Latest News

  • Archive

    Dundee 0 – 1 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Rose: We work hard for each other

  • Archive

    Build-up: Dundee

  • Archive

    Robinson: Focused on our football

  • Archive

    Finnie in charge of Dee clash

  • Archive

    A thank you from the Chairman

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Hampden

  • Archive

    Semi-final win in pictures

  • Archive

    Robinson: Richly deserved for the club

  • Archive

    Rangers 0 – 2 Motherwell

  • Archive

    Dundee 0 – 1 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

    Lewis Irons at Dens Park

    Motherwell moved up to third in the Ladbrokes Premiership with a clinical 1-0 win over Dundee.

    An early goal from Craig Tanner was enough at Den’s Park as the Steelmen made it four wins on the bounce whilst recording their eighth clean sheet of the season in the process.

    Stephen Robinson rang the changes following his sides efforts at Hampden on Sunday, giving Chris Cadden, Allan Campbell, Andy Rose and Louis Moult well earned rests, whilst giving Elliott Frear, Gaël Bigirimana, Craig Tanner and Alex Fisher well-earned starts.

    And the fresh faces made an immediate impact, with Tanner firing the Fir Parkers ahead inside the first five minutes.

    A clipped ball towards the ‘Well front men was nodded down neatly by Bowman in to the path of Tanner, who’s clever touch kept away the surrounding Dee defence and afforded the Englishman the time to finish high past the helpless Scott Bain.

    Motherwell’s number 27 nearly had his second of the game just five minutes later when a clever, low corner found the peeling run of the goalscorer, who struck it low and hard on target, only for Bain to palm away from danger.

    Fisher and Frear looked lively all evening and the latter sent in a terrific cross in the 16th minute which fizzed across the six-yard box, whilst the former struck a terrific low effort on target from the edge of the box which Bain did well to keep out.

    Shortly after the half hour mark, the hosts were handed a golden opportunity to grab an equaliser despite barely laying a glove on the Steelmen for the opening 30 minutes.

    A clear tackle from Carl McHugh trundled all the way back towards Trevor Carson who had time to think before picking the ball up, which referee Stephen Finnie deemed to be a pass back – resulting in an indirect freekick for Neil McCann’s side.

    Kevin Holt laid it off for Roarie Deacon but the Dee man fluffed his chance and dragged his effort well wide of the mark.

    The home side had the ball in the back of the net in the 41st minute but it was disallowed due to Sofien Moussa’s clear push on Peter Hartley as the striker nodded the ball home.

    Dundee started to drag themselves back in to the fixture but half time arrived at a good time for the ‘Well, who had started to let their hold on the match slip following a superb start.

    Chris Cadden was introduced to the action early in the second half before goal scorer Tanner made way on the hour mark to be replaced by Louis Moult.

    Just seconds after the change, the Fir Parkers were inches from doubling their lead when Frear’s delightful cross curled between Bain and his backtracking defence and just narrowly ahead of the onrushing Tait, who was the only one who read the cross but couldn’t quite prod it home.

    Nine minutes from time, Bigirimana should have made it two and with it, all but confirmed the three points when he linked up brilliantly with Moult.

    The Burundian played it in to the substitute, who flicked a neat back-heel in to the midfielders run, but his touch took the last Dee man out of the game to leave him with just Bain to beat, but his finish was straight at the stopper.

    Moult went close with a freekick in the final few minutes, but a slight deflection off the top of the wall took it away from goal and kept the deficit to one with just stoppage time remaining.

    The Steelmen saw the game out well, keeping the ball and keeping the hosts pegged back in their own half, with one tame Marcus Haber header the only real threat on Carson’s goal in the final stages of the match as some crucial clearing headers from Tait, Kipré, Dunne, McHugh and Frear quelled any long hopeful long balls from the home side.


     Alastair Reilly at Dens Park

    FT: Dundee 0 – 1 Motherwell.

    The Steelmen leave Dens park with their first three points since 2013. COYW!!!!!!

    FULL TIME!!!

