Latest News

  • Archive

    TV: Young looks ahead to Celtic

  • Archive

    Brines in charge of Dons clash

  • Archive

    Aberdeen Hospitality available now

  • Archive

    TV: Goals from Fir Park

  • Archive

    TV: McCall left angered

  • Archive

    Aberdeen defeat in pictures

  • Archive

    Motherwell 1 – 2 Aberdeen

  • Archive

    Free stickers with your programme

  • Archive

    TV: Hateley’s up for the Cup

  • Archive

    TV: Erwin double sinks Dunfermline

  • Archive

    TV: Young looks ahead to Celtic

    Under 19s boss Gordon Young insists his young side can go into tomorrow’s clash with Celtic full of confidence after some terrific recent form.

    The Steelmen are unbeaten since October and, since the turn of the year, have won five and drawn one of their six league matches.

    Celtic are chasing Hearts for the title with every match vital if they are to retain the Championship they won last season.

    The ingredients are there for an excellent game of football and Young is sure his side will relish the occasion.

    “The kids are flying just now but because the games are coming thick and fast, we’ve had to adjust our programme slightly,” he admitted.

    “But we’ll treat tomorrow as any other game but it certainly does provide a different test for our lads given the size and stature of the opponents.

    “It’s great for us though. We’ve only lost one goal, a penalty, in the last four matches; we’ve really managed to tighten up at the back after conceding silly goals earlier in the campaign.

    “It’s going to be a big test because some of the lads have been pulled out in preparation for first-team duties this coming weekend but we’ll go to Bathgate tomorrow full of confidence and aiming for a good performance.”


    Motherwell U19s vs Celtic U19s
    Tuesday 13th March 2012
    Creamery Park, Bathgate
    Kick-Off: 1pm

    Well Society - Join Now

  • Archive

    Brines in charge of Dons clash

    Referee for Saturday’s Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash with Aberdeen is the experienced Iain Brines.

    Iain will be handling his third Motherwell match of the campaign; he was in charge for the 1-0 win over St Mirren back in August when a last-minute Tom Hateley free-kick gave the Steelmen all three points and the 0-0 draw with Dundee United in November.

    He will be a familiar face to ‘Well fans over the years, none more so than last season where he handled six Motherwell matches, more than any other official.

    He was the man in the middle for the games against St Johnstone in early September, St Mirren at Fir Park one month later, Rangers on Boxing Day, Saturday’s opponents Dundee Utd at Tannadice in January, Inverness in the Highlands last March and the Scottish Cup Semi Final against St Johnstone.

    A Nick Blackman wonder strike and an own-goal from Kevin Rutkiewicz was enough to earn the Steelmen all three points in Perth and late goals from Tom Hateley and Jamie Murphy gave ‘Well a 3-1 against Danny Lennon’s men.

    Managerless ‘Well were thumped by Rangers despite John Sutton’s goal early in the second half. A Kenny Miller double along with goals from Vladmir Weiss and a Steven Saunders own goal gave Rangers a comfortable 4-1 win.

    United were comfortable 2-0 winners thanks to goals from Johnny Russell and David Goodwillie and Inverness ran out 3-0 winners courtesy of goals from Sutherland, Foran and MacDonald – arguable the worst performance of the season.

    Prior to that Saints game three months ago, his most recent appointment was that fantastic day at Hampden when Craigan, Murphy and Sutton booked ‘Well a spot in the Final.

    To his credit, Brines was excellent in all six matches with the games at McDiarmid Park and the Caledonian Stadium passing off without a single caution; a rarity in modern football.

    The 44-year-old, who has been a top-flight official for a decade and amongst FIFA’s elite group for five years, is having an excellent season and has handled SPL games at at all SPL grounds bar three this campaign.

    His overall record in charge of the Steelmen is a bit of a mix bag. Of the 31 games he has taken charge of, Motherwell have won eleven, draw five and lost fifteen.

