Latest News

  • Archive

    Highlights from Station Park

  • Archive

    Craigan – Delighted to progress

  • Archive

    St Johnstone U20s 0 – 1 Motherwell U20s

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Fir Park

  • Archive

    McGhee – Gutted at Cup exit

  • Archive

    Inverness defeat in pictures

  • Archive

    Motherwell 1 – 2 Inverness CT

  • Archive

    New Official Motherwell FC Tartan Scarf

  • Archive

    ‘Well Shop | 30% off all Macron playing and training kit

  • Archive

    McGhee previews Caley Cup clash

  • Archive

    Highlights from Station Park

    Extended highlights from Station Park as Ryan Watters’ 40th minute winner booked Motherwell’s place in the Youth Cup Semi Final.

  • Archive

    Craigan – Delighted to progress

    Stephen Craigan was pleased for his side after a fine 0-1 away win against St Johnstone booked their place in the Youth Cup Semis.

    In a tightly fought encounter, Ryan Watters’ 40th minute goal separated the sides at a sun-soaked Station Park.

    The Steelmen had to show their metal in the second period, with Saints throwing everything at it, but they held their nerve to secure a Semi Final showdown with Ross County.

    Stephen Craigan told MFC TV after the match: “Performance doesn’t really come into consideration when it comes to Cup football; it’s all about progressing.

    [pullquote]There were one or two hairy moments in the last ten or fifteen minutes, but over the piece, with the work-ethic, desire and determination of the kids, I thought we deserved it.[/pullquote]

    “Breaking it down, I thought we were good in the first half, particularly the second part of it. We dictated the ball and got up to top speed.

    “We probably had the one real piece of quality in the game, which was Dom Thomas for the goal.

    “Second half, St Johnstone were a little more direct which posed problems for us and we had to defend. There were one or two hairy moments in the last ten or fifteen minutes, but over the piece, with the work-ethic, desire and determination of the kids, I thought we deserved it.

    “It’s Ross County away in the next round, we will look forward to that and give everything we can to try and reach the Final.”

  • Archive

    St Johnstone U20s 0 – 1 Motherwell U20s

    Motherwell progressed to the Semi Final of the Little Big Shot Youth Cup with a fine 0-1 win away to St Johnstone.

    The Steelmen, who had already eliminated Partick Thistle, Stenhousemuir and Kilmarnock in the previous rounds, won it with a single goal five minutes before the interval; Ryan Watters poking home a Dom Thomas cross.

    The second half belonged to Saints, who currently sit joint fourth in the SPFL Development League, but despite a lot of the ball and plenty of crosses into the area, they rarely troubled Brett Long in the visitor’s goal.

    The win means Stephen Craigan’s side face a journey north to take on Ross County in the Semi Final, the winner of that taking their spot at the showpiece final at Hampden Park.

    Former ‘Well skipper Craigan had a selection headache before the match with three of his most influential players missing. Ben Hall and Chris Cadden are now with the first-team squad and Allan Campbell, enjoying a terrific campaign in centre midfield, was suspended.

    However, the Fir Parkers were able to call on the likes of Dom Thomas and on-loan Airdrie duo David Ferguson and Dylan Mackin.

    The Lanarkshire side made a positive start, with Robbie Leitch posting early intentions with a low shot well held by Jordan Millar.

    Then, six minutes later, Luke Watt stung the palms of the on-loan Montrose stopper with a free kick from distance that forced the keeper to palm away.

    Saints eventually settled into things and had their first attempt after fourteen minutes, left-back Greg Page curling a free kick that forced Long to save.

    Both teams had half chances as the half wore on; Kyle Lander flicked a header wide of target at one end, before David Turnbull’s shot from the edge of the area had to be deflected out for a corner.

    Motherwell were gaining the upper hand as the match approached the break and almost took the lead after 37 minutes.

