Latest News

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    McManus: We were professional

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    Stranraer U20s 0 – 11 Motherwell U20s

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    Motherwell in Youth Cup action

  • Women

    Women’s team in first home match

  • First team

    Highlights: Motherwell 0 – 1 Kilmarnock

  • First team

    Players react to Kilmarnock defeat

  • First team

    Robinson: Not a lot wrong

  • First team

    Motherwell 0 – 1 Kilmarnock

  • First team

    Meet Çiftçi and Bigirimana

  • First team

    Aldred hails ‘Well’s will to win

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    McManus: We were professional

    Stephen McManus hailed the professional attitude of the Under 20s after they secured an 11-0 victory over Stranraer.

    The assistant manager was pleased to see his side come away with the win on an afternoon they showed a ruthlessness at both ends of the pitch.

    Speaking at full time, McManus reflected on the convincing fourth round performance.

    “The boys were terrific and I thought they were very professional in the way they went about their business,” the former Scotland captain said.

    “We spoke to the boys ahead of kick off and asked for a few things from them today which, sure enough, they delivered.

    “The boys up front maybe haven’t shown that ruthlessness in front of goal that is needed to break through that barrier and get into the first-team plans, but today they showed that.

    “When you play a side that are not in the division as you, you have to be very competitive in both boxes to ensure you come away with the win.”

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    Stranraer U20s 0 – 11 Motherwell U20s

    Motherwell cruised into fifth round of the Scottish FA Youth Cup with an 11-0 victory against Stranraer.

    James Scott and Alfredo Agyeman partnered each other up front for Stephen Craigan’s side, and the pair both bagged hat tricks in Cumnock.

    The youngsters also had goalkeeper PJ Morrison to thank for keeping a clean sheet, with his penalty save after just two minutes denying the hosts.

    It was ‘Well centre back Barry Maguire who opened the scoring. A short corner was laid off to Hastie, who curled his cross towards the back post where Maguire was on hand to head home.

    It took until the 25th minute before ‘Well had their second. Jordan Armstrong clipped a lovely ball over the Stranraer defence for Scott, who burst through and slipped the ball through keeper Ryan McLaren’s legs.

    A minute later, it was three. Agyeman grabbed his first of the game with a composed finish, cutting inside from the right and slotting in to the far corner.

    The Italian turned provider in the 29th minute, bursting towards the byline and cutting back for Scott inside the six-yard box, who had an easy finish for his second of the game.

    It was four at the break for the Steelmen, who then came out for the second half in style and with one change of personnel, with Jamie Semple replacing Shaun Bowers.

    Six minutes after the restart, David Turnbull made it five with arguably the goal of the game.

    Pulling the ball out of the air with a lovely first touch, the midfielder chopped his way past two defenders before finding the side netting with a lovely left-footed finish from just inside the box.

    Hastie got in on the action with an easy header just four minutes later. But it was the work from Kyle MacDonald down the right-hand side that created the goal.

    Beating his man, the youngster sent a pinpoint cross on to Hastie’s head, who made no mistake from inside the box.

    Semple provided a neat assist for Agyeman just two minutes later, rolling the ball through for the speedy forward, who slotted beyond McLaren to make it seven.

    Reece McAlear was introduced to the fold just before the hour mark, replacing Turnbull at Townhead Park.

    In the 62nd minute, Scott had his hat trick and it was another easy finish. McAlear threaded Hastie in down the left, and the winger cut back for Scott to tap home from three yards.

    Ten minutes later, Agyeman followed suit. Having missed a couple of half-decent chances, the forward made no mistake when he rounded the keeper with great composure before rolling the ball in to the empty net.

    McAlear scored his first goal for the under 20s when he fired home from Agyeman’s cut back, making it ten for Stephen Craigan’s side.

    The afternoon’s scoring was then rounded off by Agyeman, who received the ball after some clever work down the left flank, opened his body and finished confidently past McLaren.

    Just before full time, Stranraer’s John Mitchell was given his marching orders for a bad tacle on Agyeman.

    Kilmarnock lie in wait in the next round for the young Steelmen.

    Motherwell U20s: 1. PJ Morrison, 2. Shaun Bowers, 3. Jordan Armstrong, 4. Dylan King, 5. Barry Maguire, 6. Kyle MacDonald, 7. Jake Hastie, 8. Davie Turnbull, 9. Alfredo Agyeman, 11. James Scott, 14. Liam Brown

    Subs: 12. Jamie Semple, 15. Jack Brown, 16. Reece McAlear

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    Motherwell in Youth Cup action

    Motherwell face Stranraer on Sunday in their long-awaited Scottish FA Youth Cup tie.

    The fourth round tie is being played at Townhead Park in Cumnock. Kick off is at 1.15pm.

    The winners of the match face a trip to play Kilmarnock in the fifth round of the 2017/18 competition.

