Latest News

  • Archive

    FC Kuban Krasnodar 1 – 0 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Gallery: ‘Well prepare for Kuban

  • Archive

    TV: McCall aiming for upset

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Rugby Park

  • Archive

    Kilmarnock U20s 0 – 1 Motherwell U20s

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Easter Road

  • Archive

    TV: Anier delight at winning goal

  • Archive

    TV: McCall pleased with impact subs

  • Archive

    Hibernian win in pictures

  • Archive

    Hibernian 0 – 1 Motherwell

  • Archive

    FC Kuban Krasnodar 1 – 0 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

    Gavin McCafferty at the Kuban Stadium

    A brave Motherwell side battled hard but went down 1-0 to Kuban Krasnodar in Russia to exit the UEFA Europa league.

    The Lanarkshire side were relatively comfortable, without having seriously threatened to cut their 2-0 first-leg deficit, before McManus headed into his own net five minutes into the second half.

    Motherwell, who were without three key attacking players, had the perfect chance to level in the final minute after Djibril Cissè handled Stevie Hammell’s free-kick but substitute McHugh saw his effort saved.

    Their small band of fans at least had something to celebrate earlier when Gunnar Nielsen marked his debut with an excellent 75th-minute penalty save from Charles Kaborè.

    With a six-and-a-half-hour flight after the game, Motherwell manager Stuart McCall took the bold decision to leave key attacking players James McFadden, John Sutton and Iain Vigurs in Scotland to prevent them aggravating muscle injuries ahead of Sunday’s SPFL Premiership clash with Aberdeen.

    McCall insisted he was not being defeatist and the decision allowed him to pick a team more suited to tracking and pressing the opposition.

    Full-backs Fraser Kerr and Zaine Francis-Angol came in on the flanks of Motherwell’s five-man midfield with the energetic Stuart Carswell in the middle, while the hard-working Henri Anier would be asked to plough the lone furrow up front.

    About 50 Motherwell fans who had overcome the visa and travel difficulties were treated to some pre-match Cossack sword-fighting and dancing as the hosts marked their home European debut in style.

    The scale of Motherwell’s task was highlighted by the fact Kuban have not been beaten in the Russian Premier League since November last year, but the visitors made a composed start.

    The home side only made sporadic bursts forward in the opening quarter. David Tsoraev looped a header over following Ibrahima Balde’s clipped cross and Kabore charged into the box and cut the ball back but Anton Sosnin could not keep his volley down.

    Motherwell almost got in behind the hosts twice with Francis-Angol threatening to break clear until he was caught up, before Anier’s driven cross was deflected just wide after he pounced on a short header back.

    Balde almost got through on goal three times from Kabore balls but Motherwell survived each time and Nielsen made his first save in the 36th minute when he got down to hold Balde’s long-range strike.

    Kuban pushed Motherwell back for longer spells as the half progressed but Nielsen was not troubled again.

    It was so far so good for McCall’s plan to keep it tight and try to steal the opening goal before throwing everything forward in the final stages, but a decent start to the second half was punctured by McManus’s misjudgement.

    Left-back Roman Bugaev sent over a cross into the six-yard box but there was little apparent danger and McManus, facing his goal and under little pressure, headed straight into the top corner as he tried to clear over the bar. In defence of the defender, the ball was dropping at an awkward angle and it was obvious he was trying to scoop his header over the crossbar.

    Nielsen soon produced an excellent one-handed save to push away a 25-yard strike by Marcos Urena and then held Balde’s curling effort as the hosts stepped up a gear.

    But Motherwell threatened when Kerr got round the outside following Paul Lawson’s diagonal ball and crossed for Anier, who turned his man but was closed down as he shot, before Keith Lasley saw his follow-up shot charged down.

    McCall made a double switch with 20 minutes left but there was no change in tactics as McHugh replaced Anier and Adam Cummins came into the midfield anchor role for Lawson.

    Nielsen got his chance to shine when Hutchinson caught Balde after some quick feet from the Senegal striker. Kabore hit the penalty low and hard to the right of Nielsen but the Faroe Islands international got down quickly and produced a strong hand to push the ball away.

    Motherwell then looked set to end their European adventure on a further high but Aleksandr Belenov dived to his left to push away McHugh’s powerful spot-kick to make it seven consecutive European games without a goal for the Steelmen.

