Latest News

  • Archive

    Youth Cup semi-final draw

  • Archive

    Motorpoint Player of the Month

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Firhill

  • Archive

    Craigan: Youngsters are full of heart

  • Archive

    Partick U20s 3 – 4 Motherwell U20s

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Ibrox

  • Archive

    U20s in Youth Cup action

  • Archive

    McGhee: I’m devastated

  • Archive

    Rangers defeat in pictures

  • Archive

    Rangers 2 – 1 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Youth Cup semi-final draw

    Motherwell U20s have been drawn against Hibernian or Celtic in the semi-final of the Scottish FA Youth Cup. 

    The youngsters defence of the trophy they lifted last season will have to overcome the challenge of either the Edinburgh or Glaswegian sides after Stephen Craigan’s youngsters progressed in dramatic fashion at Firhill yesterday.

    A late strike from Dylan Mackin overcame an early 2-0 deficit to win 4-3 in front of a number of travelling ‘Well fans.

    Hibs face Celtic in their postponed quarter final fixture, with the date of the clash to be confirmed.


  • Archive

    Motorpoint Player of the Month

    Louis Moult has won the Motorpoint Player of the Month award for December, decided by you, the fans.

    And now you have the chance to win something yourself – the opportunity to present Louis with his award!

    Before the next home league clash on January 28, you will get to meet Louis, go trackside ahead of kick-off against Rangers and present the striker with his prize in front of the fans.

    You will also be able to bring a friend to Fir Park because you’ll be awarded two complimentary tickets to watch the match.

    Marketing and Fan Engagement manager Ryan Murrant said: “So far, this has been a great hit among the fans, getting to meet the player himself, walking on the park ahead of kick off in front of a busy Fir Park crowd and of course winning tickets too.

    “Congratulations to Louis who has won back-to-back player of the month awards – it’s a terrific achievement.”

    He added: “You’ll be presenting the striker with his great award and we would like to thank our friends at Motorpoint for helping us get our fans more and more involved. It’s something for the lucky winners to look forward to!”

    To enter the competition, click here and follow two simple steps.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Firhill

    The best of the action from Firhill as the Under 20s come from behind to  secure a  3-4 win over Partick Thistle Under 20s.

  • Archive

    Craigan: Youngsters are full of heart

    U20s boss Stephen Craigan watched his side put in a spirited performance to battle back from an early setback to win 4-3 in the Scottish FA Youth Cup this afternoon.

    His side, who are now in the semi-final of the competition they won last season, were two down within nine minutes but a late winner from Mackin sealed a stunning comeback victory.

    Speaking to MFC TV, Craigan hailed the attitude of his players who he believes would run through brick walls for each other and for him too.

    He said: “It’s funny because I spoke to the players just before we left Fir Park and while we were having our pre-match meal and a chat, I said to them that they haven’t played a competitive game since we beat Aberdeen in the league in December so there would be questions asked today.

    “Physically, mentally, how could they cope? Can you go through periods of the game when you’re feeling tired and you’re mentally fatigued, can you raise yourself through that?”

    He added: “The opponent you’re playing against is going to ask you questions today, do you have the answers? And then can you go on and ask them questions?

    [pullquote]The one thing you learn about this group of players, and I said this to them after the game, is that no matter how many people fire questions at them or throw accusations at them – they always have an answer.[/pullquote]

    “I didn’t expect to be 2-0 down after six or seven minutes but that happens in football sometimes.”

    Speaking about the attitude of his players, to not only come back to lead at the break but to win the game late on, Craigan said: “The one thing you learn about this group of players, and I said this to them after the game, is that no matter how many people fire questions at them or throw accusations at them – they always have an answer.

    “They go through brick walls for you, they’re determined, they’re full of heart and they’re full of desire and that makes me proud to say that about them.”

    He added: “You can’t give them that, that’s something you have within, that’s something that makes you ask those questions – do I want to go that extra little bit? Do I want to be a football player on a tough day when the pitch is heavy and we’re two goals down?