  • Women

    Women’s team in first home match

    Motherwell’s women’s team play their first home match of the 2018 SWPL2 season on Sunday, as they host Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale.

    The match is being played at Braidhurst High School in Motherwell. Kick off is at 2pm.

    Eddie Wolecki Black’s side got their campaign off to a winning start last weekend as they defeated Kilmarnock 2-1 at Rugby Park.

  • First team

    Highlights: Motherwell 0 – 1 Kilmarnock

    Watch extended highlights from Fir Park as Motherwell suffer their first home defeat of 2018. 

  • First team

    Players react to Kilmarnock defeat

    Ryan Bowman, Carl McHugh and Elliott Frear spoke after the disappointing 1-0 loss to Kilmarnock in the Ladbrokes Premiership.

  • First team

    Robinson: Not a lot wrong

    Stephen Robinson couldn’t pick many faults with his side as they slumped to their first home defeat of the year.

    The Northern Irishman instead decided to focus on the positives as ‘Well lost narrowly to Steve Clarke’s Killie.

    Reflecting on the 90 minutes at Fir Park, Robinson credited the defensively drilled Ayrshire outfit.

    He said: “There’s not a lot I can say was wrong with the whole performance. But our deliveries and decision-making in the final third could have been better.

    “We’ll take it on the chin and say congratulations to Killie. They got the lead then defended for their lives at points.”

    He added: “But ultimately, we put 30 balls in the box and had 12 corners so we should have made more of that. But there’s positives to take.”

  • First team

    Motherwell 0 – 1 Kilmarnock

    Lewis Irons at Fir Park

    With both teams fighting for a top six place, a single first half strike from local boy Stephen O’Donnell was enough to give Kilmarnock a win and hoist them over Motherwell into sixth spot.

    However, ‘Well’s performance from a hectic start to a frenzied finish merited at least a point as the defensively organised Rugby Park side desperately clung on to their slender lead.

    As the old cliché goes, the Fir Parkers will play a lot worse and win, as every player tirelessly pressed the visitor’s goal for virtually the entire game, without producing a clinical finish their build up play deserved.

    Suspension forced Cedric Kipre to sit out his first game of the season, allowing Elliot Frear to make his first start of the year in an other wise unchanged ’Well.

    In a frantic first 30 minutes, both the home fans and the healthy contingent of 1200 from Ayrshire were entertained with fast open football.

    Kilmarnock were first to threaten after two minutes when Kris Boyd used his experience to turn inside the box before curling short just beyond the post.

    ‘Well responded immediately with three great chances inside the next eight minutes. Firstly Curtis main had his snap shot deflected behind and when Jamie MacDonald spilled Craig Tanner’s corner, Main reacted quickest only to see his effort blocked inside the six yard box.

    Frear, looking lively down the left, then swept in a low cross which Tanner directed narrowly past before Charles Dunne’s long ball was nodded by Main only to be smothered by MacDonald.

    At the other end, Tom Aldred was called upon to block consecutive shots from Stephen O’Donnell and Eamonn Brophy.

    However, most of the play was towards the visitor’s goal as series of crosses stretched the Killie back four.

    With 15 minutes played Dunne’s cross found Main six yards from goal but his header was comfortably held by MacDonald.

    Five minutes later, a quick break down the other wing saw Andy Rose release Chris Cadden and, although his cross eluded the ‘Well front two, Kirk Broadfoot was lucky to see his attempted clearance rattle off the foot of his own post.

    Kilmarnock were perhaps equally fortunate a minute later when Scott Boyd’s tug on Nadir Cifti’s jersey inside the box went unpunished, as the grounded striker appealed for a penalty.

    Main then forced another save from MacDonald before his loose ball led to Kilmarnock’s goal largely against the run of play.

    There looked little danger when O’Donnell took possession of the ball 40-yards out but after a couple of strides towards the home goal the full back hit a sweet grounder just inside Trevor Carson’s right hand post, to give his side a lead to defend.

    That stunned the ‘Well players momentarily but they should have equalised three minutes later. A cute flick from Cifti sent Cadden racing into the box but with Tanner waiting unmarked the Scotland under 21 man drove his shot across and wide of goal.

    Despite being behind at the break the Fir Park men refused to sacrifice their passing game which had Killie pressed into their own half for almost the entire second half.

    And within three minutes of the restart ‘Well came within a foot of deserved equaliser when Aldred met Frear’s inswinging corner only to see his header blocked on the goal line.

    A long ball over the Killie defence found Main out pacing Boyd before volleying the ball narrowly wide of target. From another Frear corner, Carl McHugh’s hooked shot towards goal was deflected behind off the back of a Killie defender as the play towards the visitor’s goal became almost incessant.

