Latest News

  • Archive

    Aitken in charge of Jags clash

  • Archive

    Campbell & Cadden get Scotland call

  • Archive

    Craigan: Slight backwards step

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Ochilview

  • Archive

    Hearts U20s 4 – 2 ‘Well U20s

  • Archive

    Betfred Cup: Semi Final prices

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Fir Park

  • Archive

    Robinson: Shown signs of progression

  • Archive

    Aberdeen loss in pictures

  • Archive

    Motherwell 0 – 1 Aberdeen

  • Archive

    Aitken in charge of Jags clash

    Referee for Saturday’s Ladbrokes Premiership match against Partick Thistle at Fir Park is Greg Aitken.

    Greg is handling just his fourth Motherwell FC match in league football.

    It’s his fifth in all competitions though, as he was the man in the middle for the painfully disappointing Cup exit at Cappielow back in late September 2015.

    That match turned out to be Ian Baraclough’s last as ‘Well boss as the Steelmen crashed out 3-2 after extra time.

    But from one managers last game, Greg turned the tables and took charge of a manager’s first match in charge after the appointment of Stephen Robinson at the end of last season.

    Greg will be assisted by Jordan Stokoe and Gavin Harris. Alan Muir is the fourth official.

  • Archive

    Campbell & Cadden get Scotland call

    Midfielders Allan Campbell and Chris Cadden have been included in the Scotland U21 squad for the forthcoming matches against England and Latvia.

    Cadden has been a regular in Scott Gemmell’s group for the last year, being capped on three separate occasions against Ukraine, Slovakia and the Netherlands.

    Campbell was on standby for that game against the Dutch last month, but his sparkling, standout performances in the Motherwell first-team have been rewarded with an inclusion in the squad.

    The Scots will be hoping to build on their winning start when they take on England at the Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough on Friday 6th October before travelling to Latvia and the Stadions Daugava, Liepaja on Tuesday 10th October.

    [pullquote]It sets a benchmark for this club and the young players here. If you’re good enough and if you’re ready, both physically and mentally, then you’ll get your rewards both domestically and at youth International level.”[/pullquote]

    ‘Well boss Stephen Robinson said: “I’m delighted for both players and their inclusion is very much deserved.

    “It sets a benchmark for this club and the young players here. If you’re good enough and if you’re ready, both physically and mentally, then you’ll get your rewards both domestically and at youth International level.”

    Academy Director Scott Leitch added: “We’re all tremendously proud that another two Academy graduates have been named in the squad. In actual fact, with Dom Thomas [now at Kilmarnock] also named, it’s three from our Academy who have been included, which is a great boost for everyone at the Braidhurst Campus.

    “We’ve had Cole Starrs, Reece McAlear, Adam Kettings, Robbie Hemfrey and Jamie Semple also regularly playing for Scotland at different levels. We’ll continue to work hard every day to try and produce more who are good enough to play there and, ultimately, for our first-team.”

    Scotland Under-21 squad


    Ryan Fulton (Hamilton)
    Ross Doohan (Celtic)
    Jack Ruddy (Wolverhampton Wanderers)


    Jason Kerr (St Johnstone)
    Ross McCrorie (Rangers)
    Scott McKenna (Aberdeen)
    Calvin Miller (Celtic)
    Liam Smith (Hearts)
    John Souttar (Hearts)
    Greg Taylor (Kilmarnock)
    Ryan Williamson (Dunfermline)


    Theo Archibald (Brentford)
    Chris Cadden (Motherwell)
    Allan Campbell (Motherwell)
    Greg Docherty (Hamilton)
    Michael Johnston (Celtic)
    Stephen Mallan (Barnsley)
    Lewis Morgan (St Mirren)
    Dominic Thomas (Kilmarnock)


    Oliver Burke (West Brom)
    Ryan Hardie (Rangers)
    Oliver McBurnie (Swansea)
    Scott Wright (Aberdeen)

  • Archive

    Craigan: Slight backwards step

    Under-20s boss Stephen Craigan admitted that his side took a backwards step following their impressive start to the season. 