    “At 3-3 do you have the bottle to really go for that winning goal? And they did.

    I wasn’t surprised they had it, but at times you question do they and they certainly answered that today.

    “It was a tough day, it was an emotional day for both managers, but I’m just delighted to be through.”

    [pullquote]Thistle move the ball well, Scott McKenzie has them playing terrific football and Nesbit up front is a real handful you can tell he’s played first team football. [/pullquote]

    Falling behind within just a few minutes was a blow but, as outlined by U20s assistant Keith Lasley, the fact it came early doors allowed the youngsters to kick on and respond.

    Craigan said: “It really doesn’t give them much of a chance. After the opening goal that they scored early on, which was a soft goal to concede, Keith said to me that the positive about it was that it was so early in the game, it gives you a chance to get back in to it.

    “But yet when we score the winning goal with three or four minutes to go, it’s difficult for them to raise themselves up again and psychologically you feel you get the better of them.

    “Over the piece, to come to an away fixture at a tough venue against a team who I would class as one of the best 20s teams in the league is pleasing.”

    He added: “Thistle move the ball well, Scott McKenzie has them playing terrific football and Nesbit up front is a real handful you can tell he’s played first team football.

    “So you have to cope with all of this, and we did.”

  • Archive

    Partick U20s 3 – 4 Motherwell U20s

    Motherwell U20s booked their spot in the Scottish FA Youth Cup semi-final with a dramatic 4-3 win against Partick Thistle this afternoon.

    Dylan Mackin’s 87th minute winner secured the all important victory as the youngsters got 2017 off to a winning start.

    And it was the forward who bagged the crucial first goal for the ‘Well after Partick found themselves two up after just ten minutes, before Davie Turnbull and Jake Hastie fired Craigan’s youngsters in to a 3-2 half time lead.

    Thistle equalised early in the second 45 but the U20s didn’t give up and kept their defence of the cup alive in stunning fashion and have scored 13 goals in their last two games.

    Stephen Craigan recalled Ross MacLean and Jack McMillan to his starting eleven following the duos impressive spells in the first team, while Jordan Pettigrew replaced PJ Morrison in goals for the young Steelmen.

    But it was Partick who started brightest and it was an unfortunate opening few minutes for Pettigrew, who spilled a cross only to see Callum Wilson arrive to tap in from a yard.

    And before ten minutes had passed, the hosts had two. A cross from the right flank was headed on goal from Kevin Nisbet and it flew past Pettigrew courtesy of a slight deflection and after a mixture of both and unlucky and poor start the Steelmen had given themselves a hugely uphill task at Firhill.

    However, in the 16th minute, Dylan Mackin rose well to head home Davie Turnbull’s pinpoint corner and raise the spirits for Craigan and his cup holding youngsters.

    That kicked the Fir Parkers in to life and they were unfortunate not to be level in the 20th minute when MacLean tried his luck from range and Conor Cullen produced a wonderful save to tip the deflected strike round his post.

    With just under ten minutes of the half remaining, Hastie gifted the Steelmen a terrific chance to draw level when he beat Thistle full-back McInally with ease and was dragged to the deck, forcing referee Ross Hardie to point to the spot.

    Turnbull, on fine form of late, was denied by keeper Conor Cullen and the hosts remained ahead.

    However, the youngster made amends when he got on the end of a loose ball after Cullen produced a fine save and levelled with just under five minutes left in the half.

    And, on the stroke of half time, the youngsters managed to drag themselves in to a half time lead when Hastie lashed high and hard in to the roof of the net.

    It was an action packed first half and the spectators were afforded the chance to take a breath as the half time whistle was blown.

    The second half got off to a slower start and the first action of the period was a substitution, when MacLean was forced to leave the field of play with an injury – he was replaced by Reece Rintoul.

    In the 57th minute, Thistle drew level and it was a scrappy build up completed by a neat finish. ‘Well failed to clear and Nisbet bagged his second of the match with a guided, low in near the base of the post.