    90′ | 0-1
    There will be three minutes added on

    86′ | 0-1
    Decent chance there for Haber but again it’s a routine stop for Carson from the header

    83′ | 0-1
    Chance here as Cadden wins a free-kick 25 yards out…Moult’s shot is deflected over the bar.

    81′ | 0-1
    What a chance for Bigirimana as he gets on the end of Moult’s backheel but Bain makes a sensational save to deny him!

    70′ | 0-1
    Cadden booked for kicking the ball away as Dundee had a free-kick

    Motherwell also make a change, Grimshaw on for Hartley

    65′ | 0-1
    Dundee make their final change, Moussa off for Leitch-Smith

    60′ | 0-1
    Great ball across the face of goal from Frear which is read by Tait but he is inches away from making contact

    59′ | 0-1
    Motherwell sub, Tanner off for Moult

    56′ | 0-1

    And a Dundee change, Deacon off for McGowan.

    53′ | 0-1
    Motherwell sub, Bowman makes way for Cadden

    52′ | 0-1
    Great wing play by Frear cutting in off the left but he can’t quite find a man with his cut-back.

    Kamara gets the second 45 underway. COYW!!

    HT: Dundee 0 – 1 Motherwell

    The Steelmen with a goal advantage going into the break.

    45′ | 0-1
    There will be two minutes added on.

    43′ | 0-1
    Great chance for Moussa to level but he fires harmlessly at Carson from 12 yards.

    41′ | 0-1
    Dundee have the ball in the net but it’s disallowed. Not entirely sure why….

    39′ | 0-1
    Close. Corner is sent looping into the air at the front post then headed over the bar by Hartley.

    35′ | 0-1
    Deacon fires the free-kick well wide of the post.

    33′ | 0-1
    Indirect free-kick to Dundee inside the box. McHugh hits the ball but was never an intentional pass back which Carson picked up

    31′ | 0-1
    Dundee sub, O’Dea off for Waddell

    30′ | 0-1
    O’Dea booked for a clear shoulder charge on Tanner as he broke away.

    27′ | 0-1
    Deacon booked for a high tackle on Tanner inside the Motherwell half.

    24′ | 0-1
    ‘Well have a free-kick wide on the left which Tait whips in but Bain punches to safety.

    18′ | 0-1
    Nice turn and low shot from distance by Fisher is well saved by Bain, low to his right. Great effort.

    16′ | 0-1
    Close! Frear fizzes a ball across goal and somehow the Dundee defence manage to clear!

    10′ | 0-1
    ‘Well work a short corner which gives Tanner some space inside the box but his shot is palmed away by Bain.

    5′ | 0-1
    Ball is clipped into Fisher, which was nodded on to the path of TANNER who poked the ball past Bain!!


    Tanner gets the action underway. COYW!!

    Out come both sides, it’s a cold one up here in Dundee. Usual colours for each team.


    Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson:


    Dundee manager Neil McCann




    [poll id=”332″]

  • Archive

    Rose: We work hard for each other

    Andy Rose hailed the team spirit of the Motherwell squad ahead of their second match in four days.

    The midfielder looked ahead to tonight’s clash with Dundee and reflected on a hard-fought semi-final victory over Rangers on Sunday.

    And the Australian admitted he hopes good things will continue to follow the hard work put in by all of the players and staff at Fir Park.

    [pullquote]A big strength of ours is that we know what we are as a team and I think we understand that our strength is the fact that we are such a close unit and a real team, we have great mentality – everybody pushes and works for each other.[/pullquote]

    He said: “A big strength of ours is that we know what we are as a team and I think we understand that our strength is the fact that we are such a close unit and a real team, we have great mentality – everybody pushes and works for each other.

    “It doesn’t matter who scores the goals on any given day, everybody is just as excited for the next person to step up and get the headlines.”

    He added: “Those sorts of little things for us aren’t important we just want to continue to push each other every day, work hard, and hopefully good things follow that.”


  • Archive

    Build-up: Dundee

    Motherwell return to Ladbrokes Premiership action tomorrow night with a trip to Den’s Park on the cards for Robinson’s men.

