Latest News

  • Archive

    Inverness defeat in pictures

  • Archive

    Motherwell 1 – 2 Inverness CT

  • Archive

    New Official Motherwell FC Tartan Scarf

  • Archive

    ‘Well Shop | 30% off all Macron playing and training kit

  • Archive

    McGhee previews Caley Cup clash

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Cappielow

  • Archive

    Craigan – Our youngsters worked hard

  • Archive

    Celtic U20s 4 – 0 Motherwell U20s

  • Archive

    McLean in charge of Caley Cup clash

  • Archive

    Fixtures rescheduled for television

  • Archive

    Inverness defeat in pictures

    Action images from today’s 1-2 defeat to Inverness Caley Thistle in the Scottish Cup at Fir Park.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix and Iain McFadyen.

    [svgallery name=”invernessct060216″]

  • Archive

    Motherwell 1 – 2 Inverness CT

    [tab:Match report]

     Phil McGhee Fir Park

    It was a case of third time unlucky for Motherwell as yet another last minute goal sent them controversially crashing out of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

    After falling behind to a Stephen McManus own goal just before half time, a second half equaliser from Scott McDonald had the teams settling for a replay in the Highlands.

    But in the final minute, ‘Well conceded a debatable goal when Morgaro Gomis was shoved to the ground before Jordan Roberts powered a drive high beyond Connor Ripley for a winner.

    Not unexpectedly with most of the play confined to a packed midfield goalmouth action was pretty limited in the first half.

    The first chance came Marvin Johnson’s way when he whipped in a cross from the left and when Josh Law returned the ball from the other side the winger’s goal-bounce volley towards goal clattered off Chris Cadden’s head.

    A Greg Tansey free kick, which bounced in front of the ‘keeper, gave Ripley a comfortable first save of the afternoon.

    The Fir Park ‘keeper looked less at ease in the 29th minute when Carl Tremarco’s innocuous header had the on-loan Boro man backing into his own net to touch the ball onto the cross bar.

    Up the other end, a lung-bursting run from his own box saw Chris Cadden split the visitor’s defence, but his promising through ball found McDonald flagged offside.

    The striker was better placed in the 39th minute as ‘Well came within inches of the opening goal. Johnson worked his way to the goal line before crossing to the front post where McDonald’s glancing header directed the ball off the crossbar.

    Typical of Motherwell’s recent luck, Inverness scored in their next attack. Josh Law could have cut out the cross field ball to Tremarco, but when the full back’s low cross into the six yard box was missed by Miles Storey, the ball cannoned of the luckless McManus and over his own goal line.

    The Steelmen ooked to make amends from the restart and McDonald’s 30 yard drive was fumbled by Owain Fon Williams, but there were no takers in claret and amber.

    One of many fine runs down the right from Cadden ended with an inviting cross into the six yard box but the unmarked Stephen Pearson missed when he should have at least tested the ‘keeper.

    With Caley content to defend their lead and counter on the break, the visitors had a couple of chances to kill the tie. A terrific block from Law and then a smart one handed save from Ripley twice denied Danny Williams a crucial second goal.

    As the fans made their frustrations’ apparent. Motherwell dragged themselves back into the game.

    In the 66th minute another break from Cadden on the right earned a free kick which Stevie Hammell floated into the box only for Johnson’s effort to be deflected for a corner.

    Hammell was again the provider this time with a rehearsed set piece finding the inrushing McManus whose powerful downward header towards goal was side footed home by McDonald to set up a tense ending.

    Sensing a winner was on the cards, McGhee sent on Loius Moult and Lionel Ainsworth in the final 10 minutes but it was ICT who produced the decisive winner in the last minute.

    With the announcement that there was three minutes of additional time, Roberts looked to push Gomis off the ball before driving forward and unleashing a tremendous 25 yard drive which sent the ball high into the net and cruelly end ‘Well’s cup hopes for another season.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Ally Reilly at Fir Park

    FT: Motherwell 1 – 2 Inverness CT

    90′ | 1-2
    Goal – Incredibly, Roberts fires ICT in front with a speculative effort from distance.