    Despite the defeat, McCall and his squad will no doubt take positives from the performance into Sunday’s clash with the Dons.

    [tab:As it happened]

    Alan Burrows at the Kuban Stadium

    FT: Kuban 1 – 0 Motherwell. Own goal on the 50th minute by McManus splits the teams. Both teams miss penalties via Kabore and McHugh.

    90mins: Missed by McHugh… Great save frmo Belenov to be fair. Still 1-0 Kuban and Motherwell’s Euro goal drought continues 🙁

    90mins: Penalty for Motherwell!

    83mins: Hammell booked for a trip at the edge of the box. Free-kick to the home side.

    82mins: Kuban introduce young Bezlikhotnov is on, Tsoraev is the man off.

    78mins: It’s Craig Moore’s top team debut for the Steelmen tonight too. Deserves it for how hard he has worked!

    78mins: Last sub for the Steelmen. Skipper Keith Lasley is off and is replaced by Craig Moore.

    75mins: Sub for Kuban. Balde is coming off and is replaced by Djibril Cisse…

    72mins: Penalty for Kuban..; Hutchinson fouls Balde inside the box. Kabore to take! Saved by Gunnar Nielsen (who has been brilliant tonight). Low to his right, the big stopper gets down brilliantly well.

    70mins: They will replace Anier (who has ran his backside off) and Paul Lawson who has given everything!

    70mins: Motherwell are going to make a couple of changes. McHugh and Cummins ready to come on for the visitors.

    66mins: Good chance passed up by ‘Well. Kerr cross finds Anier in the box. He turns ‘Well and should tee up Lasley but shot is blocked.

    65mins: Official attendance for tonight’s match is announced as 31,000…

    64mins: Sub Zhavnerchik gets his first real touch but sends a low shot way wide of goal…

    60mins: Sub for Kuban – Zhavnerchik comes on in place of the impressive Urena. 1-0 to Kuban…

    58mins: Another good save by Nielsen, this time from Balde low to his right. Big stopper has looked very solid indeed…

    55mins: Motherwell have a half decent look at goal. Carswell collects 30 yards out but his strike goes over the bar. Still 1-0 Kuban here.

    54mins: Another long range hit from Kuban – midfielder Kabore trying his luck again but it was way wide…

    51mins: What a fantastic save by Gunnar Nielsen. The big GK at full stretch to turn a Urena piledriver over the crossbar.

    50mins: It was Bugaev’s super cross from the left. The big defender was caught in two minds in front of the ‘keeper. Really sore on ‘Well…

    GOAL Krasnodar! Own goal from Stephen McManus (who has been fantastic too). 1-0 to the Russians.

    46mins: Motherwell get the second half going… Good luck to the lads and #COYW

    HT: Teams are out… Motherwell will get this second half underway Doesn’t look like any changes for the second half.

    HT: You’d imagine the manager will keep it the same for a time in the second half then really go for it last half hour or so…

    HT: Kuban Krasnodar 0 – 0 Motherwell. Steelmen have battled well. Not really been troubled too much to be honest.

    40mins: Resulting free-kick is taken by Balde but it’s poor, sailing way over the bar. Still 0-0 here in Russia…

    39mins: Lawson gives the ball away in the middle of the park. Kabore picks up but is fouled by Hutchinson. Defender goes into the book.

    35mins: Kuban get their first real shot on target, Balde’s low effort is routine for the big goalkeeper to clutch low to his right.

    33mins: At the other end, Kuban have had a lot in and around the box but Gunnar not had too much to do. Hopefully that continues for the GK.

    32mins: About thirteen minutes to the break. Motherwell doing okay here. Very much in the game but not really causing home side problems.

    24mins: A long-range shot from Urena looked troubling at first but it ends up high and wide of Nielsen’s post…

    22mins: It’s end to end stuff at the moment. Balde put in with another good ball. His attempted shot was blocked well by Hutchinson. Corner.

    20mins: Anier bursts into the box. He looks to cut it back but it hits Bugaev and smashes into the side net. Corner Motherwell!

    19mins: Another wee half sight from Kuban – Tsoraev fires a shot from about 30 yards but it sails high over the bar. No trouble for Nielsen.

