Latest News

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from St Mirren Park

  • Archive

    TV: Lasley calls for Paisley lessons

  • Archive

    St Mirren U20s 3 – 2 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Under 20s face St Mirren in Paisley

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Dens Park

  • Archive

    Dundee defeat in pictures

  • Archive

    TV: Craigan frustrated at Dens showing

  • Archive

    Dundee 2 – 1 Motherwell

  • Archive

    TV: Craigan focused on football

  • Archive

    TV: Pearson relishing being back in action

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from St Mirren Park

    Extended Highlights from St Mirren Park as ‘Well go down by the odd goal in five in the SPFL Development League.

  • Archive

    TV: Lasley calls for Paisley lessons

    Under 20s assistant Keith Lasley has urged the young Motherwell U20s to learn lessons from their narrow 3-2 defeat in Paisley this evening.

  • Archive

    St Mirren U20s 3 – 2 Motherwell

    Motherwell Under 20s lost 3-2 to St Mirren in an incident-packed Development League match in Paisley tonight.

    Unlike in previous games, it was ‘Well who took an early lead when Dylan Mackin prodded his side in front inside four minutes. However, Saints were level then infront before the break thanks to goals from Lewis McLear and Lewis Morgan.

    The home side were reduced to ten men when Jaison McGrath was ordered off for a second bookable offence, before Dylan Falconer scored in controversial circumstances eight minutes from time.
    However, despite the man advantage and scoring to level things up, it was the hosts who scored the winner late on through McLear to take all three points.

    Under 20s assistant Keith Lasley made significant changes to the side that drew with Hearts seven days ago. Indeed, only four players survived in a team that contained not one single over-age player in the squad.

    And it was the away team, kitted in all Claret, who started the match on the front foot and took the lead after just four minutes.

    Full back Luke Watt picked up the ball on the left hand side and wasted no time curling an inviting cross into the area. Luke Conlan picked up, but dallied a little, allowing Mackin to steal. The striker maintained his composure to coolly lift the ball up and over the outrushing Wilks to open the scoring.

    Saints replied with a long-range strike from Barry Cuddihy that flew high over and into the stand, before Ross MacLean almost rounded off a good move with a back-post header, but it was straight at Wilks who saved.

    The Saints keeper had to look smart seconds later when following his kick-out, the ball was quickly back at the feet of Mackin whose quick-fire shot deflected into the air and spun towards goal, reminiscent of Marvin Johnson’s Play-off Final goal against Rangers at Fir Park. Sadly for the Steelmen, Saints stopper Wilks moved his feet well and comfortably held.

    Luke Watt had a trundler at goal just before the half hour but that was the last Motherwell would threaten in the half which the home side went on to dominate.

    It started with an ambitious 40-yard bouncing effort from Conlan, which forced PJ Morrison to turn around at the expense of a corner.

    However, the young keeper was powerless to prevent the hosts scoring with their next attack five minutes later. Saints did well to move the ball about on the edge of the ‘Well area, and after Lewis McLear’s neat one-two with Jaison McGrath, the former curled a low strike into the bottom corner with Morrison at full stretch.

    It went from bad to worse for the Fir Parkers on the stroke of half-time as David Longwell’s side got their noses in front. Left back Jordan Stewart sent a tremendous through ball to Lewis Morgan, sending the Saints man clear. He kept his composure to slot beyond Morrison to give his side a 2-1 lead at the interval.

    Saints could have all but wrapped up the win just four minutes into the second half when McLear collected a weak clearance and with Morrison off his line, the striker’s lob hit the bar before bouncing out.

    Motherwell responded with a Robbie Leitch corner that found Ben Hall at the back post but his header dropped wide of target.

    Saints found themselves down to ten men when Jaison McGrath was ordered off for a quick-fire double booking. The first was for a cynical, foolish trip on David Ferguson. The second, just a few minutes later, looked a little harsh and more like two players competing for the ball.

    It didn’t deter the hosts though and they continued, with their abundance of pace, to look a threat on the counter, particularly via left-sider Morgan who twice raced away clear of the Steelmen rearguard, only to be denied on both occasions by Morrison. Those efforts were sandwiched either side of a low Cadden shot that forced Wilks to parry.

    Mackin also had a header flicked towards goal, but it presented little problems for Wilks to pluck out the air.

    The extra man eventually started to take it’s toll on Saints as ‘Well started to take control. Leitch had a shot fly high over the bar, sub Jake Hastie’s deflected effort bounced inches wide and when the corner eventually came over, Watt laid it on a plate for Mackin only for the big striker to scoop over from a yard out.

