Latest News

  • Archive

    Jamie Murphy: A fond farewell

  • Archive

    Murphy completes Sheffield Utd switch

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Celtic Park

  • Archive

    TV: Emotional Murphy thanks the fans

  • Archive

    TV: McCall proud despite defeat

  • Archive

    Celtic defeat in pictures

  • Archive

    Celtic 1 – 0 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Matchday Live: vs Celtic

  • Archive

    Celtic tickets still on sale

  • Archive

    TV: McCall aiming to attack

  • Archive

    Jamie Murphy: A fond farewell

    As Jamie Murphy embarks on a new chapter in his career, we look back in pictures at some of the key points of his time at Fir Park.

    [svgallery name=”murphymemories”]

  • Archive

    Murphy completes Sheffield Utd switch

    Jamie Murphy has today finalised his move to English League One side Sheffield United for an undisclosed six-figure fee.

    The move ends Murphy’s eleven-year association with Motherwell FC who he joined back in 2001 at Under 12s level. At every pro-youth level Jamie finished top scorer and was rewarded by signing a professional deal at the start of the 2005/06 season whilst playing for the Under 17’s.

    The 23-year old made his senior debut at Celtic Park, introduced as a second half sub in April 2007 and, coincidentally, finished his Motherwell career on the same ground last night – both matches ending 1-0.

    Playing predominantly on the left hand side of midfield, Jamie has gone on to score 50 professional goals in 147 starts for the first-team (215 games in total).

    He leaves the club with more European appearances (18) than any other player and our all-time top European goalscorer with seven including the first ever Europa League hat-trick.

    During his time at Fir Park, Jamie has also represented every level of the national side with the exception of the full squad – on current form that can’t be too far away either.

    Murphy has signed a three-and-a-half year deal with Danny Wilson’s Sheffield United who are battling for the League One title and a place in the Championship.

    It is with great pride and satisfaction that we have watched Jamie’s career flourish and everyone at Motherwell Football Club would like to sincerely thank him for his outstanding contribution over the last decade and wish him every success at his new club.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Celtic Park

    Extended highlights from Celtic Park as a brave Motherwell side crash to a narrow 1-0 defeat at the hands of Celtic.


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: Emotional Murphy thanks the fans

    Striker Jamie Murphy thanked the Motherwell supporters after what looks likely to be his last outing in Claret and Amber.

    The 23-year old was outstanding for the Steelmen at Celtic Park this afternoon and now looks set to join former ‘Well strikers Chris Porter and Nick Blackman at League One side Sheffield United.

    An emotional Murphy, who has been at the club for over eleven years and played over 200 matches, was fighting back tears as he spoke to MFC TV for the last time.

    [pullquote]I just want to say thank you to each and every Motherwell supporter for everything over the past six years. I have been here so long, it is heartbreaking to leave.[/pullquote]

    “It was hard at the end of the match to see all the fans clapping and all the players standing behind me,” he said.

    “I just want to say thank you to each and every one of them and all the Motherwell supporters for everything over the past six years.

    “I have been here so long, it is heartbreaking to leave. That said the last thing I wanted to do was leave and Motherwell to get no reward or payment for everything they have put in and invested in me.

    “I have loads of good memories, made great friends; it has been brilliant.

    “I’m sure I’ll be back one day too. Motherwell is in my heart and I hope before I bring my career to a close I can play for the club again.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: McCall proud despite defeat

    Although Motherwell left the east end of Glasgow pointless, manager Stuart McCall was full of praise for his side’s performance.

    Celtic started the match in spectacular style and peppered the ‘Well goal for the opening ten minutes.

    However, the Steelmen grew into things and for the majority of the match, looked more than comfortable.

    Tom Hateley had a great chance to his put ‘Well in front from the penalty spot but was denied by a great Fraser Forster block. Three minutes later, Gary Hooper netted the game’s only goal and the Fir Parkers had nothing to show for their efforts.

