Latest News

  • Archive

    Muir takes charge of Caley clash

  • Archive

    Under 20s to take on the Terrors

  • Archive

    Topps day out at Hampden!

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Excelsior Stadium

  • Archive

    TV: JJ pleased after Falkirk thriller

  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 4 – 3 Falkirk U20s

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Easter Road

  • Archive

    Hibernian draw in pictures

  • Archive

    TV: Mixed emotions for McCall

  • Archive

    Hibernian 3 – 3 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Muir takes charge of Caley clash

    Referee for Wednesday’s SPFL Premiership clash with Inverness CT at Fir Park is Alan Muir.

    It will be Muir’s first Motherwell game of the campaign, and indeed, his first in charge of the Steelmen in over fourteen months.

    Despite this, the 38-year old will be a familiar face to Fir Park fans after taking charge of two matches last season.

    The first was the league opener at Ross County as the Steelmen played out an uneventful 0-0 draw with the league’s new boys.

    His other, and last, match was a 1-0 home defeat by Dundee United in November 2012, a late Johnny Russell header giving Peter Houston’s side all three points.

    He also handled five matches the previous season too. It started with Celtic’s 4-0 win in early September 2011, then a 1-0 win over Aberdeen, Bob McHugh scoring the winning goal some fourteen days later.

    The third was a resounding 3-0 victory of St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park before Dunfermline were swept aside 3-1 at Fir Park in a re-arranged game from Boxing Day. The last that season was when Motherwell memorably beat Hearts 3-0 on their way to securing third in the SPL.

    His overall record in charge of Motherwell is fairly decent. The Steelmen have won seven, draw four and lost six from seventeen games. ‘Well have netted 21 times whilst conceding 26.

    In all those games he has produced 51 yellow cards, 25 of which were shown to a player in claret and amber, and four red cards. The first given to former defender Paul Quinn for a professional foul on David Fernandez in a 1-0 defeat to Killie in 2008, another to Michael Higdon, then an opposition player, in a game with St Mirren in November 2010. To Stephen Craigan for an off-the-ball incident in the match with Dunfermline earlier this year and, most recently, to Keith Lasley for a second bookable offence in that Hearts win in 2012.

    Alan will be ably assisted on the day by George Drummond and Michael Banks with Brian Colvin on fourth official duties. Referee Observer is Brian Cassidy and the SPFL Delegate is George Douglas.

  • Archive

    Under 20s to take on the Terrors

    Jonatan Johansson’s Under 20s return to action this Tuesday when they take on Dundee United at the Excelsior Stadium.

    The young Steelmen edged out Falkirk in a seven-goal thriller last Tuesday and need a win to keep them in contention with Celtic, Rangers and Hibs at the top of the table.

    The Arabs were narrowly beaten by Rangers last midweek, a goal after just one minute enough to separate the sides at Dumbarton’s Bet Butler Stadium.

    Unusually, it’s the second time ‘Well will have faced the Terrors at Airdrie this season. Tuesday will be an away match at ground now widely used by many SPFL Premiership clubs for Under 20s fixtures.

    The match will kick-off at the Excelsior Stadium at 2pm – entry to the match is free of charge.

  • Archive

    Topps day out at Hampden!

    The SPFL’s official trading card partner Topps is bringing its brilliant Swap and Play Tour to Hampden Park on Monday 7th April (11am-4pm) – and ‘Well fans are invited!

    On the day itself a Motherwell first team star will be on hand to pose for pictures and sign autographs.*

    With loads of great activities planned, Well fans of all ages will have a blast at the home of football including:

    Match Attax 2014 World Championships!
    Play against other collectors to see if you have what takes to become the 2014 Match Attax Master!

    Swap Shop!
    You can swap SPFL Match Attax cards and stickers PLUS you can also swap Premier League Match Attax and Stickers!

    Have your picture taken with the real Scottish Premiership and Barclays Premier League trophies!

