Latest News

  • Archive

    TV:Highlights from Livingston

  • Archive

    Livingston 0 – 2 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Celtic game live on BT Sport

  • Archive

    ‘Well to take on Sligo Rovers

  • Archive

    Kennedy is signing number seven

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Grangemouth

  • Archive

    TV: Baraclough demands more

  • Archive

    Motherwell 0 – 3 Bradford City

  • Archive

    Two new staff appointments

  • Archive

    Ladies sign striking legend Grant

  • Archive

    TV:Highlights from Livingston

    Extended highlights from the Energy Assets Arena as two second half goals give ‘Well a comfortable 0-2 win.

  • Archive

    Livingston 0 – 2 Motherwell

    Two second half goals helped ‘Well to a comfortable 0-2 win over Livingston at the Energy Assets Arena today.

    After a goalless first forty-five, Lionel Ainsworth opened the scoring before setting up Luke Watt who doubled the advantage shortly after.

    It was Motherwell’s first win of pre-season after draws with Borussia Mönchengladbach and Heerenveen and a defeat to Bradford.

    Both teams made a positive, attacking start with Scott Pittman firing over for the hosts and Wes Fletcher having a close-range effort deflected wide for a corner.

    Shortly after, Jordan White had a snap shot from the edge drop just wide of target before Lionel Ainsworth had an effort of his own sail a yard or so wide of target with Darren Jamieson at full stretch.

    Motherwell began to gain the upperhand and a nice one-two between Lasley and Ainsworth almost brought about the first goal but Fletcher was beaten to the ball as the hosts conceded a corner.

    ‘Well threatened again on the half hour when Pearson and Johnson combined down the left but the former’s fizzed ball across the six-yard box had no takers.

    As the interval approached, Livi had a couple of half chances when Myles Hippolyte fired a free-kick way wide of target and Ben Gordon got on the end of a corner but could only flight a header at Twardzik who comfortably plucked it out the air.

    The Steelmen, again in all black, made a positive start to the second half and Craig Moore fizzed a twenty-yard shot just wide after his initial free-kick had came back off the way.

    Livi’s only real chance of the second half fell to Hippolyte twelve minutes in but his close-range shot was superbly deflected over by the sliding Louis Laing, who had made up four or five yards to make the block.

    It was an important touch from the former Forest man as ‘Well countered the resulting corner to open the scoring. Twardzik started the attack, rolling it quickly to sub David Clarkson. He turned past Scott Pittman before releasing Ainsworth with a terrific ball over the top. The winger took two touches before lashing a low shot Jamieson off his left-foot.

    That goal gave the hosts confidence and they came close to doubling the advantage five minutes later. A stunning Stevie Hammell cross-field pass played Ainsworth in on the right flank. His low, tantalising cross was begging to be finished but it squirmed away from Clarkson and the chance was gone.

    However, it wasn’t long before ‘Well made it two and it was a nice little finish from youngster Luke Watt. The 18-year old combined with Ainsworth on the right flank before cutting inside his marker and firing low across Jamieson.

    It was almost three when substitute Louis Moult got on the end of a teasing Ainsworth cross but his looping header came back off the bar before being cleared.

    Just before the full-time whistle, another sub Chris Cadden almost got his name on the scoresheet but Jamieson saved his low, bouncing shot in what was the last action of the ninety.

    Motherwell: Twardzik (B.Long – 80mins), Hammell (Thomas – 75mins), Laing, Ainsworth, Pearson (J.Leitch – 55mins), Fletcher (Moult – 68mins), Johnson (Chalmers – 55mins), Lasley (Cadden – 75mins), Kennedy (McManus – 68mins), Moore (Clarkson – 55mins), Watt (Ferguson – 85mins)

  • Archive

    Celtic game live on BT Sport

    Motherwell’s first home match with Celtic on Saturday 17th October will be shown live on BT Sport.

    Although the day of the match will remain the same, the game will now kick-off at 12 noon as opposed to 3pm.