    Although disappointed to lose, McCall was proud of his men and Jamie Murphy in particular, who was turning out for final time in Claret and Amber before a move to England this week.

    [pullquote]We grew into the game and I thought the longer the game went on, the better we were and ended up playing some good stuff.[/pullquote]

    “Celtic started really well,” the former Scotland International told MFC TV.

    “They came out the blocks quickly and we were a bit edgy and could have been two down in the first five minutes.

    “Then we grew into the game and I thought the longer the game went on, the better we were and ended up playing some good stuff. We made some chances and if Las had brought his shooting boots he could have had a hat-trick, although he was outstanding.

    “I could go throughout the team and praise them all but I’m pleased for Jamie (Murphy). He’s gone out on a really good performance and was terrific all afternoon.

    “Overall I have a feeling of pride that we’ve come and gave them a real game but also disappointed as nobody could have begrudged us a point with the effort the lads put in.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Celtic defeat in pictures

    Pictures from the 1-0 defeat by Celtic in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League at Celtic Park.

    [svgallery name=”celtic020113″]

  • Archive

    Celtic 1 – 0 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

    Phil McGhee at Celtic Park

    A brave Motherwell returned from Celtic Park empty handed after losing out to a Gary Hooper goal eleven minutes from time.

    Having withstood a whirlwind opening ten minutes from the home side, Stuart McCall’s men contributed greatly to an open match which could have gone either way.

    Indeed had Tom Hateley not been denied from the penalty spot by a fabulous save from Fraser Forster fifteen minutes from time, ‘Well might have taken all three points to reduce the gap at the top.

    It was appropriate that the two on form teams met in the first match of the New Year in a top of the table clash.

    Injury and tactics forced ‘Well into two changes. Shaun Hutchison failed to overcome his hamstring injury and Fraser Kerr partnered Simon Ramsden at the back with Tom Hateley deployed in front of a back three.

    Michael Higdon started on the bench as McCall preferred the speed and movement of Jamie Murphy and Henrik Ojamaa up front. In what is likely to be his last appearance in a Motherwell jersey Murphy had the honour of wearing the captain’s armband.

    Having finished Saturday’s game laying siege to Kilmarnock’s goal, ‘Well started this one on the receiving end of a phenomenal opening from the hosts. For fully ten minutes the visitors failed to get out of their own half as the Parkhead side pressed for the opening goal.

    And Motherwell could have conceded a few as Samaras nodded home from an offside position before Darren Randolph had great saves to deny Hooper, Charlie Mulgrew and Kris Commons.

    It was eleven minutes before Chris Humphrey broke upfield but having raced past Emilio Izaguirre, Commons slid in to guide the ball back to his ‘keeper.

    Gradually the intensity of the home side’s attacks decreased as Motherwell found time and space on the ball.

    The visitors also started to find some gaps in the home rearguard and Murphy’s low drive from the edge of the box forced the first save from Foster after 37 minutes.

    A minute later Motherwell created their best chance of the half when Murphy slipped the ball past Kayal at the angle of the box but with a gap emerging to the Foster’s left he curled the ball beyond the keeper and post.

    Having worked their way back into the game the Fir Park side almost conceded a cheap goal on the stroke of half-time. Mulgrew’s corner was headed back into the six yard box by Victor Wanyama. It looked a comfortable catch for Randolph but he let the ball slip from his grasp and was greatly relived as Efe Ambrose from a couple of yards hoofed the ball over the bar. The big keeper deserved the bit of luck given his performance to that point.

    Five minutes after the break slack defending in the home side allowed Zaine Francis-Angol’s cross to find its way to Murphy but his snap shot was blocked by Wilson.

    As Celtic flirted around the ‘Well goal, Kerr produced some timely blocks and Randoph a couple of routine saves.

    With 20 minutes remaining Motherwell continued to look comfortable in possession after a steady build up Hateley flashed a shot wide from 25 yards.

    As the game opened up for both sides Celtic brought on Tony Watt, who made such an impact when he came on at Fir Park last season.

