Latest News

  • Archive

    Win Scottish Cup tickets with Carling

  • Archive

    Latest eBay items listed

  • Archive

    McCall frustrated as ‘Well slump

  • Archive

    Inverness defeat in pictures

  • Archive

    Battling inconsistency

  • Archive

    Inverness 3 – 0 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Last chance to air your views

  • Archive

    Battling ‘Well lose to Hearts

  • Archive

    Stuart McCall & Muirhouse Primary

  • Archive

    Youngsters are up for the Cup

  • Archive

    Win Scottish Cup tickets with Carling

    ‘Well’s next Scottish Cup opponents are holders Dundee United at Tannadice in the quarter-finals next Sunday, 13th March. 

    Stuart McCall’s men will be hoping to go one step further and into the semis at Hampden, and thanks to Carling, the official beer of the Scottish Cup, you can be there for free to cheer us on.

    Carling have given us a pair of Motherwell tickets to give away for the match, for your chance to win simply tell us:

    Q. Who did Motherwell defeat in the last round of the Scottish Cup?

    Email your answer, along with your name, address, telephone number and date of birth to 

    Competition closes on Wednesday 9th March at 12noon, and the winner will be contacted by telephone that afternoon.

    Terms & Conditions:

    • Over 18s only
    • Travel is not included

  • Archive

    Latest eBay items listed

    The club’s official eBay store is full of claret and amber goodies you won’t find anywhere else!

    From signed merchandise to hospitality packages and money can’t buy experiences, fans have the chance to get their hands on some exclusive Motherwell memorabilia.

    Previous auctions have included match-worn shirts, signed footballs, programmes, tickets, and even sponsor rights. Right now, we have Motherwell FC vs Manchester United X1 Programme, Stephen Craigan’s match worn Co-operative Insurance Cup Semi Final top, Steven Saunders’ “Poppy” shirt from the match against Hibs earlier this season, a signed 1991 Scottish Cup Final programme as well as last year’s Canterbury GK and away tops.

    CLICK HERE to browse everything at our official eBay store.

    The club also run charity auctions from time to time where all proceeds go towards one of the many local charities we support.

    If you wish to donate an item please contact us on 01698 333 333 or email

    Standard eBay terms and conditions apply to any purchases made on eBay. All items subject are to availability. Happy bidding!

  • Archive

    McCall frustrated as ‘Well slump

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall couldn’t hide his frustration as ‘Well slumped to a miserable 3-0 defeat at the Caledonian Stadium this afternoon.

    The Steelmen have struggled for consistency for most of the season and, frustratingly, that was the case again today as the Fir Park men failed to build on last weekend’s excellent win over Celtic.

    McCall was visibly disappointed after the match and was left scratching his head after the painful defeat.

    “We were so poor at the beginning of the game, with our possession of the ball,” McCall admitted.

    “The weather was nice, the pitch seemed in good condition and was there to play football and we played the shape we had at Aberdeen to get the players onto the ball and to get the ball into the right areas of the park.

    “But our possession of the ball was really poor. Then, in the second half, we lost two soft goals. From beginning to end, from back to front, we were so sub-standard.”

    It remains one of the mysteries of football as to why a team can play so well one week, yet fail to turn up the following.

    Inconsistency plagues most teams in the SPL, out with the Old Firm, and the Motherwell boss struggled to explain the difference between last Sunday and this afternoon.

    Questioned as to what Motherwell fans would be asking themselves on the way home from the Caledonian Stadium, McCall boomed, “It’s not only Motherwell fans asking that, I have asked the players exactly the same and the players are asking themselves that.

    “I could not believe that was the same side that confidently played well against Celtic.”

    “Good players are consistent players. We prepared exactly the same, the boys knew what was at stake; we could really cement our place in the top six with a victory.

    “We are still in there fighting and we still have the objective of finishing in the top six. It was not good enough, but you have got to give credit to Inverness, who played well.

