Latest News

  • Archive

    McFadden appointed Assistant Manager

  • Archive

    Preview: Motherwell vs E. Stirlingshire

  • Archive

    Heneghan: I’ve settled in quickly

  • Archive

    McGhee: I want to work the squad harder

  • Archive

    Charleston in charge against the Shire

  • Archive

    Curry Night returns to Fir Park

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Galabank Stadium

  • Archive

    Annan win in pictures

  • Archive

    McGhee: Countless positives after win

  • Archive

    Annan Athletic 1-3 Motherwell

  • Archive

    McFadden appointed Assistant Manager

    Motherwell FC is today delighted to confirm the appointment of James McFadden as Assistant Manager.

    Following Stephen Robinson’s move to Oldham Athletic a few weeks ago, the club has been looking for a replacement.

    And ‘Well boss Mark McGhee has made his mind up, appointing the 33-year old former Scotland legend, who is currently progressing through his coaching badges with the Scottish FA.

    Faddy, who has signed a deal until the end of the current season, will also still register as a player.

    Speaking of his new assistant, McGhee said: “I am delighted James has taken the role as I think he has fabulous qualities to be an Assistant.

    “He has played at the highest level, worked with some tremendous coaches and any time you speak to him, you can appreciate he has a deep understanding of the game.

    [pullquote]Not only that, he is an extremely determined individual, he’s young, ambitious and has very high standards. He will demand from players and other staff at the club, including myself, and that’s exactly the type of individual I wanted.[/pullquote]

    “He also has an in-depth knowledge of Scottish football, both club and individual players, and will add significantly to the coaching staff at the club. We’re absolutely thrilled to have him.”

    McFadden added: “When I spoke with the manager about taking the role, I started to get excited about what we could achieve.

    “Everyone knows I love the club and will work as hard as I possibly can to make a success of things.

    “It’s something new and it’ll be a change for me, but it’s an exciting one and one I think I can handle.

    “I look forward to working with Mark McGhee and with the players. I want to work with and develop individuals, particularly the younger guys, and hopefully pass on helpful information that will make them better players.”

  • Archive

    Preview: Motherwell vs E. Stirlingshire

    By: Lewis Irons

    The Steelmen play host to East Stirlingshire in the BetFred League Cup on Tuesday night, looking to record a second consecutive victory in the competition.

    Mark McGhee’s men go in to the third Group F fixture on the back of a convincing 3-1 win away to Annan Athletic.

    Despite the Shire’s recent fall to non-league football; McGhee is not taking the fixture lightly, as his side strive to qualify for the knockout stages of the competition.

    One of the major boosts for the ‘Well boss is the recent form of striker Louis Moult, who is set to undergo surgery on an injury.

    The Englishman featured against Annan and bagged a brace and lasted the entire 90 minutes.

    And with Tuesday’s visitors under new management in John Sludden, the Fir Parkers will hope for a similar result to take their points tally to 6.

    Lee Lucas, who featured as a trialist against Annan, will hope to recover from the knock that saw him leave the field after half an hour.

    Star attacker Marvin Johnson, who dazzled against the League Two side on Saturday, will look to continue his fine form after registering two assists and scoring a wonder goal.

    Defensively, the Steelmen looked solid against Annan, with new signing Ben Heneghan the player to watch as his game goes from strength to strength with every passing match day.

    With the Shire yet to pick up a point in Group F, it hasn’t been an easy start for their new manager.

    But with the clubs sights aimed at returning to the competitive leagues, the underdogs will be out to prove themselves against Mark McGhee’s side, in what is set to be an interesting League Cup clash.


    Having impressed already during his short time with the Fir Parkers, centre-back Ben Heneghan will be hoping to continue his fine form under Mark McGhee’s tutelage.

    The 22-year-old, who joined from National League side Chester, has slotted seamlessly alongside Stephen McManus at the heart of the ‘Well defence.

    Standing at 6ft 4in, the Englishman has demonstrated natural aerial dominance, as well as a relaxed, confident presence with the ball at his feet.

    The defender, who has represented England at youth level, is not only a coup for this season, but for the future of the club.

    At just 22, Heneghan admits he is learning from the experience of McManus and the challenge of sides like Rangers.

    He said: “I’ve played in the two cup games so far – the Rangers game was a very good tempo which was a step-up for me and then against Annan the other day was another good game.

    “It’s good just to get the minutes under my belt and get used to the tempo of the game really.”

    He added: “[McManus is] helping me massively and with all of his experience I can learn so much from him – so hopefully I can keep doing what I’m doing and get picked and learn more.”

