Latest News

  • First team

    Rose: A lot to play for

  • First team

    Robinson: The boys look sharp

  • Club

    Motherwell enter partnership with Ticketmaster

  • Club

    The career of Keith MacRae

  • Club

    Alan Burrows promoted to chief executive

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    Highlights as Under 20s beat Partick Thistle

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    Pleased with dominant performance

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    U20s: Motherwell 1 – 0 Partick Thistle

  • Women

    Women’s team back with a win

  • First team

    Motherwell face Celtic in cup final

  • First team

    Rose: A lot to play for

    Andy Rose is expecting a tough few weeks as the Steelmen head in to the final stretch of the 2017/18 campaign.

    With 11th placed Ross County up next on Saturday, the midfielder is prepared to face a determined side at the Global Energy Stadium.

    But the Steelmen are equally determined, revealed the 28-year-old.

    “We’ve got a lot more to achieve this season,” he said. “At the moment, that’s getting three points this weekend.

    “We’re a relatively new group with a lot of new faces this season. I think a part of growing and maturing together is consistency.

    “We’ve shown against the top sides that we can compete and win. For us to take our game to the next level, we need to show that consistency and turn in performances like Saturday’s on a weekly basis.

    “That’s all part of growing as a tea,” ‘Well’s number 15 added. “Those performances breed confidence, and now we need to be focused on the next league games to finish as high up the table as we can.”

  • First team

    Robinson: The boys look sharp

    Stephen Robinson is eager to see his side go on a good run of form as the season draws to a close.

    In the first post-split match on Saturday, the Steelmen travel to Dingwall on the back of a historic Scottish Cup semi final win over Aberdeen.

    And the manager has been impressed with his players reactions this week in training.

    “We’ve trained well and the boys look really sharp,” the Northern Irishman said. “Everyone is fighting for places now so the intensity hasn’t dropped at all.

    “Sometimes you can get complacent, but that certainly hasn’t happened this week.”

    He added: “First and foremost we need the points to guarantee our safety. By no means will we be throwing any towel in and waiting just for the cup final, you can’t do that.

    “Players need to play football. It’s all well and good resting people and trying to save them, but we want to win the next five games and go in to the final in really good form.”

  • Club

    Motherwell enter partnership with Ticketmaster

    Motherwell Football Club have entered a partnership with Ticketmaster which will see the company become our official ticketing partner.

    From the start of the 2018/19 season, Ticketmaster will provide ticketing technology, a fully-branded Motherwell ticketing site, plus a range of services including access control, client and customer support.

    In addition, Ticketmaster will also manage ticket allocations for any future Hampden Park events from 2018/19 onwards.

    The agreement will allow supporters to continue to buy match tickets at the stadium as before but also benefit from being able to buy and print in advance online. There will be no booking fees applied for home matches or season tickets.

    Alan Burrows, the club’s chief executive, said of the news: “We are pleased to welcome Ticketmaster as our official ticketing partners.

    “We recognised that there was a pressing need for Motherwell FC to modernise how supporters could purchase their tickets, both for attending matches and also season tickets.

    “A survey of Well Society members earlier this year told us that 75% believed the current ticketing system at the club was not fit for purpose. Furthermore, 73% told us they would like the ability to buy their tickets either on their computers or using their smartphones.

    “Entering this agreement with Ticketmaster allows us to meet the expectations of our fans.

    “We will also be modernising how supporters get into Fir Park. We will migrate from the traditional season book to season cards, as well as using electronic scanners handled by our turnstile operators. We will release more information on this in due course but fans shouldn’t experience any drastic difference in how they enter the stadium.”

    Information on season ticket pricing for the 2018/19 season will be announced shortly.

    Chris Belt, Ticketmaster Sport business development director, added: “We’re delighted to be working with Motherwell FC and to provide them with best-in-class technology and services.

    “We look forward to what will undoubtedly be an exciting new season for the club and its fans.”

  • Club

    The career of Keith MacRae

    The career of Keith MacRae

    I remember it as if it was yesterday. Saturday, 21st August 1968 was a lovely summer’s day in North Lanarkshire where most of the locals were excited at the prospect of rolling up to Fir Park to take in a league match for the first time in four months. It was also a very special day indeed for myself. I was seven years old, and my Motherwell supporting Dad had decided to help me avoid the “pitfalls” I was dangerously close to falling into, in my Glasgow community.

