Latest News

  • Archive

    Motherwell 3 – 1 Kilmarnock

  • Archive

    Final day details confirmed

  • Archive

    TV: Law has positive mindset

  • Archive

    TV: Baraclough wants ‘Well win

  • Archive

    Curry Night returns this Friday

  • Archive

    Under 20s squad updates

  • Archive

    Collum to officiate Killie clash

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Falkirk Stadium

  • Archive

    TV: Johansson praises young ‘Well

  • Archive

    Falkirk U20s 0 – 3 Motherwell U20s

  • Archive

    Motherwell 3 – 1 Kilmarnock

    [tab:Match report]

    Phil McGhee Fir Park

    A resounding ‘Well win closed the gap on Kilmarnock to three points and ensures that the fight to avoid the play-offs goes on.

    After a slow start, two goals from Scott McDonald and Lee Erwin in the latter part of the first half provided Motherwell with the perfect foundation for what should have been a comfortable and well deserved win.

    But when Josh Magennis pulled one back for Killie soon after the break, ‘Well fans had to endure a few missed chances and anxious moments before Lionel Ainsworth came off the bench to make it 3-1 and put the game and the three crucial points beyond any doubt.

    Knowing that it really was a ‘must win’ game, Ian Baraclough was forced to make one change from the side which drew with Ross County, Simon Ramsden coming in at right back for the injured Josh Law.

    The ‘Well defence had an early escape when a Magennis’ pass somehow found its way to the unmarked Paul Cairney but from12 yards his low shot was blocked by George Long.

    Not surprisingly, given the stakes, the Fir Park players were are a little nervous in possession and Killie almost made them pay after 15 minutes when Magennis had time to control the ball before firing an angled drive which Long brilliantly blocked with his feet.

    It took the home side 22 minutes for their first threat on goal when Marvin Johnson, who was a constant threat on the left, curled the ball towards Scott McDonald but his header drifted harmlessly over.

    In their next attack six minutes later, though, ‘Well found the target and take charge of the game.

    Lee Erwin showed tremendous skill just inside the box to evade three tackles. And although Craig Samson got down well to parry the young striker’s shot on the line, McDonald nipped in to ram the ball home for his second goal in two games.

    Lee Ashcroft was annoyed when he narrowly failed to head home the equaliser on the half hour mark but the Killie centre back was left bamboozled when the home side made it 2-0 seven minutes from the interval.

    Lee Erwin appeared to have little options as he chased a long ball at the edge of the box closely marked by Ashcroft. But the striker twice turned his opponent before dragging the ball towards the centre of the box, finishing off a fantastic solo goal by drilling the ball across Samson to put ‘Well in the driving seat.

    And a with Killie dazed McDonald almost made it 3-0 but his header from Johnson’s cross was well saved by Samson at the foot of his post.

    In attempt to stave off a another crushing defeat Gary Locke made two changes at the interval and within seven minutes they had pulled a goal back.

    The ‘Well defence failed to deal with a Jamie Hamill corner and after the ball had floated across the six yard box a few times, Magennis forced it home to give the visitors a lift.

    The third goal which would have eased the home fans almost came on the 70th minute. Erwin’s headed flick found McDonald who rolled the ball in front of Conor Grant and his rising shot was netbound until Samson palmed the ball over.

    That gave the ‘Well players a spark to their play and another swift move ended with Keith Lasley drilling his shot wide from 20 yards.

    Firstly Erwin and then Johnson skied efforts over the bar as the game entered the final 10 minutes on a bit of a knife edge.

    With five minutes remaing, Baraclough brought on Lionel Ainsworth and Anthony Straker just in time to see McDonald curl a 25 yard free kick just outside Samson’s right hand post.

    But it was left to Ainsworth to make certain of the points in the final minute of normal time. McDonald carried the ball towrds the box before playing in the sub who stepped inside Daryl Westlake before sweeping the ball past Samson for a great finish.

    John Sutton then came on for the five minutes of added on time but it was McDonald who might have added another when he raced through the expose Kille defence before forcing a fine diving save from Samson.

    However, despite his heroics the Kilmarnock ‘keeper couldn’t prevent his side from slipping to their seventh consecutive defeat and gives the Steelmen hope they can get out of the bottom two.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Ally Reilly at Fir Park

    Great performance and an enormous three points. COYW!!!!

    FULL TIME!!!

    90′ | 3-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Almost 4 as McDonald bursts clear but Samson stands tall and diverts it wide for a corner.

    90′ | 3-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Motherwell sub, Sutton on for Erwin.

