Latest News

  • Archive

    Motherwell 3 – 1 Dundee

  • Archive

    TV: Pearson – Confidence is building

  • Archive

    TV: McGhee – Break is for supporters

  • Archive

    Under 20s derby match off

  • Archive

    Scottish Cup: Ticket & Match Information

  • Archive

    Anderson to officiate Dee clash

  • Archive

    Reminder: Well Society Board Nominations

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Excelsior Stadium

  • Archive

    TV: Craigan pleased with Cup progress

  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 1 – 0 Kilmarnock U20s

  • Archive

    Motherwell 3 – 1 Dundee

    [tab:Match report]

     Phil McGhee Fir Park

    An excellent performance helped ‘Well to a 3-1 win over Dundee at Fir Park this afternoon.

    Two first half goals from Scott McDoanld and Loius Moult rewarded ‘Well for a terrific opening forty-five.

    However, after Gary Harkins pulled one back for Dundee midway through the second half the Steelmen had to work hard to retain their lead before Stephen Pearson’s last minute strike wrapped up the points

    Having recorded only one victory between them from their last seven games, both sides were eager to regain their winning form and that ensured a competitive and entertaining affair for the fans.

    The ‘Well boss gave 18 year-old Ben Hall a starting place in central defence. The Northern Ireland teenager made a very impressive debut and a couple of early interventions against a very attack minded Dundee helped settle him alongside the solid and experienced Stephen McManus..

    However, it was Motherwell, for the second consecutive home game, that snatched the early lead.

    Loius Moult with a brilliant turn and pass released Marvin Johnson and after his drive was blocked by Paul McGinn, he was fouled by the Dee defender as they chased the rebound.

    Josh Law’s resultant free kick was cleared only as far as Pearson, who immediately slid the ball through to the unmarked McDonald who calmly stabbed the ball beyond the helpless ‘keeper from eight yards to make it 1-0.

    Play was pretty even after that until around the half hour mark when the visitors’ goal was put under some sustained pressure.

    A sweeping move in the 27th minute between Stevie Hammell and McDonald ended with the latter picking out Pearson and his low shot was sneaking inside the post until Scott Bain at full stretch palmed the ball round the post.

    A minute later a tempting cross from Johnson was met by Moult and his glancing flew past Bain only to rebound from the ‘keeper’s post. Liam Grimshaw latched onto the rebound but his effort was palmed over the bar by Bain.

    The Dundee ‘keeper was finally beaten again and Moult rewarded with his ninth goal of the season when the striker rose to meet Law’s inswinging corner and send his header high into the net.

    Connor Ripley was forced to make his first save ten minutes from the break throwing himself to his left to turn Kane Hemmings angled drive from six yards behind his goal. The ‘Well ‘keeper then had to race from his line to slide and block the ball at the egde of his area with Hemmings homing in.

    There was still time for another home effort on Bain’s goal before the break with the ‘keeper happy to see Grimshaw’s 20 yard drive dip over his crossbar.

    Not surpringly Paul Hartley’s men started the second half in a determined fashion with ‘Well required to do some solid defending.

    On the hour, though, and with almost a replay of the second goal, Law’s corner found Moult but his glancing header sent the ball just wide. Minutes later Moult came close again with a clever chip from outside the box but the ball floated over the bar and onto the netting.

    It was end to end action and Ripley had to react quickly to beat away Hemmings thumping effort from 12 yards. The ‘Well ‘keeper was helpless, though, after 68 minutes when Dundee pulled a goal back, Gary Harkins’ shot from 10 yards taking a slight deflection as it raced beyond Ripley to make it 2-1.

    The scores should have been level five minutes later but from five yards Greg Stewart sent his diving header wide of a begging target.

    The Taysider’s almost immediately paid for that miss when Law’s free kick was curling low inside the post until Bain threw himself across goal to claw the ball off the line.

    That save ensured a tense final ten minutes with ‘Well holding off an eager Dundee until a third goal in the final minute settled the game.

    David Clarkson,who came off the bench for his first appearance since August, made his way to the goal line before driving the ball across where amidst a packed goal Pearson’s touch directed the ball into the net to round off a great afternoon’s work for McGhee’s men.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Ally Reilly at Fir Park

    Big three points for the Claret and Amber men. Really encouraging performance, topped off with three goals.

