Latest News

  • Archive

    Update: Replacement Dons tickets

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Excelsior Stadium

  • Archive

    Gordon: Happy with performance

  • Archive

    Craigan: Always room to improve

  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 3 – 1 St Johnstone U20s

  • Archive

    McGhee: Focussing on positives

  • Archive

    Lucas: Bringing something different

  • Archive

    Muir to officiate Dons clash

  • Archive

    ‘Well U20s set for Saints

  • Archive

    Made in Motherwell: Ian St John

  • Archive

    Update: Replacement Dons tickets

    Motherwell supporters who made the trip to Pittodrie in December are reminded to take their tickets to the game tonight where they will be issued with a free of charge replacement.

    ‘Well fans must hand their ticket over at the turnstile to collect the replacement as well as an additional ticket which will ensure complimentary travel to the next match with Aberdeen in March.

    Further transport details will be announced nearer the fixture on March 11 and all supporters are reminded to make sure they keep hold of their tickets.

    Please note, this does not apply to any complimentary tickets.

    The club would like to thank Aberdeen for their help with this matter and would like to wish you all a safe journey to and from the game.

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Excelsior Stadium

    Extended highlights from Excelsior Stadium as the under 20s defeat St Johnstone 3-1 with goals from Blyth, Turnbull and Gordon.

  • Archive

    Gordon: Happy with performance

    Shea Gordon scored his first goal in a Motherwell jersey after completing his January loan switch.

    And after the under 20s won 3-1 against St Johnstone, the youngster caught up with MFC TV.

    He said: “I thought it was really good but it was a tough test too. In the first half I feel we did really well and although they had their spells – I think we deserved it in the end.”

    For more exclusive content, subscribe to MFC TV’s YouTube channel.

  • Archive

    Craigan: Always room to improve

    A pleased Stephen Craigan admitted there is always room for improvement after his side won 3-1 against St Johnstone in the Development League tonight.

    The Northern Irishman was pleased with the result and the first half performance, as well as bouncing back to winning ways.

    Speaking to MFC TV, he said: “I was pleased with the first half, and I think we deserved to be in front more than we actually were.

    “We got in behind, they had a few blocks from our shots on the edge of the area, so I was pleased with it.

    [pullquote]I was pleased with the first half, and I think we deserved to be in front more than we actually were.[/pullquote]

    “We don’t normally play 4-4-2 but because of the personnel available we had to try and go that way.”

    After a difficult, busy week, Craigan expressed the importance of his team bouncing back to winning ways.

    He said: “In the second half we obviously got ourselves three nil up and then we just had to see it out.

    “We didn’t play particularly well in the last 20-25 minutes but it’s been a long week for the boys because they’ve played three games in a week.”

    He added: “There’s always things to work on but ultimately we’ve won the game and that’s the most important thing.”

  • Archive

    Motherwell U20s 3 – 1 St Johnstone U20s

    Motherwell under 20s returned to winning ways tonight with a 3-1 win over St Johnstone in the Development League.

    A Jacob Blyth penalty, a Davie Turnbull strike and a Shea Gordon lob was enough for the Steelmen who looked comfortable as they picked up all three points at the Excelsior Stadium.

    Jacob Blyth started his second match in a row for the under 20s, while Stephen Craigan also called upon the suspended Carl McHugh for his side’s third game in a week.

    The visitors started positively and Oliver Pain had to be alert from the first whistle. A thumping effort from Michael Coulson from the edge of the area forced the keeper to turn the ball round his post with a terrific, diving save.

    From the resulting corner, Smith got a strong header on target which beat Pain but was cleared off the line by Tom Fry.

    Motherwell grew in to the game fairly quickly though and in the tenth minute had an effort of their own cleared off the line. Dylan Mackin and Jake Hastie linked up well down the left and a neat one-two released the latter into the box, but his stinging low ball across the face was hooked away from danger.

    Shea Gordon found himself in an advanced position when Mackin’s header down fell neatly for the midfielder, but he took a fraction too long to adjust and his effort from six yards was blocked by Daniel Jardine.

    The Steelmen passed up a terrific chance just a minute later when Blyth slipped in Hastie. The winger had support to his left in Davie Turnbull who, if he received it, would have been one-on-one, but the crucial pass was intercepted.

    Just after the 20th minute, Motherwell took the lead from a penalty.

    St Johnstone failed to clear a ball in to the box from the right and Blyth, who attempted to bring it down, tumbled to the deck after a blatant push. The forward stepped up and made no mistake from the spot, thundering his penalty past McKenzie.

    The cliché “you’re most dangerous when you’ve just scored” was nearly summed up by the immediate chance for the visitors.

    Racing forward from centre, George Hunter received the ball and struck a powerful effort on target, forcing a fantastic save from Pain to keep the Steelmen in front.