    17mins: Almost immediately, Kuban are almost in through Balde but he takes a heavy touch and Nielsen is out to smother.

    16mins: Our first real venture up the park. Anier plays in ZFA but he was caught just as he was about to pull the trigger… Frustrating.

    16mins: On the park, Kuban enjoying most of the ball. ‘Well defence and midfield just about holding it together at the moment…

    15mins: Attention distracted here in the press box by perhaps the biggest mosquito you can imagine. More like a Seagull 😮 #hide

    13mins: Good chance for Kuban to take the lead. Neat play on the left flank. Kabore’s cut back to Sosnin is good but he blazes over…

    11mins: Motherwell doing okay at the moment. Keeping hold of the ball fairly well. Not really causing the home side any problems though.

    7mins: First half chance of the match drops to Kuban. Balde’s cross towards the back post is headed over by Tsoraev…

    3mins: Both teams trading possession – nothing much of note thus far. Home fans are in good form. Yellow and Green is the chant (apparently)

    1mins: Kuban kick-off, shooting right to left (towards ‘Well fans) when you look from the camera side…

    Teams are out – photos taken and Las and Belenov now exchange gifts before we get going… Looks like it’s the home side to kick off!


    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “I was proud of them. It was a good effort. I have watched them four times and I watched them on Sunday against Spartak (Moscow), and they are a really good side.

    “They are talking about (Ibrahima) Balde going for £10-11million and the boy in the middle (Charles Kabore) for £7-8m.

    “The focus was the game, to get to half-time and be in the game and then, if we can get ahead, start thinking about the tie.

    “Their opportunities came from two or three of our errors, they didn’t really cut us open. I have seen them cut some really good teams open.

    “Then they got the goal and we rocked for about five minutes but we battled away and it would have been the icing on the cake if we had scored at the end.

    “Bob’s disappointed and Mick (McManus) is disappointed but they have no need — people miss penalties and score own goals. It’s part of football.”

    FC Kuban manager Dorinel Munteanu:

    “It is worth noting that this was the fourth match in a very difficult run of games.

    “So we had to give it much consideration and treat the opponents with respect. The opposing team had some chances may have wished to use them, so we started the game very carefully. Basically, trying not to give your opponent a chance.

    “Motherwell could have scored from the penalty spot themselves, but that did not happen.

    “Nevertheless, we should not belittle the level of the opponent. Still, this is a team that finished second in the championship after Scotland’s Celtic, the team is quite a decent level so you had to play and rigorously fulfill the task – to pass to the next round.

    “In the next stage, we will see even more serious contender, we will prepare for it.”


    [poll id=”152″]

  • Archive

    Gallery: ‘Well prepare for Kuban

    Motherwell arrive in Russia and prepare for the Europa League Second Qualifying Round, Second Leg.

    [svgallery name=”kubantraining070813″]

  • Archive

    TV: McCall aiming for upset

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall is in Russia to win despite missing three tops stars to injury.

    James McFadden, striker John Sutton and Iain Vigurs have all stayed back in Scotland after picking up knocks.

    The Fir Park boss admitted that in other circumstances, he may have risked them but the length of travel influenced his decision.

    However, that hasn’t dampened ambitions. The 40-times capped former Scotland midfielder is in Russia to win and is hoping an early goal can set his side on the way.

    [pullquote]We are here to be competitive and we want to win the game. The aim is to get the first goal and see where we go from there.[/pullquote]

    Speaking to MFC TV as his side trained at Kuban Krasnodar’s stadium ahead of the match, he said: “Faddy, Vigs and Sutty haven’t travelled as all three are carrying little injuries that would be affected not so much by the game but by the lengthy travel.

    “I spoke to the physio John Porteous and we both agreed it would be better if they stayed at home.

    “Having said that, we are here to be competitive and we want to win the game. The aim is to get the first goal and see where we go from there.

    “There is certainly no defeatist attitude amongst the squad, we have proved already when we go away in Europe that we can give it a go.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Rugby Park

    Highlights from Rugby Park as a late Steven Higgins goal gives Motherwell U20s all three points against Kilmarnock.


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Kilmarnock U20s 0 – 1 Motherwell U20s

    Graham Barnstaple at Rugby Park

    Motherwell kicked off the new SPFL Under 20 season with a deserved 1-0 victory at Rugby Park.

