Latest News

  • Archive

    Rangers 1 – 3 Motherwell

  • Archive

    TV: McManus up for Play-off spectacle

  • Archive

    Live football in the Cooper Suite

  • Archive

    TV: Baraclough content to be underdogs

  • Archive

    TV: Law signs two-year extension

  • Archive

    Play-off Final Ticket arrangements

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Fir Park

  • Archive

    Partick Thistle draw in pictures

  • Archive

    TV: Baraclough has food for thought

  • Archive

    Motherwell 0 – 0 Partick Thistle

  • Archive

    Rangers 1 – 3 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

    Phil McGhee at Ibrox 

    Motherwell produced their best performance under Ian Baraclough to record their first win at Ibrox since 1997 .

    ‘Well’s hopes of finding a result which would keep the play-off alive for the second leg at Fir Park on Sunday, were surpassed as first half goals from Lee Erwin and Stephen McManus put the Fir Parkers in the driving seat.

    When Lionel Ainsworth made it 3-0 at the start of the second half it sent the small band of ‘Well fans into ecstacy and only a late goal from Darren McGregor dampened their spirits and raised Rangers’ hopes that they can stage a dramatic recovery on Sunday and relegate ‘Well.

    Ian Baraclough deployed Lionel Ainsworth and Marvin Johnson in wide positions to check the overlapping runs of Rangers’ full backs but also use their pace and hopefully catch the Ibrox side on the break. And with Scott McDonald dropping back to join Keith Lasley and Stephen Pearson in the middle of the park ‘Well’s intentions to stifle ‘Gers early in the gamewere clear

    The 950 ‘Well fans in the far corner were relieved to see Kenny Miller break away from Lasley only to curl his shot beyond George Long’s post.

    In the 23rd minute Long produced the first save of the game getting down well to block Nicky Law’s drilled shot from 10 yards.

    Motherwell’s reply was a cross from his brother Josh which found Lee Erwin but his tame header was comfortably held by Cammy Bell.

    The next effort on goal,though, caused Bell a bit more concern as ‘Well took the lead.

    Josh Law was again the provider finding Erwin wide on the right and after dragging the ball into the box the striker tried his luck with an angled left foot shot with Darren McGregor’s outstreched leg sending the ball past his ‘keeper and give Well the upper hand.

    It could have been 2-0 minutes later when a Louis Laing header from Ainsworth’s corner seemed netbound until it was deflected past the post

    However, it took another great save from Long to block Nicky Clark’s snapshot and deny Ranger’s an equaliser.

    That would have brought the Ibrox side right back into the game. Instead a stunning second goal five minutes from half time set ‘Well on their road to an historic victory.

    Five minutes from the break Wallace pulled back McDonald to concede a free kick on the right touch line. Johnston curled the ball into a packed box where McManus rose unchallenged to power a header past Bell and silence the 42,000 Rangers’ fans.

    Having left the field to a barrage of boos the Ibrox crowd loudly welcomed their side back onto the pitch in anticipation of a second half fightback.

    However, any hopes of a ‘Gers recovery were killed within 90 seconds when’Well added a terrific third goal.Pearson nicked the ball in the centre circle before racing upfield. He fed the ball to Erwin who played in Ainsworth who rounded off the move in style smashing the ball past the helpless Bell.

    Rangers’ reply was a thumping drive from Haris Vuckic which was turned round the post by Long with another impressive save.

    In Final attempt to grab a goal and life-line Stuart McCall then sent on Kris Boyd to partner Miller up front.

    Motherwell, though, were confident and calm in possession and looked the Premier side. As Rangers chased the game ‘Well carved through the home defence a had a few more chances which should have produced another goal. McDonald and Johnston curled efforts over the bar before Johnston’s run and cut back set up Ainsworth but from 10 yards only he hammered his shot over the bar when he should have really made it 4-0.

    That miss almost proved costly when at the other end when Long had to produce a wonderful relflex save to prevent Boyd snatching a goal with a trademark back post header.

