Latest News

  • Club

    Talisman of the champions

  • Club

    Players take on coaches

  • First team

    Muir in the middle at Dens Park

  • First team

    Ticket information for Dundee clash

  • Well Society

    January recruits join Well Society

  • Women

    Ladies hit eight in home win

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    U20s highlights: Stranraer 0 – 11 Motherwell

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    McManus: We were professional

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    Stranraer U20s 0 – 11 Motherwell U20s

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    Motherwell in Youth Cup action

  • Club

    Talisman of the champions

    Brian McLaughlin was born in Grangemouth on October 7, 1954, and snapped up by Celtic at the age of 16, joining the Parkhead side from schools football, becoming professional in 1971.

    Brian starred in the reserve team alongside Kenny Dalglish and Lou Macari that were christened the “Quality Street Kids” by an attentive press. He eventually made his first team debut in September 1972 against Clydebank, and by the following year he had established himself as a regular. No less of an opinion than Jock Stein noted that McLaughlin was the most naturally talented player he had ever signed.

    Disaster struck for Brian after 14 successive appearances when he was badly injured by a tackle from Clyde centre half, Willie McVie. The resultant cruciate ligament damage removed him from the game for two years and although he fought back gamely, he lacked the previous mobility and was released to join Ayr United in November 1977.

    Manager Ally MacLeod gave Brian a platform to display his talent on a consistent basis, and the midfielder certainly repaid Ally’s faith in him and, much more besides, blossoming into a midfield maestro of great quality. Those who had considered Brian to be finished misjudged the young mans’ great determination.

    He went on to have an incredibly good two seasons with the Honest Men, even managing to score the winner against Celtic on Hogmanay 1977 in a famous 2-1 win for Ayr. Such was the quality of his play at Somerset Park, he was rewarded with the Players’ First Division Player of the Year award in 1979.

    Meanwhile, 40 minutes up the road and following relegation from the Premier League, Motherwell had made a poor start to the season being knocked out the League Cup by Queen’s Park and failing to win any of their first five league matches.

    In September 1979, Ally signed Brian McLaughlin once again, this time for Motherwell where his skills ensured that he would go on to be a firm favourite of the fans on the east terracing.

    The manager had been trying to sign Brian since that summer, but Ayr weren’t for letting him go. However, when Motherwell offered £100,000, United accepted and the deal was finally done.

    It didn’t take McLaughlin long to make his mark for the Steelmen, scoring on his debut at Douglas Park, but couldn’t prevent a 3-2 defeat for the club. Four days later, despite scoring again, Motherwell were humbled 5-2 by Raith Rovers at Starks Park as pressure began to increase on the manager from the fans.

    The following midweek saw Hearts visit Fir Park under the light of the silvery moon, and for the third time on the bounce the new signing was on target again as he finally picked up his first win bonus in North Lanarkshire as the Jambos were humbled 4-2 on a memorable night under the Fir Park lights.

    After another three straight wins over Clyde, Dumbarton and St Johnstone it seemed Motherwell were on a roll. However, as is often the case around these parts, the wheels came off. One win in the next eight, a 1-0 victory over Stirling Albion at home, sealed with a McLaughlin pile driver, pretty much ended any promotion hopes that the Steelmen and their fans had harboured.

    Although things did pick up after the arrival of Albert Kidd and Joe Carson from Arbroath, the Fir Parkers were always playing catch up with Hearts and Airdrieonians, who both had established a good lead at the top of the table.

    Despite ten wins after New Year in the league, Motherwell never really got into contention at the top and finished a rather disappointing sixth, eight points behind Airdrie who, along with winners Hearts, both went up to the Premier League.

    After his arrival, Brian was an ever present in the Motherwell line up, playing 35 times and scoring a very respectable ten goals. McLaughlin’s promptings initially lifted Motherwell, flirting with the leaders, but try as he might the Steelmen slipped back down the table, leaving the ‘Well fans feeling frustrated with the form of the side in a division that they were expected to win rather easily.

    His first full campaign at Fir Park was 1980/81, which opened brightly for Brian with a hat trick in the second leg of the League Cup first round tie against Stenhousemuir.

    The league campaign kicked off disastrously however, hammered 5-0 by a rampant Ayr United side down at Somerset Park. In what was a tough division in this year, Motherwell suffered from our old failing: inconsistency.