    Then, with eight minutes to go, Motherwell levelled things up in controversial and unusual circumstances. Goalkeeper Wilks was adjudged to have held the ball longer than the allowed six seconds. He was booked by referee Grant Irvine and after taking a quick free-kick with Saints having no time to retreat, Dylan Falconer eventually slammed home into an empty net. St Mirren’s players and management team were apoplectic at the call, surrounding the officials amid chaotic scenes.

    However, the players on the park quickly regrouped and almost got themselves back in front, only for a low shot to crash into the side-netting. It was a warning the young Claret and Amber men failed to heed though as with five minutes left on the clock, Saints grabbed the winner.

    Conlan led his side into another quick counter, and when his low shot was parried out by Morrison, McLear was on hand to tuck home his second of the night, Saint’s third, to wrap up all three points.

    Motherwell: Morrison, McMillan, Watt, Ferguson, Hall, Turnbull (Hastie – 67mins), MacLean, R.Leitch, Mackin, Watters (Falconer – 67mins), Cadden

    Subs Not Used: Potts, Livingstone, Moore, Maguire

  • Archive

    Under 20s face St Mirren in Paisley

    The Under 20s return to action tonight (Tuesday) when they take on St Mirren at St Mirren Park.

    The young Steelmen have drawn their last 4 league games and on each of those occasions they’ve been forced to come from behind.

    The Buddies have yet to win a game at home and haven’t played in over a fortnight, when they beat Rangers 1-0.

    They currently sit seventh place in the SPFL Development League table, one point above the Claret and Amber men, having played a game more.

    The match will take place at the St Mirren Park, home of St Mirren, with kick-off 6pm.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Dens Park

    Extended Highlights from Dens Park as two second half goals consign ‘Well to their fourth away defeat in a row.

  • Archive

    Dundee defeat in pictures

    Action images from today’s 2-1 defeat to Dundee at Dens Park in the Ladbrokes Premiership.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix.

    [svgallery name=”dundee031015″]

  • Archive

    TV: Craigan frustrated at Dens showing

    Interim manager Stephen Craigan was left frustrated after ‘Well lose 2-1 to Dundee at Dens Park this afternoon.

  • Archive

    Dundee 2 – 1 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

     Gavin McCafferty at Dens Park

    Motherwell failed to build on a decent first half showing, losing 2-1 to Dundee at Dens Park this afternoon.

    The Steelmen had a lot of the ball and got into great areas on several different occasions during a first-half dominated by injuries, with Greg Stewart and Kevin Thomson along with Lionel Ainsworth having to be replaced.

    However, a disappointing second half saw the Dees take the lead through Rory Loy before Kevin Holt fired free kick through the wall to double the home side’s lead.

    Stephen Pearson reduced the arrears with five minutes left on the clock, but ‘Well couldn’t haul themselves level as Paul Hartley’s side held out for all three points.

    Dundee were missing captain James McPake because of a jaw injury while Motherwell started with a 4-1-4-1 formation with Josh Law restored at right-back and Louis Moult wide on the left. Marvin Johnson had to be content with a place

    The Dark Blues’ main man Greg Stewart’s lasted less than half an hour before he was injured by a sliding challenge from the back-tracking Moult, who earned a booking.

    As Stewart hobbled round the perimeter of the pitch to be replaced by Gary Harkins, Ainsworth went down clutching his thigh after slipping on the heavily-watered turf. Johnson came on to play on the Motherwell right wing.

    The visitors, wearing black armbands in memory of former skipper Joe Wark, who died on Thursday, gradually imposed themselves on the game.

    Moult fired over on the run from 18 yards before releasing Scott McDonald, whose cross was just too high for Johnson.

    Thomson eas the third place to hobble off shortly before the break after failing to run off a knee problem, Jesse Curran coming on for his debut.

    Dundee finished the half strongly and threatened from several Harkins set-pieces. Ripley saved two free-kicks before holding Thomas Konrad’s header following a corner.

    It was a Harkins free-kick that led to the opener 13 minutes after the break. Motherwell were still penned in following the lofted ball into the box as Riccardo Calder fired the ball back into the goalmouth for Loy to turn home with the heel of his boot.

    Harkins almost cost his side moments later when he lost the ball to Keith Lasley but Johnson mishit his shot after being picked out 12 yards out by McDonald and the ball spun into Scott Bain’s hands.

    Ripley got down well to save from Loy after the former Falkirk striker made space 18 yards out but the Motherwell goalkeeper was soon beaten in the 70th minute.

    Holt drilled a low free-kick through the wall from 22 yards and into the bottom corner, the deflection doing enough to take it further away from Ripley.

    Motherwell threw on strikers Wes Fletcher and Theo Robinson and reverted to a 4-4-2 formation.

    Moult looped a header just over but Dundee came close to a third when Harkins’ shot hit off teammate Kane Hemmings and spun just wide.

    Motherwell got back in the game in the 83rd minute when Pearson drilled a ball across the face of goal that evaded several players and Bain before going in off the post.