    Desperate to breakdown a well disciplined Rugby Park defence, Stephen Robinson committed his three substitutes, but it was the tireless running of Main which continued to pose a problem and there were strong claims for a penalty when he was caught by Scott Boyd as he raced towards the six yard box.

    With 12 minutes remaining, Main’s efforts were almost rewarded when he exchanged passes with Tanner before curling a shot agonisingly beyond the far post. And just before the four minutes of added time, Tanner’s curled corner bounced equally close to the other post.

    In the final minute, and perhaps summing up a frustrating afternoon for ‘Well, MacDonald was booked for time wasting.

  • First team

    Meet Çiftçi and Bigirimana

    The Signing Zone returns to Fir Park on Saturday as the Steelmen host Kilmarnock in the Ladbrokes Premiership. 

    So don’t miss your chance to meet Gaël Bigirimana and January signing Nadir Çiftçi, who will be in the Cooper Bar from 12:45pm ’til 1:15pm ahead of kick off.

    The two will be making their first appearance in the Signing Zone, offering supporters the chance to meet the players, pose for selfies and get their autographs.

    There will be face painting, fun activities and good offers on food and drink in the Cooper Bar ahead of the club’s crucial clash with Killie.

  • First team

    Aldred hails ‘Well’s will to win

    Few will have expected January signing Tom Aldred to have hit the ground running as easily as he has.

    But for ‘Well’s number 19, who is back in Scotland for a second stint, he is feeling settled in his new surroundings at Fir Park.

    “I’m loving it here,” said the January recruit from Bury. “I knew I’d made the right decision after just a few days.

    “The manager, the staff and all the lads are brilliant, it’s just an easy place to feel settled.”

    With the suspension and injury to Peter Hartley, Tom’s arrival could not have come at a better time for manager Stephen Robinson.

    Without the ever-present Hartley, Robinson would be without one of his most important players.

    But 27-year-old Aldred has arrived in Lanarkshire and slotted in alongside Cédric Kipré and Charles Dunne in the Fir Parkers’ back three.

    And in his seven appearances, the defender has kept an impressive four clean sheets.

    “It’s always great for a defender to keep a clean sheet, but it’s just an added bonus because the main thing is to get three points, because that’s the main thing of course.

    “We’ve got a big game coming up against Kilmarnock, and it’s important for a number of reasons.

    “Firstly, to try and put some points between ourselves and Killie. If we can manage to do that it puts us in a strong position for cementing ourselves a place in the top six.

    [pullquote]But on top of that, and most importantly in my opinion, it keeps our winning run going and that can play a huge part.[/pullquote]

    “With some important league games and a big quarter final in the Scottish Cup, we need to make sure we head in to every game on the back of a good performance and a good result.

    Aldred may not be a stranger to the Scottish league, but he believes his second stint north of the border is one he is ready to grab with both hands.

    The central defender, who has signed on loan at Motherwell until the end of the 2017/18 season, had a short spell in the Scottish Premiership earlier in his career with Inverness CT.

    Having also represented the country at youth level, the 27-year-old wasn’t going to pass up the chance to move to Fir Park when the chance arose.

    “Playing in the Scottish Premiership was something I was really interested in. I’m familiar with Scotland. My mum’s side of the family are Scottish and I’ve visited up here a few times.

    “So I’m really glad to be in Scotland, and here with Motherwell. And after the brilliant cup run earlier this season, it’s brilliant to be a part of the group now that we’re on the brink of another return to Hampden.

    “If we can go out there against Hearts and play to our best, we have a real, real chance.”

    Settling in was never going to be a problem for Tom, who says he gets on well with the boys in the dressing room.

    “I knew a few of the boys before I got here as I’ve played with some of them, and against some off them too, down in England.”

    Joining up with a side who were performing well in the first half of the season could present a difficult challenge for a player. But Tom thrives from competition.

    “Wherever you go now, there’s competition for places,” he said. “Anywhere you go at any team, at any level. The more competition, the best it brings out in yourself.

    “I was really looking forward to getting my head down, working hard and being the best I can be for the football club and I’m grateful to the manager for giving me the chance.

    “Things got off to a good start for us this year. To keep two clean sheets in the first two games was obviously a good start, but it’s only the start, so it was something to build on and go on from there.

    “We’re on the back of two clean sheets again so it would be nice to stretch that to three games today.”

    Stephen Robinson has built a strong, well-drilled side at Fir Park and Tom admits he greatly admires the work done at Motherwell.

    “The manager is so organised and tactically astute. As a defender it’s brilliant and he’s a fantastic manager to work for.

    “Everyone in the team knows their job, sticks to it and, most importantly, works for each other and for the manager.

    “We have such a drive and desire to win. That, in my opinion, is something that you don’t always get in such abundance in one dressing room.

    “Hopefully we can go out there today and do our best from the first whistle, and get that all important win.”