Latest News

  • Archive

    Flashback: vs Morton

  • Archive

    Clancy in the middle for Ton clash

  • Archive

    Fresh 2017/18 matchday programme

  • Archive

    The Foreign Legion: Mitchell Van der Gaag

  • Archive

    Rangers tickets on sale

  • Archive

    Craig Clay leaves for Orient

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Hampden

  • Archive

    Queen’s Park win in pictures

  • Archive

    Robinson: Good start to the season

  • Archive

    Queen’s Park 1 – 5 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Flashback: vs Morton

    Ahead of Saturday’s Betfred Cup clash against Greenock Morton, we take a look back at the same meeting… 13-years ago. 

    Goals from Jim Paterson, Kevin McBride and David Clarkson saw the Steelmen overcome 10-man Morton in the second round of the CIS Insurance Cup back in August 2004.

    Paterson slotted home from Scott Leitch’s pass before the break and in the second period, Ton captain Derek Collins conceded a penalty, resulting in the skipper being given his marching orders.

    Clarkson was the recipient of the red card offence, and Kevin McBride stepped up to blast home the spot-kick.

    Clarkson, involved yet again, rounded goalkeeper Craig Coyle for the third – before Gordon Marshall saved a Peter Weatherson penalty.

    The comfortable win in the second round of the cup ensured there was no repeat of the disaster at Forfar, when the Fir Park side were dumped out on penalties the season prior.

    The hosts began the match promisingly when striker Weatherson fired across goal, and just a few minutes later his strike partner Alex Williams was also off target.

    The travelling ‘Well broke the deadlock three minutes before the break through Paterson, who was sent clear into the box by Leitch.

    The winger slotted home from a tight angle on the left after rounding the keeper, with Stewart Greacen’s attempt to block on the line not enough as the hosts fell a goal behind.

    The home side had a great chance to draw level when Williams headed a great chance wide from inside the six-yard box from a John Maisano corner.

    Williams was lively just moments later and combined with Weatherson in the Motherwell box again only for the latter to be denied by a superb block from Martyn Corrigan.

    McDonald almost converted O’Donnell’s free-kick to make it three when he directed a header on target that Coyle did well to tip over.

    The tie was all but over in the 68th minute, when last man Collins brought Clarkson down in the box and was shown a red card.

    McBride blasted the penalty high beyond the keeper before Clarkson made it 3-0 in the 75th minute.

    Richie Foran headed the ball on and the Scotland Under-21 international kept his composure to take the ball past Coyle and slot it in to the empty net.

    Morton were denied a consolation goal five minutes from time when Gordon Marshall saved Weatherson’s penalty to ensure the stopper left Cappielow with a clean sheet.

  • Archive

    Clancy in the middle for Ton clash

    Referee for Saturday’s Betfred Cup match against Greenock Morton at Fir Park is Kevin Clancy.

    The 33-year-old takes charge of the Steelmen’s first home match of the 2017/18 season after officiating on five occasions last term.

    Two of those included Lanarkshire Derbies – the goalless draw at Fir Park and the dramatic 1-0 victory towards the end of the season in which Louis Moult’s header secured three crucial points.

    His overall record in charge of Motherwell reads thirteen matches in total, Motherwell winning five, drawing three and losing five. ‘Well have scored sixteen and conceded nineteen.

    Kevin will be assisted by Joseph Lawson and David Dunne on Saturday afternoon.

  • Archive

    Fresh 2017/18 matchday programme

    ‘Well fans have the chance to express their love for their club in an exciting new way this season. 

    Every home matchday, one lucky supporter will have their name and their words printed on the vibrant new cover of Steelmen matchday magazine.

    As one of the country’s first fan owned clubs, this season’s programme reflects the power of the Fir Park faithful by including heartfelt words from a different supporter on every issue of ‘Steelmen’.

    And Marketing and Fan Engagement manager Ryan Murrant believes it is an exciting step forward for the programme.

    He said: “Lewis Irons has delivered a brilliant programme over the last 12 months and he is really keen to develop it further for our supporters.

    [pullquote]The idea of asking supporters to provide content for the cover each game is quite unique and we are immensely proud and pleased that we can engage in this way.[/pullquote]

    “As well as some exciting new player features, one other superb development is the introduction of six pages of junior content so we can now reach a younger audience.”

    He added: “The idea of asking supporters to provide content for the cover each game is quite unique and we are immensely proud and pleased that we can engage in this way.

    “We want to hear what Motherwell means to our supporters and this is another spin off or our #MadeInMotherwell project.”