    World Cup Zone!
    Play the brand new Match Attax World Stars, get your face painted and get hold of World Stars Match Attax goodies!

    Fun Football Competitions!
    Take part in Topps’ cool quizzes, games and competitions. Awesome prizes up for grabs and bid for football memorabilia at our Charity Auction!

    Samba Skills!
    Get football freestyle tips from super-star Dan Magness!

    Pre-register now at toppsfootball.co.uk and get an exclusive Topps Box of Awesome which includes loads of Topps goodies!

    * Terms and conditions apply. Registration closes on Wednesday 2nd April. Player timings subject to change. For full details see toppsfootball.co.uk.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Excelsior Stadium

    Extended highlights from the Excelsior Stadium as a Dom Thomas quadruple gives ‘Well Under 20s a 4-3 win over Falkirk.


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: JJ pleased after Falkirk thriller

    Jonatan Johansson praised his side’s resilience after beating Falkirk despite going behind and twice being pegged back.

    The Bairns went ahead early on but two goals from Dom Thomas had the Fir Parkers ahead at the break.

    Falkirk twice leveled in the second half, but another two Thomas goals, completing his quadruple, gave ‘Well a deserved three points.

    It was a relief to Johansson, who was looking to bounce back after back-to-back defeats to Aberdeen and Hearts.

    [pullquote]It was fun to watch, although it might have been more fun had I not been a coach of one of the teams.[/pullquote]

    Speaking to MFC TV, the Finn said: “It was fun to watch, although it might have been more fun had I not been a coach of one of the teams.

    “There was some really good play and some good performances; you can go through the whole team and there’s not one player who didn’t have pass marks.

    “Dom Thomas will grab the headlines and rightly so, he’s a fantastic player. He got his rewards today; he probably hasn’t played to his high standards in the last few matches, but today everything came off for him. His overall play was excellent!

    “All in all, we could probably have made the night a little easier on ourselves, but the three points is great and, in particular, I must commend the team’s resilience for bouncing back from three disappointments.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 4 – 3 Falkirk U20s

    Dom Thomas grabbed all four goals as Motherwell U20s edged out Falkirk 4-3 at the Excelsior Stadium this evening.

    The Steelmen went behind early on but two goals from Thomas had them ahead at the interval. The hosts were pegged back by Ryan Blair but Thomas quickly fired them in front again with his hat-trick goal.

    The Bairns hit back for a second time when Olumide Durojaiye pounced on a slip by Ross Stewart to prod home a corner but Thomas would have the last word, picking up on a rebounded shot to smash home the winner with seven minutes left on the clock.

    Jonatan Johansson made two changes to the side that lost to Hearts seven days ago. Ross Stewart returned from International duty with Scotland U19s to take his place between the sticks, Max Currie dropping to the bench.

    And, after his red card last week, Danny McNulty dropped out and was replaced by 16-year old Luke Watt, brother of former ‘Well youngster Josh.

    The hosts made a positive start, forcing four successive corners, but Falkirk just about managed to defend them all. And, after seven minutes, it was Stevie Crawford’s side who had the first chance on goal, full-back Liam Dick could only direct his header straight at Stewart.

    It was a warning shot the young Steelmen failed to heed as, with their next attack, Falkirk opened the scoring.

    Blair Alston slipped in Lewis Small and the midfielder kept his composure to tuck it beyond Stewart into the far corner.

    Motherwell immediately went on the hunt for an equaliser and Shirkie’s half-volley was blocked before Cadden’s cutback for Steven Higgins would have brought about a goal but for a last ditch block by Bairns keeper Graham Bowman.

    The visiting keeper was in great form, blocking a stinging shot from both Thomas and Higgins, sandwiched either side of a Paul McCafferty shot that flashed just wide of the far post.

    However, he was powerless to stop the leveler from Thomas. The little winger collected a flick from skipper Cadden, switched it onto his left foot before curling a cracking shot into the far corner.