    The Claret and Amber men sensed they could get level, however, an overhit Johnson cross was the visitors’ best opportunity to equalise.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Ally Reilly at Cappielow Park

    FT’ | 2-1

    Dundee 2 – 1 Motherwell

    90′ | 2-1

    3 minutes added on.

    86′ | 2-1

    Corner for ‘Well, great delivery by Grimshaw but no takers!

    83′ | 2-1

    GOAL – Pearson pulls on back for ‘Well!

    81′ | 2-0

    Harkins’ long-range shot is deflected which has Ripley scrambling. Rolls just past the post.

    76′ | 2-0

    Final Dundee change, Loy off for Healey

    74′ | 2-0

    Law advances forward and clips in a cross to the head of Moult but it’s inches over the bar.

    71′ | 2-0

    Double Motherwell change, Robinson and Fletcher on for Lasley and McDonald

    70′ | 2-0

    Goal – Holt drills in a low free-kick to make it 2-0

    66′ | 1-0

    Motherwell break away but the chance goes when Johnson slips as he shoots and it ends up over the bar,.

    60′ | 1-0

    McDonald puts it on a plate for Johnson but he fires into the ground and takes the sting out it for Bain who gathers easily.

    58′ | 1-0

    Goal – Loy connects with Calder’s cross to make it 1-0 to Dundee.

    54′ | 0-0

    Kennedy booked for fouling Loy just inside the Motherwell half. From that free-kick, Grimshaw heads out for a corner.

    47′ | 0-0

    Ripley quickly called into action, racing off his line to gather at the feet of Loy.

    46′ | 0-0

    Back underway here at Dens Park. COYW!!

    HT’ | 0-0

    Half-time whistle goes and its goalless here in Dundee.

    45+3′ | 0-0

    Ripley has to be alert, diving low to his left to palm away Harkins’ curled free-kick.

    45+1′ | 0-0

    5 minutes added on.

    45+1′ | 0-0

    Curran sneaks round at the back post and gets his head on a corner. Easy save for Ripley though.

    42′ | 0-0

    Another Dundee injury, Thomson limps off for Curran

    40′ | 0-0

    Harkins curls in a great ball which flies through a ruck of bodies. Thankfully Ripley reads it and makes the stop.

    39′ | 0-0

    Half-chance there for Moult as he cuts inside from the left and gets a shot away from range. Fired over the bar.

    35′ | 0-0

    Konrad booked for a body-check on Johnson as he broke away.

    30′ | 0-0

    Motherwell with a forced sub, Ainsworth limps of for Johnson

    28′ | 0-0

    Dundee sub, Stewart hobbles off for Harkins.

    23′ | 0-0

    Moult booked for a foul on Stewart.

    20′ | 0-0

    More positive play from Ainsworth. Gets past Holt again but Bain is on hand to pluck his cross out the air.

    17′ | 0-0

    Calder drifts in-field, then cuts back out on his left and gets the shot away. Routine stop for Ripley though.

    16′ | 0-0

    Another ‘Well corner, but this time a Dundee defender gets his head to it just before Kennedy.

    14′ | 0-0

    Ainsworth gets past Holt and wins a corner…..McManus’ header is cooly gathered by Bain.

    7′ | 0-0

    Stewart jinks his way in-field and is only thwarted by a great sliding block by Kennedy.

    5′ | 0-0

    Stewart gets played in with plenty of space down the right but opts to shoot first time, ballooning it well over the bar.

    2′ | 0-0

    Loy spins in the box and sees his shot deflected wide for a corner. Grimshaw nods the dellvery clear at the front post.

    1′ | 0-0

    Thomson and Stewart get the action underway. COYW!!!!

    Out come the teams. Lovely sunny afternoon for it, with kick-off moments away.


    Motherwell interim manager Stephen Craigan:

    I thought first half we were in the ascendancy. We spoke during the week about having more composure in the final third and picking an extra pass rather than smashing the ball into an area.

    “So it was disappointing that we got ourselves into areas and didn’t capitalise first half.

    “But it boils down to not defending a cross ball and a wall that disintegrates.”

    Dundee manager Paul Hartley:

    “The first half wasn’t a great spectacle. I though they were better than us but I thought it was a much better second half for us.

    “When you have Loy and (Kane) Hemmings they are always a threat.

    “Rory has started four games and got five goals and Kano’s work rate was terrific.”


    [poll id=”247″]

  • Archive

    TV: Craigan focused on football

    Interim manager Stephen Craigan previews tomorrow’s game with Dundee and talks about his experience as temporary manager so far.

  • Archive

    TV: Pearson relishing being back in action

    Midfielder Stephen Pearson looks ahead to tomorrow’s game against Dundee and chats about his return from injury.