    FT: Motherwell 3 – 1 Dundee

    93′ | 3-1
    Motherwell sub, Dylan Mackin is on for goalscorer @louismoult . Great shift from Moulty!

    There will be 4 minutes added on.

    91′ | 3-1
    Pearson claims it but hard to tell. Looked like an own goal but 3-1 to the Steelmen!!


    86′ | 2-1
    Ainsworth curls in a great ball to Moult whose diving header loops over the bar.

    Young ‘Well fans can vote now for their Man of the Match. Use #MatchAttaxMOTM within your tweet.

    82′ | 2-1
    Motherwell sub, Clarkson on for Johnson

    72′ | 2-1
    Good chance there for Calder but thankfully the substitute can’t get enough curl on his shot and it goes wide.

    76′ | 2-1
    Bain has to scamper across his line to palm Law’s free-kick from 20 yards to safety

    74′ | 2-1
    Great chance for Stewart as he got on the end of McGowan’s cross. Perhaps Harkins put him off, but he heads wide from 8 yards.

    68′ | 2-1
    Goal – Harkins pulls on back for Dundee, getting on the end of Hemmings’ low cross.

    67′ | 2-0
    McGowan booked for a rash challenge on Johnson as he raced away from him

    65′ | 2-0
    Ball breaks kindly to Moult about 20 yards. With better options he opts for a lob, which is inches over the bar.

    And a Dundee sub, Low off for Calder

    63′ | 2-0
    Motherwell sub, McDonald off for Ainsworth

    60′ | 2-0
    Similar chance to the one Moult scored earlier but this time he nods it wide of the post.

    59′ | 2-0
    McDonald booked for pulling down Stewart about 30 yards from the Motherwell goal…

    58′ | 2-0
    Dundee sub, Harkins on for Loy.

    56′ | 2-0
    Irvine booked for a late tackle on Stevie Hammell…

    Second half is underway. COYW!!

    Very positive opening 45 from the Steelmen! Very much in command and playing some real good stuff.

    HT: Motherwell 2 – 0 Dundee.

    46′ | 2-0
    Great run by Grimshaw down the right to get into the box but his final ball lets him down, firing it straight to Bain.

    45′ | 2-0
    Great tackle by McDonald allows Pearson to set up Grimshaw. His left footed shot curls just over the bar from 18 yards.

    42′ | 2-0
    Hemmings races through on goal but Ripley is alert and beats him to the ball, allowing Lasley to sweep it clear. Good save!

    41′ | 2-0
    Dundee sub, Konrad on for Etxabeguren

    36′ | 2-0
    Good chance for Hemmings as he gets the ball on his favoured foot inside the box but Ripley is equal to it and beats it away

    31′ | 2-0
    Moult nods in Law’s front post corner to stick the Steelmen 2 goals ahead!!


    28′ | 1-0
    Grimshaw follows it in and sees his shot deflected onto the bar! 2 great chances!!

    28′ | 1-0
    Off the post from Moult! Great ball in by Johnson finds the strikers head but it comes crashing back off the post.

    27′ | 1-0
    Great ball from Hammell finds McDonald who smartly picks out Pearson. Bain does well to tip it away for a corner!!

    21′ | 1-0
    Stewart’s corner sets up an acrobatic effort from Hemmings but it’s well over Ripley’s bar.

    17′ | 1-0
    Very positive start from the Steelmen. Plenty of good play, just as they search for a second.

    Ball falls to Pearson on the edge of the box and he shows excellent awareness to slide in McDonald who slotted home!


    3′ | 0-0
    Nice bit of play down the left from ‘Well as lets McDonald cut inside but his square ball across goal has no takers.

    Hemmings and Loy get the Action underway. COYW!!!


    Motherwell manager Mark McGhee:

    Coming Soon…

    Dundee manager Paul Hartley:

    Coming Soon…


    [poll id=”253″]

  • Archive

    TV: Pearson – Confidence is building

    Stephen Pearson reckons Mark McGhee’s methods will soon start translating into points as the Steelmen look to put a run of results together.

    The Fir Parkers have been up and down since the new manager’s appointment, taking points of Aberdeen, Hearts and Kilmarnock but losing to Celtic, Inverness and Ross County.

    ‘Well currently occupy the eleventh spot, where they finished last year, but hope comes from the fact teams above are within touching distance.

    And the 33-year old former Scotland International is sure the hard work of the ‘Well boss will eventually pay dividends.