    A 4-2 loss in Stenhousemuir at the hands of Hearts inflicted a first defeat on the Fir Park youngsters this term.

    And at full time, Craigan reflected on a disappointing night in the Development League.

    [pullquote]Tonight was a little backwards step for a few of them, I thought some of them looked as though they lacked a bit of energy and Hearts, as the game went on, had a bit more appetite for the game.[/pullquote]

    Speaking to MFC TV, he said: “I haven’t had to have words with the boys very often this season and I’m always fully aware that they’re young men trying to make their way in the game.

    “A lot of them put themselves on a bit of a pedestal by how they started the season and how they’ve played and with how much interest the manager was taking in them.”

    He added: “Tonight was a little backwards step for a few of them, I thought some of them looked as though they lacked a bit of energy and Hearts, as the game went on, had a bit more appetite for the game.”

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Ochilview

    Extended highlights from Ochilview where the Under 20s lost 4-2 despite taking an early lead.

  • Archive

    Hearts U20s 4 – 2 ‘Well U20s

    Motherwell under-20s suffered their first defeat in the Development League this season with a 4-2 defeat against Hearts.

    Dylan King’s opener and a goal from George Newell couldn’t maintain the youngsters unbeaten start, as a rather disjointed performance at Ochilview Park led to the hosts claiming all three points.

    Stephen Craigan named Elliott Frear, Deimantas Petravičius and Ross MacLean in his starting line up for the clash in Stenhousemuir, for the first competitive game in nearly two weeks for the youngsters.

    And, in truth, it showed, with a couple of ‘Well errors leading to goals for the Edinburgh side.

    However, despite the poor showing, things started positively after Dylan King sent Motherwell in front after just six minutes when he flicked in a terrific cross from MacLean.

    It was so nearly two when Liam Brown’s powerful strike was palmed by Kelby Mason towards his own goal, but he recovered in time to stop the ball from crossing the line.

    However, in the 15th minute, Hearts drew level when Euan Henderson rounded PJ Morrison, only to be denied by the hard-working, backtracking Kyle MacDonald, whose block fell kindly for the Jambo’s midfielder to slot home at the second attempt.

    Five minutes later, the home side took the lead, thanks largely to a defensive error. A whipped ball in should have been dealt with, but King mishit his clearance and it fell kindly for Lewis Moore who lashed the ball past Morrison.

    And after just 23 minutes of play, Craigan was forced to make an early change when Petravičius limped off to be replaced by James Scott.

    Midfielder Davie Turnbull could, and probably should, have equalised when a terrific cross found the youngster in space, but he couldn’t turn it past the keeper from close range.

    With ten minutes remaining in the first half, ‘Well drew level when Newell got on the end of Frear’s ball to finish beyond Mason.

    Craigan made his second change of the evening at half time when he replaced King with the returning Barry Maguire, who made his first appearance of the season following an injury lay-off.

    Just after the hour mark, ‘Well fell behind and it was again from another error.

    Full-back Jamie Brandon sent a dipping effort on goal but Morrison couldn’t hold it and spilled the ball right in to the path of Henderson, who tapped his second of the night in to the empty net.

    And with little over five minutes remaining in the match, the hosts doubled their advantage.

    A swift counter attack down the left led to Moore sending a deflected effort past Morrison to secure the three points and inflict defeat on the Steelmen for the first time this season.



  • Archive

    Betfred Cup: Semi Final prices

    The SPFL has today announced ticket prices for the forthcoming Betfred Cup Semi-Final against Rangers.

    The match will take place on Sunday 22nd October at Hampden Park, with kick-off at 2.30pm.