    As well as his performances on the pitch, Heneghan added that he has settled well off it too.

    He said: “Off the pitch has been a total change, but I’m comfortable and I’ve settled in quicker than I thought I would.”


    East Stirlingshire travel to Fir Park on the back of a 3-0 defeat at home to Rangers.

    That result came following a 3-1 defeat to Stranraer, leaving the club at the foot of Group F.

    But the Shire, like Motherwell, have played one game fewer than table toppers Rangers and will be looking to kick-start their League Cup campaign with their first victory tomorrow night.

    The side also come into the fixture under new management, as well as no longer holding their competitive league status.

    John Sludden was appointed as manager in the summer, following the clubs relegation to the Lowland League.

    He comes in to the role alongside assistant Martin Mooney, and together the two are faced with the task of returning the club to the top tiers of the Scottish game.

    Last season was one of the toughest for the fans to bear in their clubs history – being relegated from the top flights of Scottish football for the first time since 1955.

    But there are some similarities between East Stirlingshire and the Steelmen.

    One of the glaring similarities was the Shire’s old stadium name: Firs Park.

    However, they left their ground eight years ago, and now share with Stenhousemuir; another similarity, as Motherwell have previous experience after ground sharing with Gretna in 2007.

    The Shire face some rebuilding though, having lost both David McKenna and Max Wright to their Group F opponents Annan – with the two sides facing each other on Saturday.

    One of the other losses for the club came in the form of young, promising right-back Ross Gilmour.

    The 22-year-old made the switch to League One outfit Albion Rovers having arrived at East Stirling from the U20s set-up at Dundee United.

    With a number of new faces arriving at the Shire though, the club will be hopeful of bouncing back into League Two.

  • Archive

    Heneghan: I’ve settled in quickly

    Summer signing Ben Heneghan admitted he has settled in quicker than he thought he would at Fir Park.

    The 6ft 4 inch centre defender signed after two successful years at National League side Chester, and has impressed manager Mark McGhee and Motherwell fans in his first appearances in Claret and Amber.

    Speaking to the press today, the 22-year-old spoke of the warm-welcome he’s received from everyone at Motherwell FC.

    He said: “I’ve settled in really quickly to be honest, the lads made me feel welcome since the day I got here. I’ve got my own place sorted now too so I’m happy.”

    He added: “Off the pitch has been a total change, but I’m comfortable and I’ve settled in quicker than I thought I would.”

    In terms of his performances, Heneghan has already gained his plaudits and has settled in to Mark McGhee’s back line extremely well.

    [pullquote]It’s good just to get the minutes under my belt and get used to the tempo of the game really.[/pullquote]

    He said: “I’ve played in the two cup games so far – the Rangers game was a very good tempo which was a step-up for me and then against Annan the other day was another good game.

    “It’s good just to get the minutes under my belt and get used to the tempo of the game really.”

    Having partnered Stephen McManus so far, the young defender feels he has gained valuable experience already.

    He said: “He’s helping me massively and with all of his experience I can learn so much from him – so hopefully I can keep doing what I’m doing and get picked and learn more.”

    Heneghan spoke of tomorrow night’s fixture against East Stirling, adding that the team need to carry the attitude from the Annan victory in to the third group match.

    He said: “It was good to get the three points because obviously we needed the win. We’ve got to get the win tomorrow night, simple as that, we’ve got to take the professional approach and get the three points.”

  • Archive

    McGhee: I want to work the squad harder

    ‘Well boss Mark McGhee today admitted his players fitness may be affected by the League Cup ahead of the new season, as he is restricted to how hard he can work the squad.

    Speaking to the press this morning at Fir Park, the manager outlined what he believed to be the impacts of summer football on his pre-season preparations.

    He said: “There’s pro’s and con’s to the League Cup, and I think one of the con’s is that last Thursday when we would’ve had two sessions, we only had one because we had a competitive game coming up.

    “We didn’t want to risk leaving the boys short of legs, whereas if we were playing a friendly on Saturday we would’ve worked them hard on Thursday twice.

    “For me, that’s a negative because I’d like to be working them harder.”

    [pullquote]What happens is you have the team who play, but then you have another ten or so who aren’t getting a match and they’re not getting the running either.[/pullquote]

    He added: “What happens is you have the team who play, but then you have another ten or so who aren’t getting a match and they’re not getting the running either.”

    McGhee addressed the injury concerns surrounding his squad, after trialist Lee Lucas limped off after half an hour against Annan during the 3-1 win on Saturday.