    But it was Motherwell who had the best chance to break the deadlock after Kelvin Wilson tripped Murphy as he dragged the ball into the box. With regular taker Higdon on the bench and Murphy having missed the last penalty, Hateley stepped forward.

    A bit of gamesmanship from Forster earned him a booking but it paid off when the ‘keeper threw himself to the right to brilliantly beat away what was a well struck penalty from Hateley.

    Motherwell paid the ultimate penalty three minutes later when Celtic grabbed the only goal of the game. Georgios Samaras sped down the left and when he squared the ball across the six yard line Hooper prodded it under Randolph.

    ‘Well refused to lie down though and they might have had a second penalty. A great one – two with Ojamaa sent Murphy through only to fall as he raced past the keeper, with Celtic relieved as the referee awarded a corner.

    It was all Motherwell in the closing stages and the introduction of Omar Daley and Bob McHugh put more pressure on the home defence and Keith Lasley passed up a couple of half chances as the clock wound down.

    Significantly it was nervous groans from the home fans as the fourth official signalled four additional minutes. However, Motherwell couldn’t grab the equaliser they deserved and captain for the day Jamie Murphy was left to take an emotional bow in front of the pocket of travelling fans.

    [tab:As it happened]

    Ally Reilly at Celtic Park

    FT: Celtic 1 – 0 Motherwell

    90mins: 4mins added on

    83mins: Celtic subs: Rogne and McGeough on for Commons and Ambrose. Daley and McHugh on for Ojamaa and Francis-Angol too

    79mins: GOAL: Hooper makes it 1-0, Gutting for the Steelmen.

    PENALTY!!!! Missed by Hateley!!! Good save from Forster though!

    71mins: Celtic sub, Watt on for Kayal

    58mins: Up the other end Kayal drags his 25 yard effort just past,

    56mins: Good footwork from Lasley on the edge of the box creates some space. Just leaning back as he shoots so it goes straight over.

    50mins: Uncertainty there as Ambrose and Wilson both leave the ball to each other. Murphy nicks in but his shot is blocked

    46mins: Second half underway.

    45mins: HT Celtic 0 – 0 Motherwell

    37mins: Murphy skips past Ambrose and tries to place his shot into the bottom right hand corner. Just past!

    30mins: Having survived that first 15 minute bombardment, ‘Well are getting a little more possession and looking more comfortable

    23mins: Just to update, Celtic still on top, 3g connection still terrible!

    20mins: First half chance of the game falls to Murphy. Blazes his half volley well over the bar from 18 yards though

    15mins: Samaras has been at the heart of most of Celtics attacks and this time the Greek scoops well over the bar from 16 yards

    8mins: Randolph has to tip Mulgrew’s close free-kick just over the bar!

    6mins: Samaras finds Hooper unmarked at the front post but he aims straight at Randolph. Good stop from the Irishman.

    5mins: Commons is set-up on the edge of the box by Hooper. He goes for power and drags his shot just past.

    2mins: Samaras has the ball in the net but the linesman has his flag up!

    1min: Celtic kick the action off! #SIWY #COYW


    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “The writing was on the wall when we missed the penalty. With Forster, when you look at him in goal, if he goes the right way, he’s such a big frame.”

    “I think it’s a great save. It [Hateley’s penalty] is quite high, I don’t know how far in the corner it was.

    “Then we had a good shout for a second penalty. Jamie  says Forster’s brought him down, but you won’t get two here.

    “I am really proud of the way we played, especially second half. The first 20 minutes we were a bit nervous and edgy.

    “But we grew into the game and I thought for good spells in the second half we had chances and opportunities which we don’t normally get here.

    “I thought with the blocks we got and the defending, all round it was just a really good spirited effort and [I’m] bitterly disappointed not to get something from the game.”

    Celtic coach Gary Parker:

    “We’ve played very well, we created a number of chances. We just couldn’t break them down – they defended well.

    “We had 18 shots on goal and we broke them down late on. We deserved the goal and we deserved the three points.”