    Despite recording decisive, good wins against Falkirk, Dundee, Dunfermline and Hibernian there was always a shock scoreline around the corner, like defeats to Berwick Rangers and Stirling Albion. Come New Year’s Day, it felt like the club absolutely had to beat the Accies at Fir Park. Despite Brian scoring, the visitors finished comfortable 3-1 winners, to pretty much end once again our promotion hopes.

    After the Ne’erday defeat the Steelmen went on a 15-game unbeaten run in the league, which left the club a hugely disappointing fifth in the final league table of the season. There had been a little flirtation with silverware when 3,000 ‘Well fans headed to Tannadice for a Scottish Cup quarter final against the all conquering Dundee United, after a battle cry from Ally MacLeod. The manager had caught the imagination of everyone claiming that Motherwell were definite contenders to lift the old trophy despite being mid table in the second tier of Scottish Football.

    Sadly, by half time, Motherwell were 4-1 down and out of the competition. By the end of the campaign, Ally MacLeod was somewhat under pressure from sections of the Motherwell support, as the club reluctantly looked forward to a third season out with the top flight of Scottish football.

    The board decided that there had been enough positives in the last 15 matches of the campaign to remain firmly behind the manager in his attempt to finally secure a berth back in amongst the big guns. Brian had played in 42 games that season, the most he had every managed, scoring nine goals. It wasn’t long into the new season that the Motherwell board did lose its confidence in Ally MacLeod and he left his position which was quickly filled by his assistant, David Hay.

    Hay’s first game in charge was a disappointing defeat down at Rugby Park, but a single Willie Irvine goal beat Queen’s Park at Fir Park a week later in front of a paltry crowd of less than 2,000 fans, which did spark an upturn in fortunes.

    Brian McLaughlin scored nine times in six of the next seven matches as the Steelmen beat St Johnstone, Falkirk, Dumbarton, Raith Rovers, Dunfermline Athletic and East Stirlingshire, after finishing level with Hamilton Accies in an enthralling 2-2 draw.

    That impressive run took the Fir Parkers to the top of the table as confidence began to build within the ranks. The transformation in the Steelmen from the early season under McLeod, to the quality of play produced by the team under Hay just a few weeks later, was remarkable without adding anyone to the squad.

    As October arrived, Motherwell went from strength to strength as McLaughlin opened the scoring when East Stirlingshire were defeated away at Fir Park 3-0, before two weeks later producing a memorable display at Kilbowie against Clydebank.

    The home side were ripped apart in a vintage performance by the Steelmen in a 7-1 rout. The man of the match that day be a country mile was Brian McLaughlin, who dictated the pace and control of the game in a manner I have rarely seen.

    Incredibly, Brian didn’t find the net that afternoon, but had a hand in five of the seven goals Motherwell scored, as belief that the title might be heading our way began to spread throughout the claret and amber support.

    As promotion got closer, Brian continued to have a major influence on those around him, while still scoring vital goals in important games for the club. He shot Motherwell ahead in the Lanarkshire derby against the Accies in March, before setting up both Bruce Clelland and Willie Irvine to score in a 3-2 win.

    Two further single goal victories over Kilmarnock at Fir Park and away at Raith Rovers, both scored by McLaughlin took Motherwell to the brink of the Championship.

    Four days later the title was clinched, after one of the poorest performances from the Steelmen in what had been a terrific campaign, at home to Clydebank in front of the BBC TV cameras. It finished goalless, before the Motherwell fans swarmed onto the pitch in celebration at the final whistle to mob the players, signalling the end of the club’s three-year exile from the Premier Division.

    The season had been a triumph for David Hay as he saw his side romp away with the title, scoring 92 times to create a First Division record for goal scoring. Quite amazingly, three players claimed 56 of them, Willie Irvine, along with Brian netting 20 goals apiece and Bruce Clelland contributing 16.

    An indication of how much McLaughlin had an effect on the championship win is the fact that 11 of his goals opened the scoring for Motherwell in matches in which only two points were dropped by the Steelmen.

    In a Motherwell squad that was packed with very good footballers, it was evident to everyone who watched them play that season that Brian McLaughlin was the talismanic figure in which Davie Hay had built his successful side around.

