Latest News

  • First team

    A win taken away late on // Hibernian 2-2 Motherwell

  • First team

    Brodie Spencer returns to Huddersfield Town

  • First team

    Hibernian 2-2 Motherwell

  • First team

    Stuart Kettlewell reacts to Hibernian draw

  • First team

    Pape Souare departs

  • First team

    Breaking the cycle // Motherwell 3-1 Livingston

  • Women

    Laura McCartney: Making up for lost time

  • First team

    Kicking off 2024

  • First team

    Stuart Kettlewell reacts to victory over Livingston

  • First team

    Motherwell 2-0 Livingston

  • First team

    A win taken away late on // Hibernian 2-2 Motherwell

    With the festive season almost over, Motherwell had one last game before the winter shutdown, a trip to Easter Road to face Hibernian. 

    With only 12 senior players available, it was a slow start for the Steelmen who after continued pressure from the hosts, eventually went behind thanks to a Ellie Youan goal for Hibernian.

    But Motherwell showed their steel once again. Theo Bair drew the sides level as he made it three goals in two games.

    Bevis Mugabi nodded his side ahead, turning the game on it’s head in the process. The Motherwell backline had to remain robust from 64 minutes on, and looked to have achieved their task of holding on as we entered stoppage time.

    But it was late heartbreak for the ‘Well as Youan made it a double in the 92nd minute of the match, as both teams had to settle for a point.

  • First team

    Brodie Spencer returns to Huddersfield Town

    Brodie Spencer returns to Huddersfield Town

    Brodie Spencer has returned to his parent club Huddersfield Town. 

    Spencer joined on loan in the summer. Although the deal was initially for the full season, Huddersfield have recalled the Northern Irishman.

    “The loan market has been important in our recruitment this season and Brodie’s has been a very successful one for both player and club,” manager Stuart Kettlewell said.

    “We’re, of course, disappointed to lose Brodie earlier than initially anticipated but full understand the decision made by Huddersfield.

    “Brodie made a real impact in his time here and gained valuable game time and experience, which has got him back into the Northern Ireland setup also.

    “I want to thank Huddersfield for their co-operation and sincerely wish Brodie the very best for the rest of the season.”

    The 19-year-old made 18 appearances this campaign and was a regular in Stuart Kettlewell’s starting lineups since his arrival.

    “I want to thank everyone at Motherwell for all the help and support during my time at the club,” Brodie Spencer added.

    “It’s been such a great experience and I believe I’m a better player for my time up in Scotland. I wish the club, the supporters and everyone involved all the best for the future.”

    We thank Brodie for his efforts in his time at Fir Park and wish him well for the future.

  • First team

    Hibernian 2-2 Motherwell

    Hibernian 2-2 Motherwell

    Motherwell went into the winter break with a 2-2 draw at Easter Road.

    Goals from Theo Bair and Bevis Mugabi had the Steelmen heading for three points but Elie Youan’s strike in stoppage time saw the game end in a draw.

    Hibs had most of the ball in the opening half-hour and took a deserved lead in the 28th minute.

    Youan and Tavares looked threatening on both wings with the former getting his reward as he cut in past McGinn and fired past Kelly.

    Hibs almost doubled their advantage when Christian Doidge spun inside the box but Liam Kelly was equal to his shot with a strong hand.

    Motherwell had failed to threaten the Hibs goal but a moment of magic from Mika Biereth and Theo Bair created an equaliser.

    A throw-in from the left found Biereth and his clever reverse pass found the onrushing Bair who made it three goals in his last two games.

    Moments later Callum Slattery nearly gave the visitors the lead as Harry Paton’s shot was beaten out by Marshall, straight at the Englishman but the ball rebounded off his knee and safely into the goalkeeper’s hands.

    From there neither goalkeeper was troubled as Motherwell soaked up pressure and looked to break on the counter attack but just lacked the final killer ball into space.

    In the 68th minute the Steelmen went ahead.

    Blair Spittal’s free-kick was headed as far as Stephen O’Donnell who headed the ball back into the danger area. His header found Mika Biereth who claimed his second assist of the game as Bevis Mugabi powered his header into the net.

    Hibs kept looking for a reply and nearly found one as substitute Lewis Stevenson saw his effort comes crashing off the bar.

    At that point it almost looked to be Motherwell’s day but as the game entered stoppage time the home side drew level.

    A harmless ball into the box wasn’t properly cleared and Elie Youan – via a deflection from Bevis Mugabi – fired into the net to claim what was probably a fair result but a frustrating one as Motherwell look to climb the table.

    ‘Well now go into the winter break and prepare to take on Alloa Athletic in the Scottish Cup with the action resumes.

  • First team

    Stuart Kettlewell reacts to Hibernian draw

    Stuart Kettlewell’s thoughts after his side drew 2-2 with Hibernian.]

    • A clearance away from three points
    • Showed massive personality in last two games
    • Using the break to get players back
  • First team

    Pape Souare departs

    Pape Souare departs

    Pape Souare has departed the club following the expiry of his contract. 

    The Senegalese international made six appearances in his time at Motherwell and is recovering from a serious ankle injury with associated fracture sustained in October.