    It’s the only match been selected for live coverage in the opening round of matches, running up to 1st November.

  • Archive

    ‘Well to take on Sligo Rovers

    Motherwell FC can today announce the team will face SSE Airtricity League side Sligo Rovers at the Showgrounds this Tuesday night.

    Ian Baraclough will face his old side on their own patch as the Fir Parkers prepare for the forthcoming SPFL Premiership campaign.

    The team will travel to Ireland on Monday, returning on Wednesday with the fixture taking place on the Tuesday night (21st July) with kick-off set for 7.45pm.

    The match is the final game of the summer schedule to be confirmed, with the schedule currently looking like:

    Saturday 18th July 2015
    Livingston -v- Motherwell
    Energy Assets Arena, Livingston
    Kick-off: 1500

    Tuesday 21st July 2015
    Sligo Rovers -v- Motherwell
    The Showgrounds, Sligo
    Kick-off: 1945

    Friday 24th July 2015
    Motherwell -v- Preston North End
    Energy Assets Arena, Livingston
    Kick-off: 1900

    ‘Well have already taken on Borussia Monchengladbach, SC Heerenveen and Bradford City in what has been a competitive pre-season so far.

  • Archive

    Kennedy is signing number seven

    Motherwell FC is today pleased to confirm 21-year old defender Kieran Kennedy has joined the club on a two-year deal.

    Kennedy, a former England Youth International, is a former product of the Man City Youth Academy, having spent fourteen years coming through the system at the Etihad.

    Nigel Pearson took him to Leicester last summer, but he has found first-team opportunities limited as the Foxes managed to retain their Premiership status.

    Having been released, he spent time with the Steelmen at their Netherlands training base last week and impressed in games against both Borussia Mönchengladbach and Heerenveen.

    A centre-back to trade, but with the ability to also play at right-back, Kennedy has also proven effective for both City and Leicester in opposition boxes, notching numerous goals from set-pieces.

    [pullquote]I think have played enough football at Development Level and it’s time to make that step up. If I am training well and working hard, hopefully I get a chance but I know I’ll need to be patient.[/pullquote]

    He becomes Motherwell’s seventh signing of the summer and speaking to MFC TV, Kennedy said: “I’ve been here for over a week after being with the team over in the Netherlands and I’ve been really impressed with the facilities and the club itself.

    “I’ve had such a good time at both Manchester City and Leicester, both great clubs, but I’ve been lucky enough to get the move up to Scotland and I can’t wait to get started.

    “I think I have played enough football at Development Level and it’s time to make that step up. If I am training well and working hard, hopefully I get a chance but I know I’ll need to be patient.

    “I know Louis Laing having played with him for England and even in the short time I spent with Mick over in Netherland, it’s clear what good players we have but that’s up to me to work hard at it.”

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Grangemouth

    Extended highlights from the Grangemouth Stadium as Motherwell lose 3-0 to English League One side Bradford City.

  • Archive

    TV: Baraclough demands more

    ‘Well boss Ian Baraclough says his side still have a lot to do before the SPFL Premiership kick-off in just under three weeks time.

    The Fir Parkers lost 0-3 to Bradford this afternoon but several players, including McManus, Law and Moult; all played the full ninety minutes.

    However, with the big kick off against Inverness set for August 1st, Baraclough says he wants to see more from his squad.

    The ‘Well boss told MFC TV after today’s match: “We know we’ve still got a lot to do and a long way to go before the start of the new season.

    [pullquote]We’ve got three weeks to go and it’s our job to ensure we’re ready. The positive from today is it’s another game for the players and a good few of them have taken on the full ninety minutes.[/pullquote]

    “Just because we’ve been in games doesn’t mean our speed of though or fitness can’t be improved and it will.

    “We’ve got three weeks to go and it’s our job to ensure we’re ready. The positive from today is it’s another game for the players and a good few of them have taken on the full ninety minutes.

    “Yes, we’ve taken on difficult games against teams who will be, at times, better than us. We need to ensure we take something from every game and we learn and today will do just that, particularly the younger lads who came in.”