    In those games, 107 players have seen yellow, 49 of which in claret and amber, while three have been sent for an early bath.

    Iain will be assisted by Billy Baxter and Graeme Leslie with Craig Charleston assigned as fourth official. Referee Observer is Brian Cassidy and SPL Delegate is George Douglas.

  • Archive

    Aberdeen Hospitality available now

    Motherwell will be after revenge when Aberdeen are back at Fir Park this Saturday in SPL action and you can watch the big match in style.

    Matchday host Stevie Kirk will meet and greet you at the door before showing you to your table.

    Expect a visit from first-team players and of course our photographer will be on hand to snap a lasting memory of your day.

    Catch some of Stevie’s pre-match banter and hear any team news first and don’t forget to visit our other resident Motherwell legend, Dougie Arnott, at the bar.

    Prices start from as little as £55 – For more information or to book your table, phone 01698 338008 or email commercial@motherwellfc.co.uk.

  • Archive

    TV: Goals from Fir Park

    Despite a late Nicky Law goal, Motherwell crashed out the Scottish Cup to Aberdeen in a controversial afternoon at Fir Park.


    Well Society - Join Now

  • Archive

    TV: McCall left angered

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall was left bemused and angered after a controversial afternoon ended with Motherwell crashing out of the Scottish Cup.

    The Steelmen could feel aggrieved at a number of calls throughout the afternoon, none more so than the manager been forced to sit the second half in the stand.

    “Everyone makes mistakes,” said McCall, “I thought Craig, once the ball came in, would make it right.

    “But as he (the referee) says, you can’t just make up fouls, but it happens week in, week out, you watch it on telly. I felt a sense of injustice, but I could tell it affected the players for 10 or 15 minutes.

    “I was told initially by the officials at half-time that I was going to be sent to the stand for swearing; I didn’t swear which they eventually agreed with.

    “They then said it was for calling them ‘embarrassing’.  I didn’t say that, I said, the decision was embarrassing which’s a completely different thing is. They agreed with that so I have absolutely no idea why I was forced to sit in the stand.

    “I’m hugely disappointed that they stopped me doing my job in the second half and I will absolutely fight any attempt to punish me further.”


    Well Society - Join Now

  • Archive

    Aberdeen defeat in pictures

    Pictures from the 2-1 defeat by Aberdeen in the William Hill Scottish Cup Quarter Final at Fir Park.

    These action shots and more are available to buy online at www.motherwellpics.com.

    [svgallery name=”aberdeen110312″]

  • Archive

    Motherwell 1 – 2 Aberdeen

    [tab:Match report]

    twitter Andy Ross at Fir Park

    Motherwell suffered quarter-final heartache in the William Hill Scottish Cup after losing out 2-1 to Aberdeen at Fir Park.

    Rory Fallon netted a first-half double to leave the hosts with a mountain to climb after the break.

    The task facing the Steelmen was increased when Keith Lasley was shown a straight red-card after a sliding tackle on Fraser Fyvie.

    Nicky Law scored with 11 minutes remaining to restore hope for the hosts, but the Aberdeen survived some late Motherwell pressure to claim their place in the last four.

    Motherwell demonstrated an early attacking threat and Nicky Law’s effort in the opening minute was deflected away for a corner by Andrew Considine.

    The visitors responded at the other end but Scott Vernon was unable to control Considine’s knock-down, despite the ball clearly rolling out of play off the Dons man, referee Craig Thomson awarded Aberdeen a corner and the decision proved to be crucial.

    Considine headed Fraser Fyvie’s corner back across goal and Rory Fallon bulleted a header beyond Darren Randolph.

    The opener seemed to give the visiting side a real belief and Vernon should have doubled their lead when he shot just wide from 12-yards after combining with Fallon.

    Randolph was forced into an excellent stop from Rory McCardle a minute later as ‘Well struggled to find their stride. Tim Clancy headed over from Steven Hammell’s corner as the hosts began to show signs of recovering from their early disappointment.