    Leitch was sent scampering away, but with defenders breathing down his neck, he squared it for the supporting Dom Thomas. The winger lashed a shot, which was palmed out by Millar only for the Motherwell man to smash the rebound off the crossbar.

    ‘Well were proving more and more of a threat and with their next attack just three minutes later, they got their noses in front.

    The goal was the creation of Thomas, who did superbly well to somehow wriggle clear from two defenders in the corner, skip past a third in the area before firing it low across goal for Ryan Watters who nipped between two defenders to prod home.

    Just before the interval, ‘Well almost doubled their lead. Thomas was again involved, this time cutting in and shooting towards goal. On route, Dylan Mackin managed to flick it on, but sent his header spinning over the crossbar.

    The second half was controlled by the home side, who tried hard to get back into the match.

    They started with a long-range effort from Jason Kerr that bounced harmlessly through to Long. Motherwell’s reply, their only real effort of the second half, was a long-range hit from Ross MacLean, but it was easily held by Millar.

    Most of the action was going at the Motherwell goal.

    Lander turned Eoghan McCawl’s cross towards goal, but it was straight at Long who saved. Then, seven minutes later, Connor McLaren had an acrobatic effort from the edge of the box that again bounced harmlessly back to the Fir Park keeper.

    Saints had a couple more half chancesin the closing stages, Hunter shot over and Greg Hurst hit the side net, but they weren’t able to get level, allowing ‘Well to progress.

    Motherwell: Long, Ferguson, McMillan, Maguire, Watt, Turnbull, Watters (Hastie – 63mins), MacLean, Mackin, Thomas, R.Leitch (Livingstone – 90mins)

    Subs Not Used: Morrison, Falconer, Moore

    Goals: Watters
    Booked: Maguire

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Fir Park

    Extended highlights from Fir Park as Jordan Roberts scores in the last minute to give ICT a 2-1 win over Motherwell in the Scottish Cup.

  • Archive

    McGhee – Gutted at Cup exit

    ‘Well boss Mark McGhee was left gutted after another late goal saw his side crash out the Scottish Cup.

    Inverness scored late in the first-half, Carl Tremarco’s low cross deflected Stephen McManus as it ricocheted into the net.

    Motherwell battled hard and got them back into the game, Scott McDonald tucking home after McManus’ bulleted header from a Hammell corner.

    It looked as if it was heading for a replay but Jordan Roberts’ last-minute thunderbolt gave John Hughes’ men the victory.

    “We set out to do what we done, we did it well at times,” McGhee said. “They are a difficult team to play against. Tactically I always feel Inverness and Celtic are the most difficult teams to play against because they play a different shape.

    “You’ve got to take care of that third midfielder with them or they will batter you.

    “We would have been out-passed, we would never have got the ball, we would have undermined our confidence, the crowd would have been on top of us from the beginning.

    “We were disappointed to lose the first goal as we did, but we played our way back into it, we got the goal and I was quite satisfied to go up the road and take them on again.

    “Then Gomis is barged in the back, he goes to ground and the boy runs through and scores. We are gutted. The referee is five yards away.”

  • Archive

    Inverness defeat in pictures

    Action images from today’s 1-2 defeat to Inverness Caley Thistle in the Scottish Cup at Fir Park.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix and Iain McFadyen.

    [svgallery name=”invernessct060216″]

  • Archive

    Motherwell 1 – 2 Inverness CT

    [tab:Match report]

     Phil McGhee Fir Park

    It was a case of third time unlucky for Motherwell as yet another last minute goal sent them controversially crashing out of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

    After falling behind to a Stephen McManus own goal just before half time, a second half equaliser from Scott McDonald had the teams settling for a replay in the Highlands.

    But in the final minute, ‘Well conceded a debatable goal when Morgaro Gomis was shoved to the ground before Jordan Roberts powered a drive high beyond Connor Ripley for a winner.

    Not unexpectedly with most of the play confined to a packed midfield goalmouth action was pretty limited in the first half.