    ‘Well substitute Steven Higgins was only on the park for fourteen minutes when he netted the game’s only goal just three minutes from full-time.

    Under 20s boss Jonatan Johanssen fielded a team short of first-team experience with Adam Cummins the only player who could count on any action with Stuart McCall’s side.

    Others like Lee Erwin and Craig Moore have been on the bench and played in pre-season matches this season and were looking to impress the watching Motherwell management team.

    The sides traded early chances with Cummins heading straight at Antonio Reguero for ‘Well whilst a long-range effort from Ross Davidson was straight at Ross Stewart.

    Tricky winger Dom Thomas was impressing for the visitors and his shot from 18-yards was well held Killie’s Spanish goalkeeper.

    The youngster then sent in a peach of a cross that the sliding Craig Moore could only touch agonisingly past the front post.

    It took Killie thirty minutes to create their first real chance when Greg Kiltie created space for himself in the box but Stewart turned his shot round the post.

    The Fir Park stopper then had to look lively from the resultant corner as he got down low to keep out a shot from Adam Hodge.

    The double chance gave the home side a lift and striker Robbie Muirhead created a couple of chances for himself. Firstly, he slipped past two defenders only to shoot wide from about ten yards out then, moments late, after creating space on the left edge of the box, his fierce drive was palmed away by the impressive Stewart.

    Motherwell responded with a couple of near things in the closing two minutes of the first half. Lee Erwin created space for himself by beating two defenders on the byline but his effort lacked the desired power.

    Then, with virtually the last kick of the half, the striker saw a free kick turned over the cross bar by Reguero.

    Motherwell started the second half brightly, putting pressure on Reguero’s goal almost immediately. The keeper pulled off an acrobatic save to deny Morgyn Neill at the back post, although the defender was adjudged to have been offside.

    The keeper then had to be at his best once again a minute later, this time tipping Moore’s header over for a corner.

    Killie’s response was to throw on Manuel Pascali as a sub, and almost right away they had a decent effort at goal when an O’Hara shot sailed just wide.

    Play switched back to the other end and once again the home side had to be grateful to their keeper as he kept out Moore’s 20-yard shot.

    Killie were forced to play out the last ten minutes with only ten men when O’Hara was forced to limp off after all three subs had been committed.

    This allowed Motherwell to snatch a deserved win with only three minutes left on the clock.

    Sub Steven Higgins ran on to a through ball which sent him clear one on one with Reguero and he kept his cool to slam a low shot into the bottom corner to seal all three points.

    Kilmarnock: Reguero, Trialist, Thomson (Pascali), Slater, Hodge, Syme, Whittaker (Hainey), Davidson, Muirhead, O’Hara, Kiltie (McEvoy).

    Subs Not Used: MacKay, Hawkshaw

    Motherwell: Stewart, Ferguson, Kellock, Cummins (Johnstone), Neill, McCafferty, Thomas, Leitch, Erwin (Higgins), Moore (Shirkie), Cadden.

    Subs Not Used: Currie

    Ref: Craig Napier

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Easter Road

    Highlights from Easter Road as Motherwell kick-off the new SPFL Premiership season with a 1-0 win over Hibs.


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: Anier delight at winning goal

    Estonian International Henri Anier was thrilled with his first goal for the club which handed ‘Well all three points against Hibs.

    The former Sampdoria and Viking Stavanger forward was only on the part for 14 minutes when he pounced, latching on to a powering Shaun Hutchinson header to slot it coolly past Williams in the home goal.

    The 22-year old could barely contain his excitement as he was mobbed by his teammates and speaking to MFC TV after the match, he admitted he is pushing for a spot in the starting eleven.

    [pullquote]That’s what my game is based on; finding the space in behind the defence. Thankfully the ball has come over the top and I managed to score.[/pullquote]

    He said: “I’m really happy that the manager brought me on and I scored but most of all I’m happy with the three points.

    “I saw a gap behind the defence (after Hutchinson’s header) and thought I’d go for it.

    “That’s what my game is based on; finding the space in behind the defence. Thankfully the ball has come over the top and I managed to score.

    “Hopefully I can push for a starting spot but I’m concentrating more on working hard in training and seeing what the manager thinks.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: McCall pleased with impact subs

    ‘Well boss Stuart McCall lauded the impact of his substitutions as ‘Well edged out Hibs 1-0 at Easter Road.