    It was a deserved leveler at that stage and Johansson’s men got it and it was another stunner from Thomas. The 17-year old winger collected a McCall pass before curling a beauty high into the top right hand corner with Bowman at full stretch.

    There was still ten minutes to play before the break and ‘Well had further chances to score; McCafferty smashed a shot high over the bar and Cadden had another effort straight at Bowman.

    Cadden also had the first effort of the second half, getting on the end of a McCafferty pass, but his effort lacked power. Seconds later, Thomas almost had his treble but again, ballooned his effort high over the crossbar.

    Falkirk had struggled to get into things but Stewart had to look smart to deny Michael Martin, the ‘keeper having to turn his low shot around the post for a corner.

    The Fir Parkers could have increased their lead when Higgins raced onto a Shirkie flick-on but he fired straight at Bowman.

    It would prove a crucial miss as Falkirk got level shortly after and there was a real touch of fortune about the build-up, but Blair’s finish was quality.

    Durojaiye completely miss-hit a shot that was heading towards the corner flag, but it turned out to be an excellent pass for his teammate. The midfielder coolly lifted the ball over the outrushing Stewart to level things up.

    However, Motherwell quickly put that disappointment behind them as Thomas grabbed his third of the evening just minutes later.

    He jinked past two on the edge of the area, played a neat give and go with Higgins before calmly tucking it past Bowman. An excellent goal to seal his treble!

    It stayed that way until the 80th minute when Falkirk leveled for a second time. A corner from the right looked to be bread and butter for Ross Stewart, who was enjoying a very decent evening, but he spilled it, allowing Durojaiye to prod home from a few yards out.

    Astonishingly, Dom Thomas took just three minutes to add his, and Motherwell’s, fourth to win the game. Bowman flapped at Paul McCafferty’s deep cross from the right, allowing Higgins in. The little striker’s shot was blocked, spun out to Thomas who blasted home despite Ryan McGeever’s best attempts to block it on the line.

    ‘Well could have added a fifth before the end, Shirkie firing wide before substitute Dylan Mackin fired both over and straight at Bowman, but 4-3 it remained as ‘Well moved to within six points of leaders Celtic.

    Motherwell: Stewart, Watt, Ferguson, Hall, Neill, McCall (Johnstone – 63mins), McCafferty, Cadden, Shirkie, Thomas, Higgins (Mackin – 86mins)

    Subs Not Used: Currie, McMillan, Leitch, MacLean

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Easter Road

    Extended highlights from Easter Road as ‘Well once again come from behind to rescue a point against Hibernian.


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Hibernian draw in pictures

    Action pictures from the 3-3 draw with Hibernian at Easter Road in the SPFL Premiership.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix.

    [svgallery name=”hibs080314″]

  • Archive

    TV: Mixed emotions for McCall

    Stuart McCall admitted to mixed emotions after his side’s 3-3 draw with Hibernian this afternoon.

    The Steelmen had raced into a commanding two-goal lead with excellent goals from John Sutton and Lionel Ainsworth and looked to be cruising towards the three points.

    However, a Hibs goal just before the break changed the complexion of the match and the home side controlled most of the second period, eventually equalising through Michael Nelson and going ahead thanks to substitute Paul Heffernan.

    It looked then as if ‘Well would lose to a bottom six opponent for the first time this campaign but the Fir Parkers, who have already picked up sixteen points from a losing position, dug in once again and got themselves level thanks a close-range John Sutton header in the dying seconds.

    [pullquote]If you said after 30 minutes we were going to get a point I would have been really disappointed. After 85 minutes, if you said we were going to get a point I would have been delighted.[/pullquote]

    McCall conceded he was relieved to take a point but that was tinted with a little frustration at throwing away a two-goal advantage.

    Speaking to MFC TV he said: “If you said after 30 minutes we were going to get a point I would have been really disappointed.