    90′ | 3-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Ainsworth drills it past Samson after being played in McDonald!! Great goal!


    87′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    McDonald curls his free-kick from 25 yards just wide of the post with Samson beat!

    86′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Motherwell subs, Grant and Hammell off for Ainsworth and Straker

    85′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Westlake booked for a late challenge on Erwin….

    82′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Erwin cuts past Ashcroft but his shot from just outside the box is high and over the bar.

    Young ‘Well fans can vote now for their Man of the Match by using #MatchAttaxMOTM. #MFCvKFC

    76′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Barbour is bandaged up and will continue, Johnson back on too.

    75′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Sore one for Barbour an Johnson who clash heads going for a header. Both down receiving treatment.

    73′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Nice bit of play by Hammell and McDonald sets up Lasley who fires well wide from 25 yards.

    71′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Kilmarnock sub, Pascali off for the bearded Connolly

    70′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Good save by Samson to beat Grant’s powerful shot over the bar from 15 yards. Corner….cleared by Killie.

    68′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Hamill and Pearson booked. Looked like it got a bit heated between the two.

    64′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Pascali booked for a late challenge on Pearson. Grant’s delivery is too deep and goes out for goal kick.

    63′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    McDonald picks the ball up on the left and crosses high to Erwin but he can only head wide. Awkward chance.

    Tonight’s match attendance at Fir Park is 3,986. Thanks as always for joining us. #MFCvKFC

    59′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Free-kick to ‘Well in decent area, Johnson delivers and it’s nodded wide by what looked like a Killie player.No corner.

    52′ | 2-1 | #MFCvKFC

    Goal, Magennis pulls one back for Killie, tapping home from close range

    49′ | 2-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Killie free-kick in a good wide position,taken short then cleared by Lasley

    46′ | 2-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Johnson and Lasley get the second 45 underway. COYW!

    Half-time | 2-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Two Killie subs, McKenzie and Clingan off for Obadeyi and Kiltie.


    Motherwell 2 – 0 Kilmarnock

    42′ | 2-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Johnson whips in a deep cross which McDonald gets his head to but can’t generate enough power to beat Samson.

    41′ | 2-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Samson called into action again, this time getting his foot onto Johnson’s powerful low drive. All Motherwell now!

    39′ | 2-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Hammell does superbly to release Erwin, who shows enough strength and finishes past Samson to make it 2-0!!!!


    36′ | 1-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Great bit of wing play from Johnson as he skips past Barbour but his drive cross has nobody on the end of it.

    35′ | 1-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Good play down the left wing leads to a ‘Well corner but Miller and Cairney combine to clear the danger.

    30′ | 1-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Ashcroft has a free header 6 yards out but somehow fails to hit the target!

    26’| 1-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Samson can only beat Erwin’s powerful shot out to McDonald who was on hand to tap in from 2 yards!!! 1-0!!


    17′ | 0-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Strong, strong claim for a penalty there! Westlake appeared to move his arm towards to the ball to clear from Grant.

    16′ | 0-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Magennis gets a low shot away from a tight angle which ricochets off Hammell.Long does excellently to get a foot on it!

    9’| 0-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Erwin wins a corner off Pascali…great Conor Grant delivery but nobody on the end of it.

    2′ | 0-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Big chance for Cairney who gets on the end of a low cross but Long is equal to it and O’Brien mops up!

    2′ | 0-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Ball falls nicely for Cairney about 25 yards out and he tries his luck. Thankfully it whizzes well wide.

    Kick-off | 0-0 | #MFCvKFC

    Hamill and McKenzie get the game underway. COYW!!


    Motherwell manager Ian Baraclough:

    “The win drags us closer to Kilmarnock. What happens in those situations, all of a sudden players get edgy, make decisions that you probably wouldn’t do normally, fans get edgy.

    “I feel as though we are a side that are in the ascendancy but it’s all to play for. There are two massive games now for both us and Kilmarnock and it gets us closer and they know we are on their tails.”

    Kilmarnock manager Gary Locke:

    “We knew if we got a result tonight we were okay. The fact that Motherwell have beaten us, we are right in the mix.

    “No point feeling sorry for ourselves, we have got to make sure we respond. We have been on a terrible run and we have to rectify that next week.”


    [poll id=”231″]

  • Archive

    Final day details confirmed

    The SPFL has confirmed the final round of bottom six fixtures in the Premiership will all take place on Saturday 23rd May.

    There was an option for matches to be switched to Friday night for live television coverage on BT Sport, but the league has confirmed the games will go ahead on the Saturday as originally planned – with kick-off 3pm.

