of the play-offs, before Stevie Mallan grabbed the winner for Saints deep into injury time.

    The ‘Well boss stood by the same eleven which earned the crucial three points against Kilmarnock for another must win at St Mirren Park.

    Already relegated, Saints made the more composed start, but it took until the 21st minute for the first effort on goal; Scott McDonald’s 20-yard free kick comfortably held by Marian Kello.

    A minute later Marvin Johnson’s corner was cleared only as far as Connor Grant but his well-struck volley from the edge of the box sailed over the bar.

    The ‘Well defence then withstood a storm of hailstones and a couple of goal threats from the home side.

    In the 25th minute Steven Thomson scooped the ball wide from 12 yards and a minute later, former ‘Well player Alan Gow should have opened the scoring but he curled his shot beyond the advancing George Long and the ‘keeper’s right hand post.

    The Fir Park side created the better chances before the break and Johnson tested Kello with a decent turn and shot before the visitor’s passed up the best chance of the half. Johnson and McDonald combined to set up Lee Erwin but, from six yards, he slammed his shot off Kello.

    It was Saints who made the brighter start to the second half, James Dayton’s low angled drive forced a good blocking save from Long.

    A sustained spell of action around the home goal, though, should have brought an opener for ‘Well.

    Erwin met an inviting cross from Johnson on the six-yard line, but his header flashed past the post.

    Erwin then cut the ball back for McDonald whose thumping drive was parried by Kello and before Saints could fully clear the danger, another tempting Johnson cross found McDonald out jumping his marker only to head the ball wide of target.

    Just before the hour mark and with a winning goal desperately needed, Lionel Ainsworth replaced Grant.

    Erwin’s burst and shot at the edge of the box was too direct and held by Kello before John Sutton replaced Johnson with 22 minutes remaining.

    Four minutes later the ‘Well goal had amazing escape when Lewis Morgan sprinted through the visitor’s defence and looked certain to score until Long produced a superb block. The ball fell to the unmarked Dayton, but from four yards his effort was blocked on the goal line before Long recovered to deny Kieran Sadlier again.

    And the Steelmen made the most of that escape when they grabbed the lead in the 75th minute. Erwin evaded a challenge as he raced into the box before being felled by Thomas Reilly. Facing the 1,444 ‘Well fans in the away stand, Sutton kept his cool to send Kello the wrong way and keep hopes alive.

    However, any chance of taking the fight into the last Saturday of the season disappeared in a crazy conclusion to the game.

    With seven minutes of normal time remaining a hopeful ball from Reilly was kept in on the bye-line by Jason Naismith who stretched to lift the ball over Long who turned and collided with Mark O’Brien under the bar who then headed the ball into the roof of the net.

    Worse was to follow in the final minute when McDonald was shown a straight red card after challenging for a high ball in the middle of the park with Reilly.

    With a point insufficient for ‘Well’s cause, Saints made it a dismal day claiming all three six minutes into injury time when Mallan hit a stunning winner from 30 yards.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Ally Reilly at St Mirren Park

    FT: St Mirren 2 – 1 Motherwell.

    96′ | 2-1 | #SMFCvMFC
    Goal, Mallan fires past Long from distance to make it 2-1 to St Mirren.

    90′ | 1-1 | #SMFCvMFC
    7 minutes added on

    89′ | 1-1 | #SMFCvMFC
    Red card, Scott McDonald is sent off for an elbow.

    86′ | 1-1 | #SMFCvMFC
    St Mirren sub, Thompson off for Arquin.

    83′ | 1-1 | #SMFCvMFC
    Goal, Naismith equalises his sliding shot looping over Long at the back post. 1-1

    80′ | 0-1 | #SMFCvMFC
    Sutton sends Kello thte wrong way to make it 1-0 to ‘Well!!

    80′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC

    Penalty to’ Well!

    73′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Sutton finds space in the box but on his left foot, can only drag it inches wide of the post.

    72′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Wow. Unbelievable stramash there! Goalie flying everywhere, open goals but St Mirren can’t finish! Stadium in shock.

    70′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Gow is replaced by Morgan.

    69′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Long stoppage in play here as Gow is stretchered off.

    68′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Motherwell sub, Johnson off for Sutton

    66′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    McManus booked for a heavy challenge on Gow

    64′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    St Mirren sub, Sadlier on for Wylde.

    60′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Chance for Pearson as he gets on the end of Johnson’s corner but can’t keep it down and fires well over the bar.

    58′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Motherwell sub, Ainsworth on for Grant

    58′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    2 great chances for McDonald! First his shot is parried away then his header is just past the post!

    56′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Lasley booked for a hard tackle on Gow.

    55′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Johnson swings in a ball to the head of Erwin, but under pressure, he heads wide of the post.

    53′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Dayton cuts in form the right on his left foot and fires in a powerful low shot. Saved by Long at his near post.