    McGhee said: “I thought he started the game well and showed a little bit of what I’d seen in training that made him a little different from Lasley and McHugh.”

    He added: “It was a shame for the boy because when he’s been running in training he’s been right up the front, he’s a fit lad, its not like he’s went in to a game and it was too much for him.”

    But there are positives for the Fir Parkers, who will be boosted by the return of star striker Scott McDonald.

    The manager said: “Scott trained this morning so hopefully he’ll be fine and if he is fine he’ll obviously play tomorrow night.”

  • Archive

    Charleston in charge against the Shire

    Referee for Tuesday’s Betfred Cup clash with East Stirlingshire at Fir Park is Craig Charleston.

    It will be Craig’s first ‘Well match of the season and only his fourth ever appointment in charge of the Steelmen.

    The last was back in September 2014, a 1-1 draw with Hamilton in the same competition, a game that Accies eventually progressed through on penalties.

    Previous to that was at Fir Park, when the Claret & Amber men edged out Kilmarnock 2-1 August 2013. A Stephen McManus OG gave the Ayrshire side the lead but goals from Henri Anier and John Sutton handed the then Stuart McCall led Motherwell all three points.

    The other moment of controversy was a red card for Simon Ramsden late in the game for a second bookable offence.

    The only other ‘Well appointment was back in February 2012 – a dull and forgetful 0-0 draw with St Mirren in Paisley.

    It was a fairly comfortable afternoon for the 43-year old with the only moment of controversy being a denied penalty when Nicky Law went tumbling in the box, but it wasn’t given.

    Both Ivan Stankovic and Kevin McElhinney will assist Craig on the night.

  • Archive

    Curry Night returns to Fir Park

    Motherwell host East Stirlingshire at Fir Park this Tuesday, 7.45pm kick off and hospitality is available to all supporters in our Centenary Suite.

    Arrival from 5.30pm, supporters can enjoy a two course Indian meal in the comfort of our Centenary Suite then take their seats in the Phil O’Donnell stand to watch the League Cup match.

    An Amber package is priced at £55 which includes the meal, drinks pre & post-match match, ticket to watch the game, programme and half-time refreshments.

    The Claret package, £35, provides access to a pay-bar, your meal, match ticket and half-time refreshments too.

    Should you wish to take the game in, and visit the Centenary Suite only for half-time refreshments a ticket is priced £25 for adults with £20 for a concession ticket and Juvenile £10.

    To book your place at the game, please call 01698 333333 or email hospitality@motherwellfc.co.uk

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Galabank Stadium

    Highlights from Galabank Stadium as goals from Marvin Johnson and  a Louis Moult double seals a 1-3 win for the Steelmen.

  • Archive

    Annan win in pictures

    Action images from today’s 1-3 win over Annan Athletic in the Betfred Cup.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix

    [svgallery name=”annan230716″]

  • Archive

    McGhee: Countless positives after win

    ‘Well boss Mark McGhee was impressed with the performance from every player on the park today – as his side dominated in a 3-1 win over Annan Athletic.

    Speaking to MFC TV, McGhee praised his squad on their work rate and team-work, in what was an extremely positive display from the Steelmen.

    Last season’s top scorer Louis Moult bagged a brace, but such was the high standard of performance that it was team-mate Marvin Johnson who claimed the man of the match award.

    But McGhee said: “I thought everyone was excellent today. Marvin gets that sort of attention with the way he plays, taking on players and driving forward, but defensively we were brilliant too.

    “I thought Lionel worked hard for the team and did really well and Stevie Hammell pushed Marvin close for Man of the Match, in my opinion.

    “Defensively, other than the one slip at the goal, we didn’t make a single mistake all afternoon really, Ben Heneghan won everything in the air.”

    [pullquote]Today we’ve played well and got the three points and obviously we want to win the cup, so the points are important.[/pullquote]

    The manager touched on all of his players and added: “I hope I’ve not left anybody out.”

    With such a positive feeling around Mark McGhee’s squad, he spoke of the importance of the three points.

    He said: “The result against Rangers was disappointing but we created the better chances. Today we’ve played well and got the three points and obviously we want to win the cup, so the points are important.”

    The Fir Parkers host East Stirlingshire on Tuesday in their third match in the Betfred Cup in group F.

    With three points wrapped up today, McGhee is looking ahead to the next competitive fixture with confidence as the squad’s pre-season preparations are starting to click.

  • Archive

    Annan Athletic 1-3 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

    A Marvin Johnson inspired ‘Well continued their Betfred Cup campaign with an impressive 3-1 away win over  Annan Athletic.