    The Steelmen are due to take on Partick Thistle that day in a fixture that could prove to be vital in the bid to avoid the bottom two.

  • Archive

    TV: Law has positive mindset

    Josh Law reckons the mood in the Motherwell camp is positive ahead of three crunch games to end the season.

    The Steelmen sit in the Premiership’s play-off spot, six points adrift of Ross County and tomorrow’s opponents Kilmarnock,  but a win is going to be vital to peg back the Ayrshire side and set-up a dramatic climax to the season.

    Law, who has settled into his role of right back, believes his side can prove the doubters wrong and find their way out of eleventh place.

    Speaking to the broadcast press at today’s press conference, he said:  “The mood in the camp is good and although last week we wanted all three points, a point keeps us within distance of Ross County and Kilmarnock, which makes tomorrow’s game massive for us.”

    [pullquote]There is obviously tension but there is also a confidence and a determination that we can get out of this position and a win tomorrow gives us a chance.[/pullquote]

    “We’ve got to stick together and get through this; it’s our only option and we’ll be looking to get the three points to get things rolling again and set up a tense finish to the season.

    “It’s win or bust, with three games left and six points off safety. If we can win tomorrow it may make Ross County and Kilmarnock a little nervous, so a win is essential.

    “It doesn’t matter if you’ve been here for ten months or ten years, we all have pride in ourselves , our team mates and who we are working for and we owe it to the fans to come together as a group and stay in this division.”

    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: Baraclough wants ‘Well win

    Despite numerous possible permutations for survival, Ian Baraclough concedes his side need to take maximum points tomorrow to be in with any chance of avoiding eleventh place.

    The Steelmen play their seventh Friday night game of the season tomorrow when they take on Kilmarnock, who have lost their last six games, a run which the Fir Park boss is sadly familiar with.

    The Englishman told the assembled press: “We’ve been on the run they are on and it is difficult to get yourself out of it. It’s difficult to suddenly switch from six defeats to thinking we are a decent side.

    “Players have doubts, in themselves and each other. We’ve had that period and managed to get some decent results off the back of it by understanding that we are a good team and have good ability.

    [pullquote]We’ve been on the run they are on and it is difficult to get yourself out of it. It’s difficult to suddenly switch from six defeats to thinking we are a decent side.[/pullquote]

    “Hopefully we can play on the fact they are on a poor run themselves. There will be nerves and an edginess to the game. Supporters can get edgy and sometimes that can transmit onto the players but if we can attack it, we can eradicate those nerves and there will be a confidence in the way we can go and play and that is when you can get the best of the players.

    “We’ll have to go for it as we have to win the game. We’ll have to put in a lot of effort to go and get the chances and we’ll have to be creative and defend well. They won’t come here to just pick up a point and they have their threats, which we know all about, but for me the way we play best is by taking the game by the scruff of the neck, playing on the front foot and trying to play in their half.

    “Of course we need favours from other sides but we’ve got to concentrate on ourselves and we can’t worry about what happens elsewhere or in another weeks time. It’s here and now, it’s a Friday night game and we can make sure we can put teams above us under a certain amount of pressure if we go and win our game.”

    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Curry Night returns this Friday

    Friday football is back at Fir Park yet again and we want you to join us for a ‘Curry Night’ in the Centenary Suite.

    ‘Well face Kilmarnock on Friday 8th May (7.45pm KO) in what will be another vital SPFL Premiership match.

    Join us from 5.30pm onwards to enjoy our tasty three-course curry event with full service and a Pay bar facility pre and post match.

    On your table will be a plentiful supply of Poppadoms and spiced onions. We’ll start with mixed pakoras, served with fresh salad and dipping sauce, followed by your choice of either a Chicken or Vegetable Curry (served with basmati rice and mini naan breads).

    Legendary defender Brian Martin will be the host with your chance to meet first team players and club staff throughout the evening.

    Remember, all hospitality packages at Fir Park also include your match ticket, programme, teamsheet and half time tea too.

    The package is priced at £60 for adults and £45 for concession (both inclusive of VAT). Season Ticket holders can upgrade their regular stand ticket from just £25.

    If you would like to book your seat or table, please phone the Commercial Department on 01698 333333 or email commercial@motherwellfc.co.uk

  • Archive

    Under 20s squad updates

    Motherwell Football Club today confirmed to its Under 20s which players would be offered extended deals.

    David Ferguson, Ben Hall, Chris Cadden and Dylan Mackin have all been offered new contracts to stay with the club.