    The first chance came Marvin Johnson’s way when he whipped in a cross from the left and when Josh Law returned the ball from the other side the winger’s goal-bounce volley towards goal clattered off Chris Cadden’s head.

    A Greg Tansey free kick, which bounced in front of the ‘keeper, gave Ripley a comfortable first save of the afternoon.

    The Fir Park ‘keeper looked less at ease in the 29th minute when Carl Tremarco’s innocuous header had the on-loan Boro man backing into his own net to touch the ball onto the cross bar.

    Up the other end, a lung-bursting run from his own box saw Chris Cadden split the visitor’s defence, but his promising through ball found McDonald flagged offside.

    The striker was better placed in the 39th minute as ‘Well came within inches of the opening goal. Johnson worked his way to the goal line before crossing to the front post where McDonald’s glancing header directed the ball off the crossbar.

    Typical of Motherwell’s recent luck, Inverness scored in their next attack. Josh Law could have cut out the cross field ball to Tremarco, but when the full back’s low cross into the six yard box was missed by Miles Storey, the ball cannoned of the luckless McManus and over his own goal line.

    The Steelmen ooked to make amends from the restart and McDonald’s 30 yard drive was fumbled by Owain Fon Williams, but there were no takers in claret and amber.

    One of many fine runs down the right from Cadden ended with an inviting cross into the six yard box but the unmarked Stephen Pearson missed when he should have at least tested the ‘keeper.

    With Caley content to defend their lead and counter on the break, the visitors had a couple of chances to kill the tie. A terrific block from Law and then a smart one handed save from Ripley twice denied Danny Williams a crucial second goal.

    As the fans made their frustrations’ apparent. Motherwell dragged themselves back into the game.

    In the 66th minute another break from Cadden on the right earned a free kick which Stevie Hammell floated into the box only for Johnson’s effort to be deflected for a corner.

    Hammell was again the provider this time with a rehearsed set piece finding the inrushing McManus whose powerful downward header towards goal was side footed home by McDonald to set up a tense ending.

    Sensing a winner was on the cards, McGhee sent on Loius Moult and Lionel Ainsworth in the final 10 minutes but it was ICT who produced the decisive winner in the last minute.

    With the announcement that there was three minutes of additional time, Roberts looked to push Gomis off the ball before driving forward and unleashing a tremendous 25 yard drive which sent the ball high into the net and cruelly end ‘Well’s cup hopes for another season.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Ally Reilly at Fir Park

    FT: Motherwell 1 – 2 Inverness CT

    90′ | 1-2
    Goal – Incredibly, Roberts fires ICT in front with a speculative effort from distance.

    89′ | 1-1
    ICT sub, Hughes on for Vigurs

    87′ | 1-1
    Motherwell sub, McDonald makes way for Ainsworth

    82′ | 1-1
    Motherwell sub, Lasley off for Moult

    MATCH ATTAX | Young ‘Well fans can vote now for their MOTM. Tweet #MatchAttaxMOTM with their name, age & choice now.

    76′ | 1-1
    Pearson booked for a challenge on Williams just inside the Motherwell half.

    69′ | 1-1
    ICT sub, Storey off for Polworth

    67′ | 1-1
    Corner is whipped in which McManus bulets goalwards. McDonald does the rest from 6 yards! 1-1


    66′ | 0-1
    Devine is booked for a challenge on Cadden.

    64′ | 0-1
    Ripley does superbly to get down low to save from Williams who had nicked in at the front post and looked like scoring.

    59′ | 0-1
    Storey is played through by Vigurs but Ripley does enough to put him off and gives time for McManus to get back and clear.

    56′ | 0-1
    ICT sub, Mbuyi-Mutombo off for Roberts

    55′ | 0-1
    Last ditch defending from Law as he slid in on Williams to block his shot and prevent what looked like a certain goal.