  • Archive

    Motherwell 0 – 3 Bradford City

    It was a clichéd game of two halves as ‘Well lost 0-3 to Bradford City at the Grangemouth Stadium today.

    After a keenly contested first half where the Steelmen played fairly well and hit the crossbar, the second half was all Bradford who built on their lead to add to further goals to complete the scoring.

    ‘Well started with Twardzik in goal with a back four of Law, McManus, Laing and Hammell. The midfield was made up of MacLean, Lasley, Pearson and Chalmers with Clarkson and Moult in attack.

    Motherwell made the brighter start and after Stephen Pearson almost burst through, Louis Moult fired the game’s first real chance high over the crossbar.

    The Steelmen, kitted in all black again, came closer minutes later when Stephen McManus met a near post Ross MacLean cross but could only watch as his flicked header came back off the cross bar.

    Bradford’s first chance on the midway point of the first-half and it fell to former Hibs, Inverness and St Johnstone man Filipe Morais, but after a decent move and cut-back, the Portugese forward fired over.

    However, it was the ‘Well who looked more likely and summer recruit from Wrexham came within an inch of getting his name on the scoresheet, meeting MacLean’s corner but his looping header was hooked off the line.

    Down the other end, the Bantam’s again had a shot from distance, this time Mark Fotheringham, but again it sailed high over Twardzik’s crossbar and onto the running track behind the goal.

    Then, with the half time whistle second away, Bradford took the lead and it’s a goal that will frustrate ‘Well boss Ian Baraclough. A hopeful ball into the area was well brought down by James. He turned and played in Leigh and his first touch not only took him away from the sliding McManus, but caused keeper Twardzik to slip.

    The left fullback had the easiest of tasks, sliding the ball into the unguarded net to give the Yorkshire side the lead pretty much against the run of play.

    As much as the first half was equal and a good contest, with the amount of changes on both sides, the English League One side dominated the second.

    However, the first real attempt of the half fell to ‘Well, when Moult cleverly lifted the ball over the Bradford defence for MacLean, but his side-foot volley spun a yard or so over the bar.

    That was about as good as it got though and Bradford extended their lead shortly after the hour when Alan Sheehan was afforded far too much time on the edge of the box from a set-piece and he picked his spot with a powerful left-footed strike.

    Seven minutes later it went from bad to worse when James Hanson lost his marker at the back post and was left with the simplest of headers to power past Twardzik.

    ‘Well had a host of youngsters on by this time, with the likes of Watt, Thomas, Leitch, Ferguson and Moore all playing their part.

    There was little else in the way of goalmouth action other than a Craig Moore shot from distance.

    Motherwell: Twardzik, Hammell (Thomas – 52mins), Laing (Kennedy – 61mins), McManus, Pearson (Ferguson – 74mins), Lasley (J. Leitch – 74mins), Chalmers (Watt – 69mins), Law, Clarkson (Moore – 61mins), Moult, MacLean (Ainsworth – 61mins)

    Subs Not Used: Long

  • Archive

    Two new staff appointments

    Motherwell FC is pleased to update supporters on two recent arrivals to the non-playing staff.

    Following the departure of former Head Groundsman Mikey Ellis, the Club appointed Paul Matthew (pictured above, right) has his replacement.

    Paul had an eleven years apprenticeship on golf courses, working at Windyhill (Glasgow) and Clydebank Golf Clubs between 1990 and 2001.

    He then joined Rangers FC as Deputy Head Groundsman at Murray Park and spent four years there before being promoted through to be Deputy Head Groundsman at Ibrox Park.

    He was six years (ten in total with Rangers) there before moving on to a similar role at Wolverhampton Wanderers where he spent three years.

    He returned to Scotland recently for family reasons, which coincided with the Club’s determination to recruit an experienced, talented Head Groundsman and Paul was the outstanding candidate for the position.

    The other new arrival is Keith Campbell (pictured above, left), who recently started his role as Head of Marketing and Commercial.