    “After 85 minutes, if you said we were going to get a point I would have been delighted. I think Hibs started well and got a lot of set plays in the box – but we scored two fantastic goals.

    “If we had not lost the goal before half-time we could have gone on to control it better but it gives them a lift and at 2-1, they’ve nothing to lose.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Hibernian 3 – 3 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

    John Sutton scored a dramatic injury-time equaliser to earn Motherwell a 3-3 draw in a thrilling match at Hibernian.

    The striker headed in his second goal of the afternoon in the dying stages following a goalmouth scramble.

    Paul Heffernan thought he had netted the winner for Hibs in the 79th minute as the home side responded to going two down after just 29 minutes.

    Sutton opened the scoring before Lionel Ainsworth notched a brilliant individual effort.

    Jordan Forster gave the hosts hope moments before the break with a headed effort and Michael Nelson levelled in the second half with a contentious effort that referee Steven McLean adjudged to have crossed the line (television evidence would prove the officials correct).

    Hibs started this thrilling contest brightly but fell behind in the 12th minute a little against the run of play.

    James McFadden played in Ainsworth, down the left flank and the forward’s low pass across goal was placed into the net by the unmarked Sutton at the back post.

    Hibs had a chance to test Lee Hollis after 20 minutes when the Motherwell goalkeeper could only partially clear a backpass.

    Paul Cairney picked up the ball on the edge of the box and found Danny Haynes after Stephen McManus failed to cut out the delivery – but Haynes shot over on the half-volley 15 yards from goal.

    Motherwell doubled their advantaged in the 29th minute with a brilliant individual effort from Ainsworth.

    The on loan Rotherham forward accepted a pass from Iain Vigurs, effortlessly nutmegged Nelson and darted goalwards before curling a sublime 18-yard effort into the top corner of the net from 18 yards.

    It looked at that point as ‘Well would cruise onto a comfortable win, the visitors had looked comfortable but Hibs managed to reduce their arrears two minutes before the break through Forster.

    Cairney’s corner eventually came back to him and he lifted a delivery into the six-yard box that was headed in by the defender.

    Hibs could have been level just seconds later but Hollis brilliantly turned a James Collins effort from 12 yards around the post.

    The hosts started the second half brightly and created two good chances.
    Collins curled a first-time effort off the post with the outside off his boot from a Ryan McGivern pass and could only bounce the rebound into the arms of the grounded Hollis.

    Haynes then blasted over from an angle inside the area in the 49th minute after being set up inside the box by Cairney.

    McFadden created a chance for himself after 72nd minutes, shooting wide from inside the area after driving past Sam Stanton and Paul Hanlon in a forceful run from midfield.

    The home side levelled in the 76th minute in controversial circumstances.

    Nelson met Cairney’s corner at a congested back post and the defender’s downward header bounced off the underside of the bar. Motherwell thought they had successfully cleared the danger but referee McLean rightly awarded a goal.

    Hibs stormed ahead in the 79th minute through Heffernan, just four minutes after he came on.

    The former Killie front man began the counter-attack charge with a pass to Stanton inside his own half, Cairney drove at the Motherwell defence after being found by Stanton and teed up the substitute – who lifted a shot over Hollis.

    The drama was not over there though, with Sutton earning the visitors a point with his second goal.

    Iain Vigurs dribbled into the area and Williams palmed his low shot back out into the danger area. Sutton’s initial shot was blocked by the scrambling Hibs defence, it fell for substitute Craig Moore who lashed his effort off Chris Cadden, which spun the ball into the air where John Sutton bravely put his head to confirm a deserved point.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Alan Burrows at Easter Road