    With eight minutes remaining Simon Ramsden replaced the limping Pearson and just before Rangers pulled back a goal that gave them some hope. A floated corner into the six yard area was met by McGregor who headed the ball past Long to raise the decibel levels from the Ibrox stands and set up furious finish.

    But as Rangers continued to hoist the ball into the penalty box Laing and McManus in particular stood tall and strong to preserve Motherwell’s two goal lead and hoist them halfway to Premiership safety as the teams prepare for the second leg on Sunday.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Ally Reilly at Ibrox

    FT | #RFCvMFC
    Rangers 1 – 3 Motherwell.
    The Steelmen go back to Fir Park with a 2 goal advantage over their Glasgow rivals


    93′ | 1-3 | #RFCvMFC
    30 seconds left….

    4 minutes added on.

    91′ | 1-3 | #RFCvMFC
    Vuckic advances forward and gets a shot away from the edge of the box. Narrowly pas the post.

    90′ | 1-3 | #RFCvMFC
    A let-off there as Boyd has the ball in the back of the net but the flag is up and he is correctly ruled offside

    87′ | 1-3 | #RFCvMFC
    Motherwell sub, Moore comes on for Erwin.

    82′ | 1-3 | #RFCvMFC
    Goal, McGregor pulls one back for Gers, heading home from a corner.

    82′ | 0-3 | #RFCvMFC
    Pearson limps off for Ramsden.

    77′ | 0-3 | #RFCvMFC
    Rangers corner….ah, ‘Well almost break away but Murdoch tracks back and intercepts Ainsworth’s ball to Erwin.

    73′ | 0-3 | #RFCvMFC
    What a save! Boyd powers a header from 8 yards and Long somehow manages to get it over the bar!!

    69′ | 0-3 | #RFCvMFC
    Motherwell sub, Straker on for Hammell.

    66′ | 0-3 | #RFCvMFC
    Rangers sub, Zaliukas off for Ferguson

    66′ | 0-3 | #RFCvMFC
    What a chance for Ainsworth to make it 4 but he blazes it well over from 12 yards!

    65′ | 0-3 | #RFCvMFC
    Laing booked for a tackle on Miller as he broke away.

    60′ | 0-3 | #RFCvMFC
    Ref misses two clear fouls on Erwin then Johnson…..

    58′ | 0-3 | #RFCvMFC
    Erwin does well to win a corner…falls to Erwin but he can’t get it out his feet and Rangers clear.

    55′ | 0-3 | #RFCvMFC
    And another Rangers sub, Boyd on for Clark.

    53′ | 0-3 | #RFCvMFC
    Rangers sub, Walsh on for Shiels.

    46′ | 0-3 | #RFCvMFC
    Quick throw-in by Miller allows Vuckic in behind the defence but Long makes himself big and makes the stop.

    46′ | 0-3 | #RFCvMFC
    Ainsworth makes it 3, after Pearson and Erwin combine on the breakaway!!!


    45′ | 0-2 | #RFCvMFC
    Lasley and Johnson get the second 45 underway…

    HT | 0-2 | #RFCvMFC
    Big 45 minutes ahead as The Steelmen come out the tunnel at Ibrox with a 2 goal lead….

    HT’ | 0-2 | #RFCvMFC
    Rangers 0 – 2 Motherwell

    42′ | 0-2 | #RFCvMFC
    Miller goes in late on Long and the Rangers man is down receiving treatment.

    40′ | 0-2 | #RFCvMFC
    McManus flick in a header from Johnson’s free-kick!!!! 2-0!!!


    38′ | 0-1 | #RFCvMFC
    McDonald’s free-kick lack the power required to test Bell. Routine stop for the ‘keeper.

    37′ | 0-1 | #RFCvMFC
    McGregor booked for a challenge on Erwin. Free-kick in a good position….

    27′ | 0-1 | #RFCvMFC
    Erwin cuts in off the right and his shot is deflected past bell by McGregor! 1-0 to the Steelmen!