    On the back of the Fir Park side being relegated, he saw it as the perfect opportunity to introduce me to this very special football club which seemed a million miles removed from the two which all my friends supported. It was also the day that Keith Alexander MacRae came into my life, and do you know what, he’s never really left it.

    My dad sat me on the wee white wall that used to surround Fir Park, and for the first time I saw a Motherwell team run out one by one on to Fir Park, resplendent in their claret and amber kit.

    As good as the players looked, it was the guy in an all green kit who came out second in line, with a shock of almost afro ginger hair that really caught my imagination.

    MacRae, Whiteford, Wark, Donnelly, McCallum, Muir, Campbell, Forsyth, Deans, McInally and Wilson, a team etched in my memory. So awestruck was I, that the opponents could have been anybody. As it happens, it was Albion Rovers who would be steam rolled seven goals to nil.

    The dream competitive debut for Keith was in stark contrast to his first appearance three weeks earlier. MacRae, who had only just signed on at Fir Park as a part timer, due to him also training to be a journalist with the Scottish Daily Express, was selected to play against Tranmere Rovers in a friendly.

    Sadly, he was injured within a couple of minutes, to be replaced between the sticks by Joe Wark. Although “Josie” went on to keep a clean sheet in the 2-0 win, secured by two goals from youngster Jim “Jumbo” Muir, it was a less than auspicious start for the ‘keeper who would go on to be one of the brightest talents this club had ever seen.

    Despite the unfortunate injury, Keith kept his place in the side for the first nine league and league cup ties which returned five wins and three defeats, all by a single goal. His tenth appearance for the club came in the penultimate league cup sectional tie up in Montrose, incredibly, as a left midfielder. Whatever manager Bobby Howitt was thinking, it worked to a degree. Keith MacRae prodded the ball home at the far stick to score his first goal in Motherwell colours, although it wasn’t enough to stop the “Gable Endies” winning 2-1 to end the Fir Parkers interest in the cup for another year.

    Howitt tried the same trick again in Paisley a few days later with MacRae taking his position in the outfield, but again it only contributed to a defeat, as the Buddies ran out comfortable winners 2-0. After the Love Street loss, Keith picked up an injury that hampered him and he was nowhere to be seen either in the green goalkeeper kit or the amber outfield kit, his places taken by Peter McCloy and Jackie McInally respectively, until February.

    When he did reappear, again on the left side of midfield, he did so with another goal in a four goal romp at home to Alloa, which was the club’s twentieth league victory in twenty three outings as Motherwell closed in on a record breaking championship win.

    The following 1969/70 season saw Keith rather playing second fiddle to Peter McCloy who was nicknamed the “Girvan Lighthouse”, save a start and a substitute appearance, both at left midfield against Dundee United and Hearts respectively.

    Of course this was the campaign which featured an epic league cup quarter final tie with Morton. Having been taken apart down at the tail o’ the bank to the tune of 3-0, the Steelmen were written off, but no one told the players as goals from Jumbo Muir, McInally and Tam Forsyth at Fir Park earned a replay at Ibrox.

    Injuries would mean that Keith MacRae would play at right back as Motherwell edged a titanic struggle, with Muir firing home four minutes from time to earn a Hampden Park date with a cracking St. Johnstone team.

    That occasion would be a disappointment to ‘Well, Keith, and a certain seven year old kid who witnessed his first, and certainly not last, semi final defeat.

    Within a month, Keith had reclaimed his place between the sticks, with McCloy playing reserve team football. A few weeks later at New Year, I remember vividly sitting in our living room and watching the sports reporter blurt out the line I had grown to dread. “Rangers have concluded a transfer deal for Motherwell goalkeeper…” My heart sank, I was devastated… “Peter McCloy.” I cheered. My hero was staying at Fir Park.

    MacRae’s first game as Motherwell’s undisputed number one came at home to Ayr United in a ‘Well side that contained the “makeweights” in the deal that took McCloy to Govan, Bobby Watson and Brian Heron. Both of these guys would soon be adored by the Fir Park faithful as they looked to rebuild their careers from the limited opportunities they got at Rangers. In that first game, they certainly got off to a flyer with the Steelmen securing a 3-0 win with a terrific display capped with goals from Deans, Heron and Wark, with MacRae celebrating his newfound status with a well-deserved clean sheet.

