Latest News

  • First team

    Hammell reacts to St Johnstone loss

  • First team

    Motherwell 1 – 2 St Johnstone

  • First team

    Liam Kelly is looking up

  • First team

    Steven Hammell ahead of St Johnstone

  • Women

    Dundee United up first in SWPL

  • Women

    Gill Inglis named captain

  • First team

    Next Up: St Johnstone

  • First team

    St Mirren 0 – 1 Motherwell

  • Women

    Friendly victory against Gartcairn

  • First team

    Steven Hammell reacts to win over St Mirren

  • First team

    Hammell reacts to St Johnstone loss

    “The overwhelming feeling right now is disappointment. At the very least, we should be coming away with a point today.”

  • First team

    Motherwell 1 – 2 St Johnstone

    Motherwell 1 – 2 St Johnstone

    Stevie Hammell’s return to the Motherwell dugout as interim manager was a disappointing one, as St Johnstone nicked all three points with a late Stevie May winner.

    Stephen O’Donnell’s goal at the start of an additional six minutes cancelled out Jamie Murphy’s first half opener and provide the Steelmen with a deserved share of the points.

    Ultimately, despite a stirring second half, the the Fir Park men paid the penalty for a lackluster first forty five minutes. Until the final minutes the Perth side clung on to Murphy’s goal with some solid defending and a slice of luck to keep ‘Well at bay.

    On a pristine Fir Park pitch, the home fans seemed undaunted by the last performance against Sligo Rovers as they gave the players a rapturous welcome.

    Hammell made two changes, Bevis Mugabi coming in for the suspended Ricki Lamie and Stephen O’Donnell filling Jake Carroll’s spot at left back.

    In a positive start from the Steelmen, Sean Goss won a free kick wide of the box. Kevin van Veen elected to go for goal but his curling shot soared over the crossbar.

    Goss was next to try his luck after 16 minutes, but after being set up by Josh Morris 25 yards from goal, the left sided midfielder dragged his shot wide of target.

    Clumsy tackles and careless passing from both sides prevented either from gaining a hold on the game.

    The game needed a spark and it almost came from Saints after 25 minutes. After conceding possession at the edge of the box the ‘Well defenders could only watch as Theo Bair drove the ball straight at Liam Kelly.

    Motherwell failed to heed that warning and three minutes later they fell behind.

    Mugabi and Bair rose at the edge of the box and as the ball drifted behind them, former ‘Well goal scoring hero Murphy latched onto the ball before driving his shot low across the diving Kelly and inside the ‘keeper’s far post.

    That injected a bit of life into the home side and four minutes later they were inches away from an equaliser.

    Barry Maguire and Morris kept possession at the edge of the Saints’ box and when the ball bobbled to Connor Shields, he fired a speculative shot past Remi Matthews only to watch it bonce back off the ‘keeper’s right hand post.

    The home goal then had a lucky escape seven minutes from half-time.

    Cammy MacPherson headed the ball back across the face of Kelly’s goal but with Andy Considine standing a few yards from the goal-line Sondre Solholm hammered the ball off the former Aberdeen defender and away to safety.

    The first half ended with van Veen again firing over Matthews’ cross bar as the Saints’ ‘keeper waited to make his first save of the game.

    Hammell recognised his side’s lack of goal threat and brought on Dean Cornelius and Joe Efford for the start of the second half.

    And it had an immediate effect when van Veen sent Efford in behind Alex Mitchell but as the American striker was about to pull the trigger, the Saints’ defender made a terrific recovering tackle.

    At the other end Solholm made an equally impressive intervention to squeeze MacPherson’s cross just beyond the inrushing Bair.

    With an hour on the clock van Veen set out on a solo effort drifting across the box before his tame left foot drive gave Matthews a comfortable save.

    As ‘Well pressed for an equaliser, chaos in the Saints’ six yard box set up a chance for Shields only to see his effort blocked by the combined efforts of Matthews and Mitchell.

    Motherwell made another substitution after 67 minutes with Ross Tierney replacing Blair Spittal.