    Motherwell FC has been allocated over 10,000 seats with the option for more if required, with prices set at:

    East Stand

    Adults: £25
    Concessions*: £10

    Wheelchair User Adult: £10
    Wheelchair User Concession: £5

    South Stand

    Lower Section J1: £35
    Lower Section I: £30

    Wheelchair User Adult: £15
    Wheelchair User Concession: £5

    *Concessions are listed as Over 65s and Under 16s.

    The SPFL haven’t, as yet, been able to give the competing clubs a confirmed date as to when the tickets are likely to be available. When they do, the club will announce when the tickets will go on sale and any distribution arrangements.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Fir Park

    Extended highlights from Fir Park as Motherwell lose 0-1 to Aberdeen.

  • Archive

    Robinson: Shown signs of progression

    ‘Well boss Stephen Robinson believes his side have shown how far they’ve come after a close encounter with Aberdeen.

    Despite falling to a fortunate Andrew Considine goal, the Northern Irishman felt that defeat wasn’t justified following a scrappy encounter at Fir Park.

    Reflecting on the match at full time, Robinson insisted he was happy with large parts of the game against tough opposition, but attention now turns to bouncing straight back next weekend.

    [pullquote]We dominated large parts of the game and by the way they celebrated at full time maybe shows how far we’ve come.[/pullquote]

    “I think in the first half there wasn’t too much between the teams, the first 20-minutes they had the better of us then we got to grips with things and got our shape,” he said.

    “They set up to defend against us so we obviously caused them concerns the other night, but I think once we got to grips with things we were the better side.

    “We dominated large parts of the game and by the way they celebrated at full time maybe shows how far we’ve come.”

  • Archive

    Aberdeen loss in pictures

    Images from this afternoon’s game against Aberdeen at Fir Park.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix

    [svgallery name=”aberdeen240917″]

  • Archive

    Motherwell 0 – 1 Aberdeen

    [tab:Match report]

    Motherwell failed to make it a memorable double over Aberdeen as an Andy Considine goal ensured that his side took something back north from two visits to Fir Park. 

    The defender’s scrambled goal early in the second half was scarcely deserved but the Dons doggedly defended their lead deep into injury time as the Fir Parkers failed to produce the little spark that would have given them a share of the points the overall play merited.

    ‘Well made two changes from the midweek cup tie, Charles Dunne returning to the left side of a back three and Gael Bigirimana replacing the injured Andy Rose.

    It was a less frenetic opening and with Derek McInnes bringing in Kari Arnason and Scott McKenna to blunt the ‘Well front two, meaning there were little openings.

    The home goal had an early scare when Cédric Kipré carelessly conceded possession to Stevie May, but from wide on the left the striker drilled his shot narrowly beyond the far post.

    For a spell midway through the half, Trevor Carson’s goal was under pressure from a series of corners but there was nothing to threaten the ‘Well ‘keeper.

    At the other end, it took until the half hour for an attempt at the Aberdeen goal but from 25-yards Louis Moult powered his drive over Joe Lewis’ bar.

    From then until half-time, though, the play steadily mounted towards the Dons’ goal.

    Gael Bigirimana, who had a highly influential 90 minutes, drilled a corner low and hard across goal where it rebounded off Arnason forcing Lewis to smother the ball on his line and prevent an own goal.

    Carl McHugh then volleyed Bowman’s knockdown wide of goal before Peter Hartley collected Allan Campbell’s cross, only to steer his right foot shot the wrong side of the post.

    Motherwell started the second half in the same fashion and a sequence of passes along the Dons’ penalty area found Cadden, only for his powerful strike to be palmed behind by Lewis. Cadden’s corner found Hartley rising high in the penalty area but his header slipped just over the bar.

    While a ‘Well goal looked on the cards it was a surprise when it arrived at the other end after 56 minutes. Shay Logan’s cross found its way to Ryan Christie and although Carson got down well to palm his effort onto the post, Considine bundled the rebound over the line to put the visitors ahead.

    Stephen Robinson immediately sent on Elliott Frear and Alex Fisher, shortly followed by the introduction of Craig Tanner as ‘Well attempted to break down a Dons side determined to make up for their cup exit.