    McCall introduced internationals Henri Anier and Zaine Francis-Angol and both would play their part in the win.

    Antiguan Francis-Angol gave ‘Well additional pace and width on the flanks and Estonian Anier scored the winner, racing clear and slotting past Williams with just six minutes left on the clock.

    And McCall praised his side, who showed fantastic resilience after a gruelling battle against FC Kuban Krasnodar on Thursday night.

    [pullquote]When you make substitutions you want your substitutes to come on and have an impact, and obviously Henri did that.[/pullquote]

    “(I’m) delighted. I thought they started better but then I thought we controlled large parts without being dangerous,” he said.

    “And I thought in the second half the game on Thursday caught up with some of the lads, I thought we looked leg weary at times and I think the three substitutes helped gives us a bit of freshness.

    “When you make substitutions you want your substitutes to come on and have an impact, and obviously Henri did that.

    “So I’m really pleased with the victory, naturally, and a good start for the campaign.”


    MFC TV


  • Archive

    Hibernian win in pictures

    Pictures from the 1-0 win over Hibernian in the Scottish Professional Football League Premiership at Easter Road.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix and Craig Foy Photography.

    [svgallery name=”hibs040813″]

  • Archive

    Hibernian 0 – 1 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

    Kris Jack at Easter Road

    Estonian International Henri Anier scored a late winner for Motherwell, as the Steelmen grabbed an opening day victory against Hibernian at Easter Road.

    The summer loan signing latched on to a Hutchinson headed clearance, raced clear of Michael Nelson and kept his composure to slide it past Ben Williams to give Stuart McCall’s side the ideal start to the Scottish Premiership season.

    Anier’s first competitive strike for the club was the only real moment of quality in a game full of half chances for both sides.

    However, as much as Hibs huffed and puffed, they were to be outdone with seven minutes left, as the loanee from Viking Stavanger stole the points

    Stuart McCall made one change from the side that lost to FC Kuban Krasnodar in midweek, with Bob McHugh coming in for Zaine Francis Angol to give the side a 4-4-2 shape. Lawson, Vigurs, McFadden and Lasley made up the diamond shaped midfield, while the back line of Hollis, Hammell, McManus, Hutchinson and Ramsden remained.

    Hibernian gave a debut to former Shrewsbury and Swindon striker James Collins and in the early going it should have paid off for Pat Fenlon’s side.

    The hosts, who had paid tribute to former striker Lawrie Reilly before kick off, started the game on the front foot, with Alex Harris and Liam Craig at the heart of most of their forward movement.

    As good as their build-up play was, their final ball and distribution often let them down, with Fraser Mullen’s wayward strike the only real effort on goal in the opening twenty minutes.

    The first save of the game came at the other end, when Keith Lasley received a raking pass from Paul Lawson at the edge of the box, but his volleyed shot was acrobatically held by Williams in the Hibs goal.

    Bob McHugh headed wide from a dinked McFadden ball a few moment later, as ‘Well looked to establish a foothold on the game.

    Scott Roberston then dispossessed Iain Vigurs to set up Alex Harris for the hosts, but the young winger’s effort sailed well past Lee Hollis’ goal. Paul Lawson then got caught in two minds at the edge of the area after linking up with John Sutton, as his shot was on target, but too soft to trouble Williams.

    A shot in to the side netting was as close as James Collins came to opening the scoring for Hibs, after getting in behind Simon Ramsden as the half wore on.

    Ramsden then found himself in space 20 yards from the home goal, but his shot rose in to the crowd as he was caught off balance.

    The second half began in the same vein as the first, with Hibs starting on the front foot. Harris fizzed a ball across the six-yard area that Liam Craig couldn’t connect with, while Fraser Mullen posed some danger from the right hand side, but could not carve out an opening.

    Lawson and Hutchinson found themselves in the book for fouls on Craig and Harris, before McCall’s game changing substitution. Zaine Francis Angol and Henri Anier replaced McFadden and McHugh, with the young Antiguan immediately finding space on the left, winning a corner with his first touch.

    John Sutton thought he had grabbed the opener with about fifteen minutes remaining when Vigurs’ ball over the top saw the returning striker outpace Michael Nelson, only to see his low drive palmed inches wide by Williams. From the resulting corner, Stephen McManus leapt highest to power a header goalwards that was spectacularly stopped by the in-form Hibs keeper.