    54′ | 0-1
    Mbuyi-Mutombo booked for a high footed challenge on Lasley who won the header.

    51′ | 0-1
    Great football there sets free Cadden who puts in a superb ball which Pearson can’t quite get right and the chance is gone.

    49′ | 0-1
    Patient build up but very little options for McDonald who opts for a shot from distance.Fon Williams gathers at the second attempt

    Pearson and Lasley get the second 45 underway. COYW!!!

    HT: Motherwell 0 – 1 Inverness CT

    42′ | 0-1
    Cadden drives forward with the ball and with few other options takes on a shot from 25 yards. Tests Fon Williams, who saves.

    42′ | 0-1
    Johnson latches onto a loose ball, fires it low across goal but Devine gets it wide for a corner.

    39′ | 0-1
    Goal – Tremarco gets to the byline and fires it low across goal. Unsure of who got the final touch but its 1-0 to Caley.

    38′ | 0-0
    Off the bar!! Johnson whips in a sweet cross which McDonald gets his head on but the woodwork denies him the opener!

    35′ | 0-0
    Williams’ shot is deflected wide for a corner…..Motherwell counter through Cadden but lino deems McDonald to be offside. Chance!

    29′ | 0-0
    Tremarco with a looping header which is put onto the bar by Ripley, who then gets back to his feet and gathers the ball to safety

    23′ | 0-0
    A minutes applause goes around Fir Park in tribute of young Ben Miller who sadly passed away last week. R.I.P. Ben.

    17′ | 0-0
    First test of the afternoon for Ripley. Long range free-kick from Tansey but is a comfortable stop for the big man.

    12′ | 0-0
    Some decent attacking play so far. Johnson has a volley from a Law cross but it seems to cannon back off Cadden. Unlucky.

    8′ | 0-0
    Corner for ICT, swung in by Tansey, headed clear by Lasley at the front post.

    3′ | 0-0
    Johnson wins the first corner of the game…..set-piece worked short but ICT clear the delivery.

    Storey and Draper get the action underway..

    Out come the teams. Usual colours for both sides. COYW!!


    Motherwell manager Mark McGhee:

    Coming Soon…

    Inverness CT manager John Hughes:

    Coming Soon…


    [poll id=”263″]

  • Archive

    New Official Motherwell FC Tartan Scarf

    A limited number of brand new Official Motherwell FC tartan scarves are still available to buy.

    This premium lamb’s wool scarf is available to pre-order and can be collected from the Club in March when the orders will be delivered.

    The scarf is priced at £25 and available exclusively from the Club via www.motherwellbuyonline.co.uk

    Each scarf will be embroidered with a commemorative crest, that celebrates the 25th Anniversary of the Club’s famous Scottish Cup win in 1991 where Stevie Kirk scored with an extra-time bullet header to win 4-3 against Dundee United on the 18th  of May.

    We will be producing no more than 1991 scarfs so get your order in now!

    The Club will be announcing in due course a programme of activity celebrating this anniversary with events ranging from a golf day, trophy tour with the Scottish Cup, a re-run of the Cup Final here at the stadium culminating in a black-tie dinner towards the end of the season.

  • Archive

    ‘Well Shop | 30% off all Macron playing and training kit

    The ‘Well shop have a fantastic Scottish Cup match day offer, available online and instore but only for a limited period.

    From midnight on Thursday 4th February and running until midnight on Sunday 7th, you can receive a massive 30% off all Macron replica & training kit!

    This season’s strip and training gear is available online at www.motherwelldirect.co.uk or via the Club shop.

    The shop, located at the Cooper Stand, is open Friday 9.30am – 4pm and on match day, 9.30am until kick off then for 30mins after the game.

  • Archive

    McGhee previews Caley Cup clash

    ‘Well boss Mark McGhee looks ahead to Saturday’s William Hill Scottish Cup 5th Round against Inverness CT at Fir Park.