    In addition, seven players have been promoted from the club’s Elite Academy Under 17s to be first-year full time professionals for 2015/16.

    They are: Dylan Falconer, Jake Hastie, David Turnbull, PJ Morrison, Barry McGuire, Josh Moore and Adam Livingstone.

    Sadly, Max Currie, Morgyn Neill, Danny McNulty, Craig McCall, Liam Anderson and Steven Higgins will leave when their contracts expire at the end of the month.

    Motherwell Football Club would like to sincerely thank each and every player who is leaving for their contribution and wish them every success in the future career.

  • Archive

    Collum to officiate Killie clash

    Willie Collum will take charge of Friday’s Scottish Premiership meeting with Kilmarnock at Fir Park.

    One of Scotland’s most recognisable officials, Willie will be handling his sixth ‘Well game of the campaign.

    The first was at Rugby Park in late August, the home side running out comfortable 2-0 winners. The game didn’t pass without controversy, with Stuart McCall left frustrated at a number of decisions involving Manual Pascali and a missed handball in the box.

    The second was the instantly forgettable 0-4 reverse against Hamilton Accies at Fir Park. When goals from Mickael Antoine-Curier, Tony Andreu and a double from Ali Crawford gave the Accies their biggest win at Fir Park in over 80 years,

    He was the man in the middle for the 2-2 draw with Ross County when Tony Dingwall’s double, including a 94th minute equaliser, cancelled out John Sutton and Henrik Ojamaa’s goals.

    In January, he took charge of Motherwell’s 2-0 defeat to Aberdeen, in which he controversially sent off Stephen McManus; a decision which was later rescinded after an appeal.

    Most recently, he officiated ‘Well’s 1-1 draw with St Johnstone at Fir Park in January. Murray Davidson gave Saints and early lead before Louis Laing saw red on his debut. 10-men Motherwell battled back and equalised through John Sutton, who fired spectacularly into the back of Alan Mannus’ net.

    He took charge of three during the 2013/14 season too.

    His first was a 3-0 win over St Mirren back in December when Lionel Ainsworth and a Henri Anier double separated the sides.

    The second was at Tynecastle a few weeks later, John Sutton scoring the game’s only goal.

    The last was the 2-1 win over Inverness back in May with goals coming from Sutton and a Gary Warren OG.

    Willie is no stranger to ‘Well fans having been a top-flight whistler for a number of years, taking charge of six Motherwell matches the previous term too.

    The first was the 1-0 defeat to Hearts in October 2012 when Danny Grainger’s long-range effort separated the sides.

    He also took charge of both William Hill Scottish Cup clashes with Aberdeen in December.

    In the first meeting at Pittodrie, Niall McGinn headed home a late equaliser to cancel out Jamie Murphy’s opener 10 minutes from time.

    There would be disappointment for the Steelmen in the replay as goals from Rory Fallon and Joe Shaughnessy helped the Dons progress to the next round.

    Motherwell were handed a lifeline in injury-time when Michael Higdon netted from the penalty spot, however Craig Brown’s side held firm in the final minutes.

    He was also the man in the middle for the narrow 3-2 win over St Johnstone in January; Michael Higdon’s hat-trick sealing a terrific three points and also the disappointing 3-0 defeat at Ross County shortly after.

    He also handled the James McFadden-inspired 4-1 victory over Hibs in March and, finally, the 4-3 defeat to Inverness Caley in the Highlands in May.

    His overall record in charge of the Steelmen reads eight wins, fifteen defeats and seven draws from thirty matches (in all competitions).

    In those games, Motherwell have scored 40 and conceded 55.

    59 players have gone into the book, 30 wearing Claret and Amber, while six players have been dismissed – Ian Murray of Hibs at Easter Road five years back, Jerard Aafjes at Falkirk four seasons ago, Paul Dixon at the end of 2009/10, Henrik Ojamaa in that game at Caley and Fraser Kerr down at Rugby Park. Stephen McManus was shown a red card against Aberdeen but that was later rescinded after an appeal and Louis Laing was given his marching orders in January.

    Willie will be assisted by Gary Hilland and Graeme Stewart with Craig Charleston listed as fourth official.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Falkirk Stadium

     Extended highlights from the Falkirk Stadium as a young Steelmen side run out comfortable 0-3 winners.

    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: Johansson praises young ‘Well

    Under 20s boss Jonatan Johansson praised his players after their emphatic win against Falkirk this evening.

    The young Steelmen were excellent and comfortably beat their opponents at the Falkirk Stadium thanks to goals from Dylan Mackin, Steven Higgins and Robbie Leitch.

