Latest News

  • Well Society

    Well Society business breakfast

  • Club

    Get your tickets for Hamilton derby

  • First team

    Highlights: Motherwell 2 – 1 Hearts

  • First team

    Aberdeen or Kilmarnock in cup semi final

  • First team

    Players react to quarter final drama

  • First team

    Robinson: Proud of each individual

  • First team

    Motherwell 2 – 1 Hearts

  • First team

    Robinson: Everyone pushing for success

  • First team

    Main wants his own cup memories

  • First team

    Frear fit and fresh for cup task

  • Well Society

    Well Society business breakfast

    Well Society business breakfast

    The Well Society are hosting their first business breakfast, offering networking opportunities for local companies.

    Former Motherwell player Bobby Watson is the guest speaker at the event, which is taking place on Thursday, April 19 in Millennium Suite at Fir Park.

    Tickets cost just £10 per person. The price includes a breakfast roll, tea/coffee and orange juice. The event starts at 7.45am and runs until 9am.

    To book your place, email well.society@motherwellfc.co.uk or call on 01698 338009.

  • Club

    Get your tickets for Hamilton derby

    Motherwell are on a high as they prepare to face Hamilton Academical in the Lanarkshire derby.

    The Steelmen travel to face their rivals in the Ladbrokes Premiership on Saturday, March 10 and fans are encouraged to buy early to guarantee their seat.

    To help you get your ticket early, you can now buy online for this fixture.

    Adult tickets cost £22, while over 65s and under 18s can get in for £12.

    The trip to Hamilton represents another huge game for Stephen Robinson’s side in their push to make the top six in the Ladbrokes Premiership. Let’s fill the stand and give the team as big a backing as possible.

  • First team

    Highlights: Motherwell 2 – 1 Hearts

    Extended highlights from Fir Park as goals from Curtis Main and Carl McHugh send Motherwell back to Hampden.

  • First team

    Aberdeen or Kilmarnock in cup semi final

    Motherwell will play Aberdeen or Kilmarnock in the semi final of the 2017/18 William Hill Scottish Cup.

    The match is due to be played at Hampden Park on the weekend on Saturday, April 14.

    The tie marks the first time the Steelmen have reached last four of the Scottish Cup since April 2011, where they beat St Johnstone 3-0.

    The winners of the tie will play either Celtic or Rangers in the final.

    2017/18 William Hill Scottish Cup semi final draw

    Celtic v Rangers

    Motherwell v Aberdeen/Kilmarnock

  • First team

    Players react to quarter final drama

    Curtis Main, Trevor Carson and the heroic skipper Carl McHugh reflect on a dramatic quarter final victory over Hearts in the William Hill Scottish Cup. 

  • First team

    Robinson: Proud of each individual

    A thrilled Stephen Robinson reflected on his side’s dramatic victory in the quarter final of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

    Carl McHugh’s stunning winner in the 89th minute secured a 2-1 victory over Hearts at Fir Park, sending ‘Well back to Hampden for a second cup semi-final this season.

    And the Northern Irishman praised his players, who have overseen three Premiership sides to reach the last four.

    [pullquote]The energy and desire to keep going and keep believing makes me very proud of each individual.[/pullquote]

    “We didn’t give Hearts a minute to settle and that probably epitomises the team and the desire amongst the boys to get to the next round of this cup,” said Robinson.

    “They came on strong in the second half. They’re a good team who spend a lot of money on players.”

    And on captain Carl McHugh’s goal, the manager added: “I don’t think Carl will ever hit a shot like that with his right foot ever again, but it was a fantastic goal that deserved to win any match.”

  • First team

    Motherwell 2 – 1 Hearts

    Phil McGhee at Fir Park

    A stunning goal from captain Carl McHugh four minutes from time sent Motherwell back on the road to Hampden with a hard fought win over Hearts in the William Hill Scottish Cup quarter final.

    After building on a seventh minute goal from Curtis Main to command the first half, ‘Well’s chances of claiming a fourth Cup  visit to Hampden this season, looked to be disappearing as Hearts came into the game from the start of the second half drawing level through a Kyle Lafferty penalty.

    But having withstood some immense pressure from the Edinburgh side, Stephen Robinson’s men regained their composure to earn their semi-final spot with a stunning late winner.

    The Fir Park men started and finished the more offensive, although with both team’s yet to concede a cup goal, a tight defensive game was anticipated.