    Programme editor Lewis Irons said: “We’re all excited to see the matchday programme take a slightly different approach for the coming season.

    “Following the transition in to fan ownership, the 2017/18 edition of ‘Steelmen’ has been designed to reflect one of the most important aspects of the football club – the fans.

    “Not only will we expand the junior section of the programme but we will be introducing more historic content too – to reach all of the unique readers we welcome here to Fir Park.”

  • Archive

    The Foreign Legion: Mitchell Van der Gaag

    Mitchell Van der Gaag’s ‘Well career was something of a slow burner but when the Steelmen’s need was at its greatest the Dutchman was at the top of his game and with one strike of the boot arguably justified every single penny of Motherwell’s £400,000 outlay. 

    Van Der Gaag was one of the last of Alex McLeish’s big money signings that came on the back of the £1.75m sale of Phil O’Donnell; but his capture in March 1995 largely flew under the radar being overshadowed at the time by the tragic passing of former ‘Well star Davie Cooper.

    Mitchell endured a torrid start to his time at Fir Park, suffering a season ending injury in just his second match for the club at home to Partick Thistle

    Things got a little better when the 1995’96 season kicked off and in the space of a fortnight Mitchell found himself involved in Motherwell’s hugely disappointing UEFA Cup loss to MyPa-47 and worse still was again struck down by an injury that would this time see him sit out the next six months.

    At last though, things began to go Mitch’s way.

    Fully recovered and available for selection once more, Van der Gaag’s return to the side in February 1996 coincided with Motherwell’s best spell of form all season.

    Going on a terrific run of six wins and a draw, where not a single goal was conceded, the defender was now fully proving his worth both in defence and in the opposition box.

    Mitchell opened the 1996’97 with a goal on the opening day of the season away to Dundee Utd and ‘Well began the season in decent shape. Motherwell’s form however became erratic, not helped by several injuries to key men, Van der Gaag amongst them, and the Steelmen found themselves looking set to face local rivals Airdrie in a nerve-jangling play-off as the season reached it’s climax.

    Somehow Motherwell regrouped and went undefeated in the final five fixtures which included a momentous 2-0 win over Champions elect Rangers at Ibrox in the penultimate game of the season.

    ‘Well went into the final fixture knowing they had to match Hibernian’s result against Raith Rovers to ensure safety. A healthy crowd lead to a delayed kick-off giving Motherwell the merest advantage over the Hibees in knowing what required to be done to stay up.

    In a tumultuous contest against Dunfermline that swung back and forth, it was Van der Gaag, in what would turn out to be his final game for Motherwell, who struck the decisive goal that would ensure survival for Alex McLeish’s men on goal difference.

    With ‘Well trailing 2-1 with less 15 minutes left Van der Gaag rocketed home from 30 yards after Mickey Weir had nudged his free-kick towards him sparking wild scenes around Fir Park.

    In the immediate aftermath there were suggestions of a new extended contract for the defender but the summer would see him return to the Netherlands to join Utrecht with ‘Well recouping all they spent a couple of years previously.

    What a way to go out!

    Mitchell would in time go into coaching and reportedly came close to returning to Motherwell as manager in 2015.

  • Archive

    Rangers tickets on sale

    Tickets for the opening game of the 2017/18 Ladbrokes Premiership campaign go on sale today.

    And with the Steelmen welcoming Rangers to Fir Park on Sunday, August 6, it makes for an interesting league opener in Lanarkshire.

    So don’t miss the chance to get your tickets for the enticing clash.

    Motherwell V Rangers
    Sunday 6th August 2017
    Fir Park, Motherwell
    Available from the Fir Park Ticket office

    Home admission prices are as follows: 

    ADULT   £27 / £20* 
    CONCESSION    £18 £16*
    JUVENILE     £14 £10* 
    FAMILY (ADULT & JUVENILE)     £27 £27* 
    • *Prices valid for John Hunter Stand only
    • Concessions are listed as over 60 and students with a valid matriculation card
    • Fans who require ambulant or wheelchair access should contact Darren  on 07722 912666 or email darren@mfcdsa.com.


    Away admission prices are as follows: 

    ADULT   £27
    CONCESSION    £18 
    JUVENILE     £14
    RESTRICTED VIEW     £15 / £10** 
    • **Restricted view seats in the McEwan Fraser Legal stand are marked as £15 for adults and £10 for concessions and juveniles
    • Concessions are listed as over 60 and students with a valid matriculation card
    • Fans who require ambulant or wheelchair access should contact Darren  on 07722 912666 or email darren@mfcdsa.com.
  • Archive

    Craig Clay leaves for Orient

    Motherwell FC can confirm midfielder Craig Clay has left the club in order to join English National League side Leyton Orient.