    89′ | 1-1
    ICT sub, Hughes on for Vigurs

    87′ | 1-1
    Motherwell sub, McDonald makes way for Ainsworth

    82′ | 1-1
    Motherwell sub, Lasley off for Moult

    MATCH ATTAX | Young ‘Well fans can vote now for their MOTM. Tweet #MatchAttaxMOTM with their name, age & choice now.

    76′ | 1-1
    Pearson booked for a challenge on Williams just inside the Motherwell half.

    69′ | 1-1
    ICT sub, Storey off for Polworth

    67′ | 1-1
    Corner is whipped in which McManus bulets goalwards. McDonald does the rest from 6 yards! 1-1


    66′ | 0-1
    Devine is booked for a challenge on Cadden.

    64′ | 0-1
    Ripley does superbly to get down low to save from Williams who had nicked in at the front post and looked like scoring.

    59′ | 0-1
    Storey is played through by Vigurs but Ripley does enough to put him off and gives time for McManus to get back and clear.

    56′ | 0-1
    ICT sub, Mbuyi-Mutombo off for Roberts

    55′ | 0-1
    Last ditch defending from Law as he slid in on Williams to block his shot and prevent what looked like a certain goal.

    54′ | 0-1
    Mbuyi-Mutombo booked for a high footed challenge on Lasley who won the header.

    51′ | 0-1
    Great football there sets free Cadden who puts in a superb ball which Pearson can’t quite get right and the chance is gone.

    49′ | 0-1
    Patient build up but very little options for McDonald who opts for a shot from distance.Fon Williams gathers at the second attempt

    Pearson and Lasley get the second 45 underway. COYW!!!

    HT: Motherwell 0 – 1 Inverness CT

    42′ | 0-1
    Cadden drives forward with the ball and with few other options takes on a shot from 25 yards. Tests Fon Williams, who saves.

    42′ | 0-1
    Johnson latches onto a loose ball, fires it low across goal but Devine gets it wide for a corner.

    39′ | 0-1
    Goal – Tremarco gets to the byline and fires it low across goal. Unsure of who got the final touch but its 1-0 to Caley.

    38′ | 0-0
    Off the bar!! Johnson whips in a sweet cross which McDonald gets his head on but the woodwork denies him the opener!

    35′ | 0-0
    Williams’ shot is deflected wide for a corner…..Motherwell counter through Cadden but lino deems McDonald to be offside. Chance!

    29′ | 0-0
    Tremarco with a looping header which is put onto the bar by Ripley, who then gets back to his feet and gathers the ball to safety

    23′ | 0-0
    A minutes applause goes around Fir Park in tribute of young Ben Miller who sadly passed away last week. R.I.P. Ben.

    17′ | 0-0
    First test of the afternoon for Ripley. Long range free-kick from Tansey but is a comfortable stop for the big man.

    12′ | 0-0
    Some decent attacking play so far. Johnson has a volley from a Law cross but it seems to cannon back off Cadden. Unlucky.

    8′ | 0-0
    Corner for ICT, swung in by Tansey, headed clear by Lasley at the front post.

    3′ | 0-0
    Johnson wins the first corner of the game…..set-piece worked short but ICT clear the delivery.

    Storey and Draper get the action underway..

    Out come the teams. Usual colours for both sides. COYW!!


    Motherwell manager Mark McGhee:

    Coming Soon…

    Inverness CT manager John Hughes:

    Coming Soon…


    [poll id=”263″]

  • Archive

    New Official Motherwell FC Tartan Scarf

    A limited number of brand new Official Motherwell FC tartan scarves are still available to buy.

    This premium lamb’s wool scarf is available to pre-order and can be collected from the Club in March when the orders will be delivered.

    The scarf is priced at £25 and available exclusively from the Club via www.motherwellbuyonline.co.uk

    Each scarf will be embroidered with a commemorative crest, that celebrates the 25th Anniversary of the Club’s famous Scottish Cup win in 1991 where Stevie Kirk scored with an extra-time bullet header to win 4-3 against Dundee United on the 18th  of May.