    “They were well warned about the reaction Terry would be getting from his team after two defeats. From everyone being at the top of their game, everyone was far below. The only positive is that we have four games to make sure we are in the top six. We are in there fighting with a lot of teams.”

  • Archive

    Inverness defeat in pictures

    Pictures from the 3-0 defeat by Inverness Caley Thistle in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League at The Caledonian Stadium.

    These action shots and more are available to buy online at

    [svgallery name=”inverness050311″]

  • Archive

    Battling inconsistency

    It has taken me a few days to actually get the time to sit down and type this email so apologies to those who like to read it so soon after the match.

    It’s almost been 48 hours since the game ended and I am obviously very disappointed and frustrated at our lack of consistency. It is something which has plagued most of the teams in Scotland this season outwith the Old Firm and Hearts, but it still makes you scratch your head.

    We prepared the players excellently and they knew exactly what was at stake in terms of where three points would have left us. Disappointingly, it never worked whatsoever and we were poor pretty much from start to finish.

    I spoke both after the Celtic match and again during the week about consistency and how we need to stop being so up and down both in terms of performances and results. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case and I can assure you there is no-one more frustrated about that than me. Thank you to each and every fan who made the long journey up there and I am sorry the trip back was probably a long one based on our showing.

    But we have to get it out of our system, and quickly. We have got two very important games left this month; the first is this Sunday against Dundee Utd.

    I don’t have to tell you, the fans, how important Scottish Cup games are for this club. Both financially, and from a professional level. I know it is 20 years since we last won a trophy and I also understand the significance of the opposition this Sunday to that Cup win in 1991.

    I can’t tell you how desperate I am to give the club a repeat of that day in 2011. And, more importantly, I think we are capable of it. In saying that, Dundee Utd are a terrific side, particularly at Tannadice and we’ve already lost there in my time as Motherwell manager. But, we can win and I will be going all out to win. With Rangers, Hearts, Kilmarnock and Hibs already out – I am sure every club in the Quarter Final can see a wee opportunity for themselves and we are no different.

    I hope as many of you can make it through to Tannadice on Sunday as possible. I know Motherwell have a tradition of taking large crowds in Cup matches so hopefully a noisy enclosure will help our players progress to the Semi Final.

    Forever Claret and Amber,

    Stuart McCall

  • Archive

    Inverness 3 – 0 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

    Motherwell crashed to a poor 3-0 defeat at the Caledonian Stadium, blasting the race for a top-six spot wide open.

    Shane Sutherland gave the hosts the lead midway through the first half with a blistering left-footed effort from just inside the area.

    It remained that way until former ‘Well hero Richie Foran capitalised on some slack defending to put his side into a commanding two-nil lead with twenty-five minutes left to play.

    Substitute Alex MacDonald rounded off the win with a third eight minutes later to give Terry Butcher’s men their first league win over ‘Well for nearly four years.

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall made just one change from the side that beat Celtic last Sunday. Chris Humphrey had to be content with a place amongst the substitutes, his place taken by Francis Jeffers who played up-front beside Sutton with Murphy in behind.

    Inverness came out the traps looking like a team who were desperate to bounce back from their disappointing defeat during the week. And they almost took the lead after just six minutes when, after Nick Ross’ teasing cross from the left, Richie Foran teed up Russell Duncan but the midfielders deflected low shot was expertly saved by the ever-dependable Darren Randolph.

    Motherwell were struggling to get a foothold in the game so it was little surprise when the home side took the lead. Adam Rooney and Ross combined on the edge of the area before the ball eventually found Sutherland on the inside left channel. The youngster did brilliantly well to turn inside Steven Hammell before crashing an unstoppable effort high into the top left hand corner leaving Randolph helpless.

    Inverness continued to attack, looking for a second and they almost got it when Sutherland got on the end of a Foran cross from the right, but his header dropped wide of the post with Hammell doing just enough to put the striker off.