    Another great cup-tie of that season saw Kilmarnock roll up Airbles Road in the Scottish Cup quarter finals. A crowd of almost 17,000 witnessed a breathtaking display from visiting ‘keeper Sandy McLaughlin to keep the Steelmen at bay, before Ross Mathie beat MacRae with a powerful header to send the Ayrshire side through to a Hampden semi.

    By the end of the campaign, newly promoted Motherwell were safely tucked up in mid table as manager Howitt succeeded in his primary task of avoiding the drop. That close season was a difficult one for Keith as he underwent a bone graft operation on his wrist which had been giving him some discomfort. The club moved in that summer to get cover for MacRae, and signed ex-Rangers goalie Billy Ritchie from Partick Thistle.

    Ritchie began the season with the gloves while Keith was still recovering from his injury, and played in all six league cup sectional games before MacRae made his first appearance as the league got under way, with a 4-1 hammering of Kilmarnock at Fir Park. It would be a successful season for the young keeper as he earned ten clean sheets, playing in all 34 league games. He also came, for the first time, to the attention of the big English clubs with his displays in the inaugural Texaco Cup in this season.

    Motherwell were drawn against Stoke City in the first round, who had the world’s best goalkeeper in their side, Gordon Banks. A terrific display from Banks in the first leg kept his side in the tie with John Goldthorpe scoring the only goal in an enthralling match at Fir Park.

    In the return at the Victoria Ground, it was Keith MacRae’s turn to impress the punters, as he produced an almost faultless display which afterwards drew admiration from the legendary Banks. The second leg finished 2-1 to Stoke City after extra time, which left us with a penalty shoot out to determine the winners. Keith MacRae emerged from the Potteries that night as a Motherwell hero, making two terrific saves to send the Steelmen through to meet Tottenham Hotspur in the quarters.

    The Spurs side, packed with superstars, edged the first leg at White Hart Lane 3-2, leaving ‘Well hopeful for the return at Fir Park. The atmosphere that night was red hot as the Fir Park fans looked to help unsettle the big names from down south.

    Martin Chivers and Brian Heron had exchanged goals in a first half that left the 22,500 fans inside the old ground breathless. The second half would be even better as MacRae pulled off a wonder save that some fans still talk about today, to deny Alan Gilzean. Minutes later, Fir Park erupted as goals from Bobby Watson and Tom Donnelly secured the 5-4 win on aggregate.

    The semi final would prove to be a disappointment though when MacRae picked up an injury which kept him out of the second leg at Fir Park, and Hearts scrambled a last gasp winner to take the spot in the final and leave the ‘Well fans in the 25,000 crowd stunned.

    Such was his performances over this period, Keith MacRae was deservedly called into the full Scotland squad for the end of season British Home International Championships as under study to Aberdeen’s Bobby Clark. Sadly for Keith, this would be as close as he’d ever get to gaining a full cap for his country, although he did represent the Scottish League.

    Season 1971/72 started well again for Keith and his mates, with decent results over the first fourteen league games, and an international call up for Keith to the Scotland Under 23 setup. However, it all went a little pear shaped one afternoon at Firhill, which no-one saw coming.

    MacRae picked up an injury early on and struggled throughout as the Jags ran eight goals by him. MacRae’s season was finished, bar three outings in February, which brought three clean sheets. It was an interesting season for Motherwell keepers, with no less than six occupants of our goals, McRae, Ritchie, a young Tommy Burns and experienced John Fallon all started games. Joe Wark and fellow outfield player, Davie Main had also taken over as ‘keeper following injuries during matches.

    MacRae started the following season again on the treatment table, as Billy Ritchie took over the goalkeeping duties. It was mid-September before Keith was ready, making his return in a 2-2 draw at Muirton Park against St. Johnstone.

    Another nine clean sheets from MacRae helped the Steelmen improve their league position again in a season where Bobby Howitt had resigned following some disaffection from the Fir Park terraces. The eighth place finish was the best the club had achieved since the hey days of the Ancell Babes.