    We will be producing no more than 1991 scarfs so get your order in now!

    The Club will be announcing in due course a programme of activity celebrating this anniversary with events ranging from a golf day, trophy tour with the Scottish Cup, a re-run of the Cup Final here at the stadium culminating in a black-tie dinner towards the end of the season.

  • Archive

    ‘Well Shop | 30% off all Macron playing and training kit

    The ‘Well shop have a fantastic Scottish Cup match day offer, available online and instore but only for a limited period.

    From midnight on Thursday 4th February and running until midnight on Sunday 7th, you can receive a massive 30% off all Macron replica & training kit!

    This season’s strip and training gear is available online at www.motherwelldirect.co.uk or via the Club shop.

    The shop, located at the Cooper Stand, is open Friday 9.30am – 4pm and on match day, 9.30am until kick off then for 30mins after the game.

  • Archive

    McGhee previews Caley Cup clash

    ‘Well boss Mark McGhee looks ahead to Saturday’s William Hill Scottish Cup 5th Round against Inverness CT at Fir Park.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Cappielow

    Extended highlights from Cappielow as a young Motherwell U20s side lose 4-0 to Celtic in the Development League.

  • Archive

    Craigan – Our youngsters worked hard

    U20s boss Stephen Craigan couldn’t fault his young side’s effort despite going down to league leaders Celtic today.

    The Steelmen, without a single overage player in their ranks, came up against an undefeated Celtic who could call on the likes of former England International Carlton Cole and £12 million Man City loanee Patrick Roberts.

    And although the Fir Park teenagers went down 4-0, they battled and fought for the full ninety minutes in the Greenock rain.

    [pullquote]Despite the final score, we worked hard, stuck to our task and showed a lot of commitment and desire.[/pullquote]

    Stephen Craigan told MFC TV after the match: “Given the experience and quality in the Celtic side, and the run they’ve been on, we always knew it was going to be a difficult afternoon.

    “We spoke over the last few days about how to bridge that gap with commitment and keeping our shape and during the first half, it was good and worked well.

    “The second half was more difficult, with Celtic’s quality on the flanks. They have a player worth two or three times our entire club, and we have a fifteen year old who was at school this morning.

    “Despite the final score, we worked hard, stuck to our task and showed a lot of commitment and desire. They key for us is not being able to make enough good first passes and giving it away too easy after we got it back.

    “So there are aspects we can be happy and content with, other things we need to work harder on.”

  • Archive

    Celtic U20s 4 – 0 Motherwell U20s

    An inexperienced Motherwell Under 20s crashed to league-leaders Celtic at a wet and miserable Cappielow this afternoon.

    The young Steelmen, who didn’t field a single overage player and even had fifteen-year old James Scott on the pitch for forty-five minutes, took on the unbeaten Celtic who could call on the likes of former England striker Carlton Cole and £12-million pound Manchester City winger Patrick Roberts.

    With the rain lashing down, Regan Hendry fired the hosts in front after ten minutes, but a brave ‘Well more than held their own in a game played at a furious pace.

    However, with the youngster tiring after the third game in seven days, Celtic added another three after the break with Hendy grabbing another, a Jack McMillan own goal and a late strike from Roberts on his first appearance.

    It was a competitive opening to the game, with Motherwell content to make their mark with a couple of physical challenges. However, the hosts were soon in front and the on-loan City man was involved, cutting in from the left before teeing up Hendry who fired low into the bottom corner from 25-yards.

    To their credit, the Steelmen regrouped and started to put their foot on the ball. A well-worked corner allowed Luke Watt to fire a shot at goal, but Conor Hazard in the home goal was more than equal.

    Shortly after, a slack pass from Roberts almost had Ryan Watters in on goal, but he could only flight an effort narrowly over the bar.

    At the other end, Celtic again went close when a positive run and shot from McMullan had Brett Long scrambling, but thankfully it went inches over the bar.