    We thank Pape for his efforts and wish him well for his recovery and future.

  • First team

    Breaking the cycle // Motherwell 3-1 Livingston

    Their last win came against Hearts on 3 September and the pressure had been mounting for the Steelmen to get their first win in 15 attempts. 

    Bottom of the table Livingston were their last opportunity in 2023 to do so, and they grabbed the opportunity with both hands.

    A commanding first half performance seen Blair Spittal and Theo Bair find the back of the net and the ‘Well 3-1 up going into the break.

    Conditions worsened in the second half that seen very little action but Stuart Kettlewell won’t care, as his side moved up to 8th in the table with the 3-1 win.

  • Women

    Laura McCartney: Making up for lost time

    Laura McCartney: Making up for lost time

    Making the switch to ML1 in the summer of 2021, then Rangers loanee Laura McCartney had the world at her feet after breaking into the Ibrox first-team and consistent appearances on the international stage, but a serious injury sidelined the midfielder throughout her spell in Lanarkshire.

    Looking for consistency at the domestic level, McCartney signed on a season-long loan deal with ambitions of establishing her place at the core of the Motherwell midfield, but a major injury sustained prior to her debut in claret and amber left the youngster on the sidelines for over two-years.

    “I was returning from an ACL injury at the time,” McCartney explained.

    “After returning from such a long period on the sidelines, I was looking to get back to a regular playing and training regime and Motherwell seemed the perfect place to be able to do that.

    “After suffering an ACL injury previously, I was really excited to move to Motherwell and get back to playing football. For that to be curtailed with another stint on the sidelines with a cartilage injury was disappointing.”

    McCartney’s highly-anticipated move to Lanarkshire proved to be a challenging process, as the combination of historical and fresh injury concerns left McCartney to face an extensive and unpredictable spell on the sidelines.

    “At first, it was difficult to give an exact time frame,” McCartney outlined.

    “With it being a cartilage injury, I knew that I would ultimately be on the sidelines for another long spell. Having already been through that experience and come back from an ACL injury, it was obviously really difficult to take.”

    Despite having not featured for Paul Brownlie’s side across the following two seasons, the Head Coaches faith in McCartney’s ability persisted, with the 21-year-old signing on a permanent basis ahead of the 2023/24 SWPL campaign.

    “It was really encouraging,” McCartney noted.

    “At the time it was really important for me to be able to return to play but not in a rushed manner. Paul and the rest of the coaching staff as well as the team were great in being able to facilitate that for myself and eventually get me back onto the pitch.

    “Ultimately, it is about working hard and having a positive impact on the game. When I’m given the opportunity, I always try to have an impact by working hard, sticking to the game plan and creating opportunities that will hopefully be capitalised on.”

    After 855 days on the sidelines, McCartney returned to action against her former side in September, before re-introducing herself back to the K-Park faithful with an exceptional long-range strike in a prolific six-goal thriller over Dundee United.

    “It was really special,” McCartney said.

    “To see former teammates and staff that helped me through the process of getting back onto the pitch was great and to finally make a contribution to the team was a long time coming.

    “Having not experienced that feeling for such a long time, you almost forget what it feels like. For that strike to hit the back of the net, it was a really special moment for me.”

    The women of steel will return to competitive action next weekend, as the Scottish Cup returns to the domestic calendar, with Paul Brownlie’s side looking to replicate their successes of the previous season.

    Motherwell etched themselves into the history books by becoming one of the first women’s sides to contest a domestic cup Semi-Final at Hampden Park after a comprehensive four-goal victory over Glasgow Women in the previous round.

    Forced to watch from the sidelines, McCartney is motivated to reclaim the lost experience at the national stadium.

    “The team did well last year to be able to make it to that stage of the competition,” McCartney explained.

    “To be able to do it with the group of players that we have now, it would be special and ultimately it would be great to be able to have the opportunity to continue to compete for silverware.

    “Having missed out on the opportunity last season, I’m focused and motivated to get back to that stage and experience playing at the national stadium.”

  • First team

    Kicking off 2024

    Kicking off 2024

    Motherwell travel to Easter Road to take on Hibernian on Tuesday 2 January. 

    Kick off is 3pm.

    How to follow the game
    Away Stand
    Adults £26
    Over 65/full-time students £16
    Under 18s £14
    Under 13s (with full playing adult) £12

    Tickets can be purchased online.

    This game for supporters is hidden on the main eticketing website and can only be accessed through the above link. We advise supporters to ensure they have created an account with Hibernian FC first, before then attempting to purchase tickets. Supporters can register by clicking here.

    Supporters will need to create an account on the single sign on platform, verify their email and then click back in through the link again to access the matchday tickets. Tickets will only be available as etickets.

    If you are outside the UK, you can watch the game via Motherwell TV.

    Should you be in the UK, it will be live commentary only.

    Kit Watch

    We will be wearing our home kit for this match.

    Injury Update

    Dan Casey and Lennon Miller will be missing for this match.

    Shane Blaney and Oli Shaw came off against Livingston with suspected hamstring injuries, they will be assessed ahead of this match.