    FT: Hibernian 3 – 3 Motherwell #HFCvMFC

    90+2mins: Corner to Hibs……headed clear by Lasley #HFCvMFC

    90+1mins: SUTTON pulls it back to 3-3 with a header, after a scramble! #HFCvMFC


    3 minutes added on #HFCvMFC

    84mins: Hibs sub, Cairney off for Handling #HFCvMFC

    79mins: GOAL! Heffernan makes it 3-2 after a break away #HFCvMFC

    76mins: GOAL! Hibs equalise through a Nelson header. Hit the bar and crossed the line 2-2 #HFCvMFC

    75mins: Hibs sub, Haynes off for Heffernan #HFCvMFC

    74mins: Another ‘Well sub, McFadden off for Cadden #HFCvMFC

    72mins: McFadden goes on a mazy run but loses his balance as he pulls the trigger and pulls it just over #HFCvMFC

    70mins: Motherwell sub, Craig Moore on for Ainsworth #HFCvMFC

    69mins: Corner to Hibs…..Hollis comes out and gathers #HFCvMFC

    66mins: Hibs sub, Harris on for Stevenson #HFCvMFC

    62mins: Corner to ‘Well… Ainsworth’s delivery is punched clear by Williams #HFCvMFC

    49mins: Cairney slides the ball through to Haynes but he lacks composure and blazes it well over the bar #HFCvMFC

    47mins: Collins hits the post with a clever effort with the outside of his boot. Hollis is alert and gathers the rebound #HFCvMFC

    McFadden and Lasley kick it off #HFCvMFC #COYW

    Teams are back out for the second half #HFCvMFC

    HT: Hibernian 1 – 2 Motherwell #HFCvMFC

    45+1 mins: Another Hibs corner. Piling on the pressure here….Forster misses a free header! #HFCvMFC

    44mins: Hollis to the rescue with a great stop to deny Collins from 8 yards! #HFCvMFC

    42mins: GOAL! Forster pulls one back with a header from 10 yards 1-2 #HFCvMFC

    29mins: Oh my goodness, that’s a moment of pure quality from AINSWORTH! Nutmegs Nelson the curls it in beautifully from 18 yards! 2-0


    24mins: Decent delivery to the front post for Collins who gets in front of Hutchinson but can only head wide #HFCvMFC

    21mins: Ball breaks to Haynes inside the box but on the swivel, he hooks his shot well over #HFCvMFC

    Hibs have looked more dangerous in the opening 10 minutes but it’s the ‘Well who have the lead here. #HFCvMFC

    12mins: SUTTON makes it 1-0! A great little through ball by McFadden played in Ainsworth who squared it for Sutton who tapped in! #HFCvMFC


    6mins: First sight of goal for Ainsworth. Cuts inside from the left wing however his shot is aimed right at Williams #HFCvMFC

    5mins: Haynes springs an offside trap but thankfully Reid gets back and gets the block in as he tried to pick out Craig #HFCvMFC

    4mins: Forster and Cairney combine down the Hibs right wing and get a cross in. Hollis gathers #HFCvMFC

    2mins: McManus leaps well to head clear Hibs’ first corner of the game #HFCvMFC

    Cairney and Craig get the game underway #HFCvMFC #COYW


    Motherwell manager Stuart McCall:

    “If you said after 30 minutes we were going to get a point I would have been really disappointed.

    “After 85 minutes, if you said we were going to get a point I would have been delighted. I think Hibs started well and got a lot of set plays in the box – but we scored two fantastic goals.

    “If we had not lost the goal before half-time we could have gone on to control it better but it gives them a lift and at 2-1, they’ve nothing to lose.”

    Hibernian manager Terry Butcher:

    “It’s very sore, we’re very disappointed.

    “It was a tremendous comeback, great character, that’s been spoilt by an unbelievably soft ball.

    “We’ve had umpteen chances to clear the ball and we’re going to work all this week on throw-ins, for and against, and clearances because it was schoolboy defending. I’m bitterly disappointed we can’t defend a throw-in.

    “It was a bizarre game and I think that sums up our season, Jekyll and Hyde.”


    [poll id=”183″]