    By the time the new season began, several teams in England were showing a marked interest in MacRae, which heightened with nine clean sheets in the first seventeen games. In retrospect it was an epic League Cup quarter final tie against Celtic which proved irresistible to the sky blue half of Manchester. Keith MacRae turned in three performances like a Motherwell ‘keeper has rarely produced, as the Steelmen went toe to toe with the Glasgow giants.

    The first leg at Fir Park saw Celtic win 2-1, with John Goldthorpe inches away from earning a draw with a pile driver that crashed off the underside of the bar, before bouncing clear late on.

    The second leg would be a historic one for Motherwell, as we won at Celtic park for the first time in twenty three years, the first win of any kind over the Hoops in fourteen attempts. Goldthorpe again was the hero for the Steelmen, picking up the ball in his own half before powering a fantastic drive into the net to put the visitors one up.

    Midway through the second half, Keith MacRae produced a simply stunning save from a George Connolly penalty which secured a replay for Motherwell. MacRae only played one more game for the Steelmen, a 2-1 home defeat to Partick Thistle, before Manchester City arrived at Fir Park with a cheque for £100,000.

    It was too good an offer to turn down and Keith headed to Maine Road, finally clutching a full time contract with the blessing of everyone at the club, leaving manager Ian St. John to turn to Falkirk reserve ‘keeper, Stuart Rennie, to fill the huge gap left in the Motherwell rearguard. Motherwell lost the next game against Ayr United, with a certain Alex Ferguson heading the winner.

    Keith MacRae was one of the most remarkable players ever to play for this club, with his ability to play every position on the field. He is without doubt the most agile and athletic ‘keeper I’ve ever seen at Fir Park, which he probably had to be given that he wasn’t the tallest of custodians.

    He exuded a confidence in dominating his penalty box, collecting crosses with consummate ease before often sparking a counter attack, the first goalie I ever saw do this.

    But it is probably his shot stopping, which at times bordered on the truly ridiculous, allied with his iconic all black kit which I recall most vividly. In the end, Keith may only have turned out 119 times for the Steelmen, scoring twice, but to fans of a certain age he remains an absolute legend of this club.

    Had I not taken such a shine to him that afternoon almost fifty years ago, I might have been writing for an Old Firm audience instead, and that just wouldn’t have felt right.

    Eddie Ferguson


  • Club

    Alan Burrows promoted to chief executive

    Alan Burrows promoted to chief executive

    The board of Motherwell Football Club is delighted to announce Alan Burrows has been promoted to the role of chief executive.

    The 35-year old has worked with the club for over a decade, having been communications manager for seven years, before promotions to general manager and most recently, chief operating officer.

    The decision was taken to reflect Alan’s daily duties and responsibilities within his job title.

    “Alan is a dedicated and innovative individual whose main driving force is his desire to see the club progress,” chairman Jim McMahon said.

    “It is invigorating to work with him, a view I know is shared by everyone at Motherwell.

    “He has been a key factor in the success the club has had since its move to fan ownership.”

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    Highlights as Under 20s beat Partick Thistle

    Watch as Adam Livingstone’s first half strike secures all three point for Stephen Craigan’s youngsters.

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    Pleased with dominant performance

    Under 20s boss Stephen Craigan reflects on his side’s 1-0 victory over Partick Thistle in the Development League.

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    U20s: Motherwell 1 – 0 Partick Thistle

    Motherwell Under 20s recorded a well-deserved victory against Partick Thistle in the Development League.

    Despite creating a hatful of chances, the youngsters only managed to win by a solitary goal against the struggling Glasgow side.

    The youngsters controlled the majority of their clash at Forthbank Stadium and nearly found the back of the net after just five minutes.

    As the ball fell nicely on the edge of the box, Davie Turnbull flashed an effort towards the far post on the bounce, but it flashed wide.

    James Scott went closer elven minutes later when he anticipated a great run and cutback from strike partner Alfredo Agyeman, but the former saw his instinctive prod rebound off the post and in to Thistle keeper Jamie Stevenson’s grateful arms.

    The breakthrough finally arrived eight minutes before the interval.