    Motherwell dominated most of the ball from then on, but neither side created too many chances.

    Blyth nodded a header on target but it didn’t have enough on it to beat McKenzie, while down the other end Coulson had an effort denied comfortably by Pain.

    A neat through ball from Mackin towards the advancing Gordon nearly produced a fine ‘Well goal after 35 minutes, but the Saints keeper was quick off his line and smothered the danger.

    The Northern Irishman did find the back of the net though in the second half, but not before Davie Turnbull doubled ‘Well’s lead.

    Hastie slipped in the youngster down the right flank, he cut on to his left foot just inside the box and struck an unstoppable finish in to the top corner.

    With the next chance, Motherwell had their third – and what a tremendous goal too.

    A pinpoint ball over the top of the Saints defence left Gordon with just McKenzie to beat. He let the ball bounce once before lifting it over the keeper with the inside of his boot. Tremendous goal which involved just two touches.

    St Johnstone responded immediately though, and it was a good goal for the visitors too. A deep cross in to the box found the full-back Smith, who rose high to head down past Pain.

    Stephen Craigan made his first change just before the 70th minute, replacing Mackin with the pacey forward Alfie Agyeman. Saints followed suit immediately and brought off Coulson to bring on Jamie Docherty.

    The game fizzled out somewhat after that, with neither side really testing either keeper.

    Substitue Docherty should have reduced the deficit in the final seconds though, firing over from six yards. Maguire did enough to force him off balance and keep the two goal lead.


    Motherwell: Pain, Fry, Livingstone, Maguire, Armstrong, McHugh, Blyth, Turnbull, Mackin (Agyeman ‘69), Hastie, Gordon


    Unused subs: Pettigrew, Scott, Semple, McDonald

  • Archive

    McGhee: Focussing on positives

    Mark McGhee is focussing on the positives of a weekend off as his side prepare for Aberdeen tomorrow night.

    Injured defenders Richard Tait and Stevie Hammell have been able to recover from knocks while Jacob Blyth, Elliott Frear, Joe Chalmers and Stephen Pearson got some game time under their belts recently with the under 20s.

    Speaking to the press this morning, the manager said: “We’ve had a couple of reserve games, we’ve got another one tonight and Jacob Blyth will get another bit of that – he had his first game back.”

    He added: “It’s also allowed Hammy and Taity to recover a bit because if they had of played on Saturday they wouldn’t have been fit for tomorrow. Pearo’s had a good week too, he got a game with the under 20s.”

    The ‘Well boss admitted that he was disappointed not to have a game, but was in a positive frame of mind.

    [pullquote]I felt that even after the Hearts game we were in a good frame of mind so I would’ve liked another game on Saturday but it wasn’t to be – so we will accentuate all the positives because we’ve got something out of the short break.[/pullquote]

    He said: “With these sort of things you always accentuate the positives. I felt that even after the Hearts game we were in a good frame of mind so I would’ve liked another game on Saturday but it wasn’t to be – so we will accentuate all the positives because we’ve got something out of the short break.

    “We’re learning that this season is going to be punctuated by these breaks so we just have to make the best of it.”

    With the split approaching, McGhee revealed he plans to approach the remainder of the season one game at a time.

    He said: “I think we can start to build now. We’ve got enough games left now to focus on to get ourselves in to the top six.

    “If we don’t get beat tomorrow night we’ll go in to the top six, so we’ll just approach it incrementally.”

  • Archive

    Lucas: Bringing something different

    Midfielder Lee Lucas hopes to bring something different to the team every time he steps on the pitch.

    Ahead of the Steelmen’s clash with Aberdeen and after a recent break through suspension, Lucas is fired up for tomorrow night’s league fixture and hopes to rediscover his match sharpness.

    Speaking to the press this morning, the Welshman said: “The past few months have been good, I worked my way in to the team in the few games before Christmas but then had that two match suspension after the Hamilton game so that was a bit frustrating.”

    He added: “That meant that I missed the two Rangers games which was unfortunate and with the winter break in between all of that it felt even longer.

    [pullquote]When I play, that’s just what I hope to do – add something different and that’s what the manager has brought me in for.[/pullquote]

    “Now I’m just trying to get back playing and get that match sharpness back. We’ve got a competitive squad now and we’ve got strength throughout– everyone wants to play.”

    ‘Well boss Mark McGhee described Lee Lucas as “the best footballer” among his midfield options.

    And when asked about those comments, the 24-year-old admitted that his tyle of play is something he has developed from a young age.

    He said: “It’s always nice to hear that and that’s just the way I’ve been brought up from my time at Swansea – that’s just what I know.

    “When I play, that’s just what I hope to do – add something different and that’s what the manager has brought me in for.”

    He added: “Whenever I get the chance that’s what I hope to do and help the team.”