    Mugabi’s mazy fifty yard run after 74 minutes earned him applause from the ‘Well fans and a free kick wide on the right but the inswinging ball from Goss found no takers.

    A minute later McGinn’s inviting cross did find a team mate but Shields glancing header sent the ball wide when he really should have tested the ‘keeper.

    For the third time in the second half there were strong appeals for a Motherwell penalty when Ryan McGowan barged into Tierney’s back but once again Willie Collum ignored the claims.

    With eight minutes remaining Matthews’ was forced into a last gasp save when Goss mishit his trike from outside the box but the bounce was carrying the ball just under the bar until the ‘keeper raced back to palm the ball over his crossbar.

    In a final attempt to grab a point Irish striker Robbie Mahon was given 10 minutes to find an equaliser.

    In the first of six added on minutes ‘Well eventually found the net.

    Goss whipped a corner into the six yard box and O’Donnell’s header directed the ball low into the far corner of the goal.

    Incredibly, three minutes later Saints regained the lead.

    Following a corner McGowan steered a header behind the ‘Well defence, where May ghosted in to steer the ball low beyond Kelly and take all three points back to Perth.

  • First team

    Liam Kelly is looking up

    Liam Kelly is looking up

    After a week of tumult and torment, Liam Kelly’s shake of the head was borne out of a mixture of relief and pride.

    “Best feeling in the world,” muttered the Motherwell captain deep inside the tunnel at St Mirren, the noise of a vocal ‘Well support echoing down the long corridor way after full time.

    The contrast in emotions for Kelly and his team-mates at 5pm on Sunday were stark compared to what had gone on in the days before.

    Undone and outdone in Ireland on Thursday by Sligo Rovers, a sense of gloom grew deeper with the departure of Graham Alexander as manager the following day. Looking back just two weeks earlier before a competitive ball was kicked, this is not how it was meant to go.

    But for all the sleepless nights among supporters making their way back across the Irish Sea, the fact a dream start to the Premiership campaign was cleaved out on Sunday is a monumental source of satisfaction for Kelly as the Well keeper looks towards his first season as captain.

    “The most important thing on Sunday was getting the three points. It’s been a difficult couple of weeks, but it’s also been a difficult few months,” said Kelly.

    “The feeling on Sunday was fantastic and I think the scenes at the end, that’s what we want. That’s what Motherwell as a club is all about. That togetherness, from everyone on the touchline in the stand, they were all with us 100% of the way.

    “It’s the best possible start for us against a really good team.”

    For all that the exit from the Europa Conference League qualifiers wasn’t in the script for this Motherwell team, passion and pride have never been far away from the players or supporters.

    That point was personified in the role of Stevie Hammell on Sunday. The academy director was hauled home from a family holiday in Arran to look after first-team duties over the weekend, and already Kelly believes the Well legend has made his mark.

    With 582 appearances in claret and amber, the former left-back is Motherwell’s post-war record appearance holder. It is no surprise, then, that the respect of the dressing room has been firmly with 40-year- old.

    “He was full of passion,” said Kelly of Hammell’s pre-match team talk on Sunday.

    “You can tell the game and representing Motherwell is a massive thing for Hammy, as it is for every single person in that changing room, and that passion was shown towards us.

    “There were a lot of tactics, too, but he gave us a freedom to go and express ourselves and show what we can do. He’ll be looking forward to putting his own message across and all the boys are behind him. He’s had a really positive impact on the group, and you saw that on Sunday.

    “You see Hammy making his mark with Kian [Speirs, who got his debut on Sunday]. It’s great for him to come on the park. It would have been better if Ricki [Lamie] was still on as he would have been able to show his own assets, but I thought he did brilliantly when we went down to 10 men.

    “It’s good to show that it doesn’t matter what age you are. Whether you’re 16 or 36. If the manager at the time thinks you’re good enough, you get that opportunity. That’s what Motherwell has been about for as long as I can remember, and I know Stevie Hammell will be keen to promote the youth.”

    While the start of any new season is exciting, the forthcoming campaign represents a significant year for Motherwell’s No.1.