    Shea Gordon found Scott with a decent ball in to the box but the ball ricocheted off a Thistle defender before falling for Livingstone at the back post. Motherwell’s number three made no mistake, thundering home from a tight angle to give the Steelmen a deserved lead.

    The second half brought with it a lot more action, as ‘Well dominated the visiting Jags but couldn’t muster a well-deserved second goal.

    Livingstone nearly grabbed his second of the game with a stunning effort, but it was matched by a stunning save from Stevenson, whose fingertips denied the defender from finding the top corner in style.

    That moment sparked a five-minute frenzy in which the Glasgow outfit somehow stayed within one goal of their far superior hosts.

    It was Livingstone involved again, who on another day may have had a hattrick. The youngster crashed the bar with another effort off his left foot, but it looked set for Shaun Bowers to finish on the rebound, but his low drive towards the bottom corner was turned off the line by the backtracking Lee Duncanson.

    A few minutes later, there were huge calls for a penalty as Gordon found himself bundled to the deck as he shaped for a shot on goal from eight yards, but the referee waved play on. The ball was half-cleared only as far as Liam Brown, who whipped a right-footed effort towards the top corner, beating the keeper but also the post as it flew wide.

    The Fir Park youngsters saw out the majority of the game comfortably, and looked to have doubled their lead right at the death. From a Turnbull corner, Jordan Armstrong got up well to nod beyond Stevenson but he was deemed to have fouled the stopper in the process.

    Turnbull went close with a header a minute later, but again Stevenson kept out his former teammates on an evening when it should have been a lot more than just 1-0.

  • Women

    Women’s team back with a win

    Andrew Scott at Petershill Park

    Motherwell showed their fighting spirit on Sunday as they came back from 2-0 down to win 6-2 against Glasgow Girls at Petershill Park in Glasgow.

    It’s a result that sees the Steelwomen shoot to the top of the SWPL2 table, after a recent break from competitive action.

    The women of steel found themselves 2-0 down after half an hour thanks to goals from Lauren Evans and Rachel Halliday.

    Evans put the hosts ahead after converting a one on one against Claire Johnstone in the Motherwell goal. Things would then go from bad to worse for the girls in claret and amber, when Halliday doubled Glasgow’s lead by finishing off a long ball into the box.

    The month-long break was evident in the Motherwell side due to the uncharacteristically poor start to the game, but captain Suzanne Mulvey’s goal sprung the ‘Well back into life and kick started the comeback.

    The equalising goal would come from Hayley Cunningham, who proved herself to be a dead ball specialist after hitting a rocket into the top right corner from just outside the box.

    The sides would go into the break level pegging after an end to end first half, but the second half showcased what the Motherwell side were really capable of.

    After a physical first ten minutes, Motherwell were ahead for the first time of the match. Caitlin Russell found space on the left-hand side of the pitch and drilled her shot low and hard into the net.

    Following the goal, it was Glasgow Girls who seemed the more dangerous side with numerous chances, but it would be the Steelwomen who would strike a fatal blow to their chances of getting something from the game.

    Motherwell would strike twice in a matter of minutes. Firstly, Kirsty McLaughlin found herself in space and lifted the ball over the onrushing keeper and into the net. And then Cunningham added another to her tally for the day from a free kick from some way out, which struck a defender and spun into the net.

    The hosts tried to fight their way back into it but ‘Well would add more misery to the hosts by striking their sixth and final goal just before full time. Sammy Hare was played in on goal and she calmly slotted home to round off a superb second half performance from Motherwell.

    Victory for ‘Well sends them top of SWPL2, next up for the ladies is St Johnstone at home on Sunday, 22 April.

  • First team

    Motherwell face Celtic in cup final

    Motherwell face Celtic in cup final

    Motherwell will play Celtic in the final of the 2017/18 William Hill Scottish Cup.

    The Scottish champions side defeated their Glasgow rivals Rangers 4-0 at Hampden Park in the second semi final of the weekend.

    They will now take on Motherwell following the Steelmen’s emphatic 3-0 Saturday win over Aberdeen at the national stadium.

    It will be the first time the sides have met in the competition since the 2010/11 final, when Celtic ran out 3-0 winners.

    The final will take place at Hampden on Saturday, 19 May with a 3pm kick off. Ticket information will be announced as soon as possible.