  • Archive

    Muir to officiate Dons clash

    Referee for tomorrow’s away trip to Aberdeen in the Ladbrokes Premiership is Alan Muir.

    The 41-year old takes charge of his second full Motherwell match of the 2016/17 season, after overseeing the 1-1 draw away to Ross County.

    He was also in charge for the brief outing at Pittodrie earlier this season, but had to call an early stop to proceedings when there was a floodlight failure.

    A penalty from Louis Moult drew the Steelmen level following Liam Boyce’s opener in Muir’s first Steelmen fixture this term.

    And that match was his first since October 2015 – when the Steelmen lost 1-0 to Celtic at Fir Park.

    Nadir Ciftci’s early goal was enough for the visitors that day as the Glaswegians went on to win the title.

    That was Muir’s only ‘Well match last season, and the time before that was a 2-1 win over Inverness CT at Fir Park back in February 2015.

    Lionel Ainsworth’s 84th minute winner proved to be the difference that day, despite the Fir Parkers being reduced to ten men after Muir showed right-back Simon Ramsden his second booking of the game in the 88th minute.

    Muir took charge on three occasions that season – the other two matches both resulted in 1-0 scorelines.

    The first of the season was a disappointing 1-0 though, as Baraclough’s side slumped to a 1-0 loss to St Johnstone at Fir Park.

    Then came an important 1-0 win away to St Mirren – where John Sutton’s strike was the difference.

    In total, Muir has refereed 23 matches involving the ‘Well since his first back in the 08/09 season.

    When the Scotsman has been in charge, the ‘Well have won on 10 occasions, drawn five and lost eight.

    In those games, Motherwell have scored 27 and conceded 30.

    84 players have gone into the book, 44 were wearing claret and amber, while nine players, five Fir Parkers, including former and current captains Stephen Craigan and Keith Lasley, have been dismissed.

    Muir will be ably assisted by Stephen Mitchell and Stuart Hodge; with John McKendrick on fourth official duties.

  • Archive

    ‘Well U20s set for Saints

    Motherwell U20s face St Johnstone in the Development League tomorrow night as their busy schedule continues.

    And after a positive second half display against Celtic on Friday night, manager Stephen Craigan will be eager to see his youngsters get back in to action following two consecutive defeats.

    Goals from Jake Hastie and Jacob Blyth helped spur on what could have been an impressive fightback, but a poor opening 45 left the Fir Parkers with too big a task to overturn and Celtic held on to win 3-2.

    Elliott Frear, Joe Chalmers and David Ferguson also got game time under their belts, with new arrival Frear impressing at the Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium in front of Mark McGhee and James McFadden, who watched on.

    Craigan’s side currently sit second in the Development League table, four points behind leaders Hibs who have a game in hand.

    The match kicks off at 6pm tomorrow night at the Excelsior Stadium.

    You can follow all of the action as it happens on the club’s official twitter account – @MotherwellFC

  • Archive

    Made in Motherwell: Ian St John

    A finisher of supreme quality ‘Ancell Babe’ Ian St John would serve his home-town club well as both player and manager. 

    Born in Motherwell, St John was at Hampden as a thirteen-year-old to witness the Steelmen lift the Scottish Cup for the very first time in 1952 and five years later he would sign for his boyhood heroes. Over the course of the next four years he would torment defences across the country netting 80 goals in 113 league games.

    His hat-trick in a League Cup tie against Hibernian in 1959, which was despatched in little more than two-and-a-half minutes gained St John massive exposure but his consistent rate of finishing had already alerted the attention of the international selectors and a host of interested managers; and it was in that same year he was awarded the first of his caps for Scotland.

    Making his international bow at the age of just 20, Ian would go on to net 9 times in 21 appearances for his country.

    In 1961 St John signed for Liverpool for £37,500 then the Anfield side’s record transfer fee paid and he would go on to enjoy a glorious decade with Bill Shankly’s side as they were transformed from the Second Division also rans that Shankly inherited.

    In 1973 Ian was tempted back to Lanarkshire putting together one of Motherwell’s most famous front-line partnerships in his former team-mate Bobby Graham and Willie Pettigrew.

    Sadly St John’s time in the dugout at Fir Park would last little more than a year when he was lured to Portsmouth by promises of finance and support that well outstripped what Motherwell could offer.

    In time St John would become involved in broadcasting and he became a household name to another generation of football fans. Linking up with former England striker Jimmy Greaves the duo’s ‘Saint and Greavsie’ shows were watched by close to six million viewers between 1985 and 1992.

    Whilst Liverpool had captured the former striker’s heart he often took the chance to portray his first love, Motherwell, in a positive light when the opportunity arose.

    In 2008 the striker was inducted into the Scottish Football Hall of Fame.