    The 25-year old arrived at ‘Well from promoted Grimbsy Town last summer and featured 39 times last season, scoring once.

    The former England C International, who had spells with the likes of Chesterfield, York and Halifax, has fallen down the pecking order at Fir Park following the arrival of Gaël Bigirimana and Andy Rose and with the likes of Carl McHugh, Chris Cadden, Allan Campbell, Shea Gordon and Ross MacLean all fighting it out for that spot.

    He joins the O’s for the first season outside the Football League for 112 years as manager Steve Davis looks for an immediate return to League 2.

    [pullquote]Motherwell is a great club and I want to wish everyone there all the best of luck. I am now looking forward to my new challenge down in London, but I’ll also keep a close eye on things back at Fir Park.[/pullquote]

    ‘Well boss Stephen Robinson said: “Craig is a good lad, was popular around the club and gave everything whilst he was here.

    “However, I have a lot of competition for places in that area of the park, particularly around our young talent, and I wanted to open up that pathway. In turn, we will look to reinvest some of the budget into other areas of the team.”

    Clay himself said: “I really enjoyed my time up in Scotland and I want to thank all the people around the club for making me feel so welcome.

    “Motherwell is a great club and I want to wish everyone there all the best of luck. I am now looking forward to my new challenge down in London, but I’ll also keep a close eye on things back at Fir Park.”

    Everyone at Motherwell FC would like to thank Craig for his twelve months in Scotland and wish him every success in his future career.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Hampden

    Highlights from Hampden Park where Motherwell overcome Queen’s Park by five goals to one.
  • Archive

    Queen’s Park win in pictures

    Images from this afternoon’s 1-5 win over Queen’s Park in the Betfred Cup.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix

    [svgallery name=”queenspark150717″]

  • Archive

    Robinson: Good start to the season

    ‘Well boss Stephen Robinson was pleased to see his side open the 2017/18 campaign with a convincing win. 
    The Steelmen shrugged off a frustrating first half to storm to a 5-1 victory over Queen’s Park at Hampden in the Betfred Cup.
    And the Fir Park gaffer reflected on a good start to the new season.
    [pullquote]We corrected that at half time, we wanted people to run beyond the ball and we saw the difference in the second half.[/pullquote]
    He said: “It’s good to start the Betfred Cup with a convincing win. We had a lot of possession and dominated a lot of play.
    “We then scored an early goal which was great but then I think we got a little bit bored doing the simple things well.”
    He added: “We stopped getting the ball in to the wide areas quickly and stopped delivering balls in to the box.
    “We corrected that at half time, we wanted people to run beyond the ball and we saw the difference in the second half.”
  • Archive

    Queen’s Park 1 – 5 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

    Motherwell  overcame the challenge of Queen’s Park and opened their Betfred Cup account with a comfortable win.

    An early strike from Chris Cadden should have set them up for a easy afternoon but an equaliser from former Fir Park defender Adam Cummins left the sides level at the interval.

    However, ‘Well dominated the second half and a debut goal for Craig Tanner, a quick Ryan Bowman double and superb free kick from Louis Moult, gave Stephen Robinson the perfect start to his cup campaign.

    The ‘Well boss kicked off the new season with five of his summer signings making their competitive debut in claret and amber. From Trevor Carson in goal through defender Cedric Kipre, midfielder Gael Bigirimana to forwards Alex Fisher and Craig Tanner, the

    1,000 strong ‘Well fans at the Hampden looked on with a sense of anticipation.

    However, it was one of ‘Well’s home grown talents who opened their goal account after only eight minutes and settle them into the cup tie. Stevie Hammell’s cross into the box found Fisher who chested the ball down allowing Chris Cadden’s to lash it high past Willie Muir.

    Three minutes later Cadden almost repaid the layoff with a delivery across goal but with Fisher stretching to meet it his header sailed over the bar.

    With the Fir Park players enjoying the bulk of possession and Kipre in particular appearing extremely comfortable on the ball, there was little threat around Carson’s goal.

    Until the 23rd minute when the visitor’s defence was breached – by a former Steelman. Ryan Docherty’s long free kick into a packed box was headed towards goal forcing a terrific reflex save from Carson but as the ball drifted across goal, Cummins was quickest to force the ball over the line and make it 1-1.