    It looked like that was to be as close as either side would get to a goal, before Anier made himself an instant hero with seven minutes remaining.

    Hutchinson won a looping header at the half way line, which dropped over the heads of Nelson and Hanlon in the Hibs defence. With Anier on the shoulder of Nelson, the Estonian outpaced his man to bear down on Williams, prodding the ball past the onrushing goalie and in to the net.

    As the clock ticked down, Hibs could not find a way back as ‘Well kept the ball in the far corner. Bobby Madden blew for full time, giving Motherwell their first three points of the Scottish Premiership season.

    [tab:As it happened]

    Alan Burrows at Easter Road

    FT: Hibernian 0 – 1 Motherwell. Great result for the Steelmen. Three points to kick off the season at Easter Road.

    90+1mins: Tell you what, wee Hibs penalty shot. Push in the area. Seen them given I have to say. Two minutes to go. Hibs on the attack.

    90mins: Three minutes of time to be added…

    86mins: Motherwell bois have once again been magnificent. Singing, chanting, noise and support. Best about… Well done lads!

    84mins: Hibs sub – Danny Handling comes on for Thomson. Hibs will go for it now you would think.

    82mins: The Estonian gets his first for the club. Latches on to a long ball. Keeps his composure to slot it past Williams. 1-0 ‘Well!


    81mins: Motherwell have the ball in the Hibs area. Zaine can’t get the shot away, neither can Las when the breaks to him!

    79mins: Two excellent saves by the Hibs stopper to keep it at 0-0. Fair play to him; top goalkeeping.

    79mins: Corner from Vigurs finds McManus but another brilliant block from Williams. Another corner for the Steelmen.

    78mins: Ball over the top has Sutton in one on one with Williams. Shot is tipped agonisingly wide by the Hibs goalkeeper.

    77mins: Hibs change. Tom Taiwo is on in place of Scott Robterson.

    74mins: Carswell comes on in place of Paul Lawson. Sensible from McCall as the midfielder was treading a thin line after being booked.

    71mins: Just under twenty minutes left. Hibs had the better chances in the second half but it’s still all square. Anyone’s game here.

    69mins: The Estonian’s first touch is a difficult bouncing ball that squirms away from him on the half-way line. Still 0-0 here.

    66mins: McFadden is coming off and is replaced by Zaine Francis-Angol. Anier is also coming on and replaces Bob McHugh.

    66mins: It was actually Harris who got fouled. Similar boots. He is replaced by Sam Stanton. Looks like ‘Well will make a change to.

    66mins: Hutchy is booked. Takes the ball to begin with but his follow through wipes out Thomson (I think). Free-kick Hibs on the left wing.

    64mins: McFadden is screaming for a free-kick after getting blocked outside the box. Referee Bobby Madden having none of it.

    62mins: Another Hibs chance. Strike from Robertson is brilliantly turned away by Lee Hollis. Hibs’ chances are coming from ‘Well slackness.

    61mins: Faddy robbed and Hibs break quickly. Great cross but Stevie Hammell does incredibly well to get round and put the forward off…

    58mins: Vigurs is robbed on the half-way line by Thomson. He drives forward and takes shot on but it’s comfortable for Hollis to hold.

    56mins: Hibs’ best move of the half so far. Mullen collects on the flank – his drilled ball finds Collins but he flicks header just wide.

    55mins: Decent ball into the box again from Lawson finds his former Ross County teammate but his header drops floats over the bar.

    53mins: We almost get a lucky break there. Ball hits off Lasley and falls perfectly in space. Cross is overhit though and the chance gone.

    51mins: Liam Craig takes the kick – goes low under the wall but it’s straight at Hollis who gathers without any trouble.

    51mins: Hibs free-kick on the edge of the area. McManus not happy with the award. Again, hard to tell from way back in the stand. TV?

    49mins: Pull back from McFadden for McHugh. He doesn’t get a good connection but even then, Sutton can’t help it on. Good chance gone.

    47mins: It’s one booking each side as Paul Lawson is cautioned for a late challenge. Don’t think he can complain too much there.