    Despite only being 26, Kelly takes over the duty as captain at Fir Park after being given the role by former manager Alexander before his departure.

    It’s clear this is a role Kelly takes great pride in. It’s no secret it suits his nature. During Covid times instructions and words of support were clearly audible to anyone lucky enough to be inside the stadium, so passing on messages shouldn’t be a problem.

    But more importantly, there is a positivity and dedication from Kelly which will stand him in good stead as he tries to be a leader on and off the pitch in ML1.

    “I do try and get the message from the manager across if we’ve been given instruction to play a certain way. I’ll commit to the manager’s plan and try to organise the team as best we can,” he said.

    “I enjoy speaking through the game. It keeps me focused and gives me the best chance if I’m needed.”

    Kelly added: “It’s an incredible privilege and honour to have been asked. Before the manager left, he asked me and it was a role I accepted.

    “Obviously Stephen O’Donnell was captain last season and I learned a lot from him about how to go about things and conduct myself. I just try to be myself. I think I have a brilliant relationship with everyone in the building, there’s not a person I don’t get on with. I try my best every week. I’m committed to the club, I’m committed to giving everything I can every week.

    “It’s an incredible privilege and an honour to be asked to be captain for this great club.”

    While things didn’t go to plan in either leg, Kelly says it was a pinch-me moment as he hauled on the arm band before walking his team out against Sligo at a jam packed Fir Park last month.

    Not that they need it, but Captain admits it provides added motivation to deliver success again this season for supporters.

    Last season’s fifth-place finish provided a shot at European football, but Kelly is keen to emphasise that an exciting campaign is just getting underway even if the sun has set on the Fir Park club’s European exploits.

    After Kevin van Veen’s penalty earned a hard-fought 1-0 victory on the opening weekend against St Mirren, overcoming the toughtask faced in St Johnstone today would help blow away the clouds which followed the claret and amber-clad support back from Sligo.

    “It was an unbelievable experience walking out as captain at Fir Park to see all the support. The display they put on was incredible. The responsibility and guilt that we didn’t give them the result they deserve is there, and it’s up to us to try and make up for that in the league and cup competitions this year.

    “As much as it will never replace doing well in a European competition, it’s the least we can do for the support that was given. It was an unbelievable experience.”

    Kelly’s heroics in goal on Sunday will come as little surprise to anyone who has watched him develop into an international- class goalkeeper during his time at Fir Park.

    An incredible reaction stop in Paisley in the first half – where an arm clawed the ball away while he was going in the opposite direction – was potentially outdone in the second half with a world-class stop to get down low and scoop a goalbound effort acrobatically over the bar.

    As mentioned already, this is a big season for Kelly at Fir Park, but also at international level. For the last 12 months, the former Queens Park Rangers shot stopper has been regularly chosen by Scotland boss Steve Clarke, however a maiden senior cap has yet to come the way of the talented goalie.

    But Kelly remains positive and optimistic. While veteran keeper Craig Gordon has been Scotland’s first-choice for some time, at just 26 Kelly has time on his side to push the Hearts man and anyone else who joins the national team to compete for a spot between the sticks.

    “I’ve been away with Scotland for the last year now, it’s the best possible achievement. You only get it if you’re doing well for the club and deems the performances good enough,” said the ex-Livingston man.

    “I’m playing with an incredibly talented group of players. My main focus is just trying to stay in amongst it and push the rest of the goalkeepers. I’m honest and open and vocal about the standard of the keepers in the league, and that’s no different with Scotland, none more so than with big Craig.

    “I’ll keep trying to play well for Motherwell and not take anything for granted, and push Craig as much as I can.”

    But how does a Scotland player pass the time?

    Previous interviews with former Motherwell man Declan Gallagher revealed, coffee clubs, Call of Duty platoons and various other exciting pursuits to keep the players ticking over while on international duty.

    “There’s a younger generation,” explained Kelly. “Me, Nathan Patterson, Ross Stewart, Jacob Brown enjoy chilling and playing a few games when we are away. It helps pass the time.

    “My group is a wee bit old school.”