    24′ | 0-0 | #RFCvMFC
    Half-chance for Erwin as he gets on the end of Law’s cross but the ball comes off the back of his head and Bell gathers

    22′ | 0-0 | #RFCvMFC
    Ainsworth wins a corner off Wallace…..decent delivery but McGregor heads clear.

    21′ | 0-0 | #RFCvMFC
    Good save by Long, denying Law from 12 yards after a bit of a defensive mix-up!

    12′ | 0-0 | #RFCvMFC
    Miller gets away from Pearson and Lasley and gets a shot away. Curls it about a yard away from the post.

    11′ | 0-0 | #RFCvMFC
    McDonald has to concede a corner as Foster looked to go past him. Lasley nods the delivery away at the front post.

    10′ | 0-0 | #RFCvMFC
    Johnson swings it in…but it’s a routine stop for Bell who gathers at his back post.

    10′ | 0-0 | #RFCvMFC
    Erwin wins a corner…
    0 retweets 3 favorites

    8′ | 0-0 | #RFCvMFC
    ‘Well counter and Johnson bends in a cross past Foster towards Erwin but Bell gets out and gathers.

    7′ | 0-0 | #RFCvMFC
    Wallace gets down the left wing and gets a ball across goal. Thankfully the ball ricochets off Mcmanus to safety.

    3′ | 0-0 | #RFCvMFC
    Good recovery by Law as he gets back to cover Laing who has lost out to Clark inside the box. Wins a goal kick..

    Kick-off | #RFCvMFC
    Clark and Miller get the game underway. COYW!!!!!!!

    Pre-match | #RFCvMFC
    Here we go then, both teams just coming out the tunnel….


    Motherwell manager Ian Baraclough:

     Coming soon

    Rangers manager Stuart McCall:

    Coming Soon


    [poll id=”234″]

  • Archive

    TV: McManus up for Play-off spectacle

    Stephen McManus says he relishes the big game atmosphere ahead of Motherwell’s play-off double against Rangers.

    The former Scotland International, who was capped on 26 occasions and skippered Scotland, spent seven years playing for Celtic, including Old Firm matches and big European nights.

    The 32-year old is well versed in what it takes to get the job done in front of a ruckus crowd and he has encouraged his ‘Well teammates to relish playing at Ibrox in Thursday night’s big clash.

    [pullquote]As a player you want to play in the biggest atmospheres, the biggest occasions.[/pullquote]

    “It’s massive; a huge game for both teams,” he said.

    “This might be the biggest Premiership/Championship play-off there will ever be, who knows? It’s a big stage but as a player, that’s what it is all about. Our fans will be right up for it, there will be passion and it’s great for them as well.

    “As a player you want to play in the biggest atmospheres, the biggest occasions.

    “As you get older you appreciate that a bit more because you don’t know when your next chance for a cup final will be and this has a feel of that because it’s a pressurised situation.”

    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Live football in the Cooper Suite

    The  first leg of the Play-off final with Rangers will be broadcast in the Davie Cooper Suite tomorrow evening.

    If you missed out on tickets for Ibrox, this is the perfect location for Motherwell fans to take in the ninety minutes with their friends as The Steelmen and Rangers battle it out for their place in the SPFL Premiership.

    The club have invested in two new large screen tv’s, as well as the existing set-up, and there will be a fully stocked bar to take advantage of.

    Doors will open from 6.30pm with a 7.45pm kick-off.

    Entry is free.

  • Archive

    TV: Baraclough content to be underdogs

    ‘Well boss Ian Baraclough insists his side will relish the tag of underdogs as they prepare to take on Rangers tomorrow night at Ibrox.

    The Steelmen have already been written off by some quarters, but the former Scunthorpe Utd and Sligo Rovers manager believes his side can prove the doubters wrong and stay in the SPFL Premiership.