    Keith has over ten years commercial & marketing experience, having held positions in sponsorship & sales – including the Partnership manager of Rangers FC and as the recent Head of Partnerships at the Scottish Professional Football League (SPFL).

    He has also worked for Marketing and Advertising Agencies, as well as the recent 2014 Commonwealth Games.

    Keith’s remit is to enhance the club’s Marketing and Sales process, further increase the utilization of the Club’s assets on a non-matchday and enhance the matchday experience and supporter engagement process.

    Everyone at Motherwell FC would like to warmly welcomes both gentlemen to the team and wish them every success in their time at Fir Park.

  • Archive

    Ladies sign striking legend Grant

    Motherwell Ladies are today delighted to confirm the signing of the 104-times capped Scotland striker Suzanne Grant.

    The 31-year old is a legend in the Scottish Woman’s game, having enjoyed a hugely successful career including trophy-laden spells at Glasgow City, Hibs, Arsenal and Celtic.

    Suzanne played for Ross County and Inverness Caledonian Thistle during her youth career but it was with Glasgow City she first made her name, including a memorable Scottish Women’s Cup final hat trick in 2006 as City smashed Aberdeen 5-1 at McDiarmid Park.

    She joined Hibernian in 2006 and they won the SWPL in her first season, as well as picking up two Scottish Cups and a Premier League Cup in three successful years in the Scottish Capital.

    Grant left Hibs to join Arsenal Ladies in February 2009. She scored on her debut six days later, as a substitute in the Women’s Premier League Cup final.

    She also played in the FA Women’s Cup winning side and in May 2009 she scored the only goal of the game against Everton Ladies that clinched the Premier League title for Arsenal.

    Finding it difficult playing so far from home, Suzanne signed for Celtic Ladies in the 2009 close season and scored over 100 goals for Hoops wearing the number 99 shirt.

    During her time with Celtic, she enjoyed loan spells at Somerset side Keynsham Town Ladies.

    [pullquote]I am very happy to be at Motherwell FC, who are extremely ambitious, and I am looking forward to be back playing and hopefully help the club achieve its aim of progressing to the top league and winning trophies.[/pullquote]

    At the end of the Scottish season Grant returned to Keynsham Town, scoring in an FA Women’s Premier League Cup defeat to Reading and twice in an FA Women’s Cup victory over Gillingham before returning to Celtic, which was her last club before taking a short break from the game to start a family.

    During her senior career, she also amassed an astonishing amount of caps for Scotland, making her debut (and scoring a double) against Northern Ireland aged just sixteen.

    103 caps and a further 11 goals against the likes of the USA, Portugal, Russia, Netherlands, Bulgaria, Greece and others add the exclamation point to a superb career.

    However, Grant is far from finished with the game and wants to create more memories as a Motherwell forward. She told motherwellfc.co.uk: “I am very happy to be at Motherwell FC, who are extremely ambitious, and I am looking forward to be back playing and hopefully help the club achieve its aim of progressing to the top league and winning trophies.

    “I know and have played with a lot of girls that are currently at the club and it’s a strong squad with a lot of potential.

    “The set up Motherwell have for girls and women is one of the best that have seen and I am looking forward to be a part of it.”

    Ladies boss Graeme McArthur added: “I am delighted to be able to welcome Suzanne to Motherwell Football Club; this is a magnificent capture for us and we are extremely happy to have her here.

    “She is a player that has played at the highest level not only in Scotland but in England and has also achieved over 100 caps for her country.

    “Signing a player of Suzanne’s ability and reputation in the game is a huge coup for the club and will compliment the players that we have in the squad. We’ve had to beat off competition from some very big clubs both sides of the border, who have been at her to join.

    “It shows how we are developing and putting plans in place to move through the leagues and, hopefully, get to the top level of women’s football in Scotland.

    “I am sure she will have a successful time here, bolster our squad and I am looking forward to watching her and Pamela Liddell together in our attack now.”