    And in what is the third consecutive fixture away from Fir Park, the Steelmen will be looking to maintain their fine run of form on the road – having lost just once away from home this season.

    However, the encounter will be a difficult one for the ‘Well, who are set for their second fixture in four days following the semi-final victory over Rangers.

    And with Hibernian awaiting Robinson’s men on Saturday, tomorrow nights clash falls in the middle of a busy run of three games in a week.

    Hosts Dundee are without a win in their last two matches but have not lost at Den’s Park in the league since the opening day defeat to Ross County.

    Neil McCann’s men will prove to be formidable opposition for Motherwell, even in the sort of form the Fir Parkers are in at the moment.

    But with a well-drilled attitude among the squad, Robinson admitted his side will be fully focussed and hungry to notch their 13th domestic win of the season.

    The Northern Irishman admitted his side are “very happy” but also “focussed on playing football”.

    He said: “We’ve beaten the team second in the table, we’ve beaten the side third in the table, so now we deserve the right to play the team top of the table in the final. We’re all very, very happy but also cautious not to get too carried away with things and our focus now very much turns to Dundee.”

    [pullquote]I said to them that they could come back here and have a beer if they wanted to… but they said no. They wanted to show their face, acknowledge the crowd and get home to prepare for Dundee.[/pullquote]

    He added: “The passion on Alan MacDonald’s face, the kit man who has been here a lot longer than me and anybody else, when he came in to that dressing room was priceless, and that’s what I try and focus on.

    “We’ll have bad days, we’ll have bad games and bad periods but when we lose we lose together and everyone sticks together, and when we win we certainly enjoy it.”

    The Fir Park boss hailed the attitude of his players following that League Cup win and ahead of another important Premiership fixture.

    From the Vault: ‘Well 3 – 1 Dundee

    “I said to them that they could come back here and have a beer if they wanted to because I was certainly coming back to have one, but they said no.

    “They wanted to show their face, acknowledge the crowd and get home to prepare for Dundee.”

    He added: “We asked them about suits for the final because you obviously need to prepare that stuff and get things cut, but they don’t want suits – they’ll go in their tracksuits because they want to focus solely on playing football.

    “In our next month there are a lot of big, big games to play and that’s our sole focus and Dundee is very much where we’re heading now.”

    Despite the bumps and bruises of a hard-fought semi-final, Robinson revealed his players are all hungry to play and that his squad is near fully fit, with George Newell, Ellis Plummer and Deimantas Petravičius all nearing returns from injury.

    Dundee V Motherwell
    Wednesday 25th October 2017
    Dens Park, Dundee
    On sale now from the Fir Park ticket office. Also available on the gate.

    Admission prices are as follows:

    ADULTS £24
    STUDENTS/OVER 65 £16
    UNDER 18s £10
    • Fans who require ambulant or wheelchair access should contact Brian Davidson on 07725 917161

    If you can’t make it tomorrow, don’t miss the action by tuning in to for live commentary or follow the match on Twitter @MotherwellFC

    You can see the match highlights on MFC TV’s YouTube channel, as well as full reaction and a match report right here on the official website.

  • Archive

    Robinson: Focused on our football

    ‘Well boss Stephen Robinson turned his attentions to Dundee following Sunday’s semi-final win over Rangers.

    The Northern Irishman admitted his side are “very happy” but also “focussed on playing football”.

    And ahead of the club’s second game of three in the space of a week, Robinson looked ahead to his side’s tenth league encounter of the season.

    [pullquote]We’re all very, very happy but also cautious not to get too carried away with things and our focus now very much turns to Dundee.[/pullquote]

    He said: “We’ve beaten the team second in the table, we’ve beaten the side third in the table, so now we deserve the right to play the team top of the table in the final. We’re all very, very happy but also cautious not to get too carried away with things and our focus now very much turns to Dundee.”

    He added: “The passion on Alan MacDonald’s face, the kitman who has been here a lot longer than me and anybody else, when he came in to that dressing room was priceless, and that’s what I try and focus on.

    “We’ll have bad days, we’ll have bad games and bad periods but when we lose we lose together and everyone sticks together, and when we win we certainly enjoy it.”