    The Fir Park boss believes the media have unfairly labeled the upcoming clash with Stuart McCall’s side as a foregone conclusion, but hopes to upset the odds that are supposedly stacked against his team.

    “They’ve written us off from the off for this one,” stated Baraclough.

    “And that feeling of upsetting the odds really appeals to me. I’d say a lot of the media build up has been that the winner of the Rangers vs Hibs semi-final was going on to be promoted.

    [pullquote]So I’d love to turn that on its head. There’s two teams in this play-off and whichever team comes out on top will have earned the right to be in the top division.[/pullquote]

    ‘Well’s current side have numerous players who have big-match experience at Ibrox and Baraclough will look to call upon his own experiences of similar occassions.

    He said: “”I’ve been involved in play-offs down the years as a player – unfortunately beaten by a Bradford team at the old Wembley – and it wasn’t nice to take.

    “I’ve been involved as a coach at Scunthorpe where we beat Millwall at Wembley to get promotion.

    “They are great days when you win and everyone wants to feel that side of it and you learn as well from the negative experience of losing.

    “We’d rather not be involved in the play-offs, but now it’s here, I’ll relish it and enjoy it for what it is because, when you win in these situations, it’s a great feeling.

    “I want us to experience that winning feeling. The idea is not to be intimidated by it and be inspired by it.”


    MFC TV

  • Archive

    TV: Law signs two-year extension

    Motherwell FC is today pleased to confirm Josh Law has signed a new two-year deal with the club.

    Law has made the right-back position his own following Ian Baraclough’s arrival before Christmas, winning many plaudits for his performances on the flank.

    And now the 25-year old, who has been a virtual ever present this campaign, has committed his future to the club by agreeing a deal to stay until the summer of 2017, knocking back offers from South of the Border.

    [pullquote]This is the club who showed faith in me, gave me my chance and the people at here are good to me so I feel as if I owe them so loyalty.[/pullquote]

    Speaking to MFC TV, Law said: “I’m delighted to get things sorted early in the summer and I can fully concentrate on another two years at Motherwell.

    “This is the club who showed faith in me, gave me my chance and the people at here are good to me so I feel as if I owe them so loyalty.

    “My focus, first and foremost, is to try and ensure Motherwell stay in the SPFL Premiership then hopefully we can kick on from there.”

    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Play-off Final Ticket arrangements

    Ticket details for the Play-off Final against Rangers can now been confirmed.

    After discussions between both clubs, Motherwell fans have been allocated 950 tickets for Ibrox for Thursday night’s game, priced at £5.

    These will be sold from 3.30pm today on a first come, first served basis, with the modest number of fans who have already renewed their 2015/16 season ticket guaranteed a ticket.

    For the 2nd leg, Rangers have been allocated 1,500 tickets for the Maxim Office Park South Stand. These will be delivered to Rangers today (Monday), who will distribute via their normal channels.

    Home tickets, priced at £10 for adults and £5 for concessions, are still on sale – but will now only be available to Season Ticket holders, Well Society members or ‘Well fans who are on the club’s ticketing database and have purchased home end tickets before.

    Any Motherwell fans wishing to buy tickets for the home end, maximum three per holder, should do so by bringing their 2014/15 season ticket or ‘Well Society membership card and some sort of photo ID, a maximum of three tickets per Season Ticket / Society member.

    Any Motherwell fan who isn’t either a Season Ticket holder or a ‘Well Society member or isn’t registered on the club system for previous home end ticket purchases, should contact a friend, family member or colleague who is, in order to obtain a ticket.

    ‘Well fans should note that they are responsible for any tickets they purchase.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Fir Park

    Extended highlights from Fir Park as Motherwell and Partick Thistle play out a dull 0-0 draw in the final league game of the season.

    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Partick Thistle draw in pictures

    Action pictures from this afternoon’s 0-0 stalemate between Motherwell and Partick Thistle at Fir Park.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix.