    He said: “The confidence is building. There has been a lot of changes in terms of training and other different things the manager is trying to implement.

    “It will take time for the manager to get his ideas across but the players are listening to what he is saying and working hard to try and do these things.

    “The fans want us to win games instantly, they don’t want to wait, especially after last season and the way it went.

    [pullquote]”It will take time for the manager to get his ideas across but the players are listening to what he is saying and working hard to try and do these things.[/pullquote]

    “They don’t want to find ourselves in that position again and the fans are probably anxious.

    “The players also know where we are in the table but we try not to think about it too much. We just look ahead to the game coming up at the weekend and take it one match at a time.

    “It’s up to us to make sure we don’t end up in that position again.”

    McGhee has gone on record by saying it’s unlikely the club will be able to add a raft of players in January, unless he can wheel and deal.

    However, that’s not something that is of concern to Pearson, who is adamant there is enough in the squad to ensure ‘Well pull themselves up the table.

    “I believe we’ve got enough in this squad to get out of trouble,” he said.

    “We’ve got enough players who are capable. We’ve got match-winners, we’ve got goal scorers and defensively we’ve been okay throughout the season.”

  • Archive

    TV: McGhee – Break is for supporters

    ‘Well boss Mark McGhee thinks any prospect of a winter break should be done to suit fans, not players and pitches.

    The League Cup’s radical overhaul will allow for a winter break to be introduced to the top-flight calendar as of January 2017 and McGhee believes the focus of the shut-down should be about encouraging fans back through the turnstiles – and not about giving players a rest.

    Speaking ahead of Dundee’s Ladbrokes Premiership visit to Fir Park on Saturday, McGhee said: “Everyone has to change their mentality. It’s no longer like you finished on cup final day – well I did as a player – and then you were off for six weeks.

    “I heard players like Juan Mata talking about how it’s now a year-round game.

    “From my point of view, the focus on the winter break should be on supporters.

    “What do the fans want? When do they need a break? When is it commercially viable for us to look after the supporters but still take care of our own interests?

    “It’s not about when do the players or the pitches need a rest. We can deal with that.

    [pullquote]The winter break should be about making sure punters aren’t standing in the freezing cold, where the roads are dangerous and it’s minus 10.”[/pullquote]

    ‘Well take on Dundee at Fir Park on Saturday, hoping to build on the solid performance against high-flying Hearts a fortnight ago.

    And as much as he expects a tough game from Paul Hartley’s men, McGhee hopes to make it equally tough for the visiting Dee.

    The Dark Blues haven’t won since edging out ‘Well at Dens Park back in October, but have only lost twice in the same two-month period.

    Asked if that, and the points gap between the teams makes the game a must win, the Fir Park boss replied: “We need to win every game, at the end of the day, we need to accumulate enough points to ensure we get out of this second bottom spot.

    “Because of that, every single game is important.

    “I saw Dundee play St Johnstone recently and both teams were decent. Dundee are physically strong, competitive, energetic and have good players. They have dangerous players up front and are experienced at the back, so they’ll be difficult opposition for us.

    “However, on our day, as we proved against Hearts, we’re not bad so it’s got the” makings of a really good game.”

  • Archive

    Under 20s derby match off

    Tonight’s Under 20s Lanarkshire Derby has been postponed due to high winds making conditions unplayable.

    Although both teams were at New Douglas Park and the surface was in perfect condition, it was agreed by both Stephen Craigan and Martin Canning, alongside the match official, that the gale-force winds would have made the game extremely difficult.

    No date has been set for the re-arranged game.

  • Archive

    Scottish Cup: Ticket & Match Information

    Motherwell FC is today delighted to confirm match and ticketing arrangements for the William Hill Scottish Cup 4th Round clash with Cove Rangers.

    The match will take place at Fir Park on Saturday 9th January 2016, with a 3pm kick off.

    Tickets for the match will go on sale tomorrow (Thursday, 10th December 2015) afternoon at 12 noon priced at:

    ADULTS:   £12 
    CONCESSIONS:                           £5
      • Concessions are listed as Under 16s, Over 60s and Full Time Students with a valid matriculation card.

    In addition, both clubs have agreed an initiative whereby any fan that pre-purchases their adult ticket on or before 2nd January 2016 will qualify for an additional concession tickets free of charge.