    Indeed, had it not been for home goalkeeper Graham Bowman, the scoreline may have been even more emphatic.

    And the former Finnish International front man was delighted with what he watched and the way his team played.

    [pullquote]It was one of the most pleasing games of this season in terms of their attitude and shape, pressing and the quality of goals.[/pullquote]

    He told MFC TV: “It was one of the most pleasing games of this season in terms of their attitude and shape, pressing and the quality of goals.

    “We spoke before the game about only having two games left and how much we wanted to go out and show what we’re about, the team spirit we have and generally to have fun and that showed today.

    “The whole day was very good. To see the lads play with the heart and desire was excellent. We’ve got a big game next week and let’s see if we can sign the season off in style.”

    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Falkirk U20s 0 – 3 Motherwell U20s

    Motherwell Under 20s turned in one of their best performances of the season to beat Falkirk 0-3 this evening.

    First half goals from Dylan Mackin and Steven Higgins put ‘Well in a commanding position at the interval.

    Robbie Leitch added a third after the break to secure all three points in a game the Steelmen dominated throughout.

    Indeed, but for some superb goalkeeping from Bairns stopper Graham Bowman, the scoreline may have been even more emphatic.

    Jonatan Johansson made seven changes to the side that beat Partick Thistle last week, but it didn’t upset the team’s rhythm as ‘Well took the game to the hosts from the first minute.

    Paul Lawson had the game’s first shot on the eighth minute, but it sailed high over the bar.

    Two minutes later, after Ryan Blair had fired a similar effort over the bar for the Bairns, Bowman made a great block to stop Mackin opening the scoring after the big striker met a Higgins cross from the left with a powerful downwards header.

    Higgins fired wide and Lawson had an attempted lob from distance comfortably saved as the Steelmen continued to pile on the pressure.

    Bowman was again in top form on the 18th minute when he denied Liam Anderson. Luke Watt’s cross from the left was nodded back by Mackin for the winger and his effort was somehow saved at point-blank range from the Falkirk stopper; Higgins could only bundle the rebound wide.

    Falkirk forced Stewart into action for the first time shortly after when he got down low to his right to save from Thomas Grant.

    Sadly, Paul Lawson’s game lasted just twenty-five minutes before he had to come off, replaced by young Alan Campbell.

    It did little to upset the shape of the visitors who, with their next attack, got their noses in front. Watt was the creator, sending a lovely ball down the left channel for Mackin and with Bowman coming off his line, the big striker lifted it over him and into the net.

    Mackin was in the mood and he had another effort from distance drop just wide before ‘Well made it 0-2 on the 38th minute. Danny McNulty collected the ball in space on the right flank and after pausing for a moment, delivered an excellent low cross that Higgins tucked away from close range.

    Motherwell’s tails were up and Higgins again brought out a save from Bowman after getting onto a Mackin lobbed pass and drilling at goal.

    The same player had the first effort in the second half, again dragging a low shot off target. A minute later, Mackin got in off a long pass from Ben Hall but, with his feet, Bowman again kept the Claret and Amber men out.

    Robbie Leitch was having an excellent match in the hole off the main striker, and he almost scored after getting on the end of a free-kick from the right, only for his lobbed shot to land on the roof of the net.

    He wouldn’t be denied for long though as with the next attack, the 17-year old scored his first ever goal for the Under 20s. McNulty was again the creator, finishing a good move with a teasing near post cross which Leitch acrobatically volleyed home from six yards.

    Motherwell were flying and Bowman again denied Higgins after the nippy front man had got clear of the Falkirk defence. The home keeper was having a super game and had to move his feet quickly to deny Luke Watt, whose whipped cross from the left bounced over everyone and was heading for the corner, but for the outstretched arm of the 22-year old.

    Watt went close again minutes later, but his left-footed cross took a deflection off a defender and clipped the underside of the bar before bouncing out.

    Then, with five minutes left on the clock, Danny McNulty almost got the goal his evening deserved but after a lovely passing move and cross, the full-back’s header came crashing back off the frame of the goal.

    The game soon ended, with ‘Well running out deserved winners. Indeed, it was arguably amongst the most impressive the young Steelmen have been all season. They will now round off their season with a home match against Hamilton next midweek.

    Motherwell: Stewart, McNulty, Watt, McCall, Hall, Kerr, Anderson (Watters – 66mins), Higgins, R. Leitch, Lawson (Campbell – 25mins), Mackin (McMillan – 73mins)

    Subs Not Used: B. Long