  • Archive

    Finnie in charge of Dee clash

    Motherwell return to Premiership action on Wednesday night, with Stephen Finnie in charge for the club’s trip to Dundee.

    It is already the officials third ‘Well match of the new season after he took charge of the dramatic Ross County victory in the Betfred Cup, as well as Berwick Rangers visit to Fir Park in the group stages.

    That 1-0 victory wrapped up a perfect group for Stephen Robinson’s men and the official was again at Fir Park as the fourth official for the league opener against Rangers.

    But most memorably this campaign was the dramatic evening in Dingwall, when Ross MacLean sealed progression to the quarter-final of the league cup.

    The last time he was in the middle for a ‘Well clash with Dundee was the forgettable 5-1 home defeat against Dundee back in February.

    However, the time before that was an important 3-1 victory over Partick Thistle in February 2016, when three points lifted the Steelmen to eighth in the table.

    Louis Moult smashed a brace on that afternoon to take his tally to 16 for the season.

    Marvin Johnson then made it 3-0 on 69 minutes when he cut in from the right hand side and cracked a sweet low drive into the net.

    Callum Booth grabbed a consolation for Partick on 76 minutes when he drilled a low 20-yard effort past Connor Ripley.

    Stephen has taken charge of fourteen Motherwell games over his career, the Steelmen winning nine and losing five; curiously, no draws – although the County cup fixture took extra time to decide a winner.

    In those matches, he has dished out 54 cautions, 22 of which flashed at a player wearing Claret and Amber. Three players have been sent for an early bath, Scott Brown for a second bookable offence in a match at Parkhead in 2010 and Henrik Ojamaa in season 2014/15. Most recently, of course, was Charles Dunne for his last ditch tackle in Dingwall in the Betfred Cup clash.

    Stephen will be assisted by Graeme Leslie and Joseph Lawson. Nick Walsh will be on fourth official duties.

  • Archive

    A thank you from the Chairman

    Motherwell Football Club would like to acknowledge and thank its fans for their wonderful support in yesterday’s Semi Final.

    Backed by a large, noisy and loyal following from Lanarkshire, the Steelmen roared into the Betfred Cup Final for the first time in twelve years with the talismanic Louis Moult grabbing a brace in a 0-2 win.

    The Fir Parkers will now return to Hampden Park next month to take on Celtic, trying to win the League Cup for the first time in almost three-quarters of a century.

    Chairman Jim McMahon said: “It was such a wonderful occasion to see so many Motherwell fans at Hampden, giving the boys the backing they deserved.

    “We have received tremendous support both at Fir Park and on the road this season, and on behalf of everyone at the club, I would like to thank you for that.

    “We now have a huge Cup final to look forward to and I hope you will all, once again, join us for what will hopefully be another memorable afternoon.”

  • Archive

    TV: Highlights from Hampden

    Highlights from Hampden where a Louis Moult double secured the Steelmen’s place in the Betfred Cup final.

  • Archive

    Semi-final win in pictures

    Images from this afternoon’s win over Rangers at Hampden Park.

    Snaps courtesy of SNSPix

    [svgallery name=”rangers221017″]

  • Archive

    Robinson: Richly deserved for the club

    ‘Well boss Stephen Robinson reflected on a hard-fought semi-final victory over Rangers, and admitted it was “richly deserved” for the football club. 

    The Northern Irishman has now notched his 12th domestic victory of the season in 16 games, steering the Steelmen in to the Betfred Cup final.

    Speaking to MFC TV, a delighted Robinson dedicated the “little day of success” to the club, supporters and players as he quickly turned his sights to Wednesday night’s league clash with Dundee.

    [pullquote]There’s a lot of people who’ve been here a lot longer than me that richly deserve this little day of success. Hopefully we’ll give them something to cheer about again in the final.[/pullquote]

    “We’re delighted for the football club. As I’ve said in our previous interview there’s been a lot of dark times and hard times at this football club and there’s a lot of people who’ve been here a lot longer than me that richly deserve this little day of success. Hopefully we’ll give them something to cheer about again in the final.