    “We just wanted to win the game and go nine points clear. We’ve got that game in hand over Inverness and we’ve just got to keep going and winning games.

    “Everybody’s beating everybody – we lost last week, so it’s difficult.

    “They’ve played a lot of football, we’ve had a lot of games. We’re in a position where we want to be and it’s a good time to have a break.”


    [poll id=”133″]

  • Archive

    Matchday Live: vs Celtic

    Motherwell make the short journey along the M74 to take on league-leaders Celtic at Celtic Park.


    Celtic manager Neil Lennon is hoping to have defenders Charlie Mulgrew and Adam Matthews fit for Motherwell’s visit.

    Midfielder Kris Commons, winger James Forrest and striker Anthony Stokes remain out through injury.

    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall is “very confident” that defender Shaun Hutchinson will recover from a tight hamstring suffered against Kilmarnock.

    It could be Jamie Murphy’s last game for the club after the forward held talks over a move to Sheffield United.


    Tickets are available from the Fir Park Ticket Office between 11am and 1pm priced at:

    ADULTS: £26 / £23
    UNDER 16s: £17 / £14
    OVER 65s: £17 / £14

    • The cheaper price ticket is for restricted view.


    There are no anticipated travel problems between Motherwell and Glasgow. Please note that access to London Road, outside the ground, is closed. Please bear that in mind when planning your journey, parking etc.


    It will be cloudy, overcast day in Glasgow. It will feel warmer than the last few days with temperature highs 11 degrees Celsius (52 Fahrenheit).


    Motherwell Media will bring you all the action from Fir Park. Graham Barnstaple and Kris Jack will call every kick off the ball live on MFC TV.

    You can also follow match updates on Twitter and join in the debate on our Foursquare and listen out for Stuart McCall’s pre-match thoughts on Audioboo.

  • Archive

    Celtic tickets still on sale

    Tickets for Wednesday’s Clydesdale Bank Premier League match with Celtic at Celtic Park are still on sale from the Fir Park Ticket Office.

    Tickets are priced at:

    ADULTS:    £26 / £23
    UNDER 16s:                                £17 / £14
    OVER 65s:    £17 / £14

    Please note the following Ticket Office opening times over the New Year period:

    Sunday – Closed
    Monday – 10am – 2pm
    Tuesday – Closed
    Wednesday – 11am – 1pm

    Celtic will not be selling tickets from the ground on the day of the match.

  • Archive

    TV: McCall aiming to attack

    Stuart McCall insists Motherwell will go to Celtic Park on Wednesday to have a go as that’s the only way they know how to play.

    The Steelmen have scored 37 times this campaign, the third highest in the league behind Inverness Caley and Celtic, and have conceded 29.

    With attacking options like Michael Higdon, Jamie Murphy, Henrik Ojamaa, Chris Humphrey, Bob McHugh and Omar Daley, the Fir Parkers are certainly set-up to go at the opposition.

    And whilst hoping his team can remain tight at the back, McCall hopes his attackers can get on the ball and cause the league leaders some problems.

    [pullquote]Our lads are full of confidence, we will try and get our attacking players on the ball and if we can, I am hopeful we can cause Celtic some problems.[/pullquote]

    He told MFC TV: “It doesn’t get any more difficult than Celtic away but we’re going to go and have a go as we have players that can cause teams problems although it’s always the same in that we have to be at our best.

    “Celtic will have to not be at their best; certainly not like how they played when they came here to Fir Park and beat us two-nil.

    “Having said that, it got to half an hour and it was still 0-0 then they scored two quick goals and Cummins got sent off making it a long afternoon for us.

    “I’m sure they will be looking forward to their last home game before the break but it’s a game we have to have a go at and hopefully we can pull something off.

    “They lost at the weekend and although Hibs missed some chances, they were a little unlucky. We need to be mindful of them wanting to bounce back.

    “However, our lads are full of confidence, we will try and get our attacking players on the ball and if we can, I am hopeful we can cause Celtic some problems.”


    MFC TV