    Motherwell’s Fortunes

    It was a long awaited three points for the Steelmen on Saturday, with Theo Bair netting a double and Blair Spittal breaking the deadlock against Livingston. A comfortable 3-1 win earned Motherwell their first win since September, and moved them up to 8th in the table.

    The two sides met on the second game of the season at Fir Park, when a certain Mika Biereth introduced himself to the Motherwell supporters with a superb 30 minute cameo which involved an assist for Conor Wilkinson’s opener and a goal to help his time to a 2-1 win.

    Opposition Report

    Hibernian weren’t in action prior to the New Year, with their last match coming on Wednesday 27 December against City rivals Hearts.

    A late Lawrence Shankland goal sank the Hibees, after Martin Boyle missed from the penalty spot earlier in the match.

    Currently sixth in the table, their last win was a 1-0 victory over Livingston at the start of December.

    The goals have very much been coming from the attacking options for Nick Montgomery’s side, with Martin Boyle and Elie Youan on seven for the season and Dylan Vente on six a piece. Boyle and Liam Miller won’t be playing due to international duty with Australia.

  • First team

    Stuart Kettlewell reacts to victory over Livingston

    Stuart Kettlewell reacts to victory over Livingston

    Stuart Kettlewell spoke after his team’s 3-1 win over Livingston.

    •Positive start

    • Not achieved anything yet

    • Looking ahead to Tuesday 

  • First team

    Motherwell 2-0 Livingston

    Motherwell 2-0 Livingston

    A double from Theo Bair and a Blair Spittal strike secured Motherwell’s first win since September. 

    The three first-half strikes ensured a 3-1 win and three points for the Steelmen to round off 2023.

    Stuart Kettlewell’s faith in his players and especially Thoe Bair was repaid in some style.

    A superb first half and opening spell found the Steelmen two up inside the first 20 minutes with goals from Blair Spittal and Theo Bair. And although Scott Pittman pulled one back, a sensational solo effort from Bair restored ‘Well’s two goal advantage at the interval.

    While Livingston had the bulk of the chances in the second half, for once the Fir Park men’s impressive first forty-five and solid second half were enough to secure a long over due win.

    The ‘Well boss made two attack minded changes, providing Bair and Oli Shaw with a starting place along side Mika Biereth. At the heart of the home defence Paul McGinn, after coming on as a substitute last week, was deemed fit enough, minus his protective face mask, to make a full return since dislocating his jaw against Kilmarnock in early November.

    It took only 20 seconds for the home side show their intent.

    Straight from the kick-off Shane Blaney fired the ball towards the Livi box and after Biereth cut the ball back, Bair’ shot was deflected just wide of the post.

    A few minutes later Georgie Gent cross from the left found Bair but his shot was parried clear by Shamal George.

    Another burst down the left and cross from Gent forced Ayo Obileye to head clear from almost under his own cross bar as the visitor’s goal came under incessant attack.

    And the home side were duly rewarded after 14 minutes.

    Biereth stole possession at the edge of the box to set up Bair 12 yards from goal. But rather than shot he passed the ball inside to Spittal who slide the ball beyond the stranded ‘keeper.

    Five minutes later the favour was reciprocated. Spittal sent the ball towards the Livi box and as George raced from his line Bair dinked the ball past the ‘keeper and into the empty net for a fine finish.

    Nothing was seen of Livingston in the home penalty area until they pulled a goal back after 23 minutes. Christian Montano floated the ball towards the penalty spot and Pittman swivelled to volley the ball past Liam Kelly for another impressive finish.

    That gave the West Lothian a boost as the confidently gained possession in the Motherwell half.

    However, it was short lived as Bair conjured up a wonderful third goal. Biereth sent a low ball down the right channel inviting the ‘Well striker to race into the box with Mickey Devlin. A quick turn left the Livi defender on his backside before Bair with a sublime touch clipped the ball past George.

    It might have been a fabulous, if fortuitous, first half hat-trick for Bair after Oli Shaw’s downward header rebounded from his heel before trundling over the line, but on this occasion, VAR wasn’t required to confirm that Bair was offside.

    Bevis Mugabi replaced Blaney just in time to see the ‘Well goal have a narrow escape. Bruce Anderson cut in from the left holding off Stephen O’Donnell and squeeze his shot past Kelly, only for the ball to rebound off the post and back to the grounded ‘keeper.

    Shaw’s injury after 57 minutes gave Callum Slattery a solid half hour to make an impression on the game.

    Instead, though, it was the Lions who looked more likely to reduce the leeway as a couple of headed efforts sent the ball racing wide of Kelly’s goal.

    With 15 minutes remaining David Martindale’s men appeared to have lost their momentum as the Steelmen regained their attacking threat.

    Another run and layoff from Biereth gave Bair a chance of claiming a deserved hat-trick for hi overall performance, inleading the line. Once again he held the ball up for Slattery who lost possession at the edge of the box before he could get his shot away.

    The failure to make it four and even the torrential downpour couldn’t dampen the appreciation of the ‘Well fans as they stood to applaud the players at full time.