    After thirty odd minutes of Caley dominance, McCall’s men appeared to awake from their slumber and finished the half the stronger.

    Ross Forbes put the away teams’ first testing ball into the box after 34 minutes and Ryan Esson looked far from comfortable when coming to collect, but he was bailed out by Iain Brines’ whistle, the experienced official spotting a push inside the six-yard box.

    Four minute later, Motherwell cut Caley wide open when Keith Lasley rolled in John Sutton. With Esson rushing off his line, the big Englishman managed to slide and get a shot away but the Caley keeper did just about enough to block and the chance was gone.

    Sutton was again on hand shortly after when he met a Forbes corner from the left but his looping header dropped just over the bar.

    You felt then Motherwell had to score next if they were to get back in the game and, despite a decent enough chance for Francis Jeffers at the back post, Caley remained in the lead.

    As Motherwell pushed and pushed for a leveller, Inverness were looking likely on the break and almost doubled their advantage when Ross latched onto a Lee Cox pass, but Hammell managed to scamper back into position and thwarted the midfielder with an excellent block.

    However, it was a sign of things to come as Butcher’s men grabbed the vital second after 64 minutes. Nick Ross combined with Adam Rooney who managed to spring the offside trap. The Irishman shaped to shoot but pulled it across goal for Richie Foran who poked home from six yards despite the attention of Shaun Hutchinson.

    It looked like an insurmountable lead but Motherwell could and should have made the last twenty minutes at least nervy for the Highlanders when substitute Chris Humphrey passed up a golden opportunity to haul his side back into the game.

    Jamie Murphy’s high, hanging cross towards the back post fell kindly to the Jamaican-born winger whose shot was blocked by Esson. It rebounded back to 23-year-old and it looked certain he’d smash home but his effort was somehow blocked on the line by Ross Tokely; how much the veteran defender knew about it was unsure.

    McCall continued to commit men forward and they were punished when substitute Alex MacDonald added a third only a minute after coming on. Foran was again involved, somehow managing to get a cross in from the left flank despite and that looked to have caught Gavin Gunning by surprise and his hesitation was punished by the Scotland U21 striker who ruthlessly slammed home from close range.

    ‘Well continued to press and Jeffers and Murphy both went close to grabbing a consolation but nothing was forthcoming, and the Claret and Amber men faced the long journey down the road knowing the fight for the top six will now, most probably, go right to the final day.

    [tab:As it happened]

    Alan Burrows at The Caledonian Stadium

    Full Time – Inverness CT 3 – 0 Motherwell

    76mins – Signal has gone – wish it had stayed off to be honest. We’re 3-0 down goals from Foran and sub MacDonald have put Caley out of site 🙁

    Attendance is 3563!

    58mins – Good ball from Murphy on the left flank just misses Jeffers as Inverness knock it out for a corner.

    57mins – Saunders on for Hateley.

    55mins – Humphrey on for Forbes.

    48mins – Great chance for ‘Well at the start of the second half. Cross finds Forbes at the back post. Both his and Jeffers effort blocked.

    46mins – Second half gets underway! C’mon the ‘Well!

    Half Time – ICT 1 – 0 Motherwell. Inverness started better and got ahead. ‘Well battled back as the half wore on but Caley still lead.

    40mins – Corner from Forbes is met by Sutton at the back post but his header is just over. Better from ‘Well though!

    39mins – Another ‘Well chance – cross from Hateley is flicked on by Jeffers for Sutton but his half volley goes miles over the bar.

    38mins – Neat throughball from Lasley to Sutton gives the big striker a half chance but his sliding effort is saved well by Esson.

    34mins – Forbes free kick deep into the box has Esson in trouble but he is saved by the referee’s whistle after Iain Brines spotted a foul.