    However, the Hearts’ goal was breached after only three minutes when Jon McLaughlin failed to secure a low cross from Richard Tait as the ball appeared to roll from his hand Chris Cadden poked the ball under the ‘keeper for what seemed an opening goal. Debatably referee Andrew Dallas curtailed the celebrations indicating that the ball had been kicked from the keeper’s hand.

    The keeper’s luck only lasted another five until ‘Well we’re gifted the opener.

    In truth as Craig Tanner’s poor corner trundled along the line Ross Callaghan left it for his keeper. Comically the ball rebounded from McLaughlin’s boot, off the post back along the line for Curtis Main to make sure it crossed the line and give the Fir Park side the perfect start.

    From a tight angle Kyle Lafferty forced the first and only save from Trevor Carson. For the remainder of the half, though, Motherwell had the edge of what was a physical and bruising encounter.

    Chances were few but from Cadden’s is swinging free kick McLaughlin bravely smothered the ball at Main’s feet. The ‘Well striker then headed the ball down into Tanner’s path but he slashed his shot high over the bar.

    At this stage Hearts were defending deeply, desperate not to lose a second goal but that changed at the break when the Tynecastle side emerged for the second half on the front foot.

    Suddenly the home box was swamped and when Cedric Kipre’s rash challenge caught the inrushing Stephen Naismith, Lafferty slammed home the resultant penalty to lift the huge Hearts’ following behind Carson’s goal.

    And the Hearts’ fans could have been celebrating a second before the hour mark as Lafferty twice came close. Firstly, the Northern Ireland striker swept the ball past Carson only to watch  it rebound from the post. Then in the 58th minute he was again denied this time by an outstanding save.  Lafferty’s glancing header looked to be bouncing inside the post until Carson leapt low and full stretch to brilliantly palm the ball round the post.

    That save not only silenced the Hearts fans but helped steady the Fir Park men who gradually regained their stride.

    Indeed the best football of the game followed  as both teams enjoyed a  bit of possession in an attempt to find a winner.

    Motherwell looked the more likely and Ryan Bowman’s immediate contribution was a low ball across the goal which was cleared only a far as Cadden whose volley was on target until John Souttar’s lunge deflected the ball wide.

    Carson was then tested with a long range drive from David Milinkovic as the Edinburgh pushed to end the tie.

    However, in the final ten minutes the action was largely around the visitor’s goal. Bowman’s effort from the corner of the box took a deflection but McLaughlin comfortably held the ball.

    The ‘keeper was well protected and five minutes from time Kipre nodded Tanner’s free kick back across the box where Charles Dunne’s acrobatic effort sent the ball goalwards only to see it blocked in a packed box six yard box.

    A minute later, though, ‘Well found a way through with a goal worthy of winning any cup tie. Elliot Frear whipped in a cross and when Christophe Berra headed the ball out of the box the danger appeared over.

    However, Carl McHugh thought otherwise and from 28 yards his right foot sent a wonderful volley into the top corner despite McLaughlin’s brave attempt to push the ball over his cross bar.


  • First team

    Robinson: Everyone pushing for success

    Stephen Robinson believes the community feel around the club is crucial as the club prepare for a quarter final clash with Hearts.

    Having been bombarded with snow this week, the challenge to ensure Sunday’s fixture goes ahead is being tackled by staff and volunteers around the stadium.

    And the smiling ‘Well boss admitted it shows a lot of the qualities that makes Motherwell tick.

    ”It says a lot about the football club,” the Northern Irishman said. “There’s volunteers out there helping out to ensure the boys can get on the pitch on Sunday.

    “It’s something we greatly appreciate at the club, and when we see the girls from the office out using shovels too it shows what we’ve got here.

    “What we have is a great group of people who are all working as hard as they can to make Motherwell Football Club a success.”

  • First team

    Main wants his own cup memories

    Curtis Main has heard all the stories of Motherwell’s run to the Betfred Cup final earlier this season.

    Now, with a tilt at a second cup run on the cards, the January recruit is targeting some memories of his own.

    Hearts stand in the way of a fourth visit of the season to Hampden Park, this time in the William Hill Scottish Cup, and the Englishman has faith his side can take another step towards the dream of making some new heroes.

    “We are definitely looking to do the same thing again,” he said.

    [pullquote]It’s still fresh in the boys’ minds. Everybody remembers it well and hopefully we can go on and do it again.[/pullquote]

    “Obviously it gives the club a lot of exposure getting to cup finals. When you sign for a new club you look to be part of those occasions, so it played a little bit of a part in me coming here.”