    After an hour, it looked like Motherwell may get back in front though if it wasn’t for some alert defending from full-back Ross Fleming, who steered Hastie’s cutback clear of the danger.

    In a fairly quiet second period, perhaps the best chance of the second 45 fell for Allan Campbell with just over ten minutes remaining, but the midfielder had to stretch as he was faced up against the onrushing Thistle stopper. He didn’t get enough on it and Cullen gathered the ball.

    Thislte hadn’t really tested Pettigrew too much after the equalising goal until the 82nd minute when a good cross was headed on target by Nisbet but it was straight at Pettigrew who saved comfortably.

    Up the other end of the pitch and with just a couple of minutes left, Mackin tapped in the winning goal after Campbell’s terrific ball across goal.

    Making no mistake, the tall forward passed in to the open net to book the Steelmen’s place in the semi-final of the Scottish FA Youth Cup.


  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Ibrox

    Highlights from Ibrox as despite taking the lead, Motherwell exit the Scottish Cup at the hands of Rangers.

  • Archive

    U20s in Youth Cup action

    Motherwell U20s return to action in their first match of 2017 with a quarter-final clash with Partick Thistle in the Scottish FA Youth Cup.

    The match, taking place at Firhill Stadium, kicks off at 1pm and will be a big afternoon for the youngsters.

    Not only will Partick prove to be tough opposition, but the Steelmen will be hungry to keep their defence of the trophy they lifted last season alive and kicking.

    Stephen Craigan’s side will be keen to get back to action too, having not played competitive football since their 9-1 victory over Aberdeen a month ago.

    The young Steelmen have overcome Cumbernauld Colts and Greenock Morton so far in the competition.

    You can follow all the action live on twitter – @motherwellfc

  • Archive

    McGhee: I’m devastated

    Mark McGhee was left speechless after witnessing his side fall to a 2-1 defeat at Ibrox this afternoon in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup.

    Despite leading by a goal to nil with just five minutes left on the clock, two late goals from Kenny Miller secured progression for the hosts and left the Fir Park manager deflated.

    MFC TV spoke to McGhee at full time, and the boss didn’t hide his emotions as he revealed how truly deflated him and his side were.

    He said: “I’ve had something like 950 games as a manager and only twice before have I felt as badly as I feel now.

    [pullquote] I’m speechless, I’ve not spent a lot of time talking to the players in there because I’ve got nothing to say to them – I’m lost for words. I can’t believe what I saw in the last ten minutes of the game.[/pullquote]

    “Once, when I was manager at Millwall, we lost in the play-offs to Birmingham and once, as manager of Wolves, we lost to Crystal Palace for the same thing. This equals that feeling.”

    He added: “I’m speechless, I’ve not spent a lot of time talking to the players in there because I’ve got nothing to say to them – I’m lost for words.

    “I can’t believe what I saw in the last ten minutes of the game.”

    Conceding the second goal was tough for the manager to take, and he admitted it is something that he will ponder over.

    He said: “I can’t think about that right now all I can think about is the feeling I’ve got. I just keep reliving that second goal and I just can’t get that out of my head and I won’t for a long, long time regardless of what happens next week.

    [pullquote]I can’t describe to you how bad I feel and I’m sure the supporters are the same. It was there for us and we were the architects of our own downfall, again. It’s just hard, hard, hard to bear.[/pullquote]

    “There was an opportunity there today and the plan went well. We didn’t play nearly as well as I wanted us to in the first half in terms of possession, but we got away with it.

    “And then, the last ten minutes, well, what can I say?”

    Asked about how he will bounce back, the ‘Well boss said: “I’ll get back and I’ll find some sort of story for them to justify how we can beat Rangers next week, but for now I don’t have the answers.

    “I can’t describe to you how bad I feel and I’m sure the supporters are the same. It was there for us and we were the architects of our own downfall, again. It’s just hard, hard, hard to bear.”