    Brian played 43 times in that memorable season. Only Steve McLelland, John Gahagan and Willie Irvine played more as he made a mockery of the injury prone tag often attached to him.

    Back in the big time, Brian had the stage he had been craving for: an opportunity to display his talents and show everyone that he could dictate matches at the highest level in this country.

    However, new manager Jock Wallace didn’t share Brian’s vision for the future. After starting the first two fixtures against Rangers and Dundee, he left both Brian and record goal scorer, Willie Irvine on the substitute bench for the visit of a Charlie Nicholas inspired Celtic. The game ended in a heavy defeat and Brian was rarely seen again in claret and amber.

    Midway through the Premier League campaign, and after being unfairly treated by Wallace, Brian was allowed to leave for pastures new, which he did, joining Hamilton Accies back in the First Division. He then served his local side Falkirk, before a brief spell in Australia and then back to Ayr United before hanging up his boots, ending a career that had promised so much.

    In August 2009, Brian died as a result of an accident in tragic circumstances, being found in the Union Canal near his home in Falkirk. He was only 54 years old.

    Brian McLaughlin played for Motherwell 131 times, scoring 41 goals from midfield and was the architect and focal point of one of the most entertaining squads ever witnessed. It would be stretching it a little to suggest that Brian had this football club in his heart, but his contribution in just over three years cannot be understated.

    The pressure everyone at Fir Park were under as they tried to win promotion at the third attempt, reportedly the last throw of the dice for Motherwell before going part time, cannot be underestimated.

    Had Brian not produced the stats and the goods he did in the championship winning season, there is every chance we would be watching the Steelmen this afternoon in lower league football lining up against our peers of the 80s such as Morton, Ayr United, Airdrie and Clyde.

    They say success and failure in football is all about fine margins. If that’s the case, then we all should be grateful that when Brian joined Motherwell, the odds shifted distinctly in our favour.

  • Club

    Players take on coaches

    Motherwell players and coaches are going head-to-head in a series of challenges to see who comes out on top.

    In the first of five, this week Trevor Carson and Nadir Çiftçi took on Stephen McManus and Craig Hinchliffe in a game of Speak Out, with hilarious consequences.

  • First team

    Muir in the middle at Dens Park

    Alan Muir is the man in charge as Motherwell travel to face Dundee at Dens Park for the second time in three weeks. 

    The 42-year-old takes charge of his third ‘Well match of the season, and his second at Fir Park.

    In those two matches, ‘Well have notched one victory and suffered one defeat, with a 2-0 win over Ross County at home before losing 2-1 away to Hibs.

    The official has dished out seven yellow cards and one red in those two games, when Kenny Van Der Weg was given his marching orders.

    ‘Well travel to a ground they have a perfect record at so far this season, having won twice and kept two clean sheet in the process.

    His overall record in charge of the Steelmen is a fairly mixed bag.

    When the Scotsman has been in charge, ‘Well have won on 11 occasions, drawn five and lost ten.

    In those games, Motherwell have scored 32 and conceded 39.

    Muir will be ably assisted by Douglas Ross and Jordan Stokoe; with Andrew Dallas on fourth official duties.


  • First team

    Ticket information for Dundee clash

    Motherwell return to Dens Park for the second time in three weeks as they travel to face Dundee in the Ladbrokes Premiership.

    After a 2-0 victory in the William Hill Scottish Cup on their last visit, Stephen Robinson’s men travel north with confidence of continuing their push for a place in the top six.

    The Fir Park men are unbeaten at Dens this season, keeping two clean sheets in the process, including a 1-0 league win back in October.

    Craig Tanner’s solitary strike sealed the three points that afternoon, and ‘Well’s number 27 also opened the scoring as ‘Well progressed to the quarter final of the Scottish Cup.

    The adult ticket price for the match is £24. Over 65s and students can get in for £16, while under 18s go for £10.

    Dundee v Motherwell

    Saturday 24th February 2018
    Dens Park
    Tickets available on the gate.

    Admission prices are as follows:

    ADULTS £24
    STUDENT / OVER 65s £16
    UNDER 18s £10
    • Motherwell fans who require ambulant or wheelchair access should contact Brian Davidson on 07428 225254 or tickets@mfcdsa.com. Fans must contact Brian by Wednesday night before the match.
  • Well Society

    January recruits join Well Society

    January recruits join Well Society

    Motherwell’s January recruits have all joined the rest of their teammates in signing up for the Well Society.