  • First team

    Steven Hammell ahead of St Johnstone

    Caretaker manager Steven Hammell insists that his links with the vacant manager position are not in his thoughts ahead of Motherwell’s first cinch Premiership home match against St Johnstone.

    The former Motherwell man has been working hard with the team on the training pitch this week and has pushed questions about his own future to the back of his mind to prioritise tomorrow’s match.

  • Women

    Dundee United up first in SWPL

    Dundee United up first in SWPL

    Motherwell open their 2022/23 Scottish Women’s Premier League campaign with a trip to newly promoted Dundee United at Gussie Park.

    Kick-off is 4pm.

    Ticket information

    Tickets for the match cost £5, while concessions go free.

    It is pay-at-the-gate only. Please note, with a fixture taking place at Tannadice, Tannadice Street will be closed and street parking may be limited.

    Story of the Match

    Dundee United cruised SWPL2 last season and were crowned champions and are looking to now establish themselves as a top flight club.

    Motherwell took on Dundee United in their first pre-season match back in July, with London Pollard scoring the only goal of the game to secure a 1-0 victory for the women of steel.

    Paul Brownlie has made four new additions to his squad this season, all of them featuring in pre-season thus far.

    New signing Brogan Anderson netted four against Glasgow Women last month, with Motherwell signing off their pre-season schedule with a 6-1 win against Gartcairn.

  • Women

    Gill Inglis named captain

    Gill Inglis named captain

    Gill Inglis will remain as Motherwell captain for the third season running. 

    The midfielder has been trusted once again by head coach Paul Brownlie to lead the team for the 2022/23 campaign.

    “It’s a pleasure to keep the armband again this season,” Inglis said.

    “There is a lot of experience and leaders in the team so to be given the captain duties again this term, is really special to me.

    “I am looking forward to the responsibility again this season.”

  • First team

    Next Up: St Johnstone

    Next Up: St Johnstone

    Motherwell take on St Johnstone in their first home match of the 2022/23 cinch Premiership campaign at Fir Park.

    Kick-off is 3pm.


    Home and away supporters are able to buy tickets online here.

    St Johnstone fans are able to purchase from the ticket booth adjacent to the Tommy McLean Stand on the day of the game.

    Ticket prices:

    Hunter StandO’Donnell, Cooper, McLean Stand
    Young Adults£10£10
    – Concessions Tickets would be ages 65 and over and FT Students with a valid matric card.
    – Young Adults tickets would ages 12 to 17.
    – Juveniles would be 11 and under.
    – Family tickets would be one adult / senior citizen concession and x2 juveniles.
    How to follow game online

    PPV and virtual season ticket options are not available for cinch Premiership matches this season. This will be the case for all 2022/23 cinch Premiership matches this season.

    If you are outside the UK, you can watch the game via Motherwell TV.

    Should you be in the UK, it will be live commentary only.

    The Story of the Match

    Steven Hammell and Brian Kerr will be in the dugout for their second match in charge, following Graham Alexander’s departure.

    Caretaker Hammell secured a 1-0 opening day victory against St Mirren last Sunday, with Kevin van Veen scoring the only goal of the game from the penalty spot.

    Ricki Lamie was sent off in the second half will be absent for the next two matches.

    St Johnstone narrowly lost out 1-0 to Hibernian in their opening day match at McDiarmid Park. Josh Campbell scored in the 91st minute to sink the Saints to an opening day defeat.

    Captain Murray Davidson saw red for a strong tackle in the second half and will subsequently miss the game at Fir Park.

    Match Officials
    • Referee: William Collum
    • AR1: Frank Connor
    • AR2: Stuart Stevenson
    • Fourth Official: Mike Roncone
  • First team

    St Mirren 0 – 1 Motherwell

    St Mirren 0 – 1 Motherwell

    Motherwell kicked off the cinch Premiership season with a 0-1 win away to St Mirren in Paisley.

    Kevin van Veen’s penalty in the 42nd minute was enough to take all three points back to Lanarkshire.


    Steven Hammell made three changes to the side that lost to Sligo. In came Solholm, Shields and Goss and out went Mugabi, Tierney and Slattery (suspended).