    Motherwell’s best chance of the half came with nine minutes left to the interval. Robbie Leitch’s cross from the left pin-balled about the area before landing at the feet of Jake Hastie, but he could only drag a low shot just off target.

    Stephen Craigan’s side made a positive start to the second period and only a terrific save from Hazard denied Watt from distance, with Jamie McCart on hand to hook away the rebound with Ross MacLean waiting to pounce.

    It was to prove a vital stop as with their next attack, Celtic got a vital second, which all but secured the game.

    Hendry flicked the ball into the path of Roberts, but the recovering Jack McMillan managed to stop him in his tracks. Unluckily for ‘Well, the ball broke loose and as Barry Maguire slipped as he attempted block, allowing Hendry to lash it high into the net.

    Celtic soon added a third, Roberts exploiting space on the right flank before his low ball across the face was turned into his own net by the unfortunate McMillan, who was trying to knock it behind or a corner.

    The home side had their tails up and sub Mark Hill almost added another but was thwarted by Long, who saved his low shot well with his feet.

    Aidan McIlduff had the ball in the net but had it disallowed by an assistant’s flag. The same player went close again shortly after, but fired it over the bar.

    As the game looked to be heading for a conclusion, Celtic added a fourth with virtually the last kick of the match. Hendry and Roberts combined again, and after a neat back flick, the nineteen-year old winger curled a strike past Long and into the corner.

    Motherwell: Long, McMillan, Livingstone, Maguire, Watt, Campbell, Watters, R. Leitch (J.Moore – 89mins), Falconer (Scott – 46mins), Hastie (Turnbull – 68mins), MacLean

    Subs Not Used: Morrison, Leighton

  • Archive

    McLean in charge of Caley Cup clash

    The Referee for today’s William Hill Scottish Cup 5th Round match with Inverness CT at Fir Park will be Steven McLean.

    It will be Steven’s fourth Motherwell appointment of the season and his fourth visit to Fir Park. The first was back in late August when Louis Moult’s first half penalty gave the Steelmen narrow 1-0 victory over Kilmarnock.

    The second was another narrow victory, this time the 2-1 success against Partick Thistle when an own goal and a Scott McDonald header gave ‘Well all three points.

    Most recently was the 2-2 draw with Hearts in late November, when the Steelmen were twice pegged back to draw despite goals from Moult and Marvin Johnson.

    Now one of Scotland’s most recognisable whistlers, ‘Well fans will be familiar with the 34-year old, particularly as he handled four matches last term.

    The first was the 0-2 home defeat to Inverness in mid August when goals from Greg Tansey and Aaron Doran spoiled Henrik Ojamaa’s return to the club.

    The second fixture was a win at Ross County a month or so later, John Sutton and Iain Vigurs both hitting spectacular goals that day.

    The third was ‘Well’s 1-0 win over Dundee Utd back in November, where Iain Vigurs’ second half strike gave the Kenny Black led Motherwell all three points.

    The final match was the league closer at home to Partick Thistle, an uneventful affair that ended in 0-0 stalemate the week before the Steelmen would do battle with Rangers in the Premiership Play-offs.

    His overall record in charge of Motherwell reads fifteen wins, six defeats and four draws from twenty-five matches.

    In those games, ‘Well have scored 49 and conceded 39. 69 cautions have been dished out, 41 flashed at those wearing Claret and Amber.

    Four players have been sent off, two for ‘Well (Fraser Kerr and Keith Lasley in the same match against Killie in February 2013).

    McLean will be ably assisted by Davis McGeachie and Kyle McMullan, with Andrew Dallas on fourth official duties. Iain Brines will be the referee observer.

  • Archive

    Fixtures rescheduled for television

    Fans should note forthcoming fixture amendments in March and April.

    The match with Dundee Utd, originally scheduled for Saturday 12th March has been switched to Friday night, 11th March (7.45pm KO). This match will be live on BT Sport

    Motherwell’s game with Celtic,  scheduled for Saturday 9th April has been switched to lunch-time kick off on the same day (12.30pm KO), and will be live on Sky Sports.

    >> Updated Fixture List