    Tom Hateley fired a free-kick against the Aberdeen wall as Motherwell continue to probe for an equaliser and they were presented with a fantastic opportunity four minutes later.

    Clark Robertson hauled down Michael Higdon inside the area and Craig Thomson wasted little time in pointing to the spot.

    The Englishman stepped up to take the resulting kick but was denied by a fantastic save by Jason Brown, much to the delight of the large Aberdeen support behind the goal.

    Stuart McCall was forced into a first half switch when Shaun Hutchinson, who had suffered a nasty looking head-knock was replaced by Jonathan Page.

    Jack’s involvement in the match was also short-lived and he was withdrawn for Chris Clark just two minutes later. Stuart McCall’s men were dealt a major blow just four minutes before the interval when he blazed home from Clark’s precise cross.
    A miserable 45 minutes was completed as McCall was sent to the stand following a confrontation with Thomson on the half-time whistle.

    The second half began with the Steelmen well aware that an early goal would be crucial in finding a way back into the match but it was Aberdeen who almost put the game out of sight three minutes after the restart.

    Megginson fizzed an effort on goal after connecting with Clark’s cross and only a brilliant Randolph save using his feet denied the visitors their third goal of the game. Motherwell responded immediately and Henrik Ojamaa’s low cross caused havoc amongst the Aberdeen defence.

    Nicky Law had a header comfortably held by Brown and Murphy failed to trouble the keeper with a tame effort from the edge of the box as the hosts struggled to find a cutting-edge in front of goal.

    Chris Humphrey replaced Murphy as ‘Well tried to find an attacking spark and the winger almost connected with Law’s cross within a minute of his introduction.

    The task facing the home side was made even greater when Keith Lasley was shown a straight red for a sliding challenge on Fraser Fyvie on 68 minutes.

    The young midfielder was stretchered off following the incident and replaced by Youl Mawene.

    With the clock ticking down Motherwell finally grabbed the goal they badly needed to kick-start their comeback. Humphrey’s cross slipped under Brown and Law was on hand to slide the ball into the empty net.

    Clark fired a shot straight at Randolph as the visitors looked to restore their two goal advantage.

    Law’s goal seemed to spark the Fir Park crowd into life and the players responded. Hateley’s corner caused all sorts of problems for the Dons defence and despite numerous deflections and miss-cued clearances Motherwell remained behind.

    As Motherwell threw men forward, Craig Brown’s side looked to hit on the counter attack.Kari Arnason stung the palms of Randolph with a fizzing drive and then Fallon should have done better after finding himself bearing down on the ‘Well goal.

    Five minutes of injury-time ensured a thrilling end to what was a pulsating cup tie.

    Clancy was denied by a fantastic bit of goalkeeping by Brown and Motherwell keeper Randolph raced forward for Hateley’s last minute corner.

    The Aberdeen defence scrambled the ball clear and Peter Pawlett’s 40-yard strike somehow crept wide of the gaping goal.
    It was to be the last chance of a thrilling afternoon at Fir Park and ‘Well fans will now hope to extract revenge on Brown’s men when they visit Fir Park next Saturday.

    [tab:As it happened]



    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “Everyone makes mistakes,” said McCall “I thought Craig, once the ball came in, would make it right.

    “But as Craig says you can’t just make up fouls, but it happens week in, week out, you watch it on telly. I felt a sense of injustice, but I could tell it affected the players for 10 or 15 minutes.

    “I’m hugely disappointed that they stopped me doing my job in the second half.”

    Aberdeen manager Craig Brown:

    “Both goals were excellent. They were saying it wasn’t a corner (which led to the first goal), but even if it’s not a corner you’ve still got to defend it better.

    “His second goal was exceptional.”


    [poll id=”94″]

  • Archive

    Free stickers with your programme

    Pick up a programme at tomorrow’s Scottish Cup Quarter Final with Aberdeen and claim a fabulous Panini starter pack.