    The former Kidderminster winger was in inspired form and put the Fir Parkers ahead with a stunning strike after sixteen minutes. Annan levelled up just before half-time but a double from Louis Moult, passed fit enough to play before the match despite a clear up operation on Tuesday, both set-up by Johnson, was enough to take all three points.

    Trialist Lee Lucas was named in midfield alongside the returning skipper Keith Lasley, in what was a strong starting eleven.

    And it was a positive start for ‘Well, who immediately got into the swing of things in the opening minutes, keeping the ball comfortably and threatening early on.

    But the story of the opening minutes was Annan’s desire to match up to the Steelmen all across the park, with a firm challenge on Louis Moult in the second minute resulting in a free-kick for the Fir Parkers in a good position, but the resulting delivery was cleared.

    A minute later and Annan brought about another free-kick, this time a late, hard challenge on Carl McHugh forced Walsh to blow his whistle again and produce a yellow card for Krissian.

    Annan’s Wright gave away another free-kick just outside the box, cheaply pulling back an accelerating Ainsworth, but again the ‘Well’s cross was cleared.

    It looked like Annan’s willingness to foul McGhee’s men would bring about their downfall, as yet another foul, again from Wright, led to a free-kick.

    And when the ball came across, Moult almost scored but the Englishman’s touch at goal was not made easy due to seeing it late, and the keeper saved comfortably.

    Two minutes later and another  glorious chance went begging for the Steelmen. Stevie Hammell guided a low ball across the face of goal, but the bounce was too high for Lucas at the back-post and it was steered inches over the bar from close range.

    However, it wouldn’t be too long before the opening goal arrived and when it did, it was a piece of magic from marvellous Marvin Johnson. Hammell’s throw-in dropped to Johnson, who spun his man, let the ball bounce up and struck a stunning half-volley over Currie from a narrow angle.

    The ‘Well enjoyed long spells of possession after going in front; spraying the ball across the park with ease and dominating the game.

    And the excellent possession nearly led to what could’ve been one of the goals of the season already. Some neat passing among the whole side resulted in Johnson playing a lovely, neat one-two with Moult, who flicked the ball into the goal-scorers path, but his low, venomous shot from outside the box was well saved by Currie.

    An incredible, searching ball from trialist Lucas nearly fell into the path of Moult, but an important flicked header put it out for a corner. But unfortunately, that would be his last contribution as his day was cut short when he limped off the park to be replaced by Chris Cadden – the trialist impressing in the 35 minutes he was on the pitch.

    Moult had an ambitious effort on 40 minutes, but the forwards strike was unlucky as it flew wide after catching a deflection.

    Despite his injury concerns the Englishman looked active and hungry all half. From the resulting corner, the ‘Well were a matter of centimetres from being two-up when McManus rose up and headed towards goal, crashing off the under-side of the crossbar.

    Incredibly, despite being camped in their own half for the whole half, a minute before the break though and Annan levelled. A testing cross from Riberio was met by Rabin Omar, who headed past Samson from close range.

    The two sides went into the break level, despite the Steelmen’s gulf in terms of both possession and chances.

    Motherwell were off to a flyer at the start of the second half, winning another free-kick in a dangerous area. The whipped ball in was tipped away by Currie, and a goal-mouth scramble somehow led to the ball being hooked clear by the home side who were somehow still level.

    Marvin Johnson continued to be the Fir Parkers most exciting player going forward on the day, spinning his marker brilliantly and striking low and hard on goal, but it was well blocked.

    Lionel Ainsworth worked the ball brilliantly in to the box, playing a dinked one-two with Moult, but his half volley was closed down.

    The opening ten minutes of the second half was all Motherwell and Ainsworth rolled the ball to Hammell, whose early cross fell to Tait at the back post, but the full-backs effort clipped an Annan defender en route to goal and went behind for a goal-kick.

    Marvin Johnson was at it again two minutes later, dancing his way past numerous challenges as he drove through the middle of the park before Rabin Omar clipped his heels – Walsh blew for another Motherwell free-kick.

    Louis Moult was agonisingly denied a goal by a defender on the line, as Motherwell’s number 9 rose up to head the ball at goal from a corner.

    He went close just a minute later too, when Tait clipped a ball in to the striker. Moult flicked it over Currie who retreated towards his goal to collect the dipping header on his line.

    Just two minutes later and it finally paid off for Moult, who chested the ball brilliantly past Currie in the 61st minute. But it was the build-up play between Moult and Johnson on the lead up to the goal that was perhaps more impressive.