    The winning goal

    Just before half-time Motherwell made the breakthrough. Blair Spittal saw his shot blocked by a hand in the box and John Beaton didn’t hesitate to point to the spot.

    Van Veen cooly stepped up and sent Carson the wrong way to give ‘Well the lead at the break.

    Five talking points
    • Motherwell were forced into an early change as Paul McGinn suffered a nasty head clash with Mark O’Hara. He came off with blood pouring from the wound and will be assessed for next week’s game.
    • With the first half coming to a close, Liam Kelly pulled off an early contender for save of the season. Jonah Ayunga looked certain to score with his head from 12 yards but the Scotland International made  an incredible save, with his weight going in the opposite directed he clawed it away from goal and palmed the follow-up away to safety.
    • Motherwell finished the game with ten men. Ricki Lamie saw red for a clumsy looking challenge on Baccus on the edge of the box.
    • Incredibly, Kelly produced a second world-class stop. This time Tait swung in a cross from the left wing and Main’s touch could easily have deceived the ‘keeper but he got down sharply and scooped the ball wide of the post.
    • 18-year-old Kian Speirs was handed his first-team debut. Stevie Hammell trusted the academy graduate in the middle of the park as he replaced Sean Goss with 20 minutes to go. The youngster will be pleased with his contribution.

    Motherwell: Kelly, McGinn (O’Donnell, 19), Solholm, Lamie (Sent off, 82) , Carroll, Spittal (Cornelius, 62), Goss (Speirs, 67), Shields, van Veen (Mugabi, 85), Morris (Efford, 68).

    St Mirren:  Carson, Gallagher,  Shaughnessy, Dunne, Strain (Henderson, 73), Baccus, Erhahon, O’Hara (Flynn, 45), Tanser (Tait, 52), Ayunga, Grieve (Main, 62)

    Attendance: 5,668

  • Women

    Friendly victory against Gartcairn

    Friendly victory against Gartcairn

    Motherwell finalised their preparations for the new SWPL1 season with a commanding 6-1 victory over Gartcairn on Sunday.

    Carla Boyce broke the deadlock in the opening minute before Lauren Doran-Barr netted seconds later.

    Kaela McDonald-Nguah prodded home a third on the stroke of half-time to give Motherwell a strong advantage heading into the break. Goals from McDonald-Nguah, Georgie Rafferty and Amy Anderson followed to cement an excellent afternoon for the women of steel.

    Motherwell started on the front foot and deservedly found the opener after only 40 seconds. Gill Inglis’ mistimed half-volley sailed invitingly into the path of Boyce who coolly converted at the back post.

    Seconds after the restart, Motherwell doubled their advantage. Doran-Barr skipped past her opponent with ease on the right before accurately dispatching her effort into the top-left corner from an acute angle.

    It was three on the stroke of half-time. Boyce skilfully cut inside from the left before chipping a delightful through ball to McDonald-Nguah who quietly escaped her marker to tap home from close-range.

    Motherwell continued to threaten and almost found a fourth in the opening stages of the second half. Kodie Hay brilliantly worked her way into the box with two clever nutmegs before teeing up Boyce at the edge of the box, but the forwards strike failed to trouble the keeper.

    Nevertheless, the women of steel’s attacking prowess shone through as they added a fourth early into the second half. McDonald-Nguah tried her luck from distance, and her deflected effort fell kindly to Inglis at the back post, who slotted the rebound into the bottom corner.

    On 67 minutes, it was five. Georgie Rafferty was on hand to calmly divert Katie Rice’s floated corner kick into the bottom-left corner.

    With the full-time whistle looming, Gartcairn netted a late consolation. Successfully anticipating the offside trap, Cattrell caught the Motherwell defence by surprise, and the forward’s powerful attempt sailed into the top corner.

    A. Anderson got her name on the scoresheet in the dying stages with an emphatic strike from distance to round off a positive display from Paul Brownlie’s side

  • First team

    Steven Hammell reacts to win over St Mirren

    “We only had a short period of time to work with the players, but the message from the start was to come here and win.”