    “In truth I don’t think we played very well in the first half and I thought our ball retention was poor. Cédric took about half an hour to get in to the game as he came down with an illness last night but we pushed him to play and he did and he grew in to the game.”

    He added: “Louis’ second goal was even better from where I was sitting but thankfully I won’t be watching it from there every week, but it was a fantastic goal – top, top class and deserves to win any game.”

  • Archive

    Rangers 0 – 2 Motherwell

    [tab:Match report]

    Phil McGhee at Hampden Park

    Stephen Robinson’s team created history with a first cup win over Rangers in over a half a century.

    And his recently assembled squad is now one hurdle away from becoming Motherwell legends when they head back to Hampden to face Celtic in the final of the Betfred Cup at the end of November.

    Louis Moult might have been the goal hero with a second half double but every player in claret and amber had a starring role as ‘Well tamed and overcame a more fancied Rangers.

    Despite a lengthy history of disappointing cup experiences at the hands of the Ibrox side, the huge ‘Well support travelled to Hampden with a genuine belief that a long overdue win was achievable.

    And following a slow start, the fans’ faith was repaid as the Steelmen controlled the final 15 minutes to signal wild celebrations at the final whistle.

    In a frenetic and physical opening, Rangers tried to hold possession while ‘Well opted to go directly from the back hoping to find Moult and Ryan Bowman. Subsequently, neither ‘keeper was troubled although most of the play was towards Trevor Carson’s goal.

    The first real chance though came ‘Well’s way after 12 minutes when a great interception by Cédric Kipré sent Alan Campbell scurrying towards the Gers’ goal but with support on either side of him the midfielder blasted his shot high over the bar.

    At the other end, a slip by Kirpe presented Alfredo Morelos with a chance but he dragged his effort well wide of Carson’s goal.

    It was on the half hour mark before the ‘Well ‘keeper made the first save of the game. After some desperate defending to ward off a series of tempting crosses from Daniel Candeias, Carson comfortably held Josh Windass’ low drive.

    From then until half-time, though, it was the Fir Park men who looked the more likely to make the breakthrough.

    Moult’s appeals for a penalty when his shot clattered off Declan John were waved aside but Chris Cadden played on forcing a good save from Jak Alnwick.

    Five minutes later and still recovering from a whack to the head, Moult’s deflected shot bounced narrowly past the post. With the striker off receiving treatment, Cadden whipped the corner into the six yard box and as Gers’ failed to clear the loose ball, Kipre hammered in a shot which was blocked on the line by Ryan Jack. As Peter Hartley waited to ram home the rebound, Alnwick made a terrific save to scoop the ball away from the defender’s boot.

    While ‘Well should have been ahead at the break only a brilliant stop from Carson standing strong to block Windass prevented Rangers from opening the scoring five minutes into the second half.

    However, it was ‘Well who broke the deadlock a minute later when the Gers’ defence was breached at the third time of asking

    Cadden’s corner to the back post was met by Hartley and after his header crashed off the bar, Moult’s header from the rebound was nodded on to the bar by Jack but Moult made sure lifting the ball high into the net to send the Motherwell fans wild.

    Bowman’s challenge with Fabio Cardoso resulted in a touch line skirmish between the managers with both being forced to watch the remainder of the game from the stand.

    With Keith Lasley left in the technical area, ‘Well made their first change in the 71st minute with Gael Bigirimana replacing the hard running Campbell. But before he could bring his calm influence to the game ‘Well had doubled their lead and the grip on the game.

    And it was a goal worthy of winning any cup tie. Charles Dunne clipped a long ball between Bruno Alves and Moult and before the Portuguese internationalist could react the Fir Park ace delicately hoisted the ball over the stranded Alnwick and under the ‘keeper’s bar for a finish of the highest quality.

    That sent the ‘Well fans into ecstasy and with 16 minutes still remaining knocked the stuffing out of the Ibrox side.

    While in previous encounters a Motherwell side might have buckled, Robinson’s men were resolute in defending their lead until the end with Carson required to make only one superb full length save from Morelos and earn himself another clean sheet and Motherwell a cup final place.