    A long ball was superbly flicked beyond the defence by Moult into the path of Johnson down the right flank. The attacker held it up and swung a brilliant ball into the path of Moult who had continued his run to prod home from close range.

    Just two minutes later and Moult had a brace.

    The striker was slipped in behind the defence by Johnson and with just the keeper to beat, made no mistake from inside the box, passing the ball neatly in to the bottom corner to put the game beyond Annan with just over 25 minutes left.

    With 12 minutes to go, ‘Well boss McGhee made a double substitution, with Thomas replacing Ainsworth and Mackin replacing Johnson.

    And immediately Mackin made an impact, collecting the ball near the by-line and holding it up well, forcing a foul and winning the Fir Parkers a free-kick in a dangerous position, but the following set piece was defended well by the hosts.

    The game settled for the final ten minutes as the Steelmen controlled the ball and saw out the 3-1 victory to seal all three points.

    [tab:As it happened]

     Alastair Reilly at Galabank Stadium

    FT: Annan Athletic 1 – 3 Motherwell #AAFCvMFC

    78′ | 1-3

    Motherwell subs, Thomas on for Ainsworth and Mackin on for Johnson

    69′ | 1-3

    McHugh booked for pulling down Dachnowicz about 30 yards from goal.

    66′ | 1-3

    Annan sub, Dachnowicz on for Riberio

    65′ | 1-3

    McKenna is booked for a clumsy tackle just outside the Motherwell technical area.

    62′ | 1-3

    MOULT spins his man 40 yards out, bears down and goal and cooly slots it past Currie to give the Steelmen a 1-3 lead


    61′ | 1-2

    Motherwell are back in front. A superb ball in from Johnson leaves MOULT 2 yards out and able to chest it in past Currie! 1-2


    56′ | 1-1

    Moult’s header is cleared off the line by Black! Corner after corner but no way through for the Steelmen.

    55′ | 1-1

    Omar is booked for hauling down Johnson as he broke away.

    53′ | 1-1

    Tait’s volley from just outside the box is deflected over for a corner but Motherwell can’t capitalise.

    …then Ainsworth is penalised for attempting an overhead kick. Deemed to be dangerous.

    47′ | 1-1

    Free-kick for Motherwell right on the edge of the box. From a narrow angle, Johnson forces a save from Currie….

    McKenna gets the second half underway.

    HT : Annan Athletic 1 – 1 Motherwell #AAFCvMFC

    44′ | 1-1

    Goal – Annan are back on level terms, Omar heading home from 8 yards

    42′ | 0-1

    Off the bar from McManus! Corner was whipped into the front post area and the big defender crashes a header off the woodwork!

    40′ | 0-1

    Long-range shot from Moult and it isn’t far wide! Good effort.

    34′ | 0-1

    Motherwell make a change, Lucas limps off and is replaced by Cadden.

    31′ | 0-1

    Whipped in ball from Deep by Lucas forces Watson to head it wide for a corner.

    30′ | 0-1

    Annan sub, Cuddihy makes way for Park

    24′ | 0-1

    Lovely passage of passing before Johnson combines with Moult on the edge of the box and the winger’s shot stings Currie’s palms

    16′ | 0-1

    Hammell with a throw-in to JOHNSON who spins and volleys it past Currie. 0-1 to Motherwell!


    13′ | 0-0

    Glorious chance for Lucas at the back post but Hammell’s cross takes an awkward bounce and he steers it over from 5 yards!

    11′ | 0-0

    Great ball in from Ainsworth finds Moult 5 yards out but he can’t adjust his body quick enough to trouble Currie.

    9′ | 0-0

    Black takes no chances and sweeps Johnson’s flick-on out for a corner….Currie does enough to clear the delivery.

    5′ | 0-0

    Half chance there for Annan as Wright rises for meet a deep Omar ball but it is well wide.

    3′ | 0-0

    Krissian enters the ref’s book, for a rash challenge on McHugh.

    2′ | 0-0

    Motherwell have a free-kick, on the left hand side. Ainsworth delivers but it is headed clear by Swinglehurst

    Lasley gets the action underway. COYW!

    Both teams emerge from the tunnel, Motherwell in their white third strip and Annan in black and yellow….


    Motherwell manager Mark McGhee:

    “The result against Rangers was disappointing but we created the better chances.

    “Today we’ve played well and got the three points and obviously we want to win the Cup, so the points are important.”

    Annan Athletic Manager Jim Chapman



    [poll id=”276″]