    For clarity, that is one free concession tickets per adult ticket purchased on or before 2nd January 2016.

    Any tickets purchased after the 2nd January, or on the turnstile on the day of the match, will be subject to the standard pricing of £12 for adults and £5 concessions.

    Away fans are also able to claim this same deal, but should check directly with Cove Rangers for full sales and distribution arrangements.

    General Manager Alan Burrows said: “The club have worked with our colleagues at Cove Rangers to not only price the match competitively, but also incentivise families to join us for what we hope will be an exciting afternoon of Cup football.

    “We have listened to supporter feedback, particularly around the time of year the match is taking place, and tried to make the fixture as attractive as possible.

    “We’ve not had too many home ties over recent years, and Motherwell has always traditionally carried a sizeable Cup support.

    “In what will be the 25th anniversary year of our famous 1991 success, we hope fans will come out and back the team in large numbers and hopefully roar them through.”

  • Archive

    Anderson to officiate Dee clash

    Referee for Saturday’s Ladbrokes Premiership game with Dundee at Fir Park is Euan Anderson.

    Anderson, 32, will be handling his first Motherwell match of the season and it will be the whistler’s third Ladbrokes Premiership match of the season having been in widespread action across the divisions in Scotland this term.

    He has been fourth official at several top-flight matches as well as Motherwell’s Scottish Cup success against Queen’s Park a few seasons back.

    The Dumbarton-based whistler was promoted to category one in the summer of 2011 and has taken charge of three Motherwell matches in the past, the first coming in the Scottish Cup fourth round defeat to Albion Rovers at New Douglas Park on November 2013 where a first goal of the season for Albion’s Gary Phillips ensured the Coatbridge outfit’s qualification to the next round of the cup.

    He was also in charge of Motherwell’s 2-1 win away to Kilmarnock in 2014/15 season where goals from Stephen Pearson and Lee Erwin secured three points for Well’ on this occasion with an Anthony Straker own-goal being the only blotch to the copybook on that day.

    The win was part of a three match win streak that Well’ put together on the backend of last season, commencing with a 4-0 victory over Hamilton and a 5-0 victory over St Mirren to bookend the Kilmarnock fixture.

    This season he has handled two other Premiership matches at Inverness and Partick as well as Championship matches at Dumfries, Livingston, Paisley and Falkirk.

    His record for this season reads: 11 matches officiated with 32 yellow cards and two red cards.

    Euan will be assisted by Kylie McMullan and Ross Haswell, with Alan Muir on fourth official duties. Brian Winter and Brian McGarry are the referee observers and Tim Love is the SPFL Delegate.

  • Archive

    Reminder: Well Society Board Nominations

    ‘Well Society members are reminded that nomination forms are due in by midnight December 8th

    By now you should have received your nomination forms for the Well Society board vacancy via email or post. If you haven’t submitted your vote you can access the form by clicking here and submit it to us by post, email well.society@motherwellfc.co.uk or in person.

    You can find out more about each candidate by clicking here

    Thanks again for all your support and good luck to our three candidates.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Excelsior Stadium

    Extended highlights from Excelsior Stadium as Ross MacLean’s free-kick gives Motherwell U20s a 1-0 win over Kilmarnock in the Youth Cup.

  • Archive

    TV: Craigan pleased with Cup progress

    Stephen Craigan was pleased with how his young side handled the Youth Cup occasion to book their spot in the Quarter Final.

    The Steelmen, who have barely got past the first round in recent years, roared into the last eight, eliminated their second top league team, after beating Partick Thistle earlier in the year.

    Ross MacLean’s 20-yard free-kick on the half hour was enough to separate today’s game with Kilmarnock, and the former Fir Park skipper declared himself content with progress so far, with ‘Well looking in control for large spells and limited the Ayrshire side to very few opportunities.

    “I’m delighted to be through, but even more pleased with the way we managed the game,” Craigan told MFC TV after the match.

    “If anything we could have been a lot more comfortable after getting ourselves into so many good positions, but we deserved to go through.

    [pullquote]“It is a wee marker about how we’re moving forward. We played Kilmarnock earlier in the season and drew 2-2; they were one of the better sides we faced in the league, but today I thought we were slightly ahead of them, which tells me the players are taking things in.[/pullquote]

    “We have to be careful not to get too carried away, yes it’s back-to-back wins, yes it’s back-to-back clean sheets, but I also want us to be more ruthless.”