    45′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Second half is underway…..

    There’s a superb travelling support at St Mirren Park. #SMFCvMFC

    HT | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    St Mirren 0 – 0 Motherwell.

    40′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    O’Brien booked for a tackle on Gow which on first viewing seemed fair.

    35′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Deep St Mirren corner is nodded back to Kelly who blazes it well over from 12 yards.

    30′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Johnson squares the ball to Erwin 10 yards out but somehow Kello makes the block. Great chance!

    28′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    End to end now. Johnson gets into the box and gets a shot away but it’s straight at Kello.

    25′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    What a chance for Gow as he races though 1v1 but gets the finish all wrong and fires wide. A real let-off!

    23′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Another ‘Well corner…..headed clear by Thompson to Grant who volleys just over the bar. Decent effort!

    20′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Erwin hauled down about 20 yards out. Free-kick in a great area…..fired in low by McDonald but straight at Kello.

    14′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Motherwell press forward through Pearson but his final ball to Johnson runs out for a goal-kick. Sloppy start.

    6′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    Corner to Saints….whipped in by Dayton and met by Thompson but his header has no power to worry Long. Goal Kick.

    3′ | 0-0 | #SMFCvMFC
    O’Brien brings down Gow about 40 yards out. Mallan’s free-kick finds Kelly but he fails to hit the target. Good chance!

    Kick-off | #SMFCvMFC
    Pearson and Lasley get the game underway. COYW!!


    Motherwell manager Ian Baraclough:

    Coming soon

    St Mirren manager Gary Teale:

    Coming soon


    [poll id=”232″]

  • Archive

    TV: Hammell hoping for timely boost

    Stevie Hammell hopes he’s made it back in the nick of time to help ‘Well in their end-of-season scrap after fearing his season was finished.

    The legendary left-back, who has played over 500 times in Claret and Amber, has missed most of the season with relapses of a groin tear he picked up in Iceland back in July.

    That has restricted him to just seven domestic games during the whole campaign, and he has been forced to watch on as his teammates struggled in the SPFL Premiership.

    There were even points during his injury he feared his campaign over.

    “There were a couple of times when I thought I wouldn’t play again this season,” he admitted

    [pullquote]It’s really pleasing [to be back] and it’s great to get back playing because I really missed it this season. There’s still enough in the dressing room to stay in this league. Not being able to get out there and help the boys was really frustrating[/pullquote]

    “Especially the second time when I thought I’ll would just need to concentrate on getting fit for next season but the progression went really quickly from seeing the specialist, to doing gym based work and into training for a couple weeks, then under 20s games and then into first team games.

    “It’s really pleasing [to be back] and it’s great to get back playing because I really missed it this season. There’s still enough in the dressing room to stay in this league. Not being able to get out there and help the boys was really frustrating.”

    Speaking about tomorrow’s game against St Mirren, the former Scotland cap was in no mood to underplay the size of the match.

    “it’s a huge fortnight but we’ll take it one game at a time then see where we are at the end of it.

    “There isn’t anything we can do about other results. We’ll concentrate on trying to win what will be a tough game and with any luck, it will be all to play for come the following weekend.”

    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: Boss expects it tough in Paisley

    Ian Baraclough has told his side to expect one of the toughest matches of the campaign against St Mirren tomorrow.

    The Fir Park men need to win in Paisley or risk going into next weeks’ final match at home to Partick Thistle with only a narrow chance of escaping the Play-off place.

    People considered St Mirren post match games as a ‘gimmie’ following their difficult run of form prior to the league split.

    However, the manager does not see that and has spent the past week hammering home the message that this weekend will be the toughest of this long campaign given Saints have taken six points from their last three matches.

    Baraclough said: “St Mirren have very little to play for now apart from personal pride and contracts. It can free you up and we saw that last week at Ross County.

    “We have to be right at it from minute on and that has to be maintained right up until the final whistle.

    [pullquote]”We have drummed into them from day one this week that this is probably going to be the hardest game of the season. Make no mistake about that.”[/pullquote]

    Momentum is key at this time of the year and the Fir Park boss will hope last Friday’s win at home to Kilmarnock will give his side a further boost.

    He added: “If we were to win our last three games, and we’ve ticked off the first leg by beating Killie, then we are going to get close, but there is no guarantee that we will get over the line. All the focus has been on the next two games.

    “It does nag away when you are in the position and losing games. You do wonder where your next point is coming from and start worrying about what is going on elsewhere. It’s not a nice place to be.

    “Teams who perhaps thought they were safe all of a sudden have to energise their minds again. What was working for us and what isn’t now? They haven’t won for a couple of games now.

    “From our point of view, we will continue to battle on and see where it takes us. Some had already written us off, but we’re using that as motivation.”

    MFC TV