    Main’s four goals have coincided with an upturn in form for the Steelmen and the striker says he’s felt the buzz since signing from Portsmouth.

    “It’s been positive,” he said. “There hasn’t been too many poor results. I’m hoping that can play into our hands on Sunday.

    “To get goals is what I am here to do. But that coincides with good results and good performances, which is what we’re all striving for.”

  • First team

    Frear fit and fresh for cup task

    For Elliott Frear, sitting on the sidelines isn’t something he’s used to.

    But in the last few months, Motherwell’s tricky winger has experienced muscle injuries which have kept him out of action for prolonged periods.

    In his 27 years he’s never experienced this, and he’s desperate to shake off the shackles.

    “This is the first time in my career I’ve been really tested with injuries, so it’s been tough,” Frear said. “I’m just trying my best to get back fit without breaking down my hamstrings or anything like that, so it’s crucial to not rush things too much.

    “I’ve been working hard with the physios and the fitness coach to make sure that when I do get fit I don’t stand the chance of getting injured again. The staff here are excellent, so that has been a huge part in me getting back to where I am now – on the brink of full fitness again.”

    Motherwell’s number 11 is a true out-and-out winger. Bursting down the left flank, the Englishman is one of the Steelmen’s biggest threats when it comes to putting crosses in to the box.

    So getting him fully fit again only adds another bow to Stephen Robinson’s armoury. Another option in attack.

    And it all looked set to be a season to remember for Frear when he casts his mind back to pre-season.

    “It’s a strange one to be honest because pre-season was probably the best I’ve ever had in my career,” he said. “I was delighted with how I was playing and how I felt.

    “Then when the season started I felt even better and I felt I was playing really well in the Betfred Cup and in the opener against Rangers too.

    “But then I pulled my first muscle in 27 years.”

    Dejected, frustrated and in unfamiliar territory: the treatment table.

    It left Frear in a situation we wasn’t sure how to deal with, and things only got worse.

    “It’s just one of these things, I thought, I’ll recover and I’ll be fine. When I came back in to the team things were good again, I scored at Parkhead after coming off the bench but unfortunately we lost.

    “In the back of my mind I felt like things would be good and it was something to take away from that game at least.

    “But I got injured again, then I picked up a concussion, it was horrendous but I had to remind myself things like that are part of football.”

    But they weren’t part of football for Elliott. Not to this extent.

    And it wasn’t just the winger who had to deal with the frustrations and difficulties of injury.

    “The manager was frustrated when I first got injured and was even more frustrated when I kept getting injured.

    “For me, it made me even more desperate to get back. I know what I’m doing when the gaffer puts me in the team, I know what he wants and expects from me so I want to be available, all the time.”

    “To be honest I’m finding out more about my body now. When I was younger I didn’t know how my body would react to certain things. If I was ever on the brink of pulling a muscle, I wouldn’t know how to deal with it.

    “Now I do, and that comes with experience with injuries. I always try to take the positives out of things, so maybe the positive from this is that I now know my body better, and that can only help me for the rest of the season and in to next.”

    But for the here and now, things are looking good for the smiling, cheery Steelman.

    “Luckily, I’m back to enjoying myself again and I feel good. Now I just need to push myself to try and get back in to the team.”

    That all starts on Sunday, as ‘Well host Hearts in the quarter final of the Scottish Cup.

    “We’ve been here before,” the winger reflected. “We know what it takes to go out there and get a result and I’m sure the gaffer will have a plan for us to execute today to make sure we have the best chance of a result as possible.

    “But even beyond this game, we have a crucial spell coming up. Our top six hopes are still alive, we have lots of games in a short space of time and the manager will need to be able to call on all of us and rely on the depth we have to navigate this busy spell.”

    As the scorer of the goal that practically guaranteed Motherwell’s top flight status last season, Frear is hungry to end the season in the same sort of form he did last.

    “Scoring that goal and the celebrations after that game were special moments to remember, for me and my family and for everyone involved with the club.

    “It may have been the best moment for me personally in football because the weight of the threat of relegation was huge. To feel that lift and to score that goal was an unbelievable feeling.”

    As he eyes a return to action, and as he discusses the hope of staying injury free, it is plain to see that Elliott Frear loves being a Motherwell player.

    “When I first moved up here it was the furthest move I’d ever made. My wife couldn’t move up straight away so we were apart for a while and that side of it was difficult.

    “Now, I don’t want to leave.”

    And with injury worries behind him and his eyes fully focused on making big strides forward following a frustrating few months, the future is looking bright.