    That knocked some of the composure from the visitor’s play and although Fisher was the target for a couple of inviting crosses the Steelmen couldn’t find a second in the opening half.

    Seven minutes from the break Tanner’s clever back-healer set up Richard Tait and although his inswinging cross curled beyond Fisher it forced a diving save from Muir.

    Still determined to build from the back, Motherwell had a bit more pace in their play and were a bit more lively around the Queen’s box from the start of the second half. And again it took them only eight minutes to find the net and regain the lead.

    Once again the build up started with Carson via Kipre and when Carl McHugh released Tait on the right the home defence was opened up. Tanner’s quick exchange with Bigirimana sent the former Reading man through on the ‘keeper, calmly sliding the ball past Muir to claim his first goal for the club.

    The impressive Bigirimana had a few more decisive touches before making way for Andy Rose on the hour mark.

    With Elliot Frear having the freedom on the left, the winger delivered a number of tempting crosses with no takers. After 67 minutes Ryan Bowman relieved Fisher of his striker’s role and he took only seven minutes to ad to his goal spree.

    A weighted pass from McHugh, who revelled in his midfield role after playing at the heart of the defence for the greater part of last season, picked out Bowman who calmly side stepped the ‘keeper before rolling the ball into the empty net.

    With the tie won the ‘Well fans were treated to the introduction of Louis Moult returning early from injury but before he got a touch Bowman grabbed his second collecting Kipre’s pass at the edge of the box before deftly lofting the ball over the advancing ‘keeper.

    An infringement in the six yard box from Tanner’s corner denied Moult a goal with a fabulous overhead kick.

    However, Moult was not to be denied a goal on his return and five minutes from time he curled a wonderfully measured free kick around the defensive wall and under the bar to make it 5-1.

    In the final minute, Carson rounded off a quiet second half with a fine save rising high to his left to palm Ewan MacPherson’s snap shot over his cross bar.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Alastair Reilly at Hampden Park

    FT: Queen’s Park 1 – 5 Motherwell

    85′ | 1-5
    Free-kick about 25 yards out which Moult steps up and curls a stunner into the top corner!!


    84′ | 1-4
    Queen’s sub, Green on for McVey

    82′ | 1-4
    Moult has the ball in the net with a spectacular overhead kick but the whistle had blown for a foul in the build-up

    77′ | 1-4
    Another good ball over the top and again it’s Bowman on hand to take a touch and lob it over Muir!!


    76′ | 1-3
    Motherwell sub, Moult comes on for Tait

    75′ | 1-3
    McHugh curls a beautiful ball over the top to Bowman whose first touch takes him past Muir and he sticks it into the empty net.


    73′ | 1-2
    Queen’s sub, MacPherson on for Orr

    67′ | 1-2
    Motherwell sub, Bowman on for Fisher

    61′ | 1-2
    Motherwell sub, Bigirimana off for Rose

    57′ | 1-2
    Queen’s Park sub, Ryan Dochery off for Duff.

    56′ | 1-2
    Deep ball in by Tait hangs up at the backpost area but Frear can only loop his header over the bar.

    53′ | 1-2
    Tait wins the ball on the edge of the box which lets Tanner play a lovely little one-two with Bigirimana and finish cooly!


    McHugh gets the second half underway, COYW!!!
    HT: Queen’s Park 1 – 1 Motherwell

    39′ | 1-1
    Acrobatic effort from Fisher but doesn’t quite get it right and it loops into Muir’s hands.

    38′ | 1-1
    Tait and Tanner combine down the right allowing the full-back space to cross but Muir deals with it comfortably.

    31′ | 1-1
    Tait cuts back on his left and hooks in a good ball towards Fisher but McVey nods it out for a corner.

    23′ | 1-1
    Goal – Cummins brings Queen’s level. Free-kick swung in and is superbly tipped onto the bar by Carson but Cummins nets the rebound

    11′ | 0-1
    Cadden with a fine ball in to Fisher but the striker heads over from 9 yards out!

    9′ | 0-1
    Hammell clips in a free-kick to the chest of Fisher who lays it off superbly to Cadden who slots it home!


    Orr gets the game underway. COYW!!!!

    Claret and amber for The Steelmen, dark blue and grey for The Spiders

    Out come both sides as they prepare to get their cup campaign underway at the National Stadium.


    Motherwell caretaker manager Stephen Robinson:


    Queen’s Park manager Gus MacPherson



    [poll id=”324″]