    [svgallery name=”partickthistle230515″]

  • Archive

    TV: Baraclough has food for thought

    Ian Baraclough admitted one or two players have given him food for thought ahead of the Play-off Final this coming week.

    The Steelmen and Thistle played out a fairly uneventful afternoon at Fir Park, with little in the way of clear cut oppertunities.

    However, of the nine changes Baraclough made to his starting eleven, there were some of who may have played themselves into contention ahead of the double-header against Rangers.

    [pullquote]“I wanted players to step out and make a claim to be involved in the shake-up on Thursday and the following Sunday.”[/pullquote]

    Speaking after the match, the Fir Park boss said: “I wanted players to step out and make a claim to be involved in the shake-up on Thursday and the following Sunday. The game itself had a real end-of-season feel to it.

    “There were one or two stand-outs. Luke Watt, for a young lad coming in, did really well.

    “He looked composed at full-back and, for the last half an hour, had to go in at centre-back. He can take a lot of good things from that.

    “We got a clean sheet for Dan (Twardzik, goalkeeper) and his back four, and the rest of the team.”

    MFC TV

  • Archive

    Motherwell 0 – 0 Partick Thistle

    [tab:Match report]

    Phil McGhee Fir Park

    Motherwell played out an end of season no scoring draw with Partick Thistle to extend their unbeaten home run to seven games.

    But in a side which started with nine changes, the game provided little indication of the selection and tactics that Ian Baraclough will deploy in the two Premiership play-off games against Rangers over the next eight days.

    For the first time in recent years Motherwell fans had nothing to celebrate after the final game of the league season.

    Clearly with a view to resting players ahead of the double header against Rangers, Baraclough made sweeping changes. retaining only two players, Simon Ramsden and Conor Grant, from the side which lost
    at Paisley.

    The changes also gave some recalled players like Dan Twardzik, Louis Laing, Stuart Carswell, Lionel Ainsworth and John Sutton an opportunity to claim a starting place at Ibrox on Thursday evening.

    And it was Twardzik, in his first game since January, who caught the eye over the 90 minutes. Twice in the opening 15 minutes the ‘keeper was a forced into low diving saves to push long range drives from Stephen O’Donnell and Gary Fraser away from his goal.

    At the other end ‘Well played with a bit more freedom and created a couple of half chances but Scott Fox had to wait until the 22nd minute for his first save, smothering a low cross-cum-shot from Dom Thomas.

    There was little to enthuse either set of fans as the game had a genuine end of season feel about it.

    Five minutes from half-time home hopes were raised when Craig Moore sprinted towards the Thistle goal but by the time the striker had reached the penalty area, O’Donnell had recovered to make a blocking tackle.

    Then just before the end of an uneventful first half, and with almost identical efforts, former Fir Park player Kallum Higginbotham curled a free kick over Twardzik’s goal before Moore did likewise at the other end, the Motherwell striker’s curler clipping the top of the bar on the way over.

    Jack Leitch replaced Ainsoworth at half time but it was Higginbotham who had another strike at goal this time down the centre which Twardzik did well to hold the ball at the first attempt.

    After 57 minutes Ramsden was replaced by Mark O’Brien, just before Twardzik produced a stunning save twisting in the air to touch a dipping volley from Fraser over his crossbar.

    Motherwell were making little impression on the visitor’s goal, but the manager’s intentions were clear when, having completed 62 minutes on his return from injury, Laing was withdrawn from the action and replaced by Josh Law.

    After a ‘Well corner was only cleared to the edge of the box Thomas did well to keep his volley on target but it was a comfortable save for Fox.

    The Thistle ‘keeper was fully tested, though, in the 65th minute when he dived to his left hand post to palm out Sutton’s low free kick and deny the striker his 13th goal of the season.

    Higginbotham then sped into the ‘Well box but his intended cut back for the unmarked Lyle Taylor was cut out by the back tracking Straker.

    With 15 minutes remaining ‘Well passed up a great chance to open the scoring. Sutton’s subtle touch released Moore in behind the Thistle defence but after holding off O’Donnell the striker dragged his shot across goal and beyond the post.