    What else can you expect? Manager Stuart McCall talks about overcoming a tough Aberdeen side and drawing on experiences of last season’s Cup exploits.

    The cover interview is with striker Bob McHugh. The youngster talks about first-team opportunities, coming up against some familiar faces, achieving a Cup dream and explains the truth behind ‘those’ chants…

    There is a special 10-page section dedicated to our visitors. Not only is there a rundown of the current squad and a review of the season so far, we get the views of Don Grant Hay, Peter Elder looks back at one of the more memorable matches between the sides and former ‘Well favourite Mark Reynolds takes part in our Q&A.

    And that’s not all. As well as match reports from both the Celtic Park and East End Park, regular features such as On This Day and Graham Barnstaple’s column where he looks back at the BBC’s “expose” on the state of Scottish Football.

    Wait, there’s more! We take a look back at 1981/02 in our Golden Years feature and there’s an in-depth statistical look at referee, Craig Thomson. We have the latest from The Ticket Office, the ‘Well Society and the Commercial Department and the latest stats, facts and figures for the 2011/2012 campaign.

    The programme is available for £3 and is on sale from the Club Shop as well as the usual sellers located in and around the ground pre-match.

  • Archive

    TV: Hateley’s up for the Cup

    Defender Tom Hateley can’t wait for tomorrow’s Cup clash with Aberdeen and expects a noisy and atmospheric Fir Park.

    The teams will square off for only the second time ever in the last eight of the Scottish Cup – The Steelmen winning the first 37 years ago at Pittodrie.

    And Hateley, an ever-present this campaign, hopes the Steelmen can see off an Aberdeen side on a super run of form having not lost since Christmas Eve last year.

    “The last few times we have played them has been quite tight,” he said.

    “They are on a good run at the moment and not conceding too much which doesn’t surprise me with Craig and Archie in charge. They tend to make their teams strong defensively so the onus is on us, they’ll be tough to beat.

    “It’s sure to be busy on Sunday though – Fir Park will be rocking and make no mistake about it, we’ll be up for it. We’re looking forward to it and if we play the way we can, then hopefully we’ll get a positive result.”


    Well Society - Join Now

  • Archive

    TV: Erwin double sinks Dunfermline

    Motherwell U19s maintained their excellent run of form when they came back from a goal behind to beat Dunfermline 2-1 this afternoon.

    The Pars went ahead on the half hour mark when Euan Murray was adjudged to have pulled down forward Blair Henderson inside the area.

    Referee Stuart Macauley pointed to the spot, Ross Millen tucked it away low into the bottom right hand corner was Ross Stewart going the wrong way.

    Motherwell had a couple of claims turned down before eventually drawing level with a penalty of their own. Keiran McGachie was crudely felled by the goalkeeper Steven Mayne and the referee, who had a good view, rightly awarded the spot kick.

    Lee Erwin stepped up and confidently smashed the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

    The Steelmen battled away in search of a winner and eventually got it and, incredibly, it was yet another penalty. A Nicky Devlin throw to Erwin allowed the big striker to hold it up. When trying to protect the ball, he was bundled to the floor by Jordan Brown with the referee pointing to the spot for a third time.

    Erwin dusted himself down and coolly sent the ball into the opposite corner despite the Pars’ keeper guessing the right way.

    There were no further goals, or penalties for that matter, as Gordon Young’s side held on for their fifth win in six games.

    Motherwell: Stewart, Devlin, Cummins, E.Murray, Francis-Angol, Asghar (Green – 78mins), Leitch (Moore -56mins), Hetherington, Watt (MacDonald – 71mins), McGachie, Erwin

    Subs Not Used: R.Murray, Brownlie, Lynch

    .TV Gordon Young’s Reaction

    .TV Adam Cummins’ Reaction

    .TV Match Highlights