    The win puts Motherwell in the Quarter Final of the Youth Cup, the first time the club has reached that stage in many, many years.

    The Northern Irishman admits he would love his side to go all the way to Hampden, which could be just two games away.

    He said: “Our aim, before the game, was to get beyond Christmas in the competition.

    “I said to a few of the older lads like Cadden and Thomas, who are both ‘96’s’, that this is their last year in the competition, but encouraged them to not see this as their last game in it.

    “Would we like to win it? Of course! A lot may depend on the draw but with the improvements and the strides we’re making, I don’t think we fear anyone.

    “We have already eliminated two top-level clubs and with one or two lads still to come back, we’re in a strong position.

    “The chance is there for the players – it’s up to them how far we can go.”

  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 1 – 0 Kilmarnock U20s

    Motherwell progressed to the Quarter Final of the Little Big Shot Youth Cup with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Kilmarnock today.

    The hosts controlled large periods of the game, particularly during the first-half, and limited Killie to very few attempts at Brett Long’s goal.

    The winning goal came on the half hour when, after Dom Thomas had been fouled on the edge of the area, Ross MacLean curled home a stunning free-kick past Miller and into the net.

    Stephen Craigan named almost the same side that progressed through the last round against Stenhousemuir, with Jake Hastie starting ahead of Dylan Falconer the only difference.

    ‘Well had first-team experience in the shape of Luke Watt, Chris Cadden, Ross MacLean and Dom Thomas. Killie could call on Syme, Splaine, Frizzell and McLean for players who had featured for Gary Locke’s side.

    It was the Fir Parkers who made a bright start to the game and after Allan Campbell had dragged a low show wide of target after just sixty seconds, they should’ve gone ahead with just two minutes on the clock.

    Dylan Mackin and Thomas combined down the right, and when the latter flashed a low cross across the face of goal, Jake Hastie could only scoop an effort high over the bar from close range.

    It was the Steelmen who continued to set the agenda from an attacking point of view, creating numerous openings including a MacLean cut-back that almost picked out Thomas before being cleared, a Thomas shot that bounced just wide of target and something similar from Luke Watt, who tried his luck from 30-yards out.

    MacLean also had a header that squirmed past Miller in the home goal, only for Hodge to hook it off the line as it headed towards the net.

    Kilmarnock’s first real venture up the park came on the 27th minute when they forced Brett Long to tip over a whipped McLean free-kick from wide on the left.

    However, it looked a matter of time before the Claret and Amber men made their pressure count and on the half hour, the goal finally came. Dom Thomas was the creator when, after dancing around a few challenges, was crudely felled on the edge of the area.

    MacLean stepped up, and wrong-footed the goalkeeper with a curling free-kick that flew over the wall and into the far corner.

    Just before the interval, another free-kick, this time from Watt, caused problems for Miller who looked to have been caught under it, only to recover and tip over, albeit at the expense of a sore looking collision with the goal frame.

    As expected after a fairly disappointing first-half, Killie came out with the foot firmly on the accelerator at the start of the second half.

    However, despite having more of the ball, it was ‘Well who created the first chance when a solo run from Thomas ended with a fierce shot that went narrowly off target.

    Kilmarnock’s best chance of the game came shortly after that Thomas effort, when following a neat passing move, a reverse ball had Wilson in on the right side of the box, but his shot flew just over the bar.

    Motherwell’s reply was swift when MacLean let rip from distance, skimming the top of the bar as it flew over, and Thomas, who after being sent scampering away by Mackin, shot inches wide of the right hand post.

    Thomas had a free-kick cannon off the wall and Kilmarnock had a sight of goal via Sibbald only for the ‘Well rearguard to recover enough to make his chance more difficult.

    As the game neared his conclusion, Thomas was so close to adding a second with a net-bound looking effort that only went wide after flicking Mackin on route.

    However, despite a few long balls into the area, ‘Well comfortably seen out the game and safely progressed to the last eight of the competition for the first time in well over a decade.

    Motherwell: Long, McMillan, Livingstone, Watt, Hall, Campbell, Hastie (Turnbull – 86mins), MacLean (R.Leitch – 71mins), Mackin, Cadden, Thomas

    Subs Not Used: Morrison, Maguire, Falconer

    Goals: MacLean (30)

    Booked: Campbell