    45mins: Second half is back under way. Signal was a little late in joining us but back now…

    HT: Hibernian 0 – 0 Motherwell. Not a classic by any means. ‘Well maybe just shaded it on chances, but if so, only just.

    44mins: Nice ball into the box – Sutton cushions it down for Vigurs but his half volley flashed way wide of the post. Good move though.

    42mins: Thomson is booked for a tackle on Lasley. Going for the ball but looked as if he caught the skipper. Home fans not happy.

    40mins: Hibs immediately go on the counter but the attack fizzles out with the ball smashed into the side net.

    40mins: Corner eventually lands at Lawson but his stinging drive is superbly blocked by the charging Hibs defence.

    39mins: Nice little ball over to the left has Hammell in space. His cross is knocked out for a corner to the Steelmen.

    34mins: It’s not great stuff so far in truth. Loads of effort from both sides but nothing too much to report thus far.

    31mins: Another wee effort from ‘Well. Lawson tries to dink it over Williams from the edge of the box but no trouble for the Hibs number 1.

    30mins: Hibs’ first venture near Motherwell’s box in the last five/ten minutes sees Harris blaze over from the edge of the area.

    28mins: The ‘bois’ even have a song now for @StuCarswell18 – he’ll be delighted! 😀

    27mins: Another wee half chance there. Ball from McFadden finds McHugh in the area but he loops header a few yards wide of the post.

    25mins: Motherwell’s first proper shot on target of the match. Good combination between Las and Vigs. Skipper has a nice shot well saved.

    24mins: Lovely little dinked ball into the area by McManus almost finds Sutton but it just gets away from the striker. Goal kick. Still 0-0.

    23mins: Loving the taps aff chant from the ‘Well bois – throwing their shirts into the air! Entertaining stuff 🙂

    21mins: It has been pretty slack stuff at the moment… Both teams really struggling to get a proper grip on things. Passes going astray.

    16mins: Wee half chance on the edge of the box, neat play between Sutton and McFadden but the ball just wouldn’t sit down for the number 7.

    14mins: ‘Well looked good on the attack there. Came to an end by the assistant’s flag. Hard to tell, but looked close??

    12mins: We’re giving the ball away a little cheaply at the moment. Not quite as fluid as we’ve come to expect. Still 0-0 though.

    10mins: Hibs applying a lot of pressure at the moment. Worked three or four corners in the last two minutes. ‘Well holding firm…

    9mins: Corner causes problems inside the six yard box. ‘Well again forced to give away another kick from the quadrant.

    9mins: Good Hibs move down the left, capitalising and a shot Hutchy clearance. Thankfully Lawson was well placed to knock it behind. Corner.

    8mins: Brilliant ball from Lawson has Vigurs in down the left flank. His shot from just inside the area flashes wide of the post.

    7mins: Down the other end, full-back Fraser Mullan strike a shot from 35-yards the zips high, wide and not so handsome.

    6mins: McFadden has a wee half chance after a sliced Williams clearance. The forward takes an extra touch though and the chance is gone.

    4mins: Hibs counter down the right flank. Hammell does well to get back and block the cross at the expense of a corner.

    2mins: Motherwell bois making a ton of noise in the corner. Fantastic stuff as usual and much appreciated by the management and players!

    1min: Match gets going… Hibs on the early attack and a dangerous ball into the box but ‘Well get it clear via McManus.


    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “I’m delighted. I thought they started better but then I thought we controlled large parts without being dangerous.

    “And I thought in the second half the game on Thursday caught up with some of the lads, I thought we looked leg weary at times and I think the three substitutes helped gives us a bit of freshness.

    “When you make substitutions you want your substitutes to come on and have an impact, and obviously Henri did that.

    “So I’m really pleased with the victory, naturally, and a good start for the campaign.”

    Hibernian manager Pat Fenlon:

    “It’s a sore one to take, I didn’t think we deserved to lose.

    “There was some positive stuff but we lost the game to a poor goal and I’m disappointed that the good stuff will be forgotten.

    “Defensively we were solid. I thought we had dealt with Motherwell’s shape and (James) McFadden coming into the hole to pick things up, and then we got done by a long ball over the top when we were attacking.

    “They were the only two real chances they had, the first came from us losing the ball at our throw-in and then a punt over the top. We were ball-watching and Ben made a good save.”


    [poll id=”151″]