  • Archive

    Rangers defeat in pictures

    Images from today’s 2-1 loss to Rangers in the William Hill Scottish Cup.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix

    [svgallery name=”rangers210117″]

  • Archive

    Rangers 2 – 1 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

    Motherwell’s hopes of an historic Scottish Cup win at Ibrox were wiped out when a Kenny Miller double in the last six minutes shattered ‘Well’s cup dreams after Louis Moult had headed them in front with just 16 minutes remaining.

    And having contained and frustrated Rangers for over 80 minutes, it was a hammer blow when Gers’ winning goal came as a result of a defensive lapse a minute from time.

    Until then Motherwell’s tactics, discipline and hard work had looked to earn them at least a replay from this all Premiership tie.

    Mark McGhee made four changes from the team’s last outing on Hogmanay. Stevie Hammell returned at full back with the injured trio of Keith Lasley, Chris Cadden and Joe Chalmers, coming back in to a five-man midfield. That left Louis Moult up front on his own with Scott McDonald on the bench.

    With ‘Well set up to be organised and tight, they were happy to concede possession to the Ibrox side. But with Rangers intent on weaving intricate passes across the middle of the park there was little threat on Craig Samson’s goal.

    In truth in the first half hour it amounted to a couple of floating headers from Miller, the first bouncing off the top of the bar and the second effort easily caught by the ‘Well ‘keeper.

    After 36 minutes, the subdued home fans were on their feet demanding a penalty when Michael O’Halloran, after jinking past a couple of challenges in the box, fell to the ground.

    A minute later the Fir Park men conjured up their best chance of a dull first half. Cadden was hauled back by Lee Wallace at the corner of the box and Hammell’s free kick was only cleared to Chalmers who drilled his shot low and hard but wide of goal.

    Having comfortably contained Rangers in the first half, ‘Well played further forward after the break and Wes Foderingham had to look lively to deal with a couple of efforts including a glancing header from Louis Moult.

    When Cadden earned another free kick at Wallace’s expense the Ger’s ‘keeper was forced into his first real save smothering Ben Heneghan’s header on his goal line as Lasley hovered waiting for a slip.

    With 62 minutes played and sensing that the tie was there to be won Scott McDonald, to a chorus of boos from the home fans, came on for Chalmers.

    And within three minutes the striker came close to silencing the Ibrox faithful when he dragged the ball across the penalty box before firing a left foot shot which Foderingham saved high to his left.

    As Motherwell gained possession and Rangers and their fans grew more frustrated, it felt like the visitors might nick the opening goal – and they duly did in the 74th minute. Lasley sent Cadden towards the corner flag before firing a cross into the box where Moult outmuscled Rob Kieran to bullet a superb header high into the corner of the net and put ‘Well ahead.

    As Rangers pushed for an equaliser, Samson brilliantly denied Martyn Waghorn as the striker rounded him inside the six yard box only for the ‘keeper to perfectly time his dive and intervention to push the ball away.

    The equaliser was only delayed a couple of minutes though, when Waghorn’s inswinging cross found Miller who guided his header beyond the stretching Samson.

    As the home crowd roared for a winner it almost came at the other end when a series of passes set up Carl McHugh and from 22 yards his fierce drive was brilliantly palmed away by Foderingham at full stretch.

    Moult then flashed a header across the face of goal as Motherwell looked to win the tie.

    In the most cruel fashion, though, the tie was lost at the other end in the 89th minute.

    Stephen McManus, as the last man, was short with a pass through the middle and when Miller was released the veteran striker calmly whipped the ball behind the helpless Samson to end Motherwell’s cup hopes for another season.


    [tab:As it happened]

     Alastair Reilly at Ibrox

    FT: Rangers 2 – 1 Motherwell #RFCvMFC

    90′ | 2-1
    Four minutes added on.
    89′ | 2-1
    Goal – Miller is played clean through and makes no mistake with the finish. 2-1 to Rangers.
    85′ | 1-1
    Chance!! McHugh forces a great save from Foderingham and McDonald can’t convert the rebound.