    Earlier in the campaign, the entire first team squad at Fir Park became members, joining thousands of fans in making monthly pledges to show their commitment to the club.

    Curtis Main, Nadir Çiftçi, Tom Aldred and Stephen Hendrie have now also shown their support by signing up.

    “Since our arrival, everyone at the club and in the community has really welcomed us in,” said striker Main.

    “We are delighted to join the Well Society. We want to show our appreciation and play our part on and off the field.”

    Well Society members Heather McDonald and Brian Closs to meet the new players and welcome them into the Well Society.

    “It was a great honour to meet the new guys as they joined the Well Society,” Brian said afterwards.

    “There is a real feeling of togetherness around the club at the moment under fan ownership and hopefully that can push us on to finish the season strongly.”

    With now close to 2,400 members, the Well Society is continuing to grow.

    The more members the Society can recruit, the more they can support and invest in Motherwell Football Club, both on and off the field.

    If you haven’t already, you can join now and become one of the club’s owners from as little as £5 per month.

  • Women

    Ladies hit eight in home win

    Motherwell Ladies secured their second consecutive win in an 8-0 thriller against Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale.

    The women of steel went top of the league after their emphatic win, their second in as many games. Striker Suzanne Mulvey bagged herself six goals in a fantastic team display by the home side.

    ‘Well took the lead at Braidhurst within the first five minutes, courtesy of Mulvey’s first strike. A lovely free kick by Emma Black dropped just behind the defence and fell for Mulvey to slot past the keeper to put the home side ahead.

    It didn’t take long for Eddie Wolecki Black’s side to double their lead. A counter attack led to Montgomery playing through Sammy Hare, who calmly slotted it under the keeper.

    The Motherwell defence then withstood several EUHV attempts to claw a goal back, but to no avail.

    As the rain continued to pour down at Braidhurst, the ladies added three more goals to their tally in quick succession.

    Just before the half hour mark, former Scotland striker Mulvey got her second. The EUHV defence failed to clear the initial corner and it fell to Mulvey, whose drive proved too much for the goalkeeper to keep out.

    A matter of minutes later, some nice build up play from Motherwell lead to an overlap and it was Mulvey who tapped it past the onrushing keeper to score her third of the game.

    Mulvey wasn’t done yet. A superb ball over the top of the defence left her one on one with the keeper and she made no mistake to put the ‘Well up 5-0 with just over half an hour played.

    Motherwell’s dominance continued right up to half time and it paid off again, when captain Montgomery added her name to the scoresheet.

    The Northern Irish midfielder took advantage of the visiting defence’s failure to clear their lines to put Motherwell 6-0 up at the break.

    As the second half began, Motherwell picked up where they left off. A free kick led to Black floating the ball in the box, which fell to Mulvey to blast the ball into the roof of the net and increase Motherwell’s tally to seven.

    The Motherwell defence was asked questions as EUHV searched for a consolation goal but Lesley Condie and company remained resilient.

    Mulvey shortly piled more misery onto EUHV as she got her last goal of the game.

    Picking the ball up at the left-hand side of the box, she sent the keeper the wrong way and dinked it into the right-hand side of the goal in a composed finish by the experienced forward.

    EUHV continued to dig in and try to find a goal in the last 15 minutes of the match. But the home defence was more than a match and managed to limit the Edinburgh side’s chances and finish the game with an all-important clean sheet, the first of the season.

    The emphatic victory sends the Lanarkshire side top of SWPL2 table with six points and an impressive ten goals in two games. The result sets the team up for next weekend’s cup clash against SWPL1 side Rangers.

    Motherwell: Johnstone, Black, Magill, Knox, Condie, McLaughlin, Montgomery (C), Johnson, Hare, Cunningham, Mulvey.

    Motherwell subs: Dalziel, Nicholson, Russell, Gallagher, Goodwin, Rhind, Kerr

    Match report by Andrew Scott. Picture courtesy of Craig Doyle.

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    U20s highlights: Stranraer 0 – 11 Motherwell

    Watch all 11 goals from Sunday’s thrashing of Stranraer in the Scottish FA Youth Cup fourth round.