    28mins – Foran cross from the left flank is met by Sutherland but his header is way wide. Hammell managed to put him off with the jump…

    18mins – Out of nothing Inverness take the lead. Rooney and Cox combine to set up Sutherland on the flank. He cuts inside and smashes home!

    GOAL Inverness! Shane Sutherland

    14mins – Free kick by Forbes just misses Hutchinson and Sutton inside the area. That’s the first time ‘Well have been in the area!

    13mins – Slow start to the game here. Game is being played in glorious subshine though… Makes looking at the laptop difficult though.

    6mins – Ross cross from the right for Foran. Teed up for Duncan who struck a stinging low drive that is well saved by Randolph.

    1mins – We kick off at ICT – Wee bit late actually!

    To follow…


    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “We were so poor at the beginning of the game, with our possession of the ball.

    “The weather was nice, the pitch seemed in good condition and was there to play football and we played the shape we had at Aberdeen to get the players onto the ball and to get the ball into the right areas of the park.

    “But our possession of the ball was really poor. Then, in the second half, we lost two soft goals. From beginning to end, from back to front, we were so sub-standard.”

    Inverness CT manager Terry Butcher:

    “We gave the boys a bit of a savaging on Tuesday and they took that on board and said a few things on Wednesday.

    “From that moment on, they knew what they had to do. It was a case of making sure everyone was totally committed.

    “They showed that today and we could have scored a few more.”


    [poll id=”44″]

  • Archive

    Last chance to air your views

    The Supporters Survey, launched last month, will close tonight so don’t miss out on the chance to air your views.

    The response thus far has been brilliant, with approximately 800 replies all detailing different views on the club.

    A Supporters Advisory Committe member said, “We wants to know your big picture gripes and ideas, views on reconstruction, safe standing, television and the like. In response the club have promised to be transparent on their position and policies in whatever we identify and where possible and appropriate, use their influence to push forward change.

    “Importantly though we also want to work in areas where the club have the ability to make the changes we desire. Stewarding, ticket allocations, pricing, initiatives, club policies, facilities, match day to name but a few. The list is really up to you to help us identify. These are really the most exciting opportunities for you the supporters and where we can most likely see some quick wins.”

    You can fill in the survey either online at the link below, in the pull out which will be in both the St Mirren and Celtic programmes or pop into the Chapman Building where plenty are available for uplift.


  • Archive

    Battling ‘Well lose to Hearts

    A brave performance from the Motherwell U19s wasn’t enough to secure a point as Hearts ran out 1-0 winners at Bathgate today.

    After a fairly even first half, Hearts came out the traps in the second half and within a minute had taken the lead through Jason Holt.

    To compound matters for the Steelmen, Ross McKinnon was ordered off two minutes later for what was adjudged to be a two-footed tackle.

    Despite being down to just ten men, Young’s men battled hard but couldn’t get the equaliser despite one or two wee half chances in and around the box.

    ‘Well, plagued by injuries and players unavailable, were forced into two changes from last week’s humiliation at the hands of Rangers. Liam Sloan and Bradley Halsman were injured and missed out, replaced in the starting eleven by Michael Lynch and Keiran McGachie.

    Gordon Young had to do without Tom Bradley (First Team), Jamie Pollock (First Team) and Grant Brown (Injured) whilst he was unable to call on the services of some of his Under 17s players, meaning only two players made the bench – Chris Connor and Dean McLean.

    ‘Well started with a slightly different 4-4-2 with a diamond in midfield, Steve Howarth at the top playing just in behind McGachie and top scorer Lee Erwin.

    However, it was the visitors who would dominate much of the opening thirty minutes.

    Calum Patterson posted early intentions with a driving shot that flashed just wide of the post with Willie Muir at full stretch. Shortly after, Captain Colin Hamilton knocked a header narrowly over and David Smith’s fired a low effort straight at Muir as Darren Murray’s side looked to gain an early advantage.

    However, for all their possession and half chances, the ‘Well rearguard rarely looked threatened and, indeed, as the first half wore on, ‘Well were gradually becoming more of an attacking threat.