    85′ | 1-1
    Goal – Rangers equalise from a Miller diving header

    83′ | 0-1
    Superb save from Samson as he races off his line and clears at the feet of Miller who looked sure to score.

    81′ | 0-1
    Motherwell sub, Cadden off for McMillan

    78′ | 0-1
    McDonald booked for time wasting
    77′ | 0-1
    McDonald’s cross is deflected wide for a corner…..again Rangers deal with the delivery.
    75′ | 0-1
    The Steelmen take the lead!! Cadden curls the ball in to MOULT who powers his header home!!!

    72′ | 0-0
    Rangers make their final sub, Hyndman on for Holt.

    72′ | 0-0
    ‘Well win a corner but McHugh cant quite get on the end of Hammell’s delivery.

    71′ | 0-0
    Rangers sub, Waghorn on for O’Halloran

    70′ | 0-0
    Windass gets the break of the ball as he powers forward and from the edge of the box he fires wide of the post

    69′ | 0-0
    McKay cuts inside and fires a shot at goal. Thankfully it goes wide of the far post

    66′ | 0-0
    McDonald drifts in off the left and tries his luck with a curling left-footed shot which forces Foderingham into action

    63′ | 0-0
    Motherwell also make a change, McDonald on for Chalmers

    63′ | 0-0
    Rangers sub, Toral makes way for Windass
    60′ | 0-0
    Hammell and Chalmers combine down the left, the cross finds Lasley but as he tries to slide in Cadden, Wallace intercepts

    59′ | 0-0
    Chalmers booked for pulling back O’Halloran as he broke clear.

    Hammell whips the free-kick in which finds Clay but his knock down is gathered by Foderingham.

    57′ | 0-0
    Cadden dispossesses his man and wins a free-kick wide on the right.

    53′ | 0-0
    McKay gets around the outside of Tait but Heneghan covers well and concedes the corner.

    52′ | 0-0
    Tait curls in a ball to the head of Chalmers but he can’t get enough power in his header and it loops straight to Foderingham

    46′ | 0-0
    Close! Great ball in from the left by Chalmers but Moult can’t quite get on the end of it.

    46′ | 0-0
    Moult collects a loose ball but sees his effort from 20 yards sail well over the bar.

    Lasley gets the second 45 underway. COYW!!!!

    Both sides are back out, as we get ready for the second half.

    HT: Rangers 0 – 0 Motherwell #RFCvMFC

    39′ | 0-0
    It’s a great ball in from Hammell but its headed clear as far as Chalmers who drags his shot just wide of the post.

    38′ | 0-0
    Cadden wins a free-kick just outside the box on the right hand side,,,,

    37′ | 0-0
    O’Halloran goes down in the box after a Hammell tackle but ref waves it away. Hard to tell on first look.

    From the free-kick, McKay drills it straight into the wall.

    31′ | 0-0
    Miller goes down under a challenge from McHugh giving Rangers a dangerous free-kick about 25 yards from goal

    28′ | 0-0
    Hodson’s ball in is knocked out for a corner by Chalmers, then ‘Well deal with the delivery.

    …from the free-kick Miller heads goalwards and it clips the top of the bar on the way over.

    19′ | 0-0
    Hodson gets past Chalmers and the Motherwell man pulls him down. Free-kick wide on the right for Gers…

    14′ | 0-0
    Decent break there. Tait gets down the right, cuts in on his left and swings in a superb ball which Hill rises to head clear.

    12′ | 0-0
    McHugh brings down O’Halloran about 25 yards out…..Toral clips it in but the linesman’s flag goes up for offside

    6′ | 0-0
    Loose ball falls to Wallace on the edge of the box…he shoots but it’s deflected wide for a corner.

    Rangers get the action underway. COYW!!

    Both sides emerge from the tunnel, ‘Well in their full white third kit, Rangers in their usual blue


    Motherwell manager Mark McGhee:


    Rangers manager Mark Warburton:



    [poll id=”306″]