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    McManus: We were professional

    Stephen McManus hailed the professional attitude of the Under 20s after they secured an 11-0 victory over Stranraer.

    The assistant manager was pleased to see his side come away with the win on an afternoon they showed a ruthlessness at both ends of the pitch.

    Speaking at full time, McManus reflected on the convincing fourth round performance.

    “The boys were terrific and I thought they were very professional in the way they went about their business,” the former Scotland captain said.

    “We spoke to the boys ahead of kick off and asked for a few things from them today which, sure enough, they delivered.

    “The boys up front maybe haven’t shown that ruthlessness in front of goal that is needed to break through that barrier and get into the first-team plans, but today they showed that.

    “When you play a side that are not in the division as you, you have to be very competitive in both boxes to ensure you come away with the win.”

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    Stranraer U20s 0 – 11 Motherwell U20s

    Motherwell cruised into fifth round of the Scottish FA Youth Cup with an 11-0 victory against Stranraer.

    James Scott and Alfredo Agyeman partnered each other up front for Stephen Craigan’s side, and the pair both bagged hat tricks in Cumnock.

    The youngsters also had goalkeeper PJ Morrison to thank for keeping a clean sheet, with his penalty save after just two minutes denying the hosts.

    It was ‘Well centre back Barry Maguire who opened the scoring. A short corner was laid off to Hastie, who curled his cross towards the back post where Maguire was on hand to head home.

    It took until the 25th minute before ‘Well had their second. Jordan Armstrong clipped a lovely ball over the Stranraer defence for Scott, who burst through and slipped the ball through keeper Ryan McLaren’s legs.

    A minute later, it was three. Agyeman grabbed his first of the game with a composed finish, cutting inside from the right and slotting in to the far corner.

    The Italian turned provider in the 29th minute, bursting towards the byline and cutting back for Scott inside the six-yard box, who had an easy finish for his second of the game.

    It was four at the break for the Steelmen, who then came out for the second half in style and with one change of personnel, with Jamie Semple replacing Shaun Bowers.

    Six minutes after the restart, David Turnbull made it five with arguably the goal of the game.

    Pulling the ball out of the air with a lovely first touch, the midfielder chopped his way past two defenders before finding the side netting with a lovely left-footed finish from just inside the box.

    Hastie got in on the action with an easy header just four minutes later. But it was the work from Kyle MacDonald down the right-hand side that created the goal.

    Beating his man, the youngster sent a pinpoint cross on to Hastie’s head, who made no mistake from inside the box.

    Semple provided a neat assist for Agyeman just two minutes later, rolling the ball through for the speedy forward, who slotted beyond McLaren to make it seven.

    Reece McAlear was introduced to the fold just before the hour mark, replacing Turnbull at Townhead Park.

    In the 62nd minute, Scott had his hat trick and it was another easy finish. McAlear threaded Hastie in down the left, and the winger cut back for Scott to tap home from three yards.

    Ten minutes later, Agyeman followed suit. Having missed a couple of half-decent chances, the forward made no mistake when he rounded the keeper with great composure before rolling the ball in to the empty net.

    McAlear scored his first goal for the under 20s when he fired home from Agyeman’s cut back, making it ten for Stephen Craigan’s side.

    The afternoon’s scoring was then rounded off by Agyeman, who received the ball after some clever work down the left flank, opened his body and finished confidently past McLaren.

    Just before full time, Stranraer’s John Mitchell was given his marching orders for a bad tacle on Agyeman.

    Kilmarnock lie in wait in the next round for the young Steelmen.

    Motherwell U20s: 1. PJ Morrison, 2. Shaun Bowers, 3. Jordan Armstrong, 4. Dylan King, 5. Barry Maguire, 6. Kyle MacDonald, 7. Jake Hastie, 8. Davie Turnbull, 9. Alfredo Agyeman, 11. James Scott, 14. Liam Brown

    Subs: 12. Jamie Semple, 15. Jack Brown, 16. Reece McAlear

  • Reserves & Under 18s

    Motherwell in Youth Cup action

    Motherwell face Stranraer on Sunday in their long-awaited Scottish FA Youth Cup tie.

    The fourth round tie is being played at Townhead Park in Cumnock. Kick off is at 1.15pm.

    The winners of the match face a trip to play Kilmarnock in the fifth round of the 2017/18 competition.