    Five minutes later the home side scorned an even better chance. This time Moore was the provider and having nicked the ball off Ben Richards-Everton at the corner of the box, he played the ball to Sutton in the centre of the area. But after swivelling on the penalty spot, he screwed his shot wide of a begging target.

    Thomas then wriggled along the bye-line before his attempt to pick out Moore was blocked. From the resultant corner Straker found Sutton rising high six yards out but his header was straight at the ‘keeper as ‘Well’s determined push in the second part of the half failed to produce a winner.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Ally Reilly at Fir Park

    FT | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC

    Motherwell 0 – 0 Partick Thistle

    86′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Straker floats in a great ball to the head of Sutton but it’s easy for Fox. Straight at him from 9 yards.

    81′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Thistle sub, McLaughlin on for Higginbotham.

    80′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Great chance for Sutton as Moore squares it to him but with the goal gaping, he gets the finish all wrong.

    76′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Partick sub, Craigen on for Wilson.

    75′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Great ball from Sutton sets Moore clear but under pressure from the defender, fires just wide of the post.

    69′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Higginbotham races through on goal and opts to cut it back to Taylor but Straker is there and somehow intercepts!

    66′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Thistle sub, Doolan off for Lyle.

    65′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Moore wins a free-kick, 25 yards out. Ideal position….Sutton shoots low and forces a good save from Fox.

    62′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Final Motherwell sub, Law on for Laing.

    58′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Great effort from Fraser from 30 yards out which forces a spectacular stop from Twardzik!

    55′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Motherwell sub, O’Brien on for Ramsden.

    52′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Chance for Thistle, again it’s from range. This time Higginbotham shoots straight at Twardzik.

    45′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Partick get the second 45 underway.

    HT | #MFCvPTFC
    Half-time sub for Motherwell, Jack Leitch is on for Lionel Ainsworth

    HT | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Both sides back out for the second half…

    HT | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Motherwell 0 – 0 Partick Thistle

    44′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Free-kick to Motherwell in a good area, 20 yards out….Moore fires just wide of the post.

    43′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Higginbotham strikes a free-kick from 25 yards just over the bar.

    41′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Moore almost bursts clear through by O’Donnell gets back and is eventually bowled over by the striker. Free-kick.

    40′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Very, very little in the way of chances here.

    38′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Sutton gets down the side of the Thistle defence and squares to Moore who can’t get the ball under control. Cleared.

    22′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Quick feet from Thomas gets him past O’Donnell but his low cross/shot is easily gathered by Fox.

    14′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Twardzik called into action again, this time Fraser lets fly with a powerful shot from 25 yards. ‘Keeper did well!

    9′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    O’Donnell daws the first save of the game with a long-range drive which looked awkward for Twardzik.

    7′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Another Motherwell, corner after a good spell of possession. Fox punches Ainsworth’s delivery clear though.

    2′ | 0-0 | #MFCvPTFC
    Moore wins an early ‘Well corner…..Sutton wins the header but there’s a Thistle body in the way and they clear

    Kick-off | #MFCvPTFC
    Moore and Carswell get the game underway. COYW!


    Motherwell manager Ian Baraclough:

    “I wanted players to step out and make a claim to be involved in the shake-up on Thursday and the following Sunday. The game itself had a real end-of-season feel to it.

    “There were one or two stand-outs. Luke Watt, for a young lad coming in, did really well. He looked composed at full-back and, for the last half an hour, had to go in at centre-back. He can take a lot of good things from that.

    “We got a clean sheet for Dan (Twardzik, goalkeeper) and his back four, and the rest of the team.”

    Partick Thistle manager Alan Archibald:

    “We had a changed team as well, three guys making their starting debuts, so that was pleasing from our point of view.

    “We were really, really pleased with them. We have lost a few boys so it lets us know there are a few boys coming through.”


    [poll id=”233″]