    Twelve minutes from time, Frear raced in behind the visitor’s defence but with Tanner arriving unmarked in front of goal he cut back behind his fellow sub.

    The Steelmen continued to chase a deserved equaliser and Carson’s superb save from Greg Stewart kept them in the game until added time when all of the action was contained to the Dons’ box.

    Firstly, Moult was flattened by two defenders on the penalty spot but referee Nick Walsh waved away strong appeals for a spot kick. A minute later he did award a free kick on the edge of the box but Moult’s effort deflected off the wall to carry the ball over the bar.

    From the corner, the ball fell between Moult and Hartley and it was the defender’s left foot which sent the ball high over the goal and end ‘Well’s claim for a point.


     Alastair Reilly at Fir Park

    FT: Motherwell 0 -1 Aberdeen

    90+4′ | 0-1
    Ball falls to Hartley inside the box but he volleys well over the bar

    90+2′ | 0-1
    Free-kick to Motherwlel wide on the right. A chance to deliver….but it’s headed away by Aberdeen

    Four minutes added on.

    90′ | 0-1
    Freekick to Motherwell 25 yards out….Moult’s shot is delfected over for a corner.

    88′ | 0-1
    Wild challenge on Bigirimana from Shinnie earns him a yellow

    85′ | 0-1
    Aberdeen sub, Christie off for Rooney

    83′ | 0-1
    Stewart gets s some space on the left and forces a great save from Carson!!

    79′ | 0-1
    Aberdeen sub, May off for Ball

    77′ | 0-1
    Frear breaks away down the left but his pull-back has no takers!

    70′ | 0-1
    Motherwell sub, McHugh off for Tanner

    50/50 | Today’s Half Time Draw winning numbers are: 176917 for £200, 176984 for £100 & 176132 for £50. Thanks to all who bought tickets.

    58′ | 0-1
    Double Motherwell change, Tait and Bowman off for Frear and Fisher

    56′ | 0-1
    Goal – Christie’s backheel comes off the post and falls to Considine who stabs home from close range

    55′ | 0-0
    Aberdeen sub, Tansey off for Stewart.

    53′ | 0-0
    Hartley heads goalwards but the ball loops over the bar from Considine’s head. Goal-kick given.

    53′ | 0-0
    Bigirimana feeds Cadden on the edge of the box but his powerful shot is beaten away by Lewis

    49′ | 0-0
    McHugh booked for a challenge on Christie about 25 yards from goal. Christie strikes the free-kick over the bar.

    ‘Well get the second 45 underway. COYW!!

    HT: Motherwell 0 – 0 AberdeenTranslate from German

    42′ | 0-0
    Hartley tries to curl one into the bottom corner with his weaker foot but it slides past the post.

    34′ | 0-0
    Close! Ball breaks to McHugh who volleys towards goal but it drifts wide of the post.

    32′ | 0-0
    Chance! Bigirimana fires in a low corner which comes off McLean and forces Lewis into a good save!

    31′ | 0-0
    Campbell wins the ball and sets up Moult who tries a shot from 25 yards. Well over the bar.

    29′ | 0-0
    Chance for Aberdeen as Arnason nods on a second ball but Considine then knocks heads it past the post.

    25′ | 0-0
    Succession of corners there for Aberdeen but the defence hold strong, with Carson punching clear from Considine

    20′ | 0-0
    Nice little passing spell there but as Moult clips the ball over the top, Considine heads clear under presssure from Bowman

    10′ | 0-0
    Cadden forces a corner….Bigirimana curls it in but it’s a routine gather for Lewis.

    8′ | 0-0
    May robs Kipre and from just inside the box, fires hard but wide of the post.

    5′ | 0-0
    May’s cross is put out for a corner by Hartley….deep ball in is laid off for Christie but he fires high and wide.

    Aberdeen get the game underway. COYW!!!


    Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson:


    Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes




    [poll id=”331″]