     Alastair Reilly at Hampden Park


    FT: Rangers 0 – 2 Motherwell

    @louismoult’s double sends the Steelmen into the final!!! COYW!!!!!!

    FULL TIME!!!!

    90+2′ | 0-2
    Cadden booked. Clearly frustrated as McCrorie went down easily.

    90′ | 0-2
    There will be four minutes added on.

    90′ | 0-2
    Motherwell sub, Bowman off for Fisher.

    85′ | 0-2
    Sensational save by Carson to deny Herrera!

    82′ | 0-2
    Decent chance for Bowman as he takes the ball down on his chest but he volleys well over the bar

    74′ | 0-2
    WHAT A GOAL!! Dunne’s ball over the top is incredibly clipped over Alnwick by MOULT!!!


    72′ | 0-1
    Motherwell sub, Bigirimana on for Campbell

    66′ | 0-1
    Both managers sent to the stand after a bit of a stramash following Cardoso leaving the pitch with a blood injury

    62′ | 0-1
    Ball is pulled back to the edge of the area where Candeias is lurking but he fires wildly over the bar.

    61′ | 0-1
    Campbell gets down the left but his cross/shot is gathered by Alnwick.

    60′ | 0-1
    Rangers sub, Pena off for Nemane

    58′ | 0-1
    Morelos booked after bundling Campbell over in the centre of the park.

    56′ | 0-1
    Alves plays his ‘keeper into danger with a short back pass but Bowman is just beaten to the ball.

    52′ | 0-1
    The Steelmen have the breakthrough!! Deep corner to Hartley which bounces around the box and is eventually hammered home by MOULT!


    51′ | 0-0
    Great chance for Rangers as the ball breaks to Windass inside the box but he stabs his effort straight at Carson

    50′ | 0-0
    Morelos’ cross into the box finds Pena but he heads well wide of the post.

    49′ | 0-0
    Hartley covers well, getting across the box the block at the feet of Morelos.

    McHugh gets the second 45 underway. COYW!!!

    HT: Rangers 0 – 0 Motherwell

    There will be one minute added on.

    42′ | 0-0
    Rangers counter a Motherwell corner which leads to John heading inches past the post.

    39′ | 0-0
    Moult currently receiving treatment for a blood injury after taking an elbow off Cardoso.

    39′ | 0-0
    Close! Moult’s shot from range is deflected wide for a corner… Kipré’s shot is cleared off the line by Jack!!

    36′ | 0-0
    Dangerous free-kick to Rangers after Tavernier trips himself up…..headed just wide by Alves.

    34′ | 0-0
    Alnwick is forced into a fine stop by Cadden, whose curling shot from inside the box looked goalbound.

    32′ | 0-0
    Windass with plenty of time and space to settle himself inside the box but he fires straight at Carson.

    31′ | 0-0
    Two chances there for Rangers but a combination of Hartley and McHugh leaves Carson untested.

    28′ | 0-0
    Candeias swings in a good ball but Carson is off his line quickly and punches clear.

    26′ | 0-0
    Harlety booked as his trailing foot catches Morelos and causes him to crumple to the ground.

    24′ | 0-0
    Rangers fans irate as Morelos goes down but Dunne got the vital touch on the ball

    23′ | 0-0
    Half chance for Bowman has he breaks away down the left but as he cuts inside he is crowded out and the chance is gone.

    20′ | 0-0
    Kipré can’t quite get enough on his header which allows Morelos in but thankfully he fires wide with his left foot

    17′ | 0-0
    Kipré clips a ball u to Moult which he takes in well but on the spin he can’t trouble Alnwick with his shot.

    13′ | 0-0
    Kipré dispossesses Jack in an advanced position which allows Campbell some time to drive forward but he shoots well over.

    7′ | 0-0
    Bowman booked for a flailing arm which caught Cardoso on the face.

    1′ | 0-0
    Early chance for Rangers as Windass gets on the end of flick-on but his shot is comfortable for Carson.

    Rangers get the action underway. COYW!!!!


    Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson:


    Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha




    [poll id=”331″]