    The danger was coming from the right flank and with eight minutes left until the interval, ‘Well could and perhaps should have gone ahead. Erwin did well to win possession and he wasted no time threading a neat ball towards McGachie who had run the channel. The return ball across the face was a little over-hit from the former Stenny man meaning Erwin didn’t have a clean strike at goal and his effort was comfortably blocked by Hearts stopper Jack Hamilton.

    Two minutes later, Josh Watt created space for himself on the right flank with a neat dash but his cutback looked dangerous only for the lurking McGachie to slip at the vital moment; the ball cannoning off him and dropping fortuitously in the hands of Hamilton.

    Finely poised at the interval but a mad three minutes at the start of the second half would eventually decide the game. Inside the opening sixty seconds, Jason Holt picked up from deep and after bouncing a lovely one-two off a striker; he collected the return, opened his body and fired beyond Muir into the net for the games’ only goal.

    The task of getting level was made virtually impossible when a frustrated Ross McKinnon was sent off for a two-footed tackle two minutes later.

    That forced Young into a reshape with players asked to up their work rate and, to be fair to the young ‘Well side, they did and matched Hearts for the remainder of the half.

    However, a man less killed the game as a contest as the Claret and Amber men were forced to contain their opponents and hit on the break.

    Hearts almost doubled their advantage with seventeen minutes left on the clock when a neat corner by Jordon Morton presented Scott Robinson with a chance to strike from the edge of the area but the midfielder was unfortunate to see his stinging effort come smashing back off the crossbar.

    Motherwell introduced Chris Connor in place of McGachie and the winger gave Motherwell some additional legs on the flanks and, despite some sniffs in and around the area, it just wouldn’t fall to a ‘Well player in the right area.

    The whistle eventually blew and although the Claret and Amber men sank to their fourth successive defeat, Gordon Young would’ve been pleased with the reaction he got following last week’s humiliation at Murray Park.

    Motherwell: Muir, Griffin, McKinnon, Murray, Lynch, Carswell, McDonald, Watt, Howarth (McLean – 82mins), McGachie (Connor – 74mins), Erwin

    Subs Not Used: None

  • Archive

    Stuart McCall & Muirhouse Primary

    The Scottish Cup visited the Ravenscraig sports facility where kids from Muirhouse Primary  were joined by a surprise guest, ‘Well boss Stuart McCall.

    [svgallery name=”mccallatravenscraig”]

  • Archive

    Youngsters are up for the Cup

    Pupils at two North Lanarkshire primary schools got the chance to hold the world’s oldest national football trophy – the Scottish Cup.

    The famous trophy was on show at Knowetop Primary, Motherwell on Thursday 3 March before youngsters from Muirhouse Primary got the chance to get to grips with the silverware at the Ravenscraig regional sports facility.

    North Lanarkshire Council’s football development coaches organised the cup visit with the SFA and ‘Well boss Stuart McCall was also on hand to give the Muirhouse kids some coaching tips and talk about his own cup experiences.

    McCall said: “The Scottish cup is a special trophy and the kids will always remember getting the chance to see it first hand. Many will have seen it on the telly before but to see it up close is exciting.”

    Provost of North Lanarkshire Tom Curley, a former professional player himself, joined the Muirhouse pupils at Ravenscraig for the special tour. He said “During my playing days the Scottish Cup was the trophy every player wanted to get their hands on.

    “It is really exciting for youngsters to see the trophy first-hand and I would like to thank the SFA for bringing the cup to North Lanarkshire.”

    The Scottish cup was first played for in 1873-1874 and was held aloft for the first time by Queen’s Park.

    Caitlyn Redford (11) from Muirhouse Primary said: “I was really happy to see the cup and to get a chance to lift it up” and Scott Crosby (11) added: “ We were all